Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryDisplaystagged by System, 6/19/12
- brandPanasonictagged by System, 6/19/12
- productPanasonic VIERA TC-P50ST50 Plasma TVtagged by System, 12/14/12
- productPanasonic VIERA TC-P55ST50 55 Inch Plasma TVtagged by System, 12/14/12
- productPanasonic VIERA TC-P60ST50 60-Inch 1080p Full HD 3D Plasma TVtagged by System, 12/14/12
- productPanasonic VIERA TC-P65ST50 Plasma TVtagged by System, 6/19/12
- categoryPlasma HDTVtagged by System, 6/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread Last post on Today at 7:23 pm in Plasma Flat Panel Displays
- 50" ST60 per-order final price. Last post on 2/14/13 at 7:19am in Plasma Flat Panel Displays
- Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread Last post on 3/11/14 at 9:22pm in Plasma Flat Panel Displays
- Panasonic ST50 display settings change with Netflix Last post on 11/13/13 at 8:29am in Plasma Flat Panel Displays
- Picture lag on st50 series Last post on 8/26/13 at 7:07am in Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 324
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Man that really sucks. If you have home owners insurance is the way to do it I guess. Just look at the right side, you will have a new TV.
Ouch man! So sorry to hear that.
I have little people too.
Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to invest in a tv protector screen next time.
Just a suggestion.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
These would be somewhat older drives would that matter? Is there a certain speed the drive needs to be to interface correctly with TV, but then why would downloaded tv shows play just fine? The source material is HD 720 or 1080 material.
I am going to do more research into the different sources of which I obtain my material from (most of my movies that I play through the USB hub DO come from one source) but was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem.
Edited by rojimmy - 10/16/13 at 11:05pm
I have had some quirky things occur where devices would revert to USB 1.1 rather than 2.0 and suffer a corresponding decrease in performance.
You say you get the TV shows/movies from different places. What are the bitrates? TV shows may have a much lower bitrate. A quick, dirty, inaccurate way to find the bitrate is just filesize divided by video duration. I would expect the movies to play at a higher bitrate, which would explain why they would stutter but TV shows won't.
Your computer may be able to play the videos with less stuttering due to better handling of IO through USB, or simply using a larger buffer. Hard to say.
Do you have a high-speed memory card you can try the videos on?
I'd suggest trying to re-encode your movies in a format that you know your TV can handle without problems and see if they play any better. Software like HandBrake is perfect for these types of things. Or you could pump the movies through an external box (like a WDTV or similar) to see if that's better able to handle them.
All theses thoughts have certainly enlightened me a bit as to what the problem may be if not actually fixing it directly and I really appreciate the feedback. Most if not all of the movies I watch are in MPEG-4 movie format and the tv shows generally if not always .mkv. So the tv shows seem to play just fine every-time and the movies are the ones that stutter most of the time. I guess maybe I'll try to convert a movie or two to the .mkv format from MP4 and see what if anything is different.
More info here.
I also just got a 65ST50 and noticed that the 3D black levels are quite a bit worse than the 2D black levels. Even after calibration in Custom mode the 3D black levels don't approach the deep 2D blacks. At this point I guess this is the nature of the beast, but does anyone have any experience correcting this issue (other than "calibrate it;" been there, done that). If the set can deliver such impressive 2D black levels, I'm surprised that the 3D levels aren't just as good -- it seems like the potential is definitely there.
I've had my 55ST50 since May of 2012 as my living room display and boy is it nice. PQ still looks amazing (I haven't even had it ISF calibrated, just used DNice's settings) and I swear that it has actually gotten better with age. Use it to watch HD cable, my Roku 3, an AppleTV3 and an OPPO 83 blu-ray player. No problems at all with anything. I can only assume that many other ST50 owners have experienced the euphoria of great PQ.
I won't be replacing mine until OLED becomes more mainstream and affordable.
Still a great set with natural, life like picture qualities.
Same here. I have only had mine for about six weeks but I am still loving it. So glad my DLP died just before the Plasmas went away!
I am interested in upgrading my five year old Samsung 720p Plasma HDTV to this one, but I am confused if you can turn off this set's internal speakers. I am using the Denon AVR-X3000 receiver and 7.1 speakers for all of my audio and my video needs. I have read that you cannot turn off this model's speakers unless you only use Panasonic's home theater system. Someone called Panasonic's customer service about this issue, and he/she was told that they have to mute the TV speakers in order to use home theater speakers. Is this true?
I think that's annoying feature since most other TV manufacturers allow you to turn off their HDTV internal speakers when connected to a home theater receiver. Is there another way to do what I want or should I look for another TV?
- Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread 38 seconds ago
- › Which of these 15" Pro-Audio Woofers do You Like Best? 1 minute ago
- › Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 minutes ago
- › POPCORN HOUR A-400 is coming soon 2 minutes ago
- › Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Gentle Giant 4 minutes ago
- › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts 4 minutes ago
- › Official Sharp 60LE650U/70LE650U/80 Owner's Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Sony HTCT260 Sound Bar Home Theater System by playback007
- › Mama [Blu-ray] by barelyderr251
- › The Proposal (+ Digital Copy) [Blu-ray] by barelyderr251
- › Klipsch RF-7 II Reference Series Flagship Floorstanding Speaker... by aromeo
- › Grand Theft Auto V by njskaguy33
- › VIZIO E400i-B2 40 Inch Smart LED HDTV by mckenna797
- › Panasonic VIERA TC-P55GT50 55 Inch Plasma TV by cheong8898
- › Panasonic DMPBDT230 Wi-Fi Blu-Ray Player by osmpony
- › Pioneer Channel AV Receiver VSX-1023-K by Hut23
- › Logitech 915-000194 Harmony Smart Control by scottsh
- › Academy Award Winners & Nominees on Blu-ray by skehoe
- › Game Console Review Contest by Scott Wilkinson
- › Best Blu-rays for Your Valentine's Day... by skehoe
- › Vizio and Sony Impress, Curved Screens... by Scott Wilkinson
- › AVS Buying Guide Central by skehoe
- › Soundbar Review Contest by SocialCapital
- › AVS Forum's Top 9 LCD TVs by Scott Wilkinson
- › AVS Forum's Top 10 Powered Soundbars by skehoe
- › AVS Forum's Top 8 Low-Cost... by skehoe
- › AVS Forum's Top 6 Streaming Media Players by skehoe