or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 321

post #9601 of 9972
Too late to return it?
post #9602 of 9972
Yeah, too late. Just seems odd.

I can always move the soundbar into the bedroom and buy a new one, but would like to avoid that.
post #9603 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3In2Out View Post

Yeah, too late. Just seems odd.

I can always move the soundbar into the bedroom and buy a new one, but would like to avoid that.
It is odd but not unheard of. I would save up and get an HDMI soundbar. Do you have room for a HTIB? There is a great deal on one right now.
post #9604 of 9972
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882981013

You could get a decent 5.1 AVR for $200 and this would kill any soundbar.
post #9605 of 9972
I actually sold off my 5.1 setup. Had a Denon/NHT setup that sounded great, but sold off the gear to baby proof the area. Heavy speakers on stands/receiver with lots of knobs and buttons down low...etc.

Im guessing the soundbar would work if the channels were OTA, which is maybe why the more informerical type stuff works.
post #9606 of 9972
Theres no arguing the logic of your baby proofing.
Let me think about it. If I come up with anything Ill post it.
post #9607 of 9972
Yknow. Lots of stuff is 5.1 nowadays. Infomercials would almost certainly be 2.0.
Just a thought.
post #9608 of 9972
Thanks for your help.

Just seems so odd that the optical out on the TV would be THAT neutered that it couldnt pass a stereo signal to a soundbar.
post #9609 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Yknow. Lots of stuff is 5.1 nowadays. Infomercials would almost certainly be 2.0.
Just a thought.

Thats exactly the reason I think its passing them. Maybe the TV isnt having to do any work with the infomerical 2.0 audio, so it send it on along. Just seems to be having trouble with channels that pass in a surround sound format (which is basically all of them).
post #9610 of 9972
I have the 60ST50 and run optical to my AVR. I get 5.1. Since youre having no problems when you run the optical from cable box to soundbar, that leads me to believe its a compatibility issue between the soundbar and tv.
post #9611 of 9972
On a side note, reflections on this TV are a good bit better than the new Vizio M-Series I returned. I was worried about switching back to plasma and it being even worse, but its a good bit better. Was a pleasant surprise.

We have a fairly dark room, but the kitchen behind the living room as white cabinets, so anytime the lights were on in the kitchen it causes a lot of problems with the vizio.
post #9612 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3In2Out View Post

On a side note, reflections on this TV are a good bit better than the new Vizio M-Series I returned. I was worried about switching back to plasma and it being even worse, but its a good bit better. Was a pleasant surprise.

We have a fairly dark room, but the kitchen behind the living room as white cabinets, so anytime the lights were on in the kitchen it causes a lot of problems with the vizio.

That's good to hear. Mine should arrive this Thursday.

Did the Vizio have a matte or reflective screen?
post #9613 of 9972
How does the soundbar perform with the tv internal apps (Netflix, etc)?
post #9614 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I have the 60ST50 and run optical to my AVR. I get 5.1. Since youre having no problems when you run the optical from cable box to soundbar, that leads me to believe its a compatibility issue between the soundbar and tv.

Yeah, my only guess is its the TV if the soundbar handles it fine from the cable box.

Just seems odd that it would pass the stereo signal fine, but not down convert a surround signal to stereo and pass it. I thought EVERY tv would at least do that. I know most dont pass 5.1, but they should all pass stereo no matter what the source is I thought.
post #9615 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3In2Out View Post

Yeah, my only guess is its the TV if the soundbar handles it fine from the cable box.

Just seems odd that it would pass the stereo signal fine, but not down convert a surround signal to stereo and pass it. I thought EVERY tv would at least do that. I know most dont pass 5.1, but they should all pass stereo no matter what the source is I thought.
Agreed.
This is the fact for your tv. It will pass 2.0 ONLY through the optical port from an EXTERNAL source. You will get 5.1 through optical from an internal source (apps, browser, even usb).
post #9616 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3In2Out View Post

Yeah, my only guess is its the TV if the soundbar handles it fine from the cable box.

Just seems odd that it would pass the stereo signal fine, but not down convert a surround signal to stereo and pass it. I thought EVERY tv would at least do that. I know most dont pass 5.1, but they should all pass stereo no matter what the source is I thought.
The only exception may be PCM vs DD. Do you have a PCM/DD setting on your cable box?
post #9617 of 9972
If I was trying to get 5.1, then that I can see that being annoying...and obviously having to go a different route. But with me just wanting stereo, it seems odd that it doesnt pass it in stereo. Almost seems as if the TV is just blocking the DD source instead of down mixing it.

Ill have to check the cable box when I get home this afternoon. Maybe there is a PCM setting I can change it to and the TV would then pass stereo for all channels.

The soundbar has 2 optical inputs which are currently taken up by the cable box and BD player. Guess I could always get an optical switch for smart tv use to pass audio, cable box, BD player and Xbox. Was trying to trim down my wires too though.
post #9618 of 9972
If you have no,problems with the BD player and the tvs internal apps then its something to do with the cable box. Maybe you can get a different brand or model from your cable provider.
post #9619 of 9972
Can someone please confirm if the ST50 can display 4:4:4 chroma? If so what's the settings sweet spot to get this? Using my TV as a PC monitor and that would be great.
post #9620 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdsnapBryan View Post

Can someone please confirm if the ST50 can display 4:4:4 chroma? If so what's the settings sweet spot to get this? Using my TV as a PC monitor and that would be great.

You are headed for some serious IR/Burn in. You should consider an LCD if you're gonna be using this for a computer monitor.
post #9621 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

You are headed for some serious IR/Burn in. You should consider an LCD if you're gonna be using this for a computer monitor.
+1
post #9622 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

You are headed for some serious IR/Burn in. You should consider an LCD if you're gonna be using this for a computer monitor.

Not necessarily true, not all panels are prone to bad IR/BI. I use my GT50 as a Computer monitor and have never had any problems. Even left a wallpaper screen on for 3hrs and never got IR. but than again I'm not 100% sure about the St50 cause I don't own one but I don't see it being different. I also agree that some people experience more IR problems than others but it really is like a lottery, it's been confirmed.
post #9623 of 9972
I wouldnt recommend any plasma for a monitor. Its simply the wrong tool for the job. Theres a reason you will never find a purpose built monitor that is plasma. You dont see plasma displays on computers, phones and tablets, do you?
post #9624 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I wouldnt recommend any plasma for a monitor. Its simply the wrong tool for the job. Theres a reason you will never find a purpose built monitor that is plasma. You dont see plasma displays on computers, phones and tablets, do you?

It's not about recommending, he already has the tv and is asking if he can use it as a computer monitor as well. You certainly can, many people do without problems. Now if that is all he is going to use it for ( not many people buy a plasma to exclusively use it only as a computer monitor) than yeah I wouldn't recommend it either, you are better off with LCD.
post #9625 of 9972
Just drove home to meet the delivery guy and set up the ST50. Didn't get to do more than the initial setup and Netflix login, but WOW. Tested PC mouse on it for a few seconds. Input lag was the reason I didn't go with the ST60. It was noticeable, but I think once I set game mode it will be nearly, if not completely, unnoticeable.

Now to figure out how to have the built-in apps send audio to the receiver. I tried the ARC HDMI port but wasn't getting sound on the receiver even though the receiver seemed to be detecting the TV was sending audio.

Had to get back to work but I'm looking forward to getting home and playing with the settings smile.gif
post #9626 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

It's not about recommending, he already has the tv and is asking if he can use it as a computer monitor as well. You certainly can, many people do without problems. Now if that is all he is going to use it for ( not many people buy a plasma to exclusively use it only as a computer monitor) than yeah I wouldn't recommend it either, you are better off with LCD.
Agreed. So can it display 4:4:4 Chroma? I have no idea and that was his actual question. Maybe you can help him since you use yours as a monitor too.
post #9627 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

You are headed for some serious IR/Burn in. You should consider an LCD if you're gonna be using this for a computer monitor.
+1
+2 smile.gif

I never recommend constant checking for IR, but any heavy use as a computer monitor is different. I would check with solid screen colors on a regular basis until you are sure your set is like the sets owned by the folks who run a lot of desk top images and don't have a problem.

I tried using a 50' DLP as a monitor, and just didn't like it. There was no possibility of IR, but it was ineffective for me. I need a flat surface for a keyboard and mouse. eek.gif
Edited by htwaits - 8/7/13 at 4:05pm
post #9628 of 9972
Anyone having trouble with the SmartTv functions this evening? The home screen loads the Apps very slowly, and Netlix Error Code (E200A) comes up on the screen when I try to gain access to Netflix. Iif by chance I get around that, the Netflix emblem simply keeps trying to connect.

I've never encountered this problem in the past 4 months. All other wifi/Internet devices in the home are working just fine (including Netflix app on the iPad. )
post #9629 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderje View Post

Anyone having trouble with the SmartTv functions this evening? The home screen loads the Apps very slowly, and Netlix Error Code (E200A) comes up on the screen when I try to gain access to Netflix. Iif by chance I get around that, the Netflix emblem simply keeps trying to connect.

I've never encountered this problem in the past 4 months. All other wifi/Internet devices in the home are working just fine (including Netflix app on the iPad. )
I cant even get mine to load the apps for the home page.
post #9630 of 9972
When I run the connection test under "Network" it has no problem but when I hit "Internet" on the remote the home page apps wont load.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]