or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG 47LM6700/55LM6700 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread - 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LG 47LM6700/55LM6700 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread - 2012 - Page 41

post #1201 of 2128
So I have actually bought this tv twice. The first time about 6 weeks ago and returned it swearing that I hated it. I kinda got hooked on the 3D though and something just kept bringing me back to it for some reason. After two failed plasmas and a projector it is hanging on my wall once again. After spending some time with it, I think it is a keeper. I am a fan of SOE under certain circumstances, so trumotion is a welcome addition. That's actually part of the reason I returned the first one. Plex media server is by far the best of any tv. Every other brand lags far, far behind. Passive 3D is better to my eyes. Tried LG and Samsung active shutter and I had massive eye strain within 15 mins. I can watch passive extensively without issue.

Tonight I popped in the Disney WOW disc and spent some time tweaking. My picture looks FANTASTIC now! Very happy with the results. It has that "pop" I've been looking for and seems to have all but eliminated the slightest edge bleed or clouding. Sure you can see it without a signal but once an image is displayed all is good. Definitely worth the $20. After 6 TVs and a projector over 3 months, I think I am finally happy. Just trying to figure out how I ended up with a Feb 2012 build date when my local BB just got them in two days before....
post #1202 of 2128
I think that sums up most people's review after spending some time with it and getting it calibrated with something like WOW or using one of the settings others have. I have the 7600 model and I am more impressed each day with the picture. I think Cnet was terribly off in their review, even their recommended settings are way off, while others seemed to do a decent job reviewing it.
post #1203 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

So I have actually bought this tv twice. The first time about 6 weeks ago and returned it swearing that I hated it. I kinda got hooked on the 3D though and something just kept bringing me back to it for some reason. After two failed plasmas and a projector it is hanging on my wall once again. After spending some time with it, I think it is a keeper. I am a fan of SOE under certain circumstances, so trumotion is a welcome addition. That's actually part of the reason I returned the first one. Plex media server is by far the best of any tv. Every other brand lags far, far behind. Passive 3D is better to my eyes. Tried LG and Samsung active shutter and I had massive eye strain within 15 mins. I can watch passive extensively without issue.
Tonight I popped in the Disney WOW disc and spent some time tweaking. My picture looks FANTASTIC now! Very happy with the results. It has that "pop" I've been looking for and seems to have all but eliminated the slightest edge bleed or clouding. Sure you can see it without a signal but once an image is displayed all is good. Definitely worth the $20. After 6 TVs and a projector over 3 months, I think I am finally happy. Just trying to figure out how I ended up with a Feb 2012 build date when my local BB just got them in two days before....

Can you post your settings? I also used the WOW disc and still was not quite satisfied with the picture. I have been trying a few of the posted settings on various websites and then slightly tweeking to my preference but still feel something is off.
post #1204 of 2128
(quote)Very happy with the results. It has that "pop" I've been looking for and seems to have all but eliminated the slightest edge bleed or clouding. Sure you can see it without a signal but once an image is displayed all is good. (quote)


I dont know if i got lucky or there are just a lot of bad ones out there because i have read over and over again that there is some bleeding but not bad. Mine has absolutely none at all what so ever and yes the edge LEDs do work cause i can see them working when local dimming is on and i can see a diff when the local dimming is on vs off. My lw6500 has it just a little but this one, none at all. I exspected it some but was very surprized when it didnt have it. The light is very even all the way around even on a blank black screen when there is no siginal or with just the LG logo on the screen.
post #1205 of 2128
Keep in mind mine is in a basement that is fully light controlled so "pop" to me may not be the same as it is to you. I also have had a plasma as my main display for the past 7 years which I alway ran a little warm.

I'm on expert 2:

backlight 30
contrast 92
brightness 56
h/v sharpness 15
color 50
tint 0

everything is off under expert controls
color gamut is standard
gamma 2.2
white balance medium
2 points
outer high

noise reduction off
black level low
real cinema on
local dimming med

trumotion user dejudder 3

Good luck
post #1206 of 2128
I just purchased this TV and was wondering if anyone is experiencing a fair amount of light bleed on the upper area of the screen. I have a spot that extends about 3in in the upper middle and a few other smaller spots along the upper edge. Is this something I should return for another one or is this behavior expected? Thanks in advance!
post #1207 of 2128
Fun Fact, a developer from Capcom helped write all of the application programing for Netflix..
post #1208 of 2128
Hey guys, new 47LM6700 owner here and total newbie when it comes to HDTVs. I love the TV overall but the one thing that I can't deal with is how much puck 'ghosting' I get when watching hockey (there are at least 3 pucks on screen anytime the thing moves). I tried playing around with the Trumotion dejudder settings but that doesn't really seem to do anything at all. Are there other settings that I can modify to eliminate this effect? It's so bad that I'm not sure I'd ever be able to watch hockey on this tv.

Thanks.
post #1209 of 2128
Dejudder won't remedy that, it takes Deblur which this model does not have. It may be coming in a software update. The next model up, the 7600 has both Dejudder and Deblur and if you like smooth as silk, that will do it.
post #1210 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

I'm on expert 2:
So is there a difference between expert 1 and 2? I thought they were both just for any custom settings you chose to set under them. Or do I have this all wrong and it matters which one you use?
post #1211 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamindar View Post

So is there a difference between expert 1 and 2? I thought they were both just for any custom settings you chose to set under them. Or do I have this all wrong and it matters which one you use?
I assumed the same as you...would like to know for sure myself.
post #1212 of 2128
Doesn't matter. I just used that one since Picture Wizard saves to Expert 1.
post #1213 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

So I have actually bought this tv twice. The first time about 6 weeks ago and returned it swearing that I hated it. I kinda got hooked on the 3D though and something just kept bringing me back to it for some reason. After two failed plasmas and a projector it is hanging on my wall once again. After spending some time with it, I think it is a keeper. I am a fan of SOE under certain circumstances, so trumotion is a welcome addition. That's actually part of the reason I returned the first one. Plex media server is by far the best of any tv. Every other brand lags far, far behind. Passive 3D is better to my eyes. Tried LG and Samsung active shutter and I had massive eye strain within 15 mins. I can watch passive extensively without issue.
Tonight I popped in the Disney WOW disc and spent some time tweaking. My picture looks FANTASTIC now! Very happy with the results. It has that "pop" I've been looking for and seems to have all but eliminated the slightest edge bleed or clouding. Sure you can see it without a signal but once an image is displayed all is good. Definitely worth the $20. After 6 TVs and a projector over 3 months, I think I am finally happy. Just trying to figure out how I ended up with a Feb 2012 build date when my local BB just got them in two days before....

before this update plex worked perfect for me, but now when i use plex its fine for the first hour, then after that the picture freezes or stutters. its really irritating. same with watching a movie of an external hard drive.
post #1214 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

Keep in mind mine is in a basement that is fully light controlled so "pop" to me may not be the same as it is to you. I also have had a plasma as my main display for the past 7 years which I alway ran a little warm.
I'm on expert 2:
backlight 30
contrast 92
brightness 56
h/v sharpness 15
color 50
tint 0
everything is off under expert controls
color gamut is standard
gamma 2.2
white balance medium
2 points
outer high
noise reduction off
black level low
real cinema on
local dimming med
trumotion user dejudder 3
Good luck


@cjsiv

First, thank you for sharing your settings! I used these numbers yesterday and it did improve the picture quality of my LM556700. Initially, my BL was at 47 and Contrast at 70, the result, picture was dim and washed out. The settings above (except for WB set to Cool and Sharpness at 10) produce crisp, clear and vibrant picture according to my eyes. Of course, not all TVs are created equal -- results will vary.
Edited by RB6Wings - 7/11/12 at 11:11am
post #1215 of 2128
Glad my settings helped you out. I plugged them into 3D mode and medialink and they seem to work pretty well there too. I'm experimenting with the trumotion setting still but I like the color and black levels. I think the only difference is that I bumped the backlight up to about 50 since 3D dims a little. Didn't notice any flash lighting or bleeding with letterbox when I watched Rio last night. Blacks still looked very black. I tried Max Payne 3 last night in game mode with those settings and I wasn't real happy. The lack of local dimming in game mode made clouding kind of irritating for me. I switched back to expert 2 with my normal settings and turned off trumotion and it looked really good. I don't measure lag but I really didn't notice any. Works fine for me.

Streaming from my Apple TV and via Plex look really nice too. I finally think I'm done constantly screwing with the settings.
post #1216 of 2128
Has anyone noticed anything weird with over-the-air content after the trumotion update? I work in the video production industry so I have somewhat of a nit-picky eye, but since the update I have noticed strange "stutters" in the video signal with OTA content. And I DO NOT have trumotion enabled (personally don't like it). It's not a constant thing, as it may be fine for 30-60 seconds at a time, but then you will notice a slight stutter (like if you were playing a videogame, and the game's framerate briefly dropped for a moment)....best way I can describe it. I was watching the news one night and it was VERY noticeable with the scrolling text at the bottom.....but with the scrolling text it appeared to be like what others here describe as "ghosting" with it seeming to look like there were multiple images of the text overlapping each other. When playing videogames and watching blu-ray, I have strangely enough not noticed the stuttering! It seems to be limited to just OTA content which is strange. It is very subtle (my fiance didn't notice it until I pointed it out........WARNING: once you see it, it can't be unseen!). I am certain this wasn't a problem prior to the trumotion update.

On a similar note, I swear that standard definition OTA looks much worse too (HD seems fine). The aliasing you see along clean lines such as with text and graphics (like at the end of a local commercial) is VERY pronounced. Honestly, this issue I can't be as confident in being a problem created by the recent update.......it may have been like that all along. But I am skeptical that all of a sudden I am now realizing this AFTER the update. So my money is on it being a firmware issue.
post #1217 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

Glad my settings helped you out. I plugged them into 3D mode and medialink and they seem to work pretty well there too. I'm experimenting with the trumotion setting still but I like the color and black levels. I think the only difference is that I bumped the backlight up to about 50 since 3D dims a little. Didn't notice any flash lighting or bleeding with letterbox when I watched Rio last night. Blacks still looked very black. I tried Max Payne 3 last night in game mode with those settings and I wasn't real happy. The lack of local dimming in game mode made clouding kind of irritating for me. I switched back to expert 2 with my normal settings and turned off trumotion and it looked really good. I don't measure lag but I really didn't notice any. Works fine for me.
Streaming from my Apple TV and via Plex look really nice too. I finally think I'm done constantly screwing with the settings.


I bumped the BL to 50 and kept everything else the same while watching 3D last night -- looked good. Same here, I'll leave my TV alone (for now). Thanks, mate!
post #1218 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecob View Post

Has anyone noticed anything weird with over-the-air content after the trumotion update? I work in the video production industry so I have somewhat of a nit-picky eye, but since the update I have noticed strange "stutters" in the video signal with OTA content. And I DO NOT have trumotion enabled (personally don't like it). It's not a constant thing, as it may be fine for 30-60 seconds at a time, but then you will notice a slight stutter (like if you were playing a videogame, and the game's framerate briefly dropped for a moment)....best way I can describe it. I was watching the news one night and it was VERY noticeable with the scrolling text at the bottom.....but with the scrolling text it appeared to be like what others here describe as "ghosting" with it seeming to look like there were multiple images of the text overlapping each other. When playing videogames and watching blu-ray, I have strangely enough not noticed the stuttering! It seems to be limited to just OTA content which is strange. It is very subtle (my fiance didn't notice it until I pointed it out........WARNING: once you see it, it can't be unseen!). I am certain this wasn't a problem prior to the trumotion update.
On a similar note, I swear that standard definition OTA looks much worse too (HD seems fine). The aliasing you see along clean lines such as with text and graphics (like at the end of a local commercial) is VERY pronounced. Honestly, this issue I can't be as confident in being a problem created by the recent update.......it may have been like that all along. But I am skeptical that all of a sudden I am now realizing this AFTER the update. So my money is on it being a firmware issue.

Try switching trumotion on. Set the "user" setting to about 2-3. I have noticed with other LG sets (plasma) that had trumotion, there can be "skipping of frames" with lots of motion, i.e. action movies when using the preset level like "smooth". A dejudder "user" setting of 3 is not the same as the preset "smooth" level of 3. The presets are much more aggressive causing SOE which you don't like. I leave mine set to "user" 3 and it looks good to me without obvious SOE. See if that makes any difference.

I, personally, used OTA for about a year and it looked great most of the time. There was some obvious compression artifacts that I didn't see with my current Directv. Specifically lots of blocking with flashing lights, etc.

My thought is that since trumotion wasn't selectable until the update, there was a certain low amount applied that could not be turned off. Not enough to cause SOE, but enough to smooth the motion. Now that it is adjustable, it is off altogether when you turn it off. You are seeing the joys of motion on an LCD panel. I recall some who called LG customer service before the update being told that trumotion was on, just not adjustable.

Hope this works for you.
Edited by cjsiv - 7/12/12 at 6:56am
post #1219 of 2128
I've noticed something peculiar... in Cinema mode i have a preset called Clear Plus or something like that after the update... That mode is ridiculously buttery smooth in netflix. But I can't quite get anything else to look like that. In fact i press the home button to get out of that setting so i don't change it by accident. It's not present elsewhere... only cinema preset i believe.
post #1220 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecob View Post

Has anyone noticed anything weird with over-the-air content after the trumotion update? I work in the video production industry so I have somewhat of a nit-picky eye, but since the update I have noticed strange "stutters" in the video signal with OTA content. And I DO NOT have trumotion enabled (personally don't like it). It's not a constant thing, as it may be fine for 30-60 seconds at a time, but then you will notice a slight stutter (like if you were playing a videogame, and the game's framerate briefly dropped for a moment)....best way I can describe it. I was watching the news one night and it was VERY noticeable with the scrolling text at the bottom.....but with the scrolling text it appeared to be like what others here describe as "ghosting" with it seeming to look like there were multiple images of the text overlapping each other.
I noticed this exact behavior before the TruMotion update watching my local news. I know for sure it was before the TruMotion update. My feed was not directly OTA, however. It was either OTA->Dish tuner->HDMI to TV or Satellite->Dish tuner->HDMI to TV. I have both. It was local news.
post #1221 of 2128
Anyone hear any updates on De-Blur function firmware update?
post #1222 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecob View Post

Has anyone noticed anything weird with over-the-air content after the trumotion update? I work in the video production industry so I have somewhat of a nit-picky eye, but since the update I have noticed strange "stutters" in the video signal with OTA content. And I DO NOT have trumotion enabled (personally don't like it). It's not a constant thing, as it may be fine for 30-60 seconds at a time, but then you will notice a slight stutter (like if you were playing a videogame, and the game's framerate briefly dropped for a moment)....best way I can describe it. I was watching the news one night and it was VERY noticeable with the scrolling text at the bottom.....but with the scrolling text it appeared to be like what others here describe as "ghosting" with it seeming to look like there were multiple images of the text overlapping each other. When playing videogames and watching blu-ray, I have strangely enough not noticed the stuttering! It seems to be limited to just OTA content which is strange. It is very subtle (my fiance didn't notice it until I pointed it out........WARNING: once you see it, it can't be unseen!). I am certain this wasn't a problem prior to the trumotion update.
On a similar note, I swear that standard definition OTA looks much worse too (HD seems fine). The aliasing you see along clean lines such as with text and graphics (like at the end of a local commercial) is VERY pronounced. Honestly, this issue I can't be as confident in being a problem created by the recent update.......it may have been like that all along. But I am skeptical that all of a sudden I am now realizing this AFTER the update. So my money is on it being a firmware issue.

Noticing the same. Thought it was just me; glad it's not.
post #1223 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanadia View Post

I've noticed something peculiar... in Cinema mode i have a preset called Clear Plus or something like that after the update... That mode is ridiculously buttery smooth in netflix. But I can't quite get anything else to look like that. In fact i press the home button to get out of that setting so i don't change it by accident. It's not present elsewhere... only cinema preset i believe.

i checked after reading your post, and yes under "cinema" there is a setting called clear plus. while still in cinema mode, i changed it to user to compare, and now cleap plus isnt even there any more? what's up with that? it just says smooth, clear, and user, but the clear plus is no longer there.

has anyone else experienced this?
post #1224 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrigjl View Post

Noticing the same. Thought it was just me; glad it's not.

Yes, I noticed that from day 1 and I am still looking for ways to fix it. As the OP said, it doesn't happen on Blu-Ray or DVD sources, but only with Live TV feeds. In my case I am with Comcast, feeding the TV via WMC.
post #1225 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mniedrach View Post

Anyone hear any updates on De-Blur function firmware update?

No updates so far. I called the LG CSR several weeks ago and they said that they are working on a firmware update to include Deblur option. But more of us need to call in and complain about the issue to pressure them to get the ball rolling. It seems like all of a sudden everyone is content with just the latest Trumotion update with only the Dejudder option. So far I haven't seen many people in this forum call in to complain about the lack of Deblur option.
post #1226 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfatherx360 View Post

my 55" 6700 arrived toady, box is in pretty good condition, hooked everything up and turned it on....cracked panel, very top about 1/3 of the way from the right side. Just about the part where the top portion of styrofoam would have ended, Thinking it created a pressure point that during shipping caused the crack. Its pretty bad, but nearly unnoticeable when powered off.
Tried Amazon support but their "big item return center" was closed so have to call back in the morning...first time ive ordered an item like this online, and pretty sure it will be my last. The picture out of the box is so much better then my old DLP it replaced...sans huge freaking crack of course

I had the exact same problem with my 47LM6700 several months ago from Amazon. I went through the online return process then called them up to verify everything. I had a brand new TV two days later (chipped before I returned the damaged one) and they arranged for UPS to pickup the damaged one from my home. The worst part of the entire experience was re-packing the TV in the box. I was extremely impressed and happy dealing with Amazon on this one.

Here is a picture of the damaged TV

700
post #1227 of 2128
A friend of mine just bought this set. I haven't had a chance to check it out in person but I'm a bit worried about what I'm reading regarding it's motion handling. My Sony is marketed as Motionflow 240 (Basically a 120hz panel that can achieve a 240hz 'effect' when backlight scanning is enabled) so I'm familiar with how marketing can differ from technical reality but I'm not convinced that the the same 'gimmicks' would be all that effective on a 60hz panel. Especially when it sounds like the black frame insertion is implemented strangely (according to the 'when 120hz is not 120hz' review quoted earlier in the thread) and if I understand correctly can't be turn on without adding motion interpolation as well. My Sony seems to allow for a enough Motionflow options to combine motion interpolation or black frame insertion with whatever de-judder setting you want.

Personally I think how an LCD handles motion is a huge part of 'you get what you pay for' and is a large part of what separates a entry level set from the high end.

He's very excited about the set and the price he paid for it. So I doubt I'll pee in his punch bowl by sharing my unsolicited opinion, but I do think it's sad that IMO he could have done much better for a few hundred dollars more. But ultimately if he's happy I'm happy. I don't want to interject buyers remorse if he's satisfied.
post #1228 of 2128
Yes, there are plenty of people who won't notice. But it's too bad this model doesn't have de-blur, because it works better than any of my previous sets on the 7600 model. Hopefully LG will come up with something.
post #1229 of 2128
Not good news on the greyed out service menu items. I'm told by a tech they can not be changed with a remote, even the service remote. You need a jig and computer with the proper program. There are few things that can be adjusted/tested with the service remote using in-start and a very few things in EZ menu.

That said, the THX settings are terrific, the best skin color I have yet seen. I'm very picky about faces/skin being too red. Shadows are quite good, color accuracy uncanny. Really a stunning picture.
This was given to me by the tech I talked to for the 7600, assuming it's the same for this model 6700.

Using expert 1 or Expert 2
Backlighting 50
Contrast 83
Brightness 51
Tint 0
Sharpness V/H 25

Dynamic Contrast off
Super Resolution On
Color Gamut Standard
Edge Enhancer Low
Color Filter Off
Gamma 1.9
White Balance Color Temperature Warm
Method 20 Point IRE
Pattern Outer
IRE 100
Luminance 200
(All others 0)

Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Reduction Off
Black Level Low
Real Cinema On
Eye Care Greyed Out should be off
LED Local Dimming Not specified I use Low
Trumotion Not specified I do not use for movies Smooth for all else but 6700 at this time does not have De-blur.

I was skeptical about Gamma 1.9 but it makes faces much more natural and with the other settings gives an overall excellent picture. For those that want to adjust from this, I would suggest changing the backlighting to less if the picture is too bright for you or more if not bright enough. I would leave the brightness where it is.

Also if the 6700 is like the 7600 if you use the Standard Mode, using these same settings there is a little more you can do. Instead of Warm Medium or Cool, there is a sliding scale so you can adjust White Balance more, plus there is a Clear White setting that goes a long way to making whites and blues not have a red overtone when using a warmer white balance setting. Playing with the sliding Color Temperature and Clear White settings can produce a more custom picture to your taste. I have found the actual THX settings in Expert 1 or 2 really is about the best.
Edited by tampa8 - 7/14/12 at 6:16am
post #1230 of 2128
Honestly, I think a lot of people are getting too caught up in the specs on this tv. It kind of is a curse of the AVS forum. I have been more involved the past year or so and it caused me to go through 7 tvs and a projector. Things that I never would have noticed caused me to return tvs because of flaws that I was looking for but never would have known about. The edge bleed and clouding was only visible on a blank screen without signal but I returned it because I thought it was there with an actual image. I returned a Samsung plasma due to minor buzzing that I never would have paid any attention to, but I killed all sources of noise and waited, looking for buzz, which I found. I returned an LG plasma that I thought had excessive dithering which probably was within specs. Ultimately I chose this model, again, over my Epson 8350 because of the quality issues I had read about. Fact is, my projector was perfect, without issue, and I still returned it to avoid what I thought might happen. There is now several thousand dollars worth of open box merchandise in central Illinois courtesy of me. There is a fine line between educated consumer and becoming a spec freak. I have been leaning towards the latter lately. Which I guess is why this is the AV "Science" forum.

This may be an edge lit led with a 60hz native panel and fancy tricks to make it 120. It does have edge bleed and clouding as does every edge lit panel out there. I was only "ok" with the picture when I first got it. After a week, I love the picture. In fact, I am impressed with it. The Disney WOW disc was worth every penny. I have a free calibration from BB since I am a silver member, but I am so content at this point, I'm not sure if I want the BB geeks screwing with it. As far as motion goes, I have had a Panny plasma in my house for 7 years and have gone through 4 other plasmas in the past few months. I actually have less judder with motion on the 6700 using a little bit of trumotion (user=3).

Yesterday, I saw BB dropped the price of the 7600 and considered swapping it out for $150 more. The fact is, I am fine with motion on this set. The design is the same and, to me, the 7600 doesn't offer enough to constitute the extra cash and the hassle of the exchange. After wall mounting and unmounting 7 tvs, I am finally done.

Every, I repeat, every model out there has some flaw in it. Plasma, LED, edge lit, full array, every brand. I switched and switched thinking I would find perfection eventually. I never did. I guarantee that whatever model you swap this for will have another issue that you have to deal with. Motion issues, uniformity, clouding, buzzing, color issues, green blobs, random shutdowns. Every one of the major manufacturers. Pick a thread and read it. Every one has problems. I'm not saying that people don't have legitimate issues. I'm sure that some do. My motto was "for what these things cost, I expect it to be perfect." Well, they are not. I just wanted to share some of my experience the past few months to maybe save someone some headache.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG 47LM6700/55LM6700 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread - 2012