or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 271

post #8101 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

You don't need to do anything else. That's it.

Thanks, but shouldn't the ESPN channels be up scaled to 1080i?

That's up to personal preference.
post #8102 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

Thanks, but shouldn't the ESPN channels be up scaled to 1080i?

There was an earlier discussion on this topic - i believe on THIS board, and not Some Other - wherein somebody (honestly don't recall whom now) made a rather convincing argument that IF your cable box permits "Native" output, then that was the best option to go with.

Presumption (from memory....) is that circuits in your TV are likely better than those in the cable box...

Perhaps another reader will better recall the discussion.
post #8103 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

There was an earlier discussion on this topic - i believe on THIS board, and not Some Other - wherein somebody (honestly don't recall whom now) made a rather convincing argument that IF your cable box permits "Native" output, then that was the best option to go with.
Presumption (from memory....) is that circuits in your TV are likely better than those in the cable box...
Perhaps another reader will better recall the discussion.

Thanks guys! I do remember reading somewhere that a progressive format would show fast moving sports better. So, I'm good with ESPN and abc being 720p, just not sure why the TV isn't up scaling. Oh well, I'll probably just stick with passing the native signal to the tv
post #8104 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

There was an earlier discussion on this topic - i believe on THIS board, and not Some Other - wherein somebody (honestly don't recall whom now) made a rather convincing argument that IF your cable box permits "Native" output, then that was the best option to go with.
Presumption (from memory....) is that circuits in your TV are likely better than those in the cable box...
Perhaps another reader will better recall the discussion.

Thanks guys! I do remember reading somewhere that a progressive format would show fast moving sports better. So, I'm good with ESPN and abc being 720p, just not sure why the TV isn't up scaling. Oh well, I'll probably just stick with passing the native signal to the tv

It is. All you control is the incoming resolution.
post #8105 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

It is. All you control is the incoming resolution.
Correct. The tv converts everything to 1080p. It is telling you what resolution that it is receiving, not what resolution it is displaying. Otherwise 720p would not fill the screen.
post #8106 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by padgman1 View Post

^^^ Addendum: I put one of my DVDs in and the problem still occurs........possibly a problem with the connection/HDMI cable.......will reconfigure in the morning and see what happens.
I'm noticing that when I switch to the Bluray input on my Denon to play DVDs/Blurays, My TV screen will do the flickering pixel dance all over the screen.........should this be happening? Is this indicative of a bad connection?


Addendum: Once the HDMI cable from the Bluray player to the receiver was switched, the problems of dithering and hiccupping have disappeared for now..............YAY!
post #8107 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor View Post

I have the 50ST50 and the 65VT30  . . . both claim to be able to do Skype.  ALways ignored it, but now my 75 year old mother 600 miles away wants to skype me three times a week.  So, I have to jump in.

What would be the best Skype camera with video and mic to use on these two Panny TVs?  I do not care about staying with a Panny camera . . . could, but I just want to buy the best one out there that has a proven track record with these TVs.

Thanks for the help.


I hope I am wrong, but I recall that ONLY the panasonic camera works for Skype on our TVs. If would be nice to be able to buy any old USB web cam and have it work, but apparently that is not the case. Again, I'd love to be wrong, but this is my understanding.
post #8108 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymerkramer View Post

Same here, I have at least 8 other Netflix devices in the house and my ST50 is the only one that does this. It keeps switching resolutions like it is bitstarved. I am on a 30meg connection, my ST50 is hardwired and this is the only Netflix device that seems to have an issue keep a steady data stream going. VUDU on the ST50 has no issue at all keeping a HDX stream going for an entire 3 hour movie so it seems to be the Netflix app that is the issue.


You are correct. I believe the ST50 is using the same app that was used with the blu-ray player bdp-210 which had the black flashes whenever there was a change in download speeds. The bdp-210 thread is full of complaints about this app. Surprisingly, the bdp-220 (2012 model) doesn't seem to suffer from this problem.
post #8109 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhck66 View Post

You are correct. I believe the ST50 is using the same app that was used with the blu-ray player bdp-210 which had the black flashes whenever there was a change in download speeds. The bdp-210 thread is full of complaints about this app. Surprisingly, the bdp-220 (2012 model) doesn't seem to suffer from this problem.
I am pretty certain that a firmware update would fix it. They just haven't bothered. It seems like a stability issue. Unless you are getting 3 times the speed that you should really need, it just wants to wander about. Just guessing.
Edited by Bond 007 - 1/2/13 at 3:33am
post #8110 of 9972
btindy,
thank you! I totally forgot about the optical out on the SB. Ok, that makes sense now and simplifies the process!
I was also looking for SB's that take advantage of ARC, but they seem to cost allot more and would take one of the HDMI connections. I've got 3 HDMI devices connect and cannot give any up wink.gif
post #8111 of 9972
I'm looking at picking up the 55" sometime this month. Quick question on wall mounts for this set - will the hdmi inputs allow for a mount close to the wall (like 3/4")? I would like to mount this as close as possible to the wall but obviously don't want to have a problem with the cables not fitting. Thanks for any input anyone may have.
post #8112 of 9972
1. You might want to pick up some 90* connectors.
2. Keep air flow in mind when you get this close to the wall.
3. the power cord connector also takes up some space.
post #8113 of 9972
I just got the ST50 myself this past weekend! Now I am trying to break it in by running only movies which are full screen 16:9 resolution. However, I am realizing that many of the movies are not 16:9 and it is hard to fill up the screen. I am worried that the top and bottom black bars could have a negative effect.

Is it OK to blow up/zoom the picture to fill in the whole screen and set a movie (s) on repeat? That way I can run the TV overnight and put some mileage on it. I do not want to use DNice's stuff. I am sure it is good, but I prefer to do it running movies if possible.

Also, should I run movies rich in color (e.g. animation) as opposed to regular movies or it does not matter?
post #8114 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK in CT View Post

I'm looking at picking up the 55" sometime this month. Quick question on wall mounts for this set - will the hdmi inputs allow for a mount close to the wall (like 3/4")? I would like to mount this as close as possible to the wall but obviously don't want to have a problem with the cables not fitting. Thanks for any input anyone may have.



3/4" would butt up the power cord connector to the wall that would be the closest to the wall without modifying the drywall. All the inputs are side or under positioned. Only the power cord sticks straight out on the back panel. Either one of these from MonoPrice are capable of mounting the TV 3/4" from the wall. I got the #6424 but I ended up using the supplied one inch spacer for more ventilation. The TV does generate a good amount of heat.


http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082812&p_id=6284&seq=1&format=2&ref=cj


http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082812&p_id=6424&seq=1&format=2
Edited by meguerra - 1/2/13 at 4:48pm
post #8115 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtCocain View Post

I just got the ST50 myself this past weekend! Now I am trying to break it in by running only movies which are full screen 16:9 resolution. However, I am realizing that many of the movies are not 16:9 and it is hard to fill up the screen. I am worried that the top and bottom black bars could have a negative effect.

Is it OK to blow up/zoom the picture to fill in the whole screen and set a movie (s) on repeat? That way I can run the TV overnight and put some mileage on it. I do not want to use DNice's stuff. I am sure it is good, but I prefer to do it running movies if possible.

Also, should I run movies rich in color (e.g. animation) as opposed to regular movies or it does not matter?

If you want to age it, I would still recommend that you use the slides. It's just simpler. Put them on a flash drive or SD card...set the slideshow to repeat. You'll also get a a full field, uniform image to put those first 100-200 on on it. There is no advantage to using a method of running movies instead.
Edited by HD-Master - 1/2/13 at 5:10pm
post #8116 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by meguerra View Post

3/4" would butt up the power cord connector to the wall that would be the closest to the wall without modifying the drywall. All the inputs are side or under positioned. Only the power cord sticks straight out on the back panel. Either one of these from MonoPrice are capable of mounting the TV 3/4" from the wall. I got the #6424 but I ended up using the supplied one inch spacer for more ventilation. The TV does generate a good amount of heat.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082812&p_id=6284&seq=1&format=2&ref=cj
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082812&p_id=6424&seq=1&format=2

Thanks for the input. I was actually looking at those mounts at Monoprice which prompted my question. I guess with ventilation concerns you can be too close to the wall. Good things to think about. Thanks for all the replies everyone.
post #8117 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhck66 View Post

You are correct. I believe the ST50 is using the same app that was used with the blu-ray player bdp-210 which had the black flashes whenever there was a change in download speeds. The bdp-210 thread is full of complaints about this app. Surprisingly, the bdp-220 (2012 model) doesn't seem to suffer from this problem.
was watching some Netflix just now and this was very annoying. Deffintly the TV app as my ps3 is connected to the sane router, both wired and stays on high HD the whole time while the st50 keeps dropping to SD or medium HD. If it just happened once it twice its fine but it happens very often sometimes over and over every few seconds. Just wish Vieira link shut down the ps3 as that will make that I would never chose using the TV app over the ps3. I have not figured out how to exit the app either with my remote while using the ps3, if I could then I could turn it off in the xmb but seems like you can't exit any app without a PS button. That's the only reason why I use the TV app at night before bed so I can just turn off the TV and go to bed.
post #8118 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

If you want to age it, I would still recommend that you use the slides. It's just simpler. Put them on a flash drive or SD card...set the slideshow to repeat. You'll also get a a full field, uniform image to put those first 100-200 on on it. There is no advantage to using a method of running movies instead.

Yes, I know... but still... is it OK for me to have the TV running in zoomed in movies? Nothing's gonna happen to it if I age it that way right?
post #8119 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtCocain View Post

Yes, I know... but still... is it OK for me to have the TV running in zoomed in movies? Nothing's gonna happen to it if I age it that way right?
I don't understand what you might be worried about. It would be no different than just watching movies. It is probably not as efficient as the slides but won't do any harm. Also probably not as safe. Make sure that however you set the movie up you mimimize the chances of it pausing, stopping or turning off. If you end up with burn in let us know so that others will understand that your method is more risky.
post #8120 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I am pretty certain that a firmware update would fix it. They just haven't bothered. It seems like a stability issue. Unless you are getting 3 times the speed that you should really need, it just wants to wander about. Just guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonhern View Post

was watching some Netflix just now and this was very annoying. Deffintly the TV app as my ps3 is connected to the sane router, both wired and stays on high HD the whole time while the st50 keeps dropping to SD or medium HD. If it just happened once it twice its fine but it happens very often sometimes over and over every few seconds. Just wish Vieira link shut down the ps3 as that will make that I would never chose using the TV app over the ps3. I have not figured out how to exit the app either with my remote while using the ps3, if I could then I could turn it off in the xmb but seems like you can't exit any app without a PS button. That's the only reason why I use the TV app at night before bed so I can just turn off the TV and go to bed.


I don't think this issue will be fixed by panasonic. The owners of bdp-210 could probably chime on this. The ST50 has entered EOL (End Of Life) and considering this issue has not been the hottest topic on this thread it would be even a lesser priority for panasonic. I still wish panasonic would fix my 2011 TV that does not correctly display a Standard Definition 16x9 OTA signal; it displays all SD OTA signal in the 4x3 format. It is the little things that drives us all up the walls. I was disappointed that a brand name TV could not adhere to basic ATSC standards.
Edited by jhck66 - 1/3/13 at 10:46am
post #8121 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhck66 View Post

I don't think this issue will be fixed by panasonic. The owners of bdp-210 could probably chime on this. The ST50 has entered EOL (End Of Life) and considering this issue has not been the hottest topic on this thread it would be even a less priority for panasonic. I still wish panasonic would fix my 2011 TV that does not correctly display a Standard Definition 16x9 OTA signal; it displays all SD OTA signal in the 4x3 format. It is the little things that drives us all up the walls. I was disappointed that a brand name TV could not adhere to basic ATSC standards.
Agreed.
post #8122 of 9972
Could someone please let me know where these 'slides' are to break in the display?

I'm assuming these are picture slides to help break in the plasma panel?

thanks
post #8123 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorism View Post

Could someone please let me know where these 'slides' are to break in the display?
I'm assuming these are picture slides to help break in the plasma panel?
thanks

Are you getting your panel professionally calibrated? If not, no need to run the slides, just enjoy the TV. I would recommend using Standard setting at first as the Contrast and Brightness levels are at 50(I don't think it's that bad), disable the CATS, keep the PO enabled and watch full screen content for about 100 or so hours. If you're watching content with logos, put the format in Zoom to push the logo out of the viewing area.
post #8124 of 9972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorism View Post

Could someone please let me know where these 'slides' are to break in the display?
I'm assuming these are picture slides to help break in the plasma panel?
thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorism View Post

Could someone please let me know where these 'slides' are to break in the display?
I'm assuming these are picture slides to help break in the plasma panel?
thanks

Does nobody search the forum anymore? wink.gif

http://www.eaprogramming.com/

http://www.avsforum.com/t/949107/master-burn-in-ir-break-in-thread-part-ii-all-posts-here-only
post #8125 of 9972
I wasn't planning on a professional calibration.

I do have custom setting i got from this site - for some reason the link wont work - it's from 'Plasma TV buying guide' review.

http://reviews.*******************.com/panasonic-plasma-tv/panasonic-st50-picturesettings



thanks for the links. smile.gif
post #8126 of 9972
No need to run the slides then if you're not having it professional calibrated. It would be a waste of time and energy on both you and your panel.

I use a Custom mix of CNET settings and D-Nice's settings and I think it looks good to me. Although I still find myself doing small tweaks here and there. This was after I used the Standard mode for about 100 hours and made sure to watch full screen content.
post #8127 of 9972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorism View Post

I wasn't planning on a professional calibration.
I do have custom setting i got from this site - for some reason the link wont work - it's from 'Plasma TV buying guide' review.
http://reviews.*******************.com/panasonic-plasma-tv/panasonic-st50-picturesettings
thanks for the links. smile.gif

Plasma TV Buying Guide is a sham site which is why it's blocked at AVS. Take anything you read there with a grain of salt. Stick with more reputable sites.
post #8128 of 9972
i wasn't aware of that. Is there somewhere else i can get good custom calibrations?

i just found these from Cnet:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-559444/panasonic-tc-p55st50-picture-settings/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

they are different than the other i posted above - would this be a more reliable source?


thanks
Edited by lorism - 1/3/13 at 8:12am
post #8129 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhck66 View Post

I don't think this issue will be fixed by panasonic. The owners of bdp-210 could probably chime on this. The ST50 has entered EOL (End Of Life) and considering this issue has not been the hottest topic on this thread it would be even a less priority for panasonic. I still wish panasonic would fix my 2011 TV that does not correctly display a Standard Definition 16x9 OTA signal; it displays all SD OTA signal in the 4x3 format. It is the little things that drives us all up the walls. I was disappointed that a brand name TV could not adhere to basic ATSC standards.
What does this EOL status mean?

EOL for xxST50 models or EOL for any future xxSTx0 models?
post #8130 of 9972
Proud owner of a new 55ST50. Did not run any D-Nice slides but used his reference settings to do the initial dial-in. So far, I have been very happy with it since I got my cable upgraded to HD. SD looks a little lacking, but did not expect to look very good on the large screen. Didn't realize how many TV stations have the stupid logos in the corners until I was watching on the plasma. I did have slight IR after watching a 2 hour movie with a logo and then going to another program. But, after running the Anti-IR scrolling bar it has vanished.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]