or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 253

post #7561 of 9972
Hey guys,

We decided to fix up our large family room downstairs with a tv and a couch. Currently, we only have two viewing areas in the house. One, our bedroom, and the other, the media room with JVC DLA projector (which I love). Unfortunately, neither is great for when we have friends over, hence the recent "fix up". Anyway, I bought the samsung 530 on BF at BB. 60", and it was a reasonable deal. We got it home, and the picture for the price is very reasonable. The deal breaker, however, is it acts like a mirror. Now, the other tv we have is also a plasma (panasonic), and we don't have near the issue with reflections. At first the wife didn't notice it, but it's a deal breaker for me. Today she finally agreed with me, and we agreed to exchange it.

Now, I'm partial to a plasma screen, I've owned several, and the only LCD I have is used as my computer monitor (32"). So, obviously this is where I've started in my re-search research. I can upgrade to the 55ST50 without much price difference. Yes, I'll be losing 5", but spending another $500 in addition to the already increased price isn't really an option. I'd rather have a better display on a smaller screen.

That said, I have a few questions for everyone:

1) Do you think I will be happy with the ST performance related to window glare/reflection, and light response? (I know this is subjective, wanting your opinion)
We have two windows directly behind (about 25ft) where the tv will be. These are covered, but I can see the curtains in the current tv, and the walls, and
ourselves, with just a little room lighting.

2) With regard to IR, the panny upstairs has no trace of IR, is it a general consensus that as the TV (ST50) ages this becomes a mute point?

3) Do you find the sound to be adequate on this model, even if external sound isn't an option (future upgrade is possible)?

4) Am I better off considering a LED tv in lieu of this TV for well lit area? I won't ask for models, as this is the ST50 thread.

5) Would you get or forego the BB warranty r/t the "Burn-in" provision?

Thanks for the time spent reading this, and I thank you for your responses.
Edited by eyeage30 - 12/6/12 at 9:30am
post #7562 of 9972
Motion smoothing creates the "soap opera effect " so I have it completely turned off. I haven't noticed any lag though.

Is there a way to make the anti ir wipe go longer than 15 minutes?

Watched Prometheus, under the sea inadequate, and avatar in 3d yesterday and all were extremely impressive, especially avatar (ie the part where they're in the forest running from those black panther looking creatures) . Still have brave and Hugo to watch in 3d as well. I have never bought blu rays but think I will start a little collection now. This TV has been awesome.

Can anyone link me to picture settings for 3d?
post #7563 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeage30 View Post

Hey guys,
We decided to fix up our large family room downstairs with a tv and a couch. Currently, we only have two viewing areas in the house. One, our bedroom, and the other, the media room with JVC DLA projector (which I love). Unfortunately, neither is great for when we have friends over, hence the recent "fix up". Anyway, I bought the samsung 530 on BF at BB. 60", and it was a reasonable deal. We got it home, and the picture for the price is very reasonable. The deal breaker, however, is it acts like a mirror. Now, the other tv we have is also a plasma (panasonic), and we don't have near the issue with reflections. At first the wife didn't notice it, but it's a deal breaker for me. Today she finally agreed with me, and we agreed to exchange it.
Now, I'm partial to a plasma screen, I've owned several, and the only LCD I have is used as my computer monitor (32"). So, obviously this is where I've started in my re-search research. I can upgrade to the 55ST50 without much price difference. Yes, I'll be losing 5", but spending another $500 in addition to the already increased price isn't really an option. I'd rather have a better display on a smaller screen.
That said, I have a few questions for everyone:
1) Do you think I will be happy with the ST performance related to window glare/reflection, and light response? (I know this is subjective, wanting your opinion)
We have two windows directly behind (about 25ft) where the tv will be. These are covered, but I can see the curtains in the current tv, and the walls, and
ourselves, with just a little room lighting.
2) With regard to IR, the panny upstairs has no trace of IR, is it a general consensus that as the TV (ST50) ages this becomes a mute point?
3) Do you find the sound to be adequate on this model, even if external sound isn't an option (future upgrade is possible)?
4) Am I better off considering a LED tv in lieu of this TV for well lit area? I won't ask for models, as this is the ST50 thread.
5) Would you get or forego the BB warranty r/t the "Burn-in" provision?
Thanks for the time spent reading this, and I thank you for your responses.
I also have 2 somewhat large windows directly across (behind me) from the tv. It doesnt bother me if the curtains are closed. I also had a Samsung eh6000 that I took back and the ST50 is much better with the filter. The ST50 is bright enough for me and with nearly all these tvs having a glossy finish now I dont have a problem with it. Your best bet would be an LED with a matte finish but they are hard to find and generally much more expensive. The cost and picture quality more than make up for any glare issues for me.
It seems the ir issues vary by panel and use. It has been a non issue for me.
The sound is as good as any other tv that I have had and I have had plenty. I would say above average. I have a 7.1 for when it really matters.
I got a cheap Square Trade warranty just for peace of mind. It will cover just about anything EXCEPT burn in up to $1500. The best buy warranty is quite a bit more than what I paid and burn in is really a non issue with these new plasmas unless you do something really dumb or get a bad panel. If you do get a bad panel it wont take long to figure it out.
post #7564 of 9972
Does anyone do anything different setting wise when playing vodeo games?
post #7565 of 9972
I think Panasonic itself is doing a disservice by not adding a microfiber cloth in the Packaging box that the TV comes with. Iam not saying that this excuses users that are not reading their owners manual (page 18- care and cleaning) but a cheap microfiber cloth with instructions on its packaging is not something that anyone would likely miss. My 2010 Sammy plasma included one and you couldn't miss the instructions and warnings on the microfiber plastic packaging that it came with.
post #7566 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

I think Panasonic itself is doing a disservice by not adding a microfiber cloth in the Packaging box that the TV comes with. Iam not saying that this excuses users that are not reading their owners manual (page 18- care and cleaning) but a cheap microfiber cloth with instructions on its packaging is not something that anyone would likely miss. My 2010 Sammy plasma included one and you couldn't miss the instructions and warnings on the microfiber plastic packaging that it came with.
Totally agree.
post #7567 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconsSoCal View Post

Does anyone do anything different setting wise when playing vodeo games?

I would suggest Game Mode to cut down on input lag. But if I'm playing a game for which lag isn't a factor (like Telltale's The Walking Dead game) I've been using Cnet's settings.

Game Mode leads to a noticeable improvement in input lag, but also a noticeable difference in picture quality. I've been playing around with my settings but haven't yet done my own (amateur) calibration in Game Mode, so no specifics there. Sorry.
post #7568 of 9972
I've been trying to calibrate my UT50 for 3D, can anyone who's done their xx50 series explain their method for calibrating? I've been having trouble getting consistent readings.
post #7569 of 9972
I must have the worst luck with this P60ST50 TV. So the first TV came with a cracked screen. Rejected shipment and the 2nd arrived this past Saturday. Now I'm having issues with the replacement TV. It randomly shuts itself off while in the menuing system. Then the red power LED blinks 7 times. Only way to get the TV back on is to unplug and replug in.

Doing some quick google searching it appears this TV is plagued with the "7 blinks of death".

Thankfully I purchased through Amazon and they are sending yet another replacement (3rd TV now).

Anyone else having defective TV problems?
post #7570 of 9972
Pulled the trigger tonight. Got BB to price match the tax-free amazon price (matched so that with tax the price was the same), and got the warranty. Delivery set for Monday, can't wait. Hopefully I get one of the "good ones".
post #7571 of 9972
Thank you for the heads up Bond 007.
post #7572 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I can only hope that no one that reads this actually thinks that it is ever ok to use an orbital buffer on their tv. It may have worked for you but I think that it is irresponsible to suggest it to the general public. I have been leary to suggest my method because if you are not careful it could cause problems and it is not nearly as controversial as using power equipment and a little known cleaning product that is probably a rip off. I have had absolutely no problems with streaking. If you dry with a microfiber cloth before it has a chance to air dry it will not streak. The reason that you have had such a problem with streaks is because of the product that you are advertising. I have tried several of these LCD screen cleaners in the past and they all caused streaking. It was so bad that I used to use the cleaner first to clean the screen and then come back with water to remove the residue that the cleaner had left. I no longer use those expensive completely unnecessary cleaners. They are a rip off. No wonder that it is a big seller for Monster.
This is the simple OCD method that I use. The only thing you have to be careful about is to make sure that you don't use a sponge that is too wet, is brand new and has been rinsed very well after taken out of the package.
FIRST OF ALL MAKE SURE THE TV IS OFF AND COOL! Do a good job of dusting it.
1) Get a small cellulose hand sponge. The kind that most people was dishes with. You can get them practically anywhere 6 for $2. Take it out of the package and rinse it thoroughly to make sure that there are no fibers from the factory that may scratch the screen.
2) Put about a quarter size amount of laundry detergent in a small bowl and mix with about 4 cups of distilled room temp water.
3) Use the sponge and water mix to wipe the screen in a circular motion just like you would to wash your car. Do about 1/4 of the screen (depending on the size) at a time. Rinse the sponge with tap water and rewet with the solution. Making sure that you squeeze out the excess each time. The sponge should only be damp. Water should NEVER run down the screen. I wipe the whole tv front and back when I do this since I am going through the trouble anyway. The screen will have water spots (not streaks) from the laundry detergent. Don't be discouraged. Pour out the bowl of laundry detergent/water mix. Rinse the bowl and fill with distilled water. Rinse the sponge thoroughly.
4) Get a high quality microfiber cloth. Dampen the sponge in the distilled water and wipe small sections of the screen at a time. Drying immediately with the microfiber cloth. Again wiping in a circular motion. This will remove the water spots and polish the screen.
I smoke cigarettes so I had to find a way to clean my screen from time to time. I do this about every 2 months or so and the screen looks absolutely perfect when I get done. Personally I use filtered tap water. I have one of those faucet mouned PUR water filters. But since everyone doesnt have one of these and water quality varies I suggest distilled water to be safe. Most people will be able to get away with just wiping with a microfiber cloth if you accidently put a fingerprint on it or something. But if you smoke or have children I hope this will be helpful. I have used this method on 4 different tvs over the years. It sounds like a lot more trouble than it really is. It akes me about 30 minutes to clean my 60" front and back. Everyone probably as their own way. This is mine.
I knew it wouldn't take long before someone pooh-poohed my method. I'm just a little surprised that it's from someone who smokes around their TV (particularly to the point where it necessitates cleaning the screen) and who condones using a sponge and laundry detergent on the screen.

For one thing, Radtech OmniCleanz is a very highly regarded electronics cleaner (do some reason before you dismiss it out-of-hand). It's completely safe for any electronics, it's non-conductive (you can actually spray it into powered-on electronics and it won't cause damage), and I've used it without any streaking issues on many screens -- my ST50 is the only screen where it streaked and that's the nature of the coating, not the cleaning agent. I can wipe it off before it's dry and avoid streaking but then I get microfiber lint left behind which can be troublesome to completely remove.

Next, using a small orbital buffer with a high-quality wool pad and microfiber bonnet isn't quite the same as using "power tools" -- a phrase which conjures up images of jackhammers and power drills. Using a dual-action buffer on low speed with very little pressure is most assuredly more gentle than using a sponge soaked with watered-down laundry detergent. All the buffer is doing is mimicking the action of wiping the screen by hand, but in a more even and uniform fashion. But hey, if your method works for you, great. As for mine -- I've inspected my screen with a halogen lamp and LED flashlight after I'm done and it's completely flawless.

And FWIW, I'm not advertising a damned thing. Omnicleanz works for me, but I couldn't care less if someone else buys it or not. And to call posting my method "irresponsible" is ridiculous. I assume we're all big boys and girls around here and can determine for ourselves whether or not to take the advice of anonymous internet posters. If some runs out, buys a buffer, and proceeds to abrade the coating off the screen of their TV because of my post, then they have no business owning a nice TV or a buffer. I merely posted my suggestion so that anyone who is moderately skilled could clean their TV if they happen to possess the equipment I have.

Just as you wouldn't suggest my method, I wouldn't suggest yours. But evidently they both work (I know mine does), so they're worth publicizing for the benefit of those who might feel comfortable with one or the other.
Edited by Schwa - 12/6/12 at 9:47pm
post #7573 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermolicious84 View Post

I would suggest Game Mode to cut down on input lag. But if I'm playing a game for which lag isn't a factor (like Telltale's The Walking Dead game) I've been using Cnet's settings.
Game Mode leads to a noticeable improvement in input lag, but also a noticeable difference in picture quality. I've been playing around with my settings but haven't yet done my own (amateur) calibration in Game Mode, so no specifics there. Sorry.
I play games on d nice settings did do his
Panel prep and is c net better? I know
Its brighter but are the blacks better on cnets? Anywho mind sharing what settins u r currentyl using on game mode because for the life
Of me i cant get settings on that mode rigjt
post #7574 of 9972
Just hooked-up the 55ST50 after running D-nice's slides and using his settings. The only setting I couldn't change as per his instructions was the 3:2 Pulldown in Advanced Picture Settings. It is set on off, but is supposed to be set to Auto. I cannot change it because it is blacked-out sorta. It is dark and won't let me select it and change the settings. Anyone know why my TV won't let me change this?

Thanks for any help.
post #7575 of 9972
Turned on TV after 100 hours of slide time and input D-Nice's settings.....result....not so great...I have Dish Network and the TV guide looks out of focus and dim.....watching HD content like Last Resort seems to be a little fuzzy and out of focus. The color and contrast are not bad...it seems like its the focus and somewhat fuzzy...I was not wowed....but disappointed.....Picture does not look any better than my 42" Westinghouse LCD (which is not that great of a tv). Dish guide actually looks better on my LCD than the 60ST50. On 60ST50 when I hit guide and it shows a much smaller picture of what I am watching that looks amazing in clarity and focus, it's just a lot smaller. How can i improve the picture quality? What adjustments can you suggest? Please help. Thanks so much. There is no loud buzzing at viewing distance, just when I stick my head behind the tv, which is expected.
post #7576 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidenNYC View Post

Just hooked-up the 55ST50 after running D-nice's slides and using his settings. The only setting I couldn't change as per his instructions was the 3:2 Pulldown in Advanced Picture Settings. It is set on off, but is supposed to be set to Auto. I cannot change it because it is blacked-out sorta. It is dark and won't let me select it and change the settings. Anyone know why my TV won't let me change this?
Thanks for any help.
Grayed out settings are settings that are not necessary for the source currently being used. If you are watching cable tv or an OTA broadcast you should be able to change it.
Edited by Bond 007 - 12/7/12 at 6:37am
post #7577 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Grayed out settings are settings that are not necessary for the source currently being used. If you are trying to change the pulldown while watching regular tv it will be grey because it it not necessary. Put in a DVD or Bluray and you will be able to change it.

Got it , thank you.

I have another question if I may. This is my first HDTV. I have the TV set to Full Format and I notice almost every channel is in letterbox. The only way I can sometimes get a full-screen picture is by selecting Zoom mode. Am I doing something wrong or is this the way the channels are to be viewed? I have I/O digital cable w/ a Samsung box BTW.
post #7578 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidenNYC View Post

Got it , thank you.
I have another question if I may. This is my first HDTV. I have the TV set to Full Format and I notice almost every channel is in letterbox. The only way I can sometimes get a full-screen picture is by selecting Zoom mode. Am I doing something wrong or is this the way the channels are to be viewed? I have I/O digital cable w/ a Samsung box BTW.
Full is correct for the tv. Strange that most channels are in letterbox though. Take a look at the aspect settings of your cable box. Damn. First HDTV? Must seem like a different world.
post #7579 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Full is correct for the tv. Strange that most channels are in letterbox though. Take a look at the aspect settings of your cable box. Damn. First HDTV? Must seem like a different world.
I just selected 1920x1080i Normal on my cable settings and got a full picture. Thanks a lot. I assume that is the format it should be set to?

Ha, yes. Can't wait for football on Sunday. First new TV since 1992. Thanks again for your time/help.
post #7580 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidenNYC View Post

I just selected 1920x1080i Normal on my cable settings and got a full picture. Thanks a lot. I assume that is the format it should be set to?
Ha, yes. Can't wait for football on Sunday. First new TV since 1992. Thanks again for your time/help.
That is the correct setting. You're welcome. Enjoy!
post #7581 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by iketech View Post

I got the Panasonic TC-P55ST50 on 12-4, delivered by "one" guy from CEVA and after checking for damage I got it running the slides.

...same here, same day wonder if it was same guy.
Build date in my set was July-2012 which seems a little odd, but no complaints so far.
post #7582 of 9972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTBill View Post

...same here, same day wonder if it was same guy.
Build date in my set was July-2012 which seems a little odd, but no complaints so far.

Why is that odd? You could have just as easily gotten a TV that was assembled in April or even February, yours was probably just further back in the warehouse that your TV was pulled from.
post #7583 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawnPower View Post

Turned on TV after 100 hours of slide time and input D-Nice's settings.....result....not so great...I have Dish Network and the TV guide looks out of focus and dim.....watching HD content like Last Resort seems to be a little fuzzy and out of focus. The color and contrast are not bad...it seems like its the focus and somewhat fuzzy...I was not wowed....but disappointed.....Picture does not look any better than my 42" Westinghouse LCD (which is not that great of a tv). Dish guide actually looks better on my LCD than the 60ST50. On 60ST50 when I hit guide and it shows a much smaller picture of what I am watching that looks amazing in clarity and focus, it's just a lot smaller. How can i improve the picture quality? What adjustments can you suggest? Please help. Thanks so much. There is no loud buzzing at viewing distance, just when I stick my head behind the tv, which is expected.

Sounds like it could be a signal or cable issue. Do you have another TV (besides the Westinghouse) you could try? If it's bad also, then I doubt it's your new ST50.
post #7584 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by falsedawn View Post

Sounds like it could be a signal or cable issue. Do you have another TV (besides the Westinghouse) you could try? If it's bad also, then I doubt it's your new ST50.

Thought about that...since I ran the cables myself through the ceiling and the coax did cross some electrical wires in some spots. However, I am pretty sure the distance between the lines were adequate and that they only crossed at 90 degree angles. I didn't notice the issue with the my LCD. I will try tightening up the coax connections and adjusting setting more and trying Blu-Ray. If I notice the same thing on Blu-Ray I am going to be pissed. Is there anyway to adjust the settings on the ST50 for interference in the coax line?
post #7585 of 9972
Could it be a noise and dither problem? Ways of adjusting for that? Maybe my set just has more noise and dither?
post #7586 of 9972
What exacly does the pull down setting do? When should it be on tv on 1080i , br on 1080p and gamng? Any particular reason why d nice sets it to auto and cnet sets it on
post #7587 of 9972
I know this will Shirley jinx me but, I have had the 55ST50 for 3 weeks and have watched about 40 hrs on it. LOVE EVERYTHING about it. Not a single complaint. No slides just hooked it up and been watching everything from letterbox movies to ESPN. No negatives to speak about.
post #7588 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricST View Post

I know this will Shirley jinx me but, I have had the 55ST50 for 3 weeks and have watched about 40 hrs on it. LOVE EVERYTHING about it. Not a single complaint. No slides just hooked it up and been watching everything from letterbox movies to ESPN. No negatives to speak about.

lucky you, best be knocking on that wood.
post #7589 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Yes that is correct you don't have the option on tv since it is 60hz only, blue ray can be 48hz or 60hz depending on which you like better.

So along the same lines when watching a NON-3D BluRay is the best picture achieved by watching it @ 48Hz or 60Hz? Is there a noticeable difference? Or is this totally personal preference?


PS: I know about 3D looking best @ 48Hz (less crosstalk). I am asking about NON-3D BluRays...
post #7590 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawnPower View Post

Could it be a noise and dither problem? Ways of adjusting for that? Maybe my set just has more noise and dither?

I'm a bit worried about my 65ST50 looking like shite with Dish. I think Dish is not as good quality as other providers sadly frown.gif It is weird that it looked better on your older TV though. Definitely try some Blu-Rays and stuff and I'd think you would notice a big difference from your old TV. I just joined Dish in September, so now I am locked in for 2 years, but I hope and pray it doesn't look as bad as you are saying. I'm pretty confident it's the provider though frown.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]