or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 104

post #3091 of 9972
For some who think the ST50 is dim, you may want to mess around with the settings a bit. IMO I think the ST picture color looks better when set to Cool 1 or Cool 2. Also adjusting the panel brightness in the pro settings made some improvements and adjusting the contrast to your liking. I spent 45 mins messing with the setting in BB today, that helped the picture a lot but to each is own.
post #3092 of 9972
can someone please tell me the values set under menu > picture > custom?

Contrast
Brightness
Color
Tint
Sharpness

I was messing around and i think i changed them in a manner which cannot go back to factory default. I'm hoping i'm wrong and if anyone could post these numbers, ill know immediately

thanks!
jason
post #3093 of 9972
Can't you default back? On my "old" S1 I could always do that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jason370 View Post

can someone please tell me the values set under menu > picture > custom?

Contrast
Brightness
Color
Tint
Sharpness

I was messing around and i think i changed them in a manner which cannot go back to factory default. I'm hoping i'm wrong and if anyone could post these numbers, ill know immediately

thanks!
jason
post #3094 of 9972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason370 View Post

can someone please tell me the values set under menu > picture > custom?

Contrast
Brightness
Color
Tint
Sharpness

I was messing around and i think i changed them in a manner which cannot go back to factory default. I'm hoping i'm wrong and if anyone could post these numbers, ill know immediately

The menus have a selection to "Reset to Defaults" - just select that.
post #3095 of 9972
i cant, it's grayed out, which is why i'm asking this question. i read that if it is grayed out, that it it in the default state, but i coud swear i changed the default state. since i have no way to know or compare to my own tv, i'm asking that someone post these numbers so i can know if i am in the default, or if i actually changed the values.

id really appreciate if someone could simply post these values,

thanks
jason
post #3096 of 9972
Anyone got wifi to work, or are you just hard wiring to router? I've been trying for a couple days, no luck.
post #3097 of 9972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post

Anyone got wifi to work, or are you just hard wiring to router? I've been trying for a couple days, no luck.

If your wireless network has a case-sensitive password, you have to manually input the same upper/lower case characters when setting it up in the TV's setup menu. This is one of the more common things that causes a lack of wireless connectivity.
post #3098 of 9972
I have the case right. Just sits there saying "connecting". I set IP settings on automatic. Also tried manual using IP address my linksys Easylink software said the TV was showing. No go either way. Using TKIP+AES on router, used TKIP on manual settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

If your wireless network has a case-sensitive password, you have to manually input the same upper/lower case characters when setting it up in the TV's setup menu. This is one of the more common things that causes a lack of wireless connectivity.
post #3099 of 9972
no clue tcat. I had a fun time getting my Fios media manager program to stream youtube videos on to my old 27" CRT. (I cannot remember what the problem was. I remember my computer guy had optimized my laptop and he had to change some setting.)
post #3100 of 9972
I see that many youtube videos have a 720p setting that you can watch the video in.

would someone please tell me how that would affect watching videos on an ST50 series tv?

specifically, would the 720p youtube videos look better on a 50" or a 55" tv??

I am on the verge of buying the 55" at amazon. would anyone please tell me if they know if this should affect my choice of a 50" or 55", or not?????


thanks alot,
Charlie
post #3101 of 9972
It should have absolutely no influence whatsoever on your choice.

Get the 55.
post #3102 of 9972
thank you for your reply. could you please tell me any details or explanation why?
post #3103 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas51 View Post

thank you for your reply. could you please tell me any details or explanation why?

55 is more than 50. There are more inches.
post #3104 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas51 View Post

thank you for your reply. could you please tell me any details or explanation why?

how far away will you be sitting from the tv?
post #3105 of 9972
sometimes 12 feet or so.

sometimes ~8 feet.
post #3106 of 9972
My answer is, you shouldn't base your decision on how youtube would look. Go for the 55".
post #3107 of 9972
So which would be a better choice the 60ST50 or the 55GT50? Right now Amazon has them both for the same price. Is the picture quality that much better on the GT50? Or would I be better off going with a bigger panel?
post #3108 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruiz00tx View Post

I'd like people's responses regarding the dimness or lack of brightness as well. If I take the plunge I want to see a noticeably better PQ difference between my 50S1 and possibly a new 65ST50 and not just difference is size. I want to see a big leap between the two and feel like the investment was well worth it.

I went from the (50)s1 to st30(60) and am really happy with it. I wasnt impressed with 3d until i chamged player to 24 frames and then on tv put it to 48 hz amd wow my daughter and i enjoyed journey to the center of the earth. I was finally able to see some popout.movie not the greatest but the effects were fun.i think the only way you will feel that your very impressed is when 4k comes out but these 3d tvs do look very sharp.
post #3109 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post

Anyone got wifi to work, or are you just hard wiring to router? I've been trying for a couple days, no luck.

I found that it doesn't like my new N based access point unless I set it to B/G only mode. I ended up setting my router to B/G only and having it ignore the access point. Works well that way but doesn't like the n based access point for some reason. I gave up on trying to figure it out.
post #3110 of 9972
So I've been following this post on the new St50 plasma's. I don't want to come across as trolling. But through my eyes I've always seen the Plasma sets even this new st50 dim and washed out, even while viewing in a dark room setting and being properly calibrated. The picture of plasma's just look softer and fuzzier. They just don't seem as sharp. I was really considering this Plasma but I do PS3 gaming also and IR bothers me on Plasma's. Yes it will eventually go away but I even noticed this on this new st50 as well. I just don't like it

But as most have said It really depends on what you are looking for in a set, and your needs. I just find my eyes like and favor the Brighter, sharper pop of Led.

If all you do is watch movies in a dark room I could see this St50 would suffice.

I do like the fact you can get a 65" plasma set about half the price of what a 65" led would cost. That's a big plus and why I initially considered the ST50, but common dim fuzzy picture of Plasma I just couldn't settle on.
post #3111 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas51 View Post

specifically, would the 720p youtube videos look better on a 50" or a 55" tv??

Scaling 720p to 1080p shouldn't cause any significant problems. If You Tube uses a lot of bad compression than their stream is going to look bad on either size screen.

There is a similar situation with our Comcast cable box. It can be set to convert all channels to 1080i, or output the native resolution of each channel. ABC, Fox, and ESPN are 720p channels. The others as far as I know are 1080i and 480i (SD), I have the Comcast STB set to output 1080i which our display deinterlaces to 1080p.

Our screen is 60", and I've never noticed a difference. I'm sure that there has to be a difference, but if it doesn't catch my attention and irritate me, then I don't care that the 720p channels are theoretically worse on my 60" display than the 1080i channels.
post #3112 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

If you decide on the Panasonic ST50 you're making a great choice and it's a better value over an equivalent Samsung.

Can You compare Samsung E6500 to Panasonic ST50? PQ and Smart TV?
post #3113 of 9972
thank you htwaits.
awesome excellent reply. super.
and thank you rahzel.




Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Scaling 720p to 1080p shouldn't cause any significant problems. If You Tube uses a lot of bad compression than their stream is going to look bad on either size screen.

There is a similar situation with our Comcast cable box. It can be set to convert all channels to 1080i, or output the native resolution of each channel. ABC, Fox, and ESPN are 720p channels. The others as far as I know are 1080i and 480i (SD), I have the Comcast STB set to output 1080i which our display deinterlaces to 1080p.

Our screen is 60", and I've never noticed a difference. I'm sure that there has to be a difference, but if it doesn't catch my attention and irritate me, then I don't care that the 720p channels are theoretically worse on my 60" display than the 1080i channels.
post #3114 of 9972
anybody have any thoughts about this way to calibrate your tv??:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5793273_cali...ra-plasma.html
post #3115 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchop View Post

So I've been following this post on the new St50 plasma's. I don't want to come across as trolling. But through my eyes I've always seen the Plasma sets even this new st50 dim and washed out, even while viewing in a dark room setting and being properly calibrated. The picture of plasma's just look softer and fuzzier. They just don't seem as sharp. I was really considering this Plasma but I do PS3 gaming also and IR bothers me on Plasma's. Yes it will eventually go away but I even noticed this on this new st50 as well. I just don't like it

But as most have said It really depends on what you are looking for in a set, and your needs. I just find my eyes like and favor the Brighter, sharper pop of Led.

If all you do is watch movies in a dark room I could see this St50 would suffice.

I do like the fact you can get a 65" plasma set about half the price of what a 65" led would cost. That's a big plus and why I initially considered the ST50, but common dim fuzzy picture of Plasma I just couldn't settle on.

There are two main problems with LCDs.

1) Motion. Moving images are just not as natural on LCDs. Either you turn 120/240 on and everything looks like weird hyper-real soap opera video, or you leave it off and you have massive artifacts and lack of smoothness. This is a big deal to me. Movies just look so weird on 120/240 Hz LCDs.

2) Brightness. The overall brightness of LCD screens is good in two situations: showroom floors and brightly lit rooms. LCDs are perfect for rooms with a lot of sunlight, conference rooms that are well lit for videoconferencing, etc. They're not so good in living rooms or theater rooms. Bright screens are uncomfortable to watch when ambient lighting is moderately controlled - and when you turn the brightness down on an LCD the picture quality is severely eroded.
post #3116 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post

1) Motion. Moving images are just not as natural on LCDs. Either you turn 120/240 on and everything looks like weird hyper-real soap opera video, or you leave it off and you have massive artifacts and lack of smoothness. This is a big deal to me. Movies just look so weird on 120/240 Hz LCDs.

To me it just looks all digital and not natural like on a plasma, and I really can't stand motion blur. My wife liked LCD/LED until I pointed it out to her. Sometimes they look good, but I couldn't own one.
post #3117 of 9972
The first time I ever really saw the soap opera effect was when I went and watched Harold and Kumar 2 at a friend's house on his new Sony LCD. When he started the movie I thought we were looking at outtakes or some extra special feature video or something. I couldn't get used to it.
post #3118 of 9972
I finally got it! I never did the "1st time set-up" all the way through. I didn't have internet when TV was installed. Going through it got the connection... really weird since screens were almost the same. I have an old WRT54G, never given me a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymerkramer View Post

I found that it doesn't like my new N based access point unless I set it to B/G only mode. I ended up setting my router to B/G only and having it ignore the access point. Works well that way but doesn't like the n based access point for some reason. I gave up on trying to figure it out.
post #3119 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post

I finally got it! I never did the "1st time set-up" all the way through. I didn't have internet when TV was installed. Going through it got the connection... really weird since screens were almost the same. I have an old WRT54G, never given me a problem.




glad you got it.

i just watched some youtube videos on my old 27" CRT.

its gonna be cool when I get my ST50.
post #3120 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas51 View Post

anybody have any thoughts about this way to calibrate your tv??:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5793273_cali...ra-plasma.html

There is not much there there.

I haven't calibrated my own display, but a lot of beginners like the Disney WoW disk and the available tutorials that go with it. If I were doing my own calibration, I would probably start with the D-Nice settings for my model, and then I would try the WoW disk if I wanted to try to make it look better.

EDIT: For me, looking better would mean looking more natural. Skin tones that look like real faces would be one example.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]