or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Home Automation › Sending RS 232 Commands
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sending RS 232 Commands

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hello,
I have a viewsonic pjd5111 with an rs232 port on it. I have it mounted up on a ceiling and the IR remote is cheap and does not always work. I ran an rs 232 cable up when I mounted it just in case. Now I would like to use it, the only problem is I don't have any experience with sending the commands to the projector over RS 232. I have the list of commands, I just don't understand how to actually send them to the projector from the computer. Any help would be much appreciated!
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattracer92 View Post

Hello,
I have a viewsonic pjd5111 with an rs232 port on it. I have it mounted up on a ceiling and the IR remote is cheap and does not always work. I ran an rs 232 cable up when I mounted it just in case. Now I would like to use it, the only problem is I don't have any experience with sending the commands to the projector over RS 232. I have the list of commands, I just don't understand how to actually send them to the projector from the computer. Any help would be much appreciated!

Unfortunately sending commands straight from a pc won't be very elegant. Your options are using something like hyper terminal to send the commands, or do something like writing batch files. Or who knows, maybe there is an inexpensive automation software you can use. My experience is with automation controllers like AMX,/Crestron.
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsquared View Post

Unfortunately sending commands straight from a pc won't be very elegant. Your options are using something like hyper terminal to send the commands, or do something like writing batch files. Or who knows, maybe there is an inexpensive automation software you can use. My experience is with automation controllers like AMX,/Crestron.

Yes I have tried using hyper terminal but I am not sure how to enter the commands. I believe that I have everything setup properly its just that the projector doesn't do anything when I enter the command. If the command Viewsonic gives is "0x06 0x14 0x00 0x03 0x00 0x34 0x11 0x00 0x5C" then is that EXACTLY what I type in to hyper terminal or should it be something else?
post #4 of 12
No, that's a text dump of the commands values in hexadecimal. It's a binary protocol and you couldn't do it via Hyperterminal really. You might learn some useful stuff from this document I wrote up about control protocol design. The first sections are high level views of the kind of things you need to understand such as the difference between text and binary protocol:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1370544
post #5 of 12
Read through remotecentral.com 232 threads for a couple dozen hours.

You'll need a controller that can send rs232 commands, or a PC.

You should try an RF remote first, much less effort to figure out. IR is OK, if done correctly. The RF remote sends RF commands to a controller, which then sends IR to the components.
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
So basically, there is not a fairly simple way to control a projector using a computer via rs232? Bummer. Thanks anyways guys!
post #7 of 12
You may find some simple utility out there that will take a list of binary values on a command line and send them to a given serial port or something.
post #8 of 12
Get an RTI remote and they have a small processor receiver with serial and IR. You can control equipment and control via 1 way rs-232 the projector. It's not DIY though, you will need an RTI dealer as they are not sold otherwise
post #9 of 12
iRule and an iTach is another option to the RTI and it's DIY
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattracer92 View Post

So basically, there is not a fairly simple way to control a projector using a computer via rs232? Bummer. Thanks anyways guys!

Yes, there is a way.

Why would you want to use a PC?
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post


Yes, there is a way.

Why would you want to use a PC?

X2.... This is a very simple and common situation. I'm not sure spending hours bombarding yourself with hyper terminal and protocols and depending on a computer just to be able to turn on a projector in a way more convenient than using factory remote and aiming it up makes sense. For me, I have to provide my clients reliable control, and RTI is one of my preferences. However like mentioned earlier you can get the rs232 itach and use irule or a similar app too. You don't need a 40ft donzi to float down a river, a canoe works just fine.
post #12 of 12
you can buy a USB to 9pin cable and download a software named : docklight to control you projector using PC.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Automation
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Home Automation › Sending RS 232 Commands