or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 248

post #7411 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Buy a pack of Light Dims. Get the "Original" Light Dims which are 50% light blocking. The 100% versions completely block the light just like a square of black electrical tape does. They're about $3 at Fry's.
I use the 50% Light Dims, but before that i simply cut a tiny piece of black tape to cover the majority of the light, but just enough to leave a sliver of red light peeking through at the bottom. I had to focus on it to see any red light while watching TV. I also put Light Dims on my cable DVR and an alarm clock that's too bright. You can put two layers to make a light even darker.
http://lightdims.com/
http://lightdims.com/tvad.htm?PHPSESSID=afdb265d465ab355c5a33e3ece3c14d0
Honestly it doesnt bother me that much. It just doesn't make sense and I would rather complain. Thanks though.
post #7412 of 9972
So if ir is darker than the black screen is that burn in? Or still temporary ir?
post #7413 of 9972
Now that the official panasonic 3D glasses have crept closer to $70 on Amazon, has anyone tried these universal 3D glasses for the ST50s? They equally have good reviews and am wondering if they're a better alternative to the cheaper samsung ones.
post #7414 of 9972
Okay, I'm proud to say that my 55" ST50 was just delivered today. My wife allowed me to purchase this . . . for our bedroom. Is she awesome or what? It's sitting there, waiting for me to explore it. I did some research before I bought it, but I'm sure I'll still have a million questions However, first thing is first. I'll get back with you guys when I'm done reading the preceding 247 pages.
post #7415 of 9972
Today it'll be a week since i got the 50st50 running.
So far:

- line bleed - I've seen it a few times but you have to look for it, but now that i've seen it, im constantly keeping an eye out for it!
- IR - i have yet to see any, I've even tried to 'force it' but haven't been able to get anything to stick on the screen for a few seconds
- buzzing - very apparent on screens with white. I understand this is normal to a certain degree, but after reviewing this thread, users either have or don't have noticeable buzzing. What's the general consensus on buzzing? what can produce it %100 of the time? I say we all try to replicate this and report back with results. I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle of returning only to get another unit with the same issue eek.gif

i think I've spent more time on the video settings screen than watching tv tongue.gif
post #7416 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

The engineer who made that decision should be smacked. Only thing I have ever seen where the standby light only lights when it is on. Yes I know its a power light but it should be a standby light like every other electronic device I have. I bet a firmware update could fix that.
I realized that the light is not the part that reads the remote, so I just cut out a tiny piece of black construction paper and put it over the light, and wah-lah - no more light! It doesn't shine through at all and you can't see it on the set. I feel so much better now.smile.gif
post #7417 of 9972
So I started running the slides today and I can definitely hear the buzzing, especially on the white screen in a quiet room. With my ear within 2-3' from the back it's pretty annoying. From the front, sitting 4-5' feet away it is still apparent. It's definitely more noticeable when running the slides, as opposed to the quick test I did when I received the TV, because I'm able to hear the sound increase when it changes to white again. While the white screen is displayed the 55ST50 is (slightly?) louder than my 42" during normal viewing. It's been so long since I had the white screen on my 42" so I can't say which set is louder with a white screen. With the volume low on my 42" I don't notice the buzzing while watching content. I'm afraid that I will be able to with the 55ST50.

I looked for banding and I think it's there, albeit very slight. I see a very feint 1'' vertical band near the middle and another one on the far right. I notice them on a couple of the gray slides. It's hard to tell because sometimes i think my eyes are playing tricks on me, lol. I doubt I'd see it while viewing normal content unless it got worse.

One other thing I noticed, which I don't see on any of the other slides, is this wavy, green pixelated effect across the entire screen on the darkest grey slide. Anyone else experience it? Is this dithering?

It's frustrating, because other than the buzzing the set seems acceptable. What to do, what to do.

Mine is an October build if that makes a difference.
post #7418 of 9972
have had a 65 inch for about 60 hours and noticed ir after playing black ops 2 on game mode. it's the lower right hand corner where it tells you how much ammo you have and the scorestreak icon. it's getting more faint but do i have to worry about this everytime i play the game?
post #7419 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duofiend View Post

have had a 65 inch for about 60 hours and noticed ir after playing black ops 2 on game mode. it's the lower right hand corner where it tells you how much ammo you have and the scorestreak icon. it's getting more faint but do i have to worry about this everytime i play the game?
Yes.
post #7420 of 9972
Sorry all, I tired searching, but didn't have much luck. 7000+ posts.

Is anyone else having issue with green Luminance when calibrating? I can get Red and Blue dead on, but nothing I change seems to help with Green.

Thank You.
post #7421 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Yes.

i've heard that the ir issues with gaming go away after a while... once the screen 'breaks in,' the IR isn't much of an issue.
post #7422 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermas View Post

i've heard that the ir issues with gaming go away after a while... once the screen 'breaks in,' the IR isn't much of an issue.
Some say that and some don't. Depends on the panel. He wanted to know if he should worry. Personally something that has already given me ir is something that I would worry about. I havent experienced any significant ir but I did the 100 hr prep. Nearly everyone will tell you to be careful during that time. Gaming is probably the worst thing to do.
post #7423 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Yes.
i wouldnt worry about it but be mindful of it. I did the 100 hour prep. Since that ive probably played over 25 hours of blops 2 this lat week and a half u get some temp ir but ir always goes away mind u i play over 5 hour sessions. The ir i mentioned earliae went away after i watched some hd contenr
post #7424 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensly View Post

Today it'll be a week since i got the 50st50 running.
So far:
- line bleed - I've seen it a few times but you have to look for it, but now that i've seen it, im constantly keeping an eye out for it!
- IR - i have yet to see any, I've even tried to 'force it' but haven't been able to get anything to stick on the screen for a few seconds
- buzzing - very apparent on screens with white. I understand this is normal to a certain degree, but after reviewing this thread, users either have or don't have noticeable buzzing. What's the general consensus on buzzing? what can produce it %100 of the time? I say we all try to replicate this and report back with results. I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle of returning only to get another unit with the same issue eek.gif
i think I've spent more time on the video settings screen than watching tv tongue.gif

How are you checking for ir on a black or grey screen?
post #7425 of 9972
To test IR, i'll be watching a channel that has either a static logo or banners and switch to another channel to see if there is any residue, none so far.
post #7426 of 9972
Something new came up on me 50st50 that's even more annoying than the buzzing!
I'll be watching something on an htpc, input 4 (HDMI), and switch to the cable box on input 2 (HDMI) but when i return to the PC, there's no sounds, just video!
So far, the fix is to reboot the pc and all is well, but as soon as i switch inputs and return to the PC, same thing.

Please tell me there is a simple fix! eek.gif
post #7427 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensly View Post

To test IR, i'll be watching a channel that has either a static logo or banners and switch to another channel to see if there is any residue, none so far.
i dont test ir that way because you can never see it on normal viewing even the cod ir from gaming i have to put it on black or grey slide to see. Either way the ir os
Starting to show less and less as i watch more of this tv. So thats a good sign aside from
Its astounding pq.
post #7428 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomess023 View Post

i wouldnt worry about it but be mindful of it. I did the 100 hour prep. Since that ive probably played over 25 hours of blops 2 this lat week and a half u get some temp ir but ir always goes away mind u i play over 5 hour sessions. The ir i mentioned earliae went away after i watched some hd contenr
Mindful is a better choice of words.
post #7429 of 9972
actually, if i turn off the tv and turn back on, this automatically kills the hdmi audio connection to the PC mad.gif
post #7430 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensly View Post

actually, if i turn off the tv and turn back on, this automatically kills the hdmi audio connection to the PC mad.gif

ps: I also turned off the viera power savings features with no affect eek.gif
post #7431 of 9972
arghh it looks to be a known issue with the video card: AMD Saphire 5450 1G DDR3 it figures.
Enough of talking to myself wink.gif
post #7432 of 9972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensly View Post

actually, if i turn off the tv and turn back on, this automatically kills the hdmi audio connection to the PC mad.gif

This has happened to other HTPC users. It's not the TV, it's an issue with your particular HDMI video card or the settings etc. The HDCP stuff is wonky on a lot of PC video cards, and technically the TV isn't designed to be used with HTPC - just regular sources like cable boxes and disc players etc.

You might want to post this issue over in the HTPC forum and give specific details about your particular video card and the problem that you're having.

In the meantime, maybe you can run an analog audio cable from your PC to the analog input on the TV, then go into the Advanced Audio menu and change audio on that HDMI input from Digital to Analog. That should get you analog audio from your PC for the time being.
post #7433 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensly View Post

arghh it looks to be a known issue with the video card: AMD Saphire 5450 1G DDR3 it figures.
Enough of talking to myself wink.gif

Solved by rolling back drivers to v12.1 FYI in case someone runs into this silly issue tongue.gif
post #7434 of 9972
Hey Randy,
thanks for the info, will do!
post #7435 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Buy a pack of Light Dims. Get the "Original" Light Dims which are 50% light blocking. The 100% versions completely block the light just like a square of black electrical tape does. They're about $3 at Fry's.
I use the 50% Light Dims, but before that i simply cut a tiny piece of black tape to cover the majority of the light, but just enough to leave a sliver of red light peeking through at the bottom. I had to focus on it to see any red light while watching TV. I also put Light Dims on my cable DVR and an alarm clock that's too bright. You can put two layers to make a light even darker.
http://lightdims.com/
http://lightdims.com/tvad.htm?PHPSESSID=afdb265d465ab355c5a33e3ece3c14d0

Ahhh great idea...I needed something like this for sooo many of my electronics.
post #7436 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

I guess you'd spend a lot of time with your face about one foot from the screen because that's about the only way that you'd notice a single dead pixel during day-to-day TV use.

it was noticeable from normal viewing distance. I first noticed on a black screen, it looked like a blob of ink, then i could see on white screens, or full color backgrounds the dot of the dead pixel.
post #7437 of 9972
One week in and I'm loving the TV.. only now did I start noticing the faint buzz, but that's only when there is a lot of white on the screen and I have everything on mute with dead silence in the room. The heat is a lot less then I was expecting from a Plasma as well, it gets a bit warm to the touch, but what electronic device doesn't when it's been running for hours? Also, I'm pretty shocked how much lighter and thinner this is than my 4 year old Phillips LCD.
post #7438 of 9972
Although the buzzing is definitely noticeable on my 55ST50, despite knowing that others don't have it and that it is minimal on a 50' plasma in the living room, I am going to run the slides for 100 hours and then see if I can hear it while watching TV. Hopefully it's a non-issue under normal viewing.
post #7439 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomess023 View Post

i wouldnt worry about it but be mindful of it. I did the 100 hour prep. Since that ive probably played over 25 hours of blops 2 this lat week and a half u get some temp ir but ir always goes away mind u i play over 5 hour sessions. The ir i mentioned earliae went away after i watched some hd contenr

what settings do you use while you play?
post #7440 of 9972
"...My wife allowed me to purchase this . . . for our bedroom. Is she awesome or what? It's sitting there, waiting for me to explore it....."

What about the tv ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]