or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › JTR 12HT vs Yorkville U215
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JTR 12HT vs Yorkville U215

post #1 of 78
Thread Starter 
im sticking with diy subs and amps... i just dont have the patience or the time to build a high efficient mtm/monitor. that being said, i have come down to 2 speakers. the jtr's or the york's. my room is fairly large... like 24 X 38. i like it loud but i want good dynamics and sound quality. out of the two monitors... what do you consider to be better for lets say... 60% music, 40% ht? i'm taking a pretty good consideration for the some high powered 4 ch. clone amps to power these. i listen to mostly metal and for movies im into stuff like lord of the rings and war battle stuff. like the almost new rambo. i want high spl with good clairty. for subs i have a dts-10. listed below is the monitors im considering.

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/triple-12ht/

http://www.yorkville.com/products.as...&cat=38&id=268
post #2 of 78
The Unitys, no question.

You have the same link twice.
post #3 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

The Unitys, no question.

You have the same link twice.

my bad... fixed


soo... i've heard alot of good stuff about both monitors. what makes the unity's better? wish i could listen to a pair. is it because they play louder and dig down a little deeper? i know danely had something to do with the design.

another concern of mine is a center ch. to match these super high efficient monitors. any suggestions? maybe a cbt center? i dont want to use another york monitor for my center.
post #4 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mph33 View Post

soo... i've heard alot of good stuff about both monitors. what makes the unity's better? wish i could listen to a pair. is it because they play louder and dig down a little deeper? i know danely had something to do with the design.

Controlled directivity down probably 2 octaves lower than the coaxes and a point source that's much better than any conventional coax I've ever heard*, and I've had a few including a number of Tannoys in original and modified form.

I am biassed on two counts: I nearly bought a set of the Yorkvilles a while back and had them imported, and I lucked onto a set of Lambda Unitys not long after.

* Not heard the JTRs myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph33 View Post

another concern of mine is a center ch. to match these super high efficient monitors. any suggestions? maybe a cbt center? i dont want to use another york monitor for my center.

Do you need a centre? A U15 would do as a compliment.
Unless you have the need for a really wide seating area, I'd go phantom unless I could get something at least close to what I had for L/R. I certainly wouldn't use something radically different in design, polar and distortion response etc.
post #5 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post


Do you need a centre? A U15 would do as a compliment.
Unless you have the need for a really wide seating area, I'd go phantom unless I could get something at least close to what I had for L/R. I certainly wouldn't use something radically different in design, polar and distortion response etc.


how do you achieve phantom center ch.? mini dsp... or all new receivers have this option?
post #6 of 78
I haven't heard the JTRs but I have heard the big Tannoy coaxials. I run the U215s as my mains. I haven't been able to compare side by side but the Yorkvilles do everything right and are a pretty amazing mains speaker. It's the one pro speaker that my DIY buddies truly enjoy.

Danley obviously came up with the original design but the Yorkville designers made it their own with some nice refinements.

All of what A9X wrote as well I don't need a centre channel but if I did a U15 would be an excellent choice. Phantom channel from the receiver settings.
post #7 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mph33 View Post

how do you achieve phantom center ch.? mini dsp... or all new receivers have this option?

In AVR set up page, turn C channel off and the centre content will be mixed to L and R.
post #8 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antripodean View Post

I haven't heard the JTRs but I have heard the big Tannoy coaxials. I run the U215s as my mains. I haven't been able to compare side by side but the Yorkvilles do everything right and are a pretty amazing mains speaker. It's the one pro speaker that my DIY buddies truly enjoy.

Danley obviously came up with the original design but the Yorkville designers made it their own with some nice refinements.

All of what A9X wrote as well I don't need a centre channel but if I did a U15 would be an excellent choice. Phantom channel from the receiver settings.


overall, your satisfied with the york's sound quality for music and ht? im trying to meet a happy medium here. spl and sound quality. i want to hear sold chest thumping kick-drum, feel from the floor all the way up to the ceiling drop-tune guitar riffs. what i dont want: millions of cymbal crashes making your ears bleed out the side of your head from tingy metalic tweeters. nothing worse that hearing cymbals mush together... sounding like a brass frying pan lid thrown in a dryer.

i want these monitors to rock doing this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc98u-eGzlc


and... be smooth enough to represent this...(i dont expect perfection from a p.a. monitor fyi)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZD9nt_wsY0
post #9 of 78
Same link disease.
post #10 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

Same link disease.

DAMN OLD COMPUTER!!!!

FIXED....


THANX


DAMN CAP LOCKS!!!! lol
post #11 of 78
What the hell was that noise on that you tube vid. Someone has issues me thinks. LOL.
post #12 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gperkins1973 View Post

What the hell was that noise on that you tube vid. Someone has issues me thinks. LOL.

lol... maybe this will help you sleep



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OOiJ...eature=related
post #13 of 78
Wow, dude do you belong to some wierd satanic cult. LOL
post #14 of 78
No probs playing mathcore, classical, industrial or even pop music on the Yorkvilles. I am partial to The Dillinger Escape Plan, Sepultura, Napalm Death, Discordance Axis as well as Meshuggah. I just add more bass and sub drivers on the low end to get the "energy in the room" so to speak. You need to do that with any mains if you are listening to this sort of music and want it for HT.
post #15 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gperkins1973 View Post

Wow, dude do you belong to some wierd satanic cult. LOL


Beelzebub, your dark lord... loves you
post #16 of 78
If the unity's are so great why don't we see more of them from other makes? What makes them have dispersion control to a lower frequency than a similar sized horn?
post #17 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

Controlled directivity down probably 2 octaves lower than the coaxes and a point source that's much better than any conventional coax I've ever heard*, and I've had a few including a number of Tannoys in original and modified form.

I am biassed on two counts: I nearly bought a set of the Yorkvilles a while back and had them imported, and I lucked onto a set of Lambda Unitys not long after.

* Not heard the JTRs myself.

How can you say "The Unitys, no question" when you haven't even heard the JTR's?
post #18 of 78
Thread Starter 
who in here has actually listened to both the unity's and the jtr's? i like the fact that unity's can be biamped and that they have a lower frequency response.
post #19 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL86 View Post

If the unity's are so great why don't we see more of them from other makes? What makes them have dispersion control to a lower frequency than a similar sized horn?

Because they are patented and few companies will purchase a licence to someone else's stuff. Not invented here syndrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

How can you say "The Unitys, no question" when you haven't even heard the JTR's?

Because I have heard the Unitys and many, many coaxes, and I've never had any coax even come close. There is nothing about the JTRs that I have seen that would elevate them that far above any of the others I have used/heard.
post #20 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

Because they are patented and few companies will purchase a licence to someone else's stuff. Not invented here syndrome.

Because I have heard the Unitys and many, many coaxes, and I've never had any coax even come close. There is nothing about the JTRs that I have seen that would elevate them that far above any of the others I have used/heard.

whats the average break in time for the unity's and... can they be sound decend sub-less?
post #21 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

Because they are patented and few companies will purchase a licence to someone else's stuff. Not invented here syndrome.

Because I have heard the Unitys and many, many coaxes, and I've never had any coax even come close. There is nothing about the JTRs that I have seen that would elevate them that far above any of the others I have used/heard.

Common dude, you could have just said you really like the unitys and left it at that. Instead you are telling someone who doesn't have experience with either, that one is the best choice when you've never heard the JTR's. Experience or not with CD's, you've still never heard both.
post #22 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Common dude, you could have just said you really like the unitys and left it at that. Instead you are telling someone who doesn't have experience with either, that one is the best choice when you've never heard the JTR's. Experience or not with CD's, you've still never heard both.

I have made it very clear in more than one post that I have had enough experience with both technologies that I find one to be much better and have yet to see why a generic 12" coax from one company will be vastly different to others I have heard/used. I have made by bias and experience clear; people will make their purchases based upon their own decisions.

I really doubt there is anyone who has heard both in a comparable setting.
post #23 of 78
A9X do you wish it was wider than 60deg in the horizontal?? Now i want some U215s instead of a SEOS build... but the unitys cant have much toe in thus limiting the sweet spot, no?

edit: i guess the danley synergys people use are pretty narrow as well, must not be that big of an issue
post #24 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

edit: i guess the danley synergys people use are pretty narrow as well, must not be that big of an issue

It's not an issue unless you are listening near field, less than 2 m. These dont have a tiny sweet spot like multiple horns or ribbons. I toe mine in 30 degrees and have them along each wall with listening at ~3m. You can toe them in more if you want, even Danley suggests this.

MPH33 - they sound way more than decent without a sub. They are a full range speaker but I just like more bass. They have are not flat at 40 Hz, having a peak there due to big drivers in a cab that's a little small. It's not a problem in listening.
post #25 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

A9X do you wish it was wider than 60deg in the horizontal?? Now i want some U215s instead of a SEOS build... but the unitys cant have much toe in thus limiting the sweet spot, no?

edit: i guess the danley synergys people use are pretty narrow as well, must not be that big of an issue

No need for it to be wider. I've also heard William Cowan's a couple of years ago, and the evenness and stability of the image, over a very large area is the best I have heard. Personally I have the interest in a 2 seat wide max listening space.
post #26 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL86 View Post

If the unity's are so great why don't we see more of them from other makes? What makes them have dispersion control to a lower frequency than a similar sized horn?

There is nothing that allows them to have pattern control lower than a similar sized horn OF THE SAME PATTERN. Different patterns on the same size horn will have different low freq control.

The thing that makes the Unity (and now the Synergy) kinda special is the fact that the mids and the highs are on the same horn-and the mids are carrying the low part of that freq band. Because they have the same "acoustic source" there is no combfiltering as you move around in the coverage pattern-as there would be is the HF and mid range were seperated.

If you were to run a HF horn down that low-the power capacity would be greatly limited and the sound quality would often be quite "limited".
post #27 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver View Post

There is nothing that allows them to have pattern control lower than a similar sized horn OF THE SAME PATTERN. Different patterns on the same size horn will have different low freq control.

The thing that makes the Unity (and now the Synergy) kinda special is the fact that the mids and the highs are on the same horn-and the mids are carrying the low part of that freq band. Because they have the same "acoustic source" there is no combfiltering as you move around in the coverage pattern-as there would be is the HF and mid range were seperated.

If you were to run a HF horn down that low-the power capacity would be greatly limited and the sound quality would often be quite "limited".

So the key is phase coherence throughout the mid band all the way down to the lower mid range/upper bass region. How would the unity compare to say a BMS 4595ND coaxial CD?
post #28 of 78
Jeff at JTR will make the T12's biampable when you call to order. He has had this option for a while. I love my triple 12's in all kinds of music. Ive had others come over who have agreed that they are more musical than some of the other horns they have heard. Both making that call have klipschorns and lascalas. They are very smooth and metal is my main listening genre. Im currently running a triple8 for center and this setup works out quite well. I havent had the chance to listen to the unities, or any similar types to them, but I sure would love to. as far as mains go, the triple12's are by far the best ive ever heard, but my experience is limited as far as pro-audio type cabs go. They beat the pants off consumer-type everyday of the week if you want concert loudness with lots of efficiency
post #29 of 78
Just took a closer look at the Yorkville's, definitely an intriguing design.
post #30 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Jeff at JTR will make the T12's biampable when you call to order. He has had this option for a while. I love my triple 12's in all kinds of music. Ive had others come over who have agreed that they are more musical than some of the other horns they have heard. Both making that call have klipschorns and lascalas. They are very smooth and metal is my main listening genre. Im currently running a triple8 for center and this setup works out quite well. I havent had the chance to listen to the unities, or any similar types to them, but I sure would love to. as far as mains go, the triple12's are by far the best ive ever heard, but my experience is limited as far as pro-audio type cabs go. They beat the pants off consumer-type everyday of the week if you want concert loudness with lots of efficiency

I'd have to agree with the above. As I have the T8s and believe they are the best sounding (all around) speaker I have experienced. And, some say the T8s "may" be a tad better for music than the 12s. There is just something special about these speakers and its hard to explain. They truly allow you to hear the content as it was recorded. I have only klispch horns to compare and quite a few different Paradigm models. There is no comparison with any Paradigm model just because I like high spl but when compared to horns they still take the cake for me. Very much worth listening to if you can figure out a way.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › JTR 12HT vs Yorkville U215