or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › HD Radio › HD reception and distance from source......
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD reception and distance from source......

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Live in KC area. About 25-30 miles from closest HD radio station.
My setup is in the BASEMENT.

Any chance if I spend a few bucks and NOT put up a roof antenna that I can pull in any HD stations ?

What you think ?
Thanks............
post #2 of 7
I can get most HD stations in my car as far away as St Joseph and these transmit from towers in SE KC. May have trouble though if your antenna is below ground level.
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler62 View Post

I can get most HD stations in my car as far away as St Joseph and these transmit from towers in SE KC. May have trouble though if your antenna is below ground level.

Yes FM is shady at best in my basement. About to add a car HD Radio. You picking up quite a few stations and are there any in St. Joe area ?? Grew up real close to there...................
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post

Yes FM is shady at best in my basement. About to add a car HD Radio. You picking up quite a few stations and are there any in St. Joe area ?? Grew up real close to there...................

No stations in St Joe. I think now almost all the stations in KC are on higher power because I used to lose the signals 10 miles south of St Joe. Do you have anyway to put an antenna higher? I ran a 50 ohm cable from my attic to my basement when the house was built thinking I would use it in the future for Ham Radio. I use that for a TV-FM antenna now in the attic, doesn't match perfect, but works good enough.
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler62 View Post

No stations in St Joe. I think now almost all the stations in KC are on higher power because I used to lose the signals 10 miles south of St Joe. Do you have anyway to put an antenna higher? I ran a 50 ohm cable from my attic to my basement when the house was built thinking I would use it in the future for Ham Radio. I use that for a TV-FM antenna now in the attic, doesn't match perfect, but works good enough.

How many stations you getting at home ?
Don't know how much trouble I am willing to go through for this. In my house
I get satellite radio through Dish network. Just about to add a new head unit to my truck
and went ahead and got a hd tuner built in it. Not enough space in the S-10 for the two
extra boxes to add on Sirius satellite to the truck and I DON'T LIKE HAVING TO RUN
the antenna wire to the exterior so HD Radio will have to do for the truck. Console already has amps
and etc from my stereo setup so really nowhere to put the sat stuff. I do record
Sirius on cds to listen to also. Altho my wife's van has Sat radio built in and I love it...it
just doesn't fit in the small S-10 .BaSEMENT HAS SAT radio and so I am unwilling to bust into walls
to run a attic antenna for HD..................if I can pick up a few channels with a cheap dipole FM antenna
then I will buy the HD receiver......if not probably pass.
Smithville....prob 30 miles from downtown and basement on top of that.
Get a few FM channels...think any HD channels will come through ?

Thanks............
post #6 of 7
I am in Platte City and can get all the stations in a walkout basement using the wire antenna supplied with an ILUV 68 radio. Smithville should be fine as long as you are not at a really low elevation. You may want to purchase an audio tuner and give it a try, you can always return it if it doesn't work.
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler62 View Post

I am in Platte City and can get all the stations in a walkout basement using the wire antenna supplied with an ILUV 68 radio. Smithville should be fine as long as you are not at a really low elevation. You may want to purchase an audio tuner and give it a try, you can always return it if it doesn't work.

I would do that but haven't been able to find one at BB or NFM..............Ebay I would be stuck with it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD Radio
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › HD Radio › HD reception and distance from source......