or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 102

post #3031 of 9971
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejasons View Post

They must be having yield issues on the 65" panels, as the premium for the extra 5" is quite significant.

Curious drop on the 60st50. Here in Florida you cannot find a 60" in the only brick stores that supposedly carry them(BB or Sears). Even show as sold out when trying to order online. Wonder why the supply seems so low? Is it possible that there are known issues on these early builds units on these bigger screens and maybe sites like Amazon are trying to move them out?
Not complaining about the price drop but supply and demand usually run the market...no?
post #3032 of 9971
Quote:
Originally Posted by evgeshais300 View Post

One thing i have to ask thou when size is set to Size 2 i have small 4-6 px black border on all 4 sides from FIOS feed.. with Size 1 picture feels the entire screen but become a touch less sharp. What should i use?

You want Full mode with HD Size 2 if you also want to see an exact Dot by Dot display of the input signal on your screen. HD Size 1 will give you a 5% over scan of the image which is why the image looks less sharp. The black border is being sent by FIOS, and all over scan does is enlarge the image equally in all four directions. The thin black bars are being cropped.

Many people never use the equivalent of Full HD Size 1. It's there because SD TV broadcasts carry information at the top of the screen. That information came across to viewers as junk and static. Old CRT displays all had over scan built into their design.
post #3033 of 9971
Quote:
Originally Posted by zshortstop View Post

Curious drop on the 60st50. Here in Florida you cannot find a 60" in the only brick stores that supposedly carry them(BB or Sears). Even show as sold out when trying to order online. Wonder why the supply seems so low? Is it possible that there are known issues on these early builds units on these bigger screens and maybe sites like Amazon are trying to move them out?
Not complaining about the price drop but supply and demand usually run the market...no?

Since there hasn't been a storm, that I'm aware of, I'd say it was that Panasonic might have been conservative and didn't expect the rush that they're experiencing. Stores just didn't pre-order enough units. Places like HH Gregg ordered none. I wonder if they'll make the same mistake next year.
post #3034 of 9971
Concerning hockey, there were reports earlier in this thread about black flashes presumably when camera flashes were going off and triggering ABL circuitry. This was in custom mode, at least. Evgeshais300 (and anyone else), have you experienced this as well, or perhaps they were just isolated cases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evgeshais300 View Post

Hockey looked fine to me with D-Nice settings.. the first day i got it.
Watched last nights Rangers/Devils with CNET settings and it was even better.
Actually i like CNETs settings better overall. and i'm not seeing red push as others but than again i'm not pro nor do i have any equipment.

One thing i have to ask thou when size is set to Size 2 i have small 4-6 px black border on all 4 sides from FIOS feed.. with Size 1 picture feels the entire screen but become a touch less sharp. What should i use?
post #3035 of 9971
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

I'm seriously considering the P60ST50...but I've read a lot about poor picture quality during hockey broadcasts. As a big NHL fan that's obviously a big problem for me...is this a known issue?

Known "issue" that is not really an issue: the "flashing" seemed much worse in the playoff games than during regular season (Red Wings) games, and can only assume that there was more Press at the playoffs & hence more "need" for the Strobes.

From reading through a couple of threads, this appears to be an interaction between the stadiums (rinks...) - or, rather, the strobes in use - and the way that plasma handles the sudden brightness.

In any event, we have 3 plasma sets in house, and the flashing is common to all of them, so it certainly does NOT appear to be a "ST50 issue."
post #3036 of 9971
Quote:
Originally Posted by zshortstop View Post

Curious drop on the 60st50. Here in Florida you cannot find a 60" in the only brick stores that supposedly carry them(BB or Sears). Even show as sold out when trying to order online. Wonder why the supply seems so low? .....

According to a news article earlier in the year, Panasonic scheduled something like a 50% (!) drop in Plasma production for 2012 (as compared to 2011) - that alone might put a crimp in the supply chain!

There was also talk that stores were being more selective (careful...) in their pre-orders - both in terms of Models and Quantity - which might also explain at least temporary shortages.
post #3037 of 9971
Hello guys,

I just ordered a 60ST50. I am planning to calibrate the custom mode for bright day time viewing. Is it possible to calibrate the cinema mode as well? If so are calibration options more limited in the cinema mode compared to the custom mode?

By the way I am planning to buy the i1 Display Pro and Calman DIY version. Is this a good combo for calibrating ST50?
post #3038 of 9971
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenal View Post

Hello guys,

I just ordered a 60ST50. I am planning to calibrate the custom mode for bright day time viewing. Is it possible to calibrate the cinema mode as well? If so are calibration options more limited in the cinema mode compared to the custom mode?

By the way I am planning to buy the i1 Display Pro and Calman DIY version. Is this a good combo for calibrating ST50?

I believe you can calibrate the cinema mode through the service menu. In the normal menu you lose access to the Pro options when using the Cinema preset, but I went into the service menu a couple of nights ago and it looked like everything was there for you to mess with, granted you know what you're doing.
post #3039 of 9971
Just pulled the trigger on a 60ST50!! This is my first 60" television, coming from the Sammy E518000. Samsung is refunding my money and for less money I can get the 60" ST50 from Amazon. I won't say the exact price because that's forbidden, but let's just say it's a great deal. This will be my first Panny since the V10. Very exciting times.
post #3040 of 9971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Shifter View Post

I'm confused, the 60" is showing $2,100 on Amazon from Cleveland Plasma only.

Am I missing the price drop somehow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattlehead View Post

Just pulled the trigger on a 60ST50!! This is my first 60" television, coming from the Sammy E518000. Samsung is refunding my money and for less money I can get the 60" ST50 from Amazon. I won't say the exact price because that's forbidden, but let's just say it's a great deal. This will be my first Panny since the V10. Very exciting times.

I could not resist the low price as well. I was actually thinking of getting a 65vt50 but saving half the money was tempting.
post #3041 of 9971
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Since there hasn't been a storm, that I'm aware of, I'd say it was that Panasonic might have been conservative and didn't expect the rush that they're experiencing. Stores just didn't pre-order enough units. Places like HH Gregg ordered none. I wonder if they'll make the same mistake next year.

When I saw the first Panasonic DLP I had no idea what it was - maybe some kind of $10,000 thick plasma? The sales manager for the store commented, while trying to educate me, that Panasonic built good displays but they could be hard to get.

Maybe Panasonic is overly cautious when projecting sales and therefore manufacturing runs. On maybe they think that that having 50", 55", 60" and 65" versions in the same model are too many.
post #3042 of 9971
Hey all!
1st post, long time reader, but had too.....very happy with my 55st50.
Just brought it home from BB, someone had returned it after the
1 day. The sales rep said the returner said it wasn't "bright" enough!
Anyway, to each their own.
My benefit was I landed a 55" for $1300 including tax.
Anyway, sold my GT30 and got the ST and am extremely happy with it
so far:-) No issues at all.
That's it, just wanted to brag on my new
purchase and on my 3rd Panny plasma! Love it!!!
To all a great night and great viewing experience
post #3043 of 9971
Did anyone measure the black level for the 60ST50? I have read that it is 0.005 fl for 55ST50 and 0.0025 fl for 65ST50. I am trying to figure out what I am missing in terms of black levels by going with the 60" instead of the 65".
post #3044 of 9971
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenal View Post

Did anyone measure the black level for the 60ST50? I have read that it is 0.005 fl for 55ST50 and 0.0025 fl for 65ST50. I am trying to figure out what I am missing in terms of black levels by going with the 60" instead of the 65".

The 60" and the 65" models have similar black levels.
post #3045 of 9971
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

The 60" and the 65" models have similar black levels.

Thanks. That's a relief.
post #3046 of 9971
I'm thinking of going to a 60" ST30 from a 2006-era Maxent MX-50X3.

Has anyone else done a similar upgrade, going from an older plasma to an ST50? How big is the difference in PQ?

And how big is the difference in grayscale/gradiations between the ST50 and GT50?
post #3047 of 9971
Quote:
Originally Posted by evgeshais300 View Post

Hockey looked fine to me with D-Nice settings.. the first day i got it.
Watched last nights Rangers/Devils with CNET settings and it was even better.
Actually i like CNETs settings better overall. and i'm not seeing red push as others but than again i'm not pro nor do i have any equipment.

One thing i have to ask thou when size is set to Size 2 i have small 4-6 px black border on all 4 sides from FIOS feed.. with Size 1 picture feels the entire screen but become a touch less sharp. What should i use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

Known "issue" that is not really an issue: the "flashing" seemed much worse in the playoff games than during regular season (Red Wings) games, and can only assume that there was more Press at the playoffs & hence more "need" for the Strobes.

From reading through a couple of threads, this appears to be an interaction between the stadiums (rinks...) - or, rather, the strobes in use - and the way that plasma handles the sudden brightness.

In any event, we have 3 plasma sets in house, and the flashing is common to all of them, so it certainly does NOT appear to be a "ST50 issue."

Ok, I guess it's not a deal breaker than.

One last question before I pull the trigger...apparently the PC Mag review complains about the lack of brightness on this model. Anyone think it's too dim?

After a basic calibration the panel produced a nice dark black level reading of 0.02 cd/m2, but it could only manage a peak brightness of 85.45 cd/m2, which is tad darker than the P50GT30 (88.58 cd/m2) and quite dim compared with the Samsung PN51D8000 (244.92 cd/m2).
post #3048 of 9971
I'd like people's responses regarding the dimness or lack of brightness as well. If I take the plunge I want to see a noticeably better PQ difference between my 50S1 and possibly a new 65ST50 and not just difference is size. I want to see a big leap between the two and feel like the investment was well worth it.
post #3049 of 9971
I got my 60ST50 mounted last night.. Looks awesome.. I'm assuming it needs time to break in to look even better..?
post #3050 of 9971
I've made up my mind. I was going to take the plunge and get the Ut50, but have decided to wait and get the 55 or 50 ST50. Hoping the price drops a little more later in the year. Better to be patient and wait than get the UT50. Hope it's worth the wait.
post #3051 of 9971
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

Ok, I guess it's not a deal breaker than.

One last question before I pull the trigger...apparently the PC Mag review complains about the lack of brightness on this model. Anyone think it's too dim?

After a basic calibration the panel produced a nice dark black level reading of 0.02 cd/m2, but it could only manage a peak brightness of 85.45 cd/m2, which is tad darker than the P50GT30 (88.58 cd/m2) and quite dim compared with the Samsung PN51D8000 (244.92 cd/m2).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...n#post21795029
post #3052 of 9971
Quote:

Thanks...just pulled the trigger.
post #3053 of 9971
I had my heart set on the 65ST50, but man, that price from Amazon on the 60" is very tempting. It's only 5" right? I mave have to jump on that.

Has anyone seen any of the ST50s in Costco?
I know they carried the 60ST30 before it was phased-out, but I haven't seen anything take its place yet.
post #3054 of 9971
I've been going through the forum and seen different reports on input lag. I'm curious as to what the input lag is like when not in game mode vs being in game mode. Also, can game mode be calibrated to at least look close to accurate?
post #3055 of 9971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaner View Post

I had my heart set on the 65ST50, but man, that price from Amazon on the 60" is very tempting. It's only 5" right? I mave have to jump on that.

Has anyone seen any of the ST50s in Costco?
I know they carried the 60ST30 before it was phased-out, but I haven't seen anything take its place yet.

Well, the 65" does have 17.6% more viewing area.

As for the price, I guess we can't discuss it here...but you can currently do better than what Amazon is offering. The extra $100 savings got me off the fence.
post #3056 of 9971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_K View Post

Concerning hockey, there were reports earlier in this thread about black flashes presumably when camera flashes were going off and triggering ABL circuitry. This was in custom mode, at least. Evgeshais300 (and anyone else), have you experienced this as well, or perhaps they were just isolated cases?

I only had black flashes with out of the box standard mode. Once i switched to custom with D-Nice or CNET settings flashing was gone.

As far as brightness, it was bit dim with D-Nice settings but absolutely fine with CNETs, mind you i have a very bright room during day and at nights i have 3 100 watt lamps shining from the top, with lights off its like i'm in the movie theater.. It also depends on the content you are playing.. Last night Robin Hood (2010 film) was on and a day time scene with forest back ground looked dark on another channel Gladiator was on and similarly staged day time scene was much much brighter, which leads me to believe directors had different intention when movies were shot.

Back to my question about Size 1 vs Size 2 .. So its OK to have that tine black frame? Am i hurting the screen and will it show when i play another source that fells the entire screen ?
post #3057 of 9971
can someone plz tell me where to get D-nice's slides.. I searched and found nothing..grrr
post #3058 of 9971
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

can someone plz tell me where to get D-nice's slides.. I searched and found nothing..grrr

They are on high def junkies dot com. They won't let us link to that forum. You will have to register.
post #3059 of 9971
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

I got my 60ST50 mounted last night.. Looks awesome.. I'm assuming it needs time to break in to look even better..?

How much better than "awesome" are you hoping for?!?

Don't think the PQ IMPROVEMENT on the ST50 has been as great as noted on the ST30 after several hundred hours - Green & Pink aside - but then the Starting Point was also Much Higher with the 50!

"Blacks" - as judged by letterbox bars - visibly improved on the ST30 over time, but, even at their best, the 30 still fell short of what the 50 offered OOTB.

My IMPRESSION is that the blacks on the ST50 have either grown slightly blacker and/or perhaps somewhat More Consistently Black(er). Brightness & color, at around 4 weeks usage, are also all we hoped for - and while I THINK these are better than OOTB, it is certainly true that 1) We become accustomed to the panel we watch most frequently, and 2) This panel has now had a quick & dirty run through with the AVS HD709 BR disk, so settings are no longer Exactly at their "Default" settings. (Although they remain Pretty Darn Close to them, using Cinema mode!)

Sometime over the next few weeks hope to get our No. 1 Son down here - with his fancy color filters & commercial calibration disk - and see whether or not we can gain anything in the overall PQ department by spending More Time Fiddling Around: but without literally having another panel side-by-side, it is difficult to say how much better we should even HOPE for!

Enjoy your new set!
post #3060 of 9971
Quote:
Originally Posted by evgeshais300 View Post

Back to my question about Size 1 vs Size 2 .. So its OK to have that tine black frame? Am i hurting the screen and will it show when i play another source that fells the entire screen ?

Our 60" ST50 has a small border of "unused" pixels between the Active Screen Area and the Physical Bezel. This is normal.

This was also the case for every 2011 Pan plasma we looked at - and we looked at a bunch of them: had 5 in house, eldest son had 2 (1 currently), & youngest son 1.

Both of our older Pan plasmas also have a similar border - although frankly had not even noticed that until we looked!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]