or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 157

post #4681 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Okay, here I go... the upscaler on these TVs (ST, GT, VT) is not as good as they should be. I didn't want to say that to you since we don't know if you're not having other issues and since I can't come over to check it out, and no one is replying with a fix or anything close, I think we have come as far as we can get. I find it a little odd that there aren't more PS3 owner's posting about the same problem unless they've just decided not to play non-HD games ( like some of us have decided when it comes to programming). However, if it were me and I tried all suggestions with no success, then I would either call Panasonic and have them send a tech out or exchange the tv, since I buy through Amazon my first choice would be an exchange.

I did purchase through Amazon. Are you saying a return for a different set altogether(i.e. a Samsung) would be wise or a replacement should be initiated first?

I think a LOT of people do not notice this issue because I believe most people here are using an AVR. Most of the higher end AVR's handle upscaling so the TV won't have to.

You also seem to say the issue is with non-HD games. Yes 480p is affected as well, but so is 720p which definitely is an HD game. Most PS3 games are in 720p so this issue cannot be avoided. I would have no problem if this issue only happened with 480p. I don't watch/play anything in 480p anyways. 720p is being affected which is the problem.
post #4682 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1588 View Post

You also seem to say the issue is with non-HD games.Yes 480p is affected as well, but so is 720p which definitely is an HD game. Most PS3 games are in 720p so this issue cannot be avoided. I would have no problem if this issue only happened with 480p. I don't watch/play anything in 480p anyways. 720p is being affected which is the problem.

Didn't you say: If I force 1080i and a game does not support it (most don't), the game will then display in 480p.? That means it's 480p and the problem mainly lies with the PS3 giving the ST 480p which the tv doesn't do very well.
Quote:
I think a LOT of people do not notice this issue because I believe most people here are using an AVR. Most of the higher end AVR's handle upscaling so the TV won't have to.
I don't think so since a lot of us had to make decisions about upgrading our avr to pass 3D and use arc. Nope, I still wonder why there aren't more complaints but then it could be simply related to tv size, seating distance and expectations.

Quote:
I did purchase through Amazon. Are you saying a return for a different set altogether(i.e. a Samsung) would be wise or a replacement should be initiated first?

That is your call. It's easy enough to do either way. I returned a 60GT50 and bought a 55VT50 which I then returned for another 60GT50. Just make sure you tell the Amazon rep what you want to do. If you exchange like for like then there is no stress on monies and they send one out and pick one up- just tell them that you believe there is a problem with certain resolutions. If you want to get a Samsung then there will be a bit of a stress on monies because you are returning one and buying another, however telling the rep what you want to do will result in a faster refund. If you have the funds/credit to buy right away then they can pick up and drop off at the same time also.
post #4683 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Didn't you say: If I force 1080i and a game does not support it (most don't), the game will then display in 480p.? That means it's 480p and the problem mainly lies with the PS3 giving the ST 480p which the tv doesn't do very well.

He just stated that the PS3 will revert to outputting 480p if he forces it to output 1080i for a 720p game. You would never want to do that since the game would look terrible, plus he would still have the posterization effect as well. I don't think he ever ran the game in 480p and it wouldn't matter if he did, as he would have the same issue he is having with 720p games.

Frankie...have you tried hooking up the PS3 thru component on the ST50? For the price of the PS3 component cable I would try it for the heck of it. It might make a differance, you never know. If it makes no difference return the cable.
post #4684 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupterr View Post

He just stated that the PS3 will revert to outputting 480p if he forces it to output 1080i for a 720p game. You would never want to do that since the game would look terrible, plus he would still have the posterization effect as well. I don't think he ever ran the game in 480p and it wouldn't matter if he did, as he would have the same issue he is having with 720p games.


Got it! Thanks.

Quote:
Frankie...have you tried hooking up the PS3 thru component on the ST50? For the price of the PS3 component cable I would try it for the heck of it. It might make a differance, you never know. If it makes no difference return the cable.

Great suggestion.
post #4685 of 9972
Frankie PMed me about the oil painting issue, wanting me to try things out. Thought I'd just post the results (such as they) here.

I usually use an AVR (Onkyo TX-SR605) unless I'm doing 3D (it's old and won't pass through). It does a decent job of upscaling, IMO.

I connected my Dish DVR directly to the 60ST50 and set it to output 720p instead of the usual 1080i. Browsed a number of channels, including both 720p ones and 1080i ones. I honestly didn't notice anything, even though I watched big news anchor faces. Looked fine to me.

I also connected my PS3 directly to the ST50 and played a little Batman: Arkham Asylum, which is 720p (confirmed by hitting "Info" on the TV remote). Again, I didn't notice any effects. In fact, it looked fantastic, but this is the first time I've played it on the new TV.

Be advised that even though I'm a pretty picky viewer, I'm probably not the best judge of these things. I sometimes have trouble making out the differences in the pix that Frankie posts. Also, my seating distance is 12-13 feet (for a 60" TV) which is pretty far. And then there's these old tired eyes of mine...

I'm perfectly willing to believe that the effect is there and I just don't notice it. So basically my input is useless. Whatever is going on, if it's happening on my set, it's not very prominent.
post #4686 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupterr View Post

He just stated that the PS3 will revert to outputting 480p if he forces it to output 1080i for a 720p game. You would never want to do that since the game would look terrible, plus he would still have the posterization effect as well. I don't think he ever ran the game in 480p and it wouldn't matter if he did, as he would have the same issue he is having with 720p games.
Frankie...have you tried hooking up the PS3 thru component on the ST50? For the price of the PS3 component cable I would try it for the heck of it. It might make a differance, you never know. If it makes no difference return the cable.

Good suggestion, but unfortunately the problem is still there with component cables. I still have them from the PS2 days.
post #4687 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1588 View Post

Good suggestion, but unfortunately the problem is still there with component cables. I still have them from the PS2 days.

I've been watching TV all evening, on UVERSE 720p. Sports, movies, sitcoms, news. Not really noticing anything wrong. I think that if there is an oil painting effect it is not perceivable on UVERSE 720p (by me at least) from 10 feet. I also switched to 1080i for 30 min but I cannot really tell any difference.
post #4688 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludersven View Post

I've been watching TV all evening, on UVERSE 720p. Sports, movies, sitcoms, news. Not really noticing anything wrong. I think that if there is an oil painting effect it is not perceivable on UVERSE 720p (by me at least) from 10 feet. I also switched to 1080i for 30 min but I cannot really tell any difference.

Out of curiosity can you change your seating distance to 5-6 feet? I am sitting about 7-8 feet from my 50". I assume you have a 60-65". Any difference there?
post #4689 of 9972
Just as an aside, I was at Paul's TV today for the first time since I bought my TV there. While I was waiting, I had a chance to check out a lot of other TVs, which were all playing the Olympics. And I have to say, 95% of them looked like CRAP compared to my ST50! Especially the ones that were around my size (60"). I realize they probably were not calibrated well and were in torch mode and all, but still...

I even checked out a Samsung E6500, which is supposed to be the closest thing to an ST50, and was not impressed. In fact, it looked like there was some motion artifacting or something else weird going on. Again, it was probably just not adjusted right. I so wanted to find the remote and start playing around with the settings.

So anyway, this has convinced me that I really need to stick with my ST50, despite the occasional quick onset IR issues (which are actually very infrequent and only last for a minute or so). Hopefully that will resolve itself over time. The PQ on this thing is just amazing. I was watching a Blu-ray of Safe House last night, and it actually looked almost 3D at times, even though it's a 2D movie. Talk about "pop"! The black levels are just astonishing.
post #4690 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1588 View Post

Good suggestion, but unfortunately the problem is still there with component cables. I still have them from the PS2 days.

Bummer...oh well it was worth a try. Glad you already had the cable. I think I saw you post that you were going to try an exchange of the unit to see if the one you have might be defective? That would be my next step at this point as well.

Other owners have stated that thiers ST50's look fine to them with 720p content so maybe your unit is defective. Gaming should look trememndous on this set, whether it's a 720p or 1080p game. I just don't understand why you are having this picture issue with 720p games.

If you do exchange I hope that the new unit displays 720p content and games much better than what you are seeing now. Please report your findings on the new set if you go that route. Best of luck.....
post #4691 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupterr View Post

Bummer...oh well it was worth a try. Glad you already had the cable. I think I saw you post that you were going to try an exchange of the unit to see if the one you have might be defective? That would be my next step at this point as well.
Other owners have stated that thiers ST50's look fine to them with 720p content so maybe your unit is defective. Gaming should look trememndous on this set, whether it's a 720p or 1080p game. I just don't understand why you are having this picture issue with 720p games.
If you do exchange I hope that the new unit displays 720p content and games much better than what you are seeing now. Please report your findings on the new set if you go that route. Best of luck.....

I am REALLY hoping I have a defective set too. I will be calling Amazon tomorrow for a replacement. If that set has the issue I might even try one more (if Amazon permits). If the third set still has it then I will have to consider other options unfortunately.

I will definitely report my findings when the replacement comes in. Thanks for the kind words. I will need all the luck I can get! ::fingers crossed::
Edited by Frankie1588 - 8/7/12 at 8:09pm
post #4692 of 9972
Also , just to confirm to those testing the 720p issues on their ST50. You are NOT connected via a receiver right? This issue will NOT be apparent if you are connected through a receiver capable of upscaling. Just want to be sure.
post #4693 of 9972
Frankie, no matter what anyone tells you it's not going to change what you are experiencing. Exchanging it for another ST50 will be painless and once you receive it you'll know for sure if you made the right decision. If you didn't then return that one and buy a different tv.
post #4694 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Frankie, no matter what anyone tells you it's not going to change what you are experiencing. Exchanging it for another ST50 will be painless and once you receive it you'll know for sure if you made the right decision. If you didn't then return that one and buy a different tv.

Yeah, you're right. I will be calling Amazon tomorrow. I will do 2 replacements if possible. If I experience the issue in the 2 replacements then it will be time to settle for the E6500.

I wanted as many other people to tell me they didn't have this issue because it would mean I possibly have a defective set and a replacement could possibly fix the issue.

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help me with this issue. It is MUCH appreciated. You included sheshechic. smile.gif
Edited by Frankie1588 - 8/7/12 at 8:55pm
post #4695 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1588 View Post

Also , just to confirm to those testing the 720p issues on their ST50. You are NOT connected via a receiver right? This issue will NOT be apparent if you are connected through a receiver capable of upscaling. Just want to be sure.

Correct, I totally took the AVR out of the equation while doing my testing.

Good luck with the replacement!
post #4696 of 9972
I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but does the ST30 have the same less crisp/clear image
as the ST50 because of the added in filter? I'm all for the UT50, but because of the higher input lag i'm going
to have to go with one of last years panasonic plasmas. The ST30 being the ideal choice.

And frankie, you could always get a new ST30 online at amazon.com for $999 if you don't end up liking the sammy If it even gets to that point if
this entire oil painting problem continues.
post #4697 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1588 View Post

Yeah, all my connections are directly to the TV via HDMI. Most of the cables are about a year old, but I recently (3 weeks ago) purchased a brand new HDMI cable from Amazon. I tried 2-3 different ones on the PS3 with no difference.
I did download the update on the day I purchased my TV. I will try resetting the TV to its original state when I get home.
EDIT: Here is a picture thanks to ludersven that shows exactly what I am talking about
720p
1080p
This is what you can look for in 720p broadcasts. I really hope its not as obvious in HD broadcasts/gaming as it is here.

Have you tested any 720p resolution patterns to see if any detail is being lost?

I have had 55ST50 almost two weeks and I haven't done so much actual viewing and so far I have connected only SD sources (to TV's analog inputs) and used TV's tuner but 576i signal seems maybe a bit softer than it was with my old 42" plasma (SD-resolution).
I have viewed test patterns and it seem that pretty much all detail is output so this softness might be just from much bigger screen showing how bad SD really is. But there is one another thing that might be causing this softness - maybe some noise reduction that cannot be turned off.

It was last night when this came to my mind. I was watching certain TV-serie that was broadcasted very poor quality as usual and it used to show clearly blocking artefact in backgrounds where are solid colors (like walls and such) with my old TV. Now there was practically no blocking and viewing very close I could see very little trace of it but it was mostly blended in smooth gradiation color. I have noise reduction set off in user menu. Could it be so that there is some noise reduction always on? How else I'm not seeing blocking artefacts anymore with the same source device? Maybe ST50 better gradiations could cause this also but I doubt it.

Has anyone information about service menu settings? Could it be possible to check (or even change settings) from service menu that all noise reductions settings are really off?
post #4698 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwinston View Post

Correct, I totally took the AVR out of the equation while doing my testing.
Good luck with the replacement!

Replacement will be coming Friday which is crazy fast. Absolutely love Amazon's fantastic customer service. I will even have another 30 days from replacing my current set. I will likely go through 2 and even maybe 3 replacements before I have to settle on another set. I will be able to test the issue right away before the delivery guys leave so it won't be a huge issue. Here's hoping that I truly do have a somewhat defective set on my hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post

Have you tested any 720p resolution patterns to see if any detail is being lost?
I have had 55ST50 almost two weeks and I haven't done so much actual viewing and so far I have connected only SD sources (to TV's analog inputs) and used TV's tuner but 576i signal seems maybe a bit softer than it was with my old 42" plasma (SD-resolution).
I have viewed test patterns and it seem that pretty much all detail is output so this softness might be just from much bigger screen showing how bad SD really is. But there is one another thing that might be causing this softness - maybe some noise reduction that cannot be turned off.
It was last night when this came to my mind. I was watching certain TV-serie that was broadcasted very poor quality as usual and it used to show clearly blocking artefact in backgrounds where are solid colors (like walls and such) with my old TV. Now there was practically no blocking and viewing very close I could see very little trace of it but it was mostly blended in smooth gradiation color. I have noise reduction set off in user menu. Could it be so that there is some noise reduction always on? How else I'm not seeing blocking artefacts anymore with the same source device? Maybe ST50 better gradiations could cause this also but I doubt it.
Has anyone information about service menu settings? Could it be possible to check (or even change settings) from service menu that all noise reductions settings are really off?

I viewed some images in both 720p resolution AND 1080p resolution. I wouldn't mind a little bit more softness in 720p. I can almost expect it because it won't be as sharp as 1080p of course. I am getting posterization for sure in 720p. This bothers me much more than slight picture softness. It's all I look for now and I can't even enjoy the set. It's driving me crazy! I even viewed two Blu rays that showed posterization in 1080p, but it probably comes down to the source in terms of pure 1080p material.

I can tell a difference even in the text on the PS3 XMB in 720p vs 1080p. Also, I am on a 50" ST50.

I really do just hope I have a bad set because I absolutely love this TV otherwise. It would be a shame to have to downgrade to an E6500.

Have you seen any posterization on your ST50?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but does the ST30 have the same less crisp/clear image
as the ST50 because of the added in filter? I'm all for the UT50, but because of the higher input lag i'm going
to have to go with one of last years panasonic plasmas. The ST30 being the ideal choice.
And frankie, you could always get a new ST30 online at amazon.com for $999 if you don't end up liking the sammy If it even gets to that point if
this entire oil painting problem continues.

I'm curious how the ST30 compares to the Samsung E6500. I am a bit apprehensive in terms of buying an older model of a TV. I hear the ST30 has its own share of problems like some kind of green blob effect among other things.

I know that no TV is perfect, but this ST50 sure would fit the bill if the replacement didn't have any posterization issues.
Edited by Frankie1588 - 8/8/12 at 6:25am
post #4699 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but does the ST30 have the same less crisp/clear image
as the ST50 because of the added in filter? I'm all for the UT50, but because of the higher input lag i'm going
to have to go with one of last years panasonic plasmas. The ST30 being the ideal choice.
And frankie, you could always get a new ST30 online at amazon.com for $999 if you don't end up liking the sammy If it even gets to that point if
this entire oil painting problem continues.

The ST50 has a razer sharp image. Properly mastered material looks incredible.
post #4700 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1588 View Post

I viewed some images in both 720p resolution AND 1080p resolution. I wouldn't mind a little bit more softness in 720p. I can almost expect it because it won't be as sharp as 1080p of course. I am getting posterization for sure in 720p. This bothers me much more than slight picture softness. It's all I look for now and I can't even enjoy the set. It's driving me crazy! I even viewed two Blu rays that showed posterization in 1080p, but it probably comes down to the source in terms of pure 1080p material.
I can tell a difference even in the text on the PS3 XMB in 720p vs 1080p. Also, I am on a 50" ST50.
I really do just hope I have a bad set because I absolutely love this TV otherwise. It would be a shame to have to downgrade to an E6500.
Have you seen any posterization on your ST50?

OK, I must read you post in a hurry because I thought you were complaining about soft image. I cannot say that I have noticed anty posterization with my 55ST50 even with low quality SD 576i signal from analog inputs but image is maybe a little bit softer than it should be. Also I see that faces have slight clay face look (missing skin detail) just like some noise reduction was on but this could be just from much larger picture size.

Before I bought my 55ST50 I also compared 50ST50 against Samsung 51E8000 and Samsung looked even softer with SD signals.
post #4701 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post

OK, I must read you post in a hurry because I thought you were complaining about soft image. I cannot say that I have noticed anty posterization with my 55ST50 even with low quality SD 576i signal from analog inputs but image is maybe a little bit softer than it should be. Also I see that faces have slight clay face look (missing skin detail) just like some noise reduction was on but this could be just from much larger picture size.
Before I bought my 55ST50 I also compared 50ST50 against Samsung 51E8000 and Samsung looked even softer with SD signals.

Yeah, a clay looking face can also look similar to posterization. I notice this on my ST50. Can you notice this in all resolutions?
post #4702 of 9972
I did all my testing HDMI to ST as my AVR has no HDMI switching.

Good luck with your testing.
post #4703 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1588 View Post

Yeah, a clay looking face can also look similar to posterization. I notice this on my ST50. Can you notice this in all resolutions?
I have tested other than SD signals very little so far but I noticed this watching Olympics @1080i (HD broadcast from TV's tuner). I get much better facial details with my projector from blu-ray but I'm not sure how good face detail is in HDTV broadcasts.
I haven't noticed typical posterization where colors gradiations look stepped, actually quite contrary as I explained in my previous posts that I don't see blocking artefacts in poor SDTV broadcasts.
post #4704 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1588 View Post

I kind of disagree about this set not being ideal for gaming unless he was referring to those who ONLY game. If someone was to ONLY play video games on this set then I can totally understand this not being the right set because of IR. I watch movies, netflix, HD broadcast, and play video games. Playing video games is a large portion, but that is not ALL I will be doing on the set. I think this is a great set as long as you mix up the content. The picture is fantastic and the input lag (32ms for custom) has not been a problem for me at all. Most of my IR has been from white logos, but it does pass with mixed content.
I don't really want to get an E6500 like I stated previously, but I am not sure if I can live with this issue because most PS3 games ARE in 720p unfortunately.
I am looking forward to your impressions of the issue.

Just for my own understanding as I am an avid PS3 gamer and soon-to-be ST owner.

I've noticed in my PS3 settings I can tell it which resolution to output (720p, 1080i, 1080p) and it then tests my panel to see if it is capable of outputting the resolutions. If I understand you correctly - so lets say you place a check mark next to all resolutions supported by your TV and lets assume your TV is 1080p capable -- if the game says 720p on the back of the game box the PS3 will not upconvert, but rather "down"convert?? Or will it display the game at 720p BUT with the oil effect you are referring to?

SO games that are:
720p display oil effect
1080i look great AND
1080p look outstanding............am I understanding this correctly?

If you were not getting this oil effect would you choose the PS3 resolution output based on each individual game? So, you would check/uncheck resolution prior to playing each game? OR you would just check all resolutions supported and let the games begin?
post #4705 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1588 View Post

Out of curiosity can you change your seating distance to 5-6 feet? I am sitting about 7-8 feet from my 50". I assume you have a 60-65". Any difference there?

I have a 55GT50. Used to have a 65ST50. Viewing distance is/was about 10 feet for both. I can look at the TV from 5-6 feet but I'm not planning to move our sofa or chair to sit in the middle of the room and block my wife's view, in order to to do an extended viewing test from 5 feet.
Based on what I saw in the PS3 avatar comparison I fully expect to see some of this effect once I play a 720 game. But I doubt it will bother me much.
Frankly we mostly play Singstar cool.gif so graphics is not a factor. But I may fire up FIFA World Cup or Tiger Woods Golf and see what it looks like. I also have LOTR War In the North which I may try too. Maybe this weekend. I'll comment back if I see something outrageous.

Btw my UVERSE receiver is directly connected to GT via HDMI.
post #4706 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post

I have tested other than SD signals very little so far but I noticed this watching Olympics @1080i (HD broadcast from TV's tuner). I get much better facial details with my projector from blu-ray but I'm not sure how good face detail is in HDTV broadcasts.
I haven't noticed typical posterization where colors gradiations look stepped, actually quite contrary as I explained in my previous posts that I don't see blocking artefacts in poor SDTV broadcasts.

It doesn't look like blocks of gradients. The posterization does cause a "softer" effect and you lose a LOT of detail. I meant to say that "softness" isn't the only issue. It does look softer because of posterization, but the effect is quite bad. It is all I look for and it drives me crazy. The best description truly was an "oil painting" like effect that is visible on faces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorRican View Post

Just for my own understanding as I am an avid PS3 gamer and soon-to-be ST owner.
I've noticed in my PS3 settings I can tell it which resolution to output (720p, 1080i, 1080p) and it then tests my panel to see if it is capable of outputting the resolutions. If I understand you correctly - so lets say you place a check mark next to all resolutions supported by your TV and lets assume your TV is 1080p capable -- if the game says 720p on the back of the game box the PS3 will not upconvert, but rather "down"convert?? Or will it display the game at 720p BUT with the oil effect you are referring to?
SO games that are:
720p display oil effect
1080i look great AND
1080p look outstanding............am I understanding this correctly?
If you were not getting this oil effect would you choose the PS3 resolution output based on each individual game? So, you would check/uncheck resolution prior to playing each game? OR you would just check all resolutions supported and let the games begin?

Yes, the PS3 does NOT have a hardware scaler. Lets say you have all resolutions checked. You then decide to boot up a game. It will see that you have 720p checked among your available resolutions. This is the native resolution for most games. It will display the game in 720p with the horrendous posterization/"oil painting" effect. MOST games are 720p. Very very few are capable of 1080p. Most of the games capable of 1080p are your smaller downloadable PSN titles such as Super Stardust HD and WipEout.

If you try to trick it into forcing 1080i/p only by selecting ONLY 480p/1080i/1080p most games will often revert to 480p (you can't NOT have 480p selected). The PS3 will not upscale any content. Some games have software upscaling where the developer allow a game to display at 1080i/1080p, but more often than not it doesn't look great. It will look blurry which is weird. Not too many developers implement this option either.
Edited by Frankie1588 - 8/8/12 at 8:45am
post #4707 of 9972
Has anyone contacted Panasonic to notify their engineers about the 720p issue? It could be something as simple as a firmware fix in the future.

Don't just contact a Tech support rep. They need to forward it to their engineers.

I have a Denon 4311 and an Xbox so its a non issue for me.
post #4708 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1588 View Post

Also , just to confirm to those testing the 720p issues on their ST50. You are NOT connected via a receiver right? This issue will NOT be apparent if you are connected through a receiver capable of upscaling. Just want to be sure.

Have you tried someone ele's PS3 on your set?

Have you tried someone else's disc of the same game?

Have you tried posting the problem on the PS3 thread?
post #4709 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor View Post

Have you tried someone ele's PS3 on your set?
Have you tried someone else's disc of the same game?
Have you tried posting the problem on the PS3 thread?

Its not the PS3. It doesn't cause this problem on an LCD in the house nor my previous HD CRT. I also confirmed with several ST50 owners with a PS3 that they receive the same issue (on the avatars anyways).

I have over 50 games so I have plenty of games to try.

The problem isn't exclusively with the PS3. It happens with ANYTHING in 720p for me. Its just that PS3 is the one device that makes it a problem because my other devices (cable box and xbox 360) have internal hardware scalers that do not need to rely on the TV's scaler.

I feel like I would find more ST50 owners with a PS3 here as opposed to ST50 owners on a PS3 thread.
post #4710 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1588 View Post

Its not the PS3. It doesn't cause this problem on an LCD in the house nor my previous HD CRT. I also confirmed with several ST50 owners with a PS3 that they receive the same issue (on the avatars anyways).
I have over 50 games so I have plenty of games to try.
The problem isn't exclusively with the PS3. It happens with ANYTHING in 720p for me. Its just that PS3 is the one device that makes it a problem because my other devices (cable box and xbox 360) have internal hardware scalers that do not need to rely on the TV's scaler.
I feel like I would find more ST50 owners with a PS3 here as opposed to ST50 owners on a PS3 thread.

Doesn't the ps3 have a setup option telling you what to output. I'm pretty sure mine is set to 1080i.

I have a ST50 and 2 PS3's but I don't have a PS3 connected to my ST50. Nor will I. I don't want my kids playing their games on my new TV.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]