or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 188

post #5611 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmp View Post

honestly i didn't. I paid close attention last night and did notice a little when i was selecting a play in madden, almost like i was moving to fast when selecting, but during gameplay if i made a move while running it didn't seem like an issue.

Ah okay.

The reason I am asking is because I have a Samsung DLP from 2004 that has REALLY bad lag.

In Rock Band 2, the in game test was like 120ms of input lag, which is ridiculous.

But again, I had no clue my DLP even had lag for at least 4 years, until I was made aware of it and once I did, I could never go back.
post #5612 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Lafayette View Post

they didnt have any at the BB in lafayette, i did find the 60 inch at sears though.... how do you like the brightness of the picture? i found it to be a little dim in the store. how is it in the daylight?

Did you post same ? under General Panels? A reply is there...
post #5613 of 9972
Again my question do we have a 50ST50settngs thread or where are the calibrated settings?

Thanks
post #5614 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Lafayette View Post

they didnt have any at the BB in lafayette, i did find the 60 inch at sears though.... how do you like the brightness of the picture? i found it to be a little dim in the store. how is it in the daylight?

you can't go by what the store settings are. This panel is plenty bright enough during the day and night. The store lighting is different and they upsell the **** out of LED panels by turning the brightness on those way up. They do not do this on the plasmas as far as i've seen. Trust me i bought the Sharp Aquos and returned it within 30 days to get this set. When i bought the Aquos i was happy with it but still felt like i was missing something. You how you buy a big item and start questioning yourself, did i buy the right thing, is this the actual one i want or did i settle. Those types of questions. After doing a lot of research i went in and bought the ST50. Once this thing showed up at my door and got hooked up, i stopped questioning my tv purchase.
post #5615 of 9972
Sorry for such a simple question but I can't quite figure this out. Does the ST50 automatically upscale signals going into it to 1080p? My question concerns my cable box, a Cisco Explorer 4640HDC with TWC. I have 480p, 720p and 1080i selected in the output resolutions (the box doesn't have a native setting) so when I hit the info button on the ST50 is shows me the resolution for the channel I'm on (example CBS is 1080i on the box and shows 1080i on the ST50). Is this the way it's supposed to be? It doesn't auto upscale those signals to 1080p? Just wondered if I'm missing something. I'm running my cable through a DVDO EDGE to my Panasonic 65PZ850U and have the EDGE to output 1080p which is what shows up when I hit the display's info button. thanks for the patience and the info.
......did a search for the cable box and found this in the PDF: "1080p/24 or 1080p/30 output formats are available on HDMI, if those formats are presented to the set-top box at its input. Incoming video formats will not be converted to either of these for output. Output of these formats is under software control."
Oh well, still looks amazing and may just try moving the EDGE upstairs and see if I can force it to do 1080p.
Edited by subavision212 - 9/12/12 at 8:50am
post #5616 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

Sorry for such a simple question but I can't quite figure this out. Does the ST50 automatically upscale signals going into it to 1080p? My question concerns my cable box, a Cisco Explorer 4640HDC with TWC. I have 480p, 720p and 1080i selected in the output resolutions (the box doesn't have a native setting) so when I hit the info button on the ST50 is shows me the resolution for the channel I'm on (example CBS is 1080i on the box and shows 1080i on the ST50). Is this the way it's supposed to be? It doesn't auto upscale those signals to 1080p? Just wondered if I'm missing something. I'm running my cable through a DVDO EDGE to my Panasonic 65PZ850U and have the EDGE to output 1080p which is what shows up when I hit the display's info button. thanks for the patience and the info.
......did a search for the cable box and found this in the PDF: "1080p/24 or 1080p/30 output formats are available on HDMI, if those formats are presented to the set-top box at its input. Incoming video formats will not be converted to either of these for output. Output of these formats is under software control."
Oh well, still looks amazing and may just try moving the EDGE upstairs and see if I can force it to do 1080p.

When you hit the info button the display tells you what the incoming signal is, not the resolution being displayed. You have a fixed pixel display. It's upconverting everything to 1080p.
post #5617 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmp View Post

you can't go by what the store settings are. This panel is plenty bright enough during the day and night. The store lighting is different and they upsell the **** out of LED panels by turning the brightness on those way up. They do not do this on the plasmas as far as i've seen. Trust me i bought the Sharp Aquos and returned it within 30 days to get this set. When i bought the Aquos i was happy with it but still felt like i was missing something. You how you buy a big item and start questioning yourself, did i buy the right thing, is this the actual one i want or did i settle. Those types of questions. After doing a lot of research i went in and bought the ST50. Once this thing showed up at my door and got hooked up, i stopped questioning my tv purchase.


thx i hope to get one at the end of the year when we move into a new house. i am still debting on getting a 55 inch with an extended warranty vs a 60 inch with no warranty.....
post #5618 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

When you hit the info button the display tells you what the incoming signal is, not the resolution being displayed. You have a fixed pixel display. It's upconverting everything to 1080p.
So that's why the display connected to the EDGE shows 1080p when I hit the info button on the remote, correct? Thanks for the help.
post #5619 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machtmensch View Post

Again my question do we have a 50ST50settngs thread or where are the calibrated settings?
Thanks

If you want calibrated settings try CNET settings many here use these settings. You could also join HDJ and use the calibrated settings provided on their site.
post #5620 of 9972
on this TV if i watch some 720P MKV files will it auto up convert to 1080p and fill the whole screen? or will it still have the black bars? and would these black bars have any IR effects on the TV?


thx
post #5621 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Lafayette View Post

on this TV if i watch some 720P MKV files will it auto up convert to 1080p and fill the whole screen? or will it still have the black bars? and would these black bars have any IR effects on the TV?
thx
It will fill the screen, but most movies have a ~2.35 aspect ratio, so there will be black bars on the top and bottom to preserve the AR. Only if the content has a 1.78 AR will it fill the screen.

As long as you don't only watch black bar'd content, then you should be fine... don't worry about them.
post #5622 of 9972
thx, i have a 5 year 50 inch 720p Vizio plasma and never really had issues with it. doing homework so when we purchase our new home it will be a nice setup. i know the new home will be more open and have alot more light flowing through the LR area. just concerned more about the TV's brightness more than anything, i know the PQ is legit
post #5623 of 9972
I should be clear about something... you don't have to worry about black bars, but you should try to avoid them as much as possible during the first 100-150 hours just so that your phosphors can age somewhat evenly.

Brightness on this set is one of the best for a plasma and the filter is pretty good... it should work well.
post #5624 of 9972
thx i hope to get one by the end of the year. so to break it in, just run a movie channel without logo's? maybe overnight for a couple weeks? or run a DVD or movie over and over would be fine?

thx for replies guys
post #5625 of 9972
Just try to watch full-screen content. If there are logos, try not to leave them there for extended periods of time (ie several hours a day)... mix it up a little. After 100-150 hours, don't worry about black bars, or at least try not to strictly view 2.35 movies or 4:3 content with bars all day. You don't really have to baby your set, but at the same time, don't abuse it either.
post #5626 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

Just try to watch full-screen content. If there are logos, try not to leave them there for extended periods of time (ie several hours a day)... mix it up a little. After 100-150 hours, don't worry about black bars, or at least try not to strictly view 2.35 movies or 4:3 content with bars all day. You don't really have to baby your set, but at the same time, don't abuse it either.

thx, so whats the native resolution on it? 1920 x 1080 right?
post #5627 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Lafayette View Post


thx, so whats the native resolution on it? 1920 x 1080 right?
Yes. That's true for almost all displays of any larger size.
post #5628 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

Sorry for such a simple question but I can't quite figure this out. Does the ST50 automatically upscale signals going into it to 1080p? My question concerns my cable box, a Cisco Explorer 4640HDC with TWC. I have 480p, 720p and 1080i selected in the output resolutions (the box doesn't have a native setting) so when I hit the info button on the ST50 is shows me the resolution for the channel I'm on (example CBS is 1080i on the box and shows 1080i on the ST50). Is this the way it's supposed to be? It doesn't auto upscale those signals to 1080p? Just wondered if I'm missing something. I'm running my cable through a DVDO EDGE to my Panasonic 65PZ850U and have the EDGE to output 1080p which is what shows up when I hit the display's info button. thanks for the patience and the info.
......did a search for the cable box and found this in the PDF: "1080p/24 or 1080p/30 output formats are available on HDMI, if those formats are presented to the set-top box at its input. Incoming video formats will not be converted to either of these for output. Output of these formats is under software control."
Oh well, still looks amazing and may just try moving the EDGE upstairs and see if I can force it to do 1080p.

The ST50 deinterlaces and upscales as needed all input formats to the native 1080p (1920x1080) display resolution.
You might try on your cable box enabling only 1080i ouput format which would let the external box do any scaling to compare if the box or the TV is better quality in that task. Some have reported that is better than feeding say a 720p format direct to the TV.
I find on my Cisco 8642HDC DVR that its best to select 1080i output format only since then it doesn't have a 7sec or so delay switching between channels of different formats due to HDMI protocol format switching.
post #5629 of 9972
The upgrade bug has hit me and I want to upgrade my 65V10 to the 65ST50. The Big River currently is selling this set for $2300 is about to start charging tax in my state in a few days so I need to make a decision quickly to avoid tax. I don't necessarily have time to read through all these posts so a few questions I have are:

1.) Will the picture be a noticeable upgrade from my V10?
2.) Is it worth it to pay $300 for the GT50? Or just get the ST50 and get it calibrated?

Thanks!
post #5630 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post

The ST50 deinterlaces and upscales as needed all input formats to the native 1080p (1920x1080) display resolution.
You might try on your cable box enabling only 1080i ouput format which would let the external box do any scaling to compare if the box or the TV is better quality in that task. Some have reported that is better than feeding say a 720p format direct to the TV.
I find on my Cisco 8642HDC DVR that its best to select 1080i output format only since then it doesn't have a 7sec or so delay switching between channels of different formats due to HDMI protocol format switching.
Thanks, I did try that and the image was definitely softer when only 1080i was selected. I was surprised at just how big a difference there was when I switched back and forth so I just left them all selected and PQ was back to being pretty razor sharp.
post #5631 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal33 View Post

The upgrade bug has hit me and I want to upgrade my 65V10 to the 65ST50. The Big River currently is selling this set for $2300 is about to start charging tax in my state in a few days so I need to make a decision quickly to avoid tax. I don't necessarily have time to read through all these posts so a few questions I have are:
1.) Will the picture be a noticeable upgrade from my V10?
2.) Is it worth it to pay $300 for the GT50? Or just get the ST50 and get it calibrated?
Thanks!

1. yes.
2. depends on who you ask, and what features are important to you. One famous calibrator recommended the latter, stating that (and I'm paraphrasing) a calibrated ST has better PQ than an uncalibrated GT/VT. The GT features that you might like are the dual processor, extra HDMI and USB ports and additional picture modes.
post #5632 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal33 View Post

1.) Will the picture be a noticeable upgrade from my V10?
That's hard to say, but I'm confident that after a good calibration it should be a noticeable upgrade.
Quote:
2.) Is it worth it to pay $300 for the GT50? Or just get the ST50 and get it calibrated?

Thanks!
Personally I would go with the ST50 and a David Abrams calibration. He is in your area and you can read reviews of his work in the flat panel (post #2) owner's professional calibration reports linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

David Abrams has an excellent reputation here at AVS.
post #5633 of 9972
I've got a 55" that buzzes on all light colored screens. Its got about 100 hours will this go away or should I call a CSR rep?
post #5634 of 9972
Buzzing is normal on plasmas, especially on bright screens. It shouldn't be loud enough that it's annoying though; if that's the case, try and get it replaced through the store if possible.
post #5635 of 9972
yeah i got a Vizio that buzzes but you play surround sound you cant hear it.
post #5636 of 9972
Total baloney. I've had a high end plasma for almost 8 years NEVER any buzz of any kind ever regardless what was on screen. There are several "technical" reasons why any tv might buzz and do other weird stuff, but I assure you buzzing or odd sounds IF you set is operated within specs and has been properly calibrated is not normal. Period. However if you buy "b" brands or no name tv's you get what you pay for. They're cost a lot less for a reason... inferior parts, worse design, etc..

Also as a side note don't cheap out by buying cheap connecting cables. It always stuck me as knee slapping stupid that people don't think anything of spending two, three thousand or more on a tv, then nickel and dime on HDMI and optical cables. I'm not suggesting to buy that one brand that hypes the crap out of their products that really arent any better, but don't think a 6 foot long HDMI cable that costs $5-9 bucks is the same as one that cost's $25-35 or so.
post #5637 of 9972
My 55ST50 had the buzzing on all the light colored slides too and it did improve over time. I don't hear it at all now during normal viewing at any distance. But I'm sure if I turn the volume all the way down and put my ear right up against the TV I will hear a slight buzz when a light colored scene comes on. I think it is normal... pretty much what everybody else on here has experienced with this TV.
post #5638 of 9972
mine wasnt calibrated and it was a Vizio, but the only time i heard buzzing is if the tv was on mute. and i barely heard it then so it was a non-issue. i will be getting the ST 55 inch so im sure it should have any buzzing at all for the price.....
post #5639 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBoyBlue View Post

Total baloney. I've had a high end plasma for almost 8 years NEVER any buzz of any kind ever regardless what was on screen. There are several "technical" reasons why any tv might buzz and do other weird stuff, but I assure you buzzing or odd sounds IF you set is operated within specs and has been properly calibrated is not normal. Period. However if you buy "b" brands or no name tv's you get what you pay for. They're cost a lot less for a reason... inferior parts, worse design, etc..
Also as a side note don't cheap out by buying cheap connecting cables. It always stuck me as knee slapping stupid that people don't think anything of spending two, three thousand or more on a tv, then nickel and dime on HDMI and optical cables. I'm not suggesting to buy that one brand that hypes the crap out of their products that really arent any better, but don't think a 6 foot long HDMI cable that costs $5-9 bucks is the same as one that cost's $25-35 or so.
Interesting. What kind of tv do you have?
Edited by Bond 007 - 9/14/12 at 4:57pm
post #5640 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBoyBlue View Post

Total baloney. I've had a high end plasma for almost 8 years NEVER any buzz of any kind ever regardless what was on screen. There are several "technical" reasons why any tv might buzz and do other weird stuff, but I assure you buzzing or odd sounds IF you set is operated within specs and has been properly calibrated is not normal. Period. However if you buy "b" brands or no name tv's you get what you pay for. They're cost a lot less for a reason... inferior parts, worse design, etc..
Also as a side note don't cheap out by buying cheap connecting cables. It always stuck me as knee slapping stupid that people don't think anything of spending two, three thousand or more on a tv, then nickel and dime on HDMI and optical cables. I'm not suggesting to buy that one brand that hypes the crap out of their products that really arent any better, but don't think a 6 foot long HDMI cable that costs $5-9 bucks is the same as one that cost's $25-35 or so.
Every plasma buzzes to a degree, whether you hear it or not is another topic.

As for HDMI cables, all I'm gonna say is, keep wasting your money. You seem to be firm on the idea that it actually makes a difference.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]