or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE847U & LC-70LE847U Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE847U & LC-70LE847U Owners Thread - Page 60

post #1771 of 2660
I just picked up an open box LC-70LE845U from BB for $2199 (open box). It had no box, no remote, and no 3D glasses. But from only having it home for a few hours, it seems like it's in great condition. Four weeks ago, I bought a new LC-70C6400U from Costco. That's the non-3D, non-Quattron, 120 Hz cheaper cousin of the 847U. We liked it, but the display didn't seem fast enough for watching football or hockey because the ball or the puck would disappear during fast motion. So now I have these two tvs side by side to do some comparing. One or both of them is going back.

The 6400U doesn't seem fast enough for sports or fast motion footage unless you turn every feature off. The color seems very good right out of the box. I don't think I see any clouding (though I'm not sure what that is), and there's minimal light bleed on the edges of a black screen (though that's not a huge deal for me).

The 847U is the most contrasty (?) screen I've ever seen....period. The blacks are extremely deep...too deep even...and the whites are mind popping at the same time. I went through the menus and reset everything back to factory specs. So far, the best settings I have found are 240 Hz (not Aquomotion), standard picture, film mode off, active contrast off, and digital noise reduction off. I tried watching with the dynamic picture setting, but the image was so oversaturated that the colors seem to bleed or glow. I'm going to watch football this afternoon and see how it looks. I'll also try some DVDs (regular and animated) to test out the picture.

If anyone has anything they want me to check out, please ask. Also, I haven't attempted to read this whole thread yet. If anyone is willing to point me to any key issues I should know about, I would be grateful. Thanks.
post #1772 of 2660
Here are settings that I find nicely balanced for all viewing situations.
I assume that you are able to access the functions from other remote control?
What will you do when you return the set without it's remote?
Are you going to get some 3D glasses? Maybe you can find them cheaper than $50 retail...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1444684/sharp-lc-70le845u-calibration-including-3d
post #1773 of 2660
Thanks johnfull. I enjoyed your two calibration threads and I'm looking forward to trying your settings out. Yes, I used the other remote to control the 845. It's not the exact same remote that comes with the 845. So if I keep the 845, I'll buy the proper remote from Best Buy Parts for $18.99. AFAIK, the 845 did not come with 3D glasses, at least not from Best Buy. The 847 does. I don't have any 3D content yet, except for DirecTV. But when the time comes, I'll probably pick some up on eBay. I don't think they'll get used very much, so the less I spend on them the better.

Can anyone recommend a decent HDMI splitter so I can A-B these two tvs?
post #1774 of 2660
Seems like I got glasses with the price of the 845. Prices fluctuate more then the price of two pair, though...
post #1775 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

Though I have all of the true motion, film modes turned off, it looks as though my tv still has "true motion" at times, you notice a random skip or stutter and then it seems normal. Does not matter what you play through, satellite box, streaming content or Blu-Ray

I notice this too but only for 60p content. Anything 24p plays just smooth as butter with no enhancements turned on. I did notice that if you select game mode that the 'sorta SOE processing' is gone.

I do not have cable so I don't have anyway to check the playback of interlaced content.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno View Post

game mode is a little "jacked"up in terms of color balance, pushing blue. I'm running movie mode calibrate with calman 4.0 and and i1Display 3. there is no SOE effect. might you be seeing DSE instead?

Edit: Movie mode doesn't suffer from it either. Just the 'User' setting does.

Edit 2: Movie mode does suffer from it but less, the picture jerks like it loses a frame instead. Less than the User mode but still not acceptable.Too bad Game mode doesn't offer 240hz as that significantly reduces the muddy screen in motion scenes.
Edited by almostinsane - 12/16/12 at 6:05pm
post #1776 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

I notice this too but only for 60p content. Anything 24p plays just smooth as butter with no enhancements turned on. I did notice that if you select game mode that the 'sorta SOE processing' is gone.
I do not have cable so I don't have anyway to check the playback of interlaced content.

Quick question. I have the Sharp 640 and get a very subtle SOE with all effects turned off in every mode except Game mode. Are you saying the 847 does the same thing, ie "sorta SOE processing"? I really like the picture otherwise but I can't stand this subtle SOE. Just curious if there is a Sharp model without it. By the way, my source is OTA HD.
post #1777 of 2660
Hello,

Need opinions pls smile.gif. Im planning on buying a 70"le847u, is this a good deal from paulstv.com, its $2,700 No tax and free white glove delivery.

Thanks
post #1778 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post

Quick question. I have the Sharp 640 and get a very subtle SOE with all effects turned off in every mode except Game mode. Are you saying the 847 does the same thing, ie "sorta SOE processing"? I really like the picture otherwise but I can't stand this subtle SOE. Just curious if there is a Sharp model without it. By the way, my source is OTA HD.

Yup, same issue.
post #1779 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

Yup, same issue.

That sucks. Thanks.
post #1780 of 2660
I played with my settings more, I will post them later on today when I get home. I for whatever reason was so completely focused on a few key things as I was tweaking the colors, it took me leaving and comming back to realize that there was a massive green push on key colors, as i just tweaked it a little more before posting my own settings isntead of sitting down for a bit.

I sat down for a good 2 hours tweaking some more last night, also using someones 10 point white balance settings and tweaking my own CMS settings etc, it looks pretty darn good so I will go ahead and post those later. I took periodic breaks and came back comparing with my plasma etc and now it seems that the colors are much better.

Remember though, every set is different!
post #1781 of 2660
I keep running into problems on black and white sources.
I had a setting I loved and then I watched 'Paper Moon' on DVD last night.
It was filmed with a red filter to deliberately give it harsh contrast to depict The Depression era.
Shadows all looked slightly pink and the sky looked pale green.
Back to the drawing board for a fine-tuning to be found at the end of this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1444684/sharp-lc-70le845u-calibration-including-3d

"...I made a change in the white balance:
The #9 step in the Red Drive on the 10-point color balance was changed from -30 (minimum) to -25, and Green reduced from +20 to +15 to remove occasional green tinge in highlights.
I tried more than this and it caused flesh tones to become less natural and more 'clay-faced' or orange. It's the right amount to correct without creating a new problem..."
post #1782 of 2660
john, this is where an instrument and software come in very handy. you dial it in and forget it. do it by eye and you'll always be tinkering. just different strokes for different folks?
post #1783 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by PillPu$her View Post

Can anyone recommend a decent HDMI splitter so I can A-B these two tvs?

try monoprice.com. I think I might have an extra one of these: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=2

pm me if you want it. make me an offer...
post #1784 of 2660
Cnet review of the 847U:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sharp-quattron-lc-70le847u/4505-6482_7-35118015.html

Even though I don't agree with David's review, I found his settings, when applied to my 847, were actually pretty accurate. His calibration results with a low color temp are the first that did not push yellow for me. The only issue for me was the use of the expanded color gamut. Other than that, it looks great. Will post some pix after work..

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-579990/sharp-lc-60le847u-picture-settings/

Sometimes 2D on this set looks like 3D. Especially Mila. She has great pretty eyes...hubba hubba. Pix from RE - Retribution with the CNET settings engaged:










Edited by myoda - 12/19/12 at 7:17am
post #1785 of 2660
I have a LC-70LE847U with some obvious 3D ghosting (cross-talk) problems. I'm using the Sharp AN-3DG20 3D glasses and both pairs are showing the same problem. I have phoned Sharp 3 times - each time the support person did not know what I was talking about... or I am very poor at communicating my problem. Of the three times I've called I've been; a) told to phone back, b) had the line go dead on me, and c) been put on hold, without explanation, for so long that I eventually hung up. In other words, I have not received any constructive info.

I have tried changing some TV settings to reduce the ghosting effect, but it is still pretty obvious. Some movies are worse than others - for example, The Avengers is terrible to the point that I've had people ask if we could just watch the 2D version. frown.gif

Does anyone know if there is a "bad batch" of TVs or glasses (prehaps a list of serial numbers that are known to have issues)? I'm sorry if this has already been addressed in this thread - I did a search and didn't find anything this specific.
post #1786 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by beren88 View Post

I have a LC-70LE847U with some obvious 3D ghosting (cross-talk) problems. I'm using the Sharp AN-3DG20 3D glasses and both pairs are showing the same problem. I have phoned Sharp 3 times - each time the support person did not know what I was talking about... or I am very poor at communicating my problem. Of the three times I've called I've been; a) told to phone back, b) had the line go dead on me, and c) been put on hold, without explanation, for so long that I eventually hung up. In other words, I have not received any constructive info.
I have tried changing some TV settings to reduce the ghosting effect, but it is still pretty obvious. Some movies are worse than others - for example, The Avengers is terrible to the point that I've had people ask if we could just watch the 2D version. frown.gif
Does anyone know if there is a "bad batch" of TVs or glasses (prehaps a list of serial numbers that are known to have issues)? I'm sorry if this has already been addressed in this thread - I did a search and didn't find anything this specific.

If it's that bad, you might need a tech to come out and swap out a couple of boards behind the panel. That's what happened to solve my 3D ghosting issue. I'd press the issue with Sharp until it is resolved.
post #1787 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno View Post

john, this is where an instrument and software come in very handy. you dial it in and forget it. do it by eye and you'll always be tinkering. just different strokes for different folks?

You're right, but I would tinker anyway. I'm the kind who is always distracted away from the plot by the way a film is put together, the way it's displayed, etc.
Call it ADDD or call it a trained eye that never rests (worked in color printing for 20 years), but I would tinker even with an intstrument.
One question, though; why do orthodox adjustments never boost the green? Cool is always defined by blue and warm by red. I prefer a sunny green/red yellow...
post #1788 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

The only issue for me was the use of the expanded color gamut.

Using expanded color gamut causes white to clip significantly. switch it off and no clipping. not to mention the damage to primary and secondary colors...
post #1789 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

If it's that bad, you might need a tech to come out and swap out a couple of boards behind the panel. That's what happened to solve my 3D ghosting issue. I'd press the issue with Sharp until it is resolved.

Myoda, So you had a ghosting/crosstalk problem that was resolved by a board swap? How much improvement did you see. Are you fully satisfied now by your 3D performance? I have read here people who complained of excessive crosstalk and those who report little. I realize that a lot depends on the movie you are watching and how much parallax is in the picture but I'm finding it hard to find a consensus as to whether the 70" Sharp is a good 3D TV. What is your take?
post #1790 of 2660
I'd say it is on par with my 3 years old Samsung Plasma - PN63C8000. There's crosstalk, some scenes more, some less. This is inherent in every flat panel.
post #1791 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by beren88 View Post

I have a LC-70LE847U with some obvious 3D ghosting (cross-talk) problems. I'm using the Sharp AN-3DG20 3D glasses and both pairs are showing the same problem. I have phoned Sharp 3 times - each time the support person did not know what I was talking about... or I am very poor at communicating my problem. Of the three times I've called I've been; a) told to phone back, b) had the line go dead on me, and c) been put on hold, without explanation, for so long that I eventually hung up. In other words, I have not received any constructive info.
I have tried changing some TV settings to reduce the ghosting effect, but it is still pretty obvious. Some movies are worse than others - for example, The Avengers is terrible to the point that I've had people ask if we could just watch the 2D version. frown.gif
Does anyone know if there is a "bad batch" of TVs or glasses (prehaps a list of serial numbers that are known to have issues)? I'm sorry if this has already been addressed in this thread - I did a search and didn't find anything this specific.

I was really worried my 847 was buggered when I was experiencing a lot of crosstalk out of the box. First of all, Avengers really is a terrible 3D disc. But once I saw bad crosstalk in Prometheus I knew something was up. This is a very silly thing to allow to happen, but in my attempts at sampling all my 3D content I found that I had been stacking blu-rays in a fashion that obstructed my 3D signal from the bottom left and right corners. Again, I know it's silly, but my 3D signal was weakened significantly. After I made sure it was completely clear, Prometheus looks nearly flawless. Avengers still has significant crosstalk, but that's mostly Joss Whedon's ineptitude with the format.

Simple troubleshooting suggestion, but ya never know!
post #1792 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan338 View Post

Hello,
Need opinions pls smile.gif. Im planning on buying a 70"le847u, is this a good deal from paulstv.com, its $2,700 No tax and free white glove delivery.
Thanks

Use google shopper and find the lowest price possible online. Send that price to Pauls for a "price match", and they'll call you back with a better offer.

That is exactly what I did, and I got the set for $2599, and a 100 dollar gift certificate to restaurant.com. I found PaulsTV to be pretty good, the shipping company was pretty horrible though.
post #1793 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGorman View Post

Turn the 10 point on. Those four visible settings are actually fourty.
Set Position value to 1, then set Red to +30, Green to +25, and Blue to +30.
Now, go back to Position and change it to 2. Then set Red to +10, Green to +7, and Blue to -2.
Now, go back to Position and change it to 3. Then set Red to -1, Green to -6, and Blue to -20.
Follow that pattern for positions 4 thru 10, plugging in the values according to my "chart",
If you are doing it right you should be able to switch the position value and watch the RGB numbers update to match the chart.
To see how these changes affect your picture, make the adjustments with a gray steps or ramp pattern on screen. Feel free to experiment with radical values to make the changes more visible. Not the effect on the shade of gray as well as where on the ramp the changes are visible.


Thanks CGGorman for explaining this. We couldn’t figure out why the 10 point settings had less options. Now I understand what the slider is for. THis will help greatly because when trying to calibrate at 30% and 80% I had a parabolic curve and 50% was off. (i.e. RGB well calibrated at 30 and 80 but red was 115% at 50% grey point)
post #1794 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

Cnet review of the 847U:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sharp-quattron-lc-70le847u/4505-6482_7-35118015.html
Even though I don't agree with David's review, I found his settings, when applied to my 847, were actually pretty accurate. His calibration results with a low color temp are the first that did not push yellow for me. The only issue for me was the use of the expanded color gamut. Other than that, it looks great. Will post some pix after work..
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-579990/sharp-lc-60le847u-picture-settings/

Don't agree with most of his review either, after seeing a few cnet review, and then seeing talked about tv's up close in personal, Im beginning to think they write all of their reviews in harsh lit rooms eek.gif as they view them. Or are just extremely biased wink.gif

Put my deposit in for the wonderful ChadB to come calibrate my TV for me come end of january biggrin.gif
post #1795 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by badchad65 View Post

Use google shopper and find the lowest price possible online. Send that price to Pauls for a "price match", and they'll call you back with a better offer.
That is exactly what I did, and I got the set for $2599, and a 100 dollar gift certificate to restaurant.com. I found PaulsTV to be pretty good, the shipping company was pretty horrible though.
I have been looking at pauls tv but have read how bad the reviews are on reseller ratings. How long did it take to get your tv? What were the issues with the shipping company and how did you solve them. Looking to pull the trigger asap between east coast and pauls, but the stories make me very very nervous. Some people have had to wait for 3 weeks and then nothing, and have had to cancel the order. Can you elaborate how your process went please?
post #1796 of 2660
My first scheduled delivery was 6 days after I placed the order.

I had exceptional circumstances that increased total delivery time to just over two weeks though (completely my own fault). I was out of town for the first delivery attempt and then hurricane Sandy hit which delayed shipping further. I would order again and be confident that I could receive a TV in 4-5 business days though.

My main hangup was the delivery time, and I believe it was the fault of the shipping company. I explicitly told Pauls I could only receive delivery AFTER 4pm since I work a full time job. They said it was no problem. On the first "courtesy call" from the delivery company, they said it was an extra $100 for "off hours delivery". I said no way, and called Pauls to complain. Pauls took care of it. After getting the "extra fee" waived, the delivery company then responded that the next time they would be "in the area" was 3 days out. Not a big deal, but in that time frame, hurricane Sandy formed. The hurricane delayed delivery another 3-4 days.

Then on the day of delivery, the truck driver calls and says: "I'm ten minutes from your house" at 11:00 AM. This was after a delay from Hurricane Sandy, and AFTER arguing about the "off hours" delivery. Because of the issues in dealing with the shipping company I opted to rush home from work and meet the guy. The TV comes out of the truck with a note on it that says "Do not deliver until after 4PM". I should have complained further, and had I pressed it, I'm sure the guy would have rescheduled until after 4.

Despite the inconvenience, I'd order again. If you look at "reseller ratings" you'll see that Pauls responds to their reviews. To me, that speaks a lot to their customer service.
post #1797 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefused View Post

I was really worried my 847 was buggered when I was experiencing a lot of crosstalk out of the box. First of all, Avengers really is a terrible 3D disc. But once I saw bad crosstalk in Prometheus I knew something was up. This is a very silly thing to allow to happen, but in my attempts at sampling all my 3D content I found that I had been stacking blu-rays in a fashion that obstructed my 3D signal from the bottom left and right corners. Again, I know it's silly, but my 3D signal was weakened significantly. After I made sure it was completely clear, Prometheus looks nearly flawless. Avengers still has significant crosstalk, but that's mostly Joss Whedon's ineptitude with the format.
Simple troubleshooting suggestion, but ya never know!
Thanks for the feedback. It is good to hear what others think of the crosstalk on various movies. It is so hard to quantify the severity of the crosstalk – especially when one movie differs from the next. Prometheus did look a lot better than Avengers. The TV is mounted high enough that there shouldn’t be anything in the way of the 3D signal transmitters, but I will double check and perhaps even give them a quick cleaning. I also noticed that the Auto 3D Depth (or whatever it is called) was causing some issues when it was turned on.
post #1798 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post

Myoda, So you had a ghosting/crosstalk problem that was resolved by a board swap? How much improvement did you see. Are you fully satisfied now by your 3D performance? I have read here people who complained of excessive crosstalk and those who report little. I realize that a lot depends on the movie you are watching and how much parallax is in the picture but I'm finding it hard to find a consensus as to whether the 70" Sharp is a good 3D TV. What is your take?

I am pleased with the 3D performance after the board swap. There was significant ghosting when trying to watch my first 3D disc that was bundled with my Sony BDP-S770 - Monster House 3D. After the boards were swapped out, Monster House played perfectly, with no crosstalk. After purchasing several 3D movies, I found that the movies that were converted to 3D have some depth, but overall, the 3D presentation is lacking. Specifically, Green Lantern, I Robot, and The Avengers. Some of the best 3D I've seen on my 847 are Madagascar 3, Resident Evil - Afterlife, and Avatar. Also, most 3D blu-ray players have an adjustment for depth control of your 3D image. I bought 2 3D players before I had the 847U, a Panasonic DMP-BDT310 and the Sony. Both were top of the line players when new a couple of years ago, and the picture quality output from both players is very good. Overall, I've had an excellent experience with my 847U. The number of people that post to AVS Forum with issues are a fairly small sample compared to the number of sets sold globally that have 0 problems. Buy one. If it does not perform to your satisfaction, exchange it for another unit, or purchase something else.
post #1799 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post

I have been looking at pauls tv but have read how bad the reviews are on reseller ratings. How long did it take to get your tv? What were the issues with the shipping company and how did you solve them. Looking to pull the trigger asap between east coast and pauls, but the stories make me very very nervous. Some people have had to wait for 3 weeks and then nothing, and have had to cancel the order. Can you elaborate how your process went please?

I purchased mine from Paul's TV a few weeks ago. No issues with them however the shipping company was a little slow.
post #1800 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

I am pleased with the 3D performance after the board swap. There was significant ghosting when trying to watch my first 3D disc that was bundled with my Sony BDP-S770 - Monster House 3D. After the boards were swapped out, Monster House played perfectly, with no crosstalk. After purchasing several 3D movies, I found that the movies that were converted to 3D have some depth, but overall, the 3D presentation is lacking. Specifically, Green Lantern, I Robot, and The Avengers. Some of the best 3D I've seen on my 847 are Madagascar 3, Resident Evil - Afterlife, and Avatar. Also, most 3D blu-ray players have an adjustment for depth control of your 3D image. I bought 2 3D players before I had the 847U, a Panasonic DMP-BDT310 and the Sony. Both were top of the line players when new a couple of years ago, and the picture quality output from both players is very good. Overall, I've had an excellent experience with my 847U. The number of people that post to AVS Forum with issues are a fairly small sample compared to the number of sets sold globally that have 0 problems. Buy one. If it does not perform to your satisfaction, exchange it for another unit, or purchase something else.
myoda, when you run the 3D test on the tv, do you see any ghosting of the front, center sphere? If so, how noticeable is it. What is "normal"? If that can be answered.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE847U & LC-70LE847U Owners Thread