or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Soundbars › Samsung HW-E450 Soundbar
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung HW-E450 Soundbar - Page 5

post #121 of 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by casilversurfr View Post

1. Does this support 3D video pass-through?
Documentation/Specs I found don't mention this.
The reason why I ask this question is I'm trying to decide what is the best way to connect the following devices to provide me with the Dolby Digital/DTS audio for those devices/codecs that support it as well as 3D for video. On another note given that Dolby Digital and DTS Audio provide 5.1 channel sound and this SoundBar only provides 2.1 channel sound am I really able to take advantage of what Dolby Digital and DTS Audio offer with only a 2.1 channel system?
Samsung Soundbar (HW-E450C) -- referred to as Soundbar below
Samsung TV (UN40ES6580) -- referred to as TV below
Samsung 3D Blu-Ray Player (BD-EM59C) -- reverred to as DVDPlayer below
Comcast HD DVR -- reverred to as CableBox below
I've seen various threads on various sites referencing the following info, but I thought I would put it all in one place and let the experts decide which is best. I also sent this info to Samsung's support and will let you know what they reply. Thanks for your attention to this matter. If I'm missing another scenario please let me know. Please provide your experience with the following connection configurations.
Various connection options:
A) If the SoundBar supports 3D video pass-through then I believe these are my options for best audio and 3D. Is there a preference for one over the other?
1a) Connect HDMI OUT from DVDPlayer to HDMI IN on the Soundbar
1b) Connect HDMI OUT from Soundbar to HDMI IN/ARC on TV
1c) Connect DIGITAL IN from Soundbar to DIGITAL OUT on TV for the purpose of having the Soundbar automatically turn on when the TV is turned on
1d) Connect HDMI OUT from Soundbar to HDMI IN/ARC on TV (AnyNet+) in order to control SoundBar's volume from Logitech Harmony 550 remote
2a) Connect HDMI OUT from DVDPlayer and CableBox to HDMI IN on HDMI Switch (which I don't currently have)
2b) Connect HDMI OUT from HDMI Switch to HDMI IN on Soundbar
2c) Connect DIGITAL IN from Soundbar to DIGITAL OUT on TV for the purpose of having the Soundbar automatically turn on when the TV is turned on
2d) Connect HDMI OUT from Soundbar to HDMI IN/ARC on TV (AnyNet+) in order to control SoundBar's volume from Logitech Harmony 550 remote
b) If the SoundBar does not support 3D video pass-through then I believe the following is my best option for best audio and still allowing for 3D
1a) Connect HDMI OUT from DVDPlayer and CableBox to HDMI IN connections on TV
1b) Connect DIGITAL IN from Soundbar to DIGITAL OUT on TV for the purpose of having the Soundbar automatically turn on when the TV is turned on
1c) Connect HDMI OUT from CablebBox to HDMI IN on TV
1d) Connect HDMI OUT from Soundbar to HDMI IN/ARC on TV (AnyNet+) in order to control SoundBar's volume from Logitech Harmony 550 remote


Reply and update to my previous post 103. Forget about Anynet when it comes to controlling volume and power/off on on the Soundbar. Get a universal remote like my Logitech Harmony 550 and it flawlessly controls all functions on the sound bar with only one remote that controls all my products.

In terms of connections/audio/3D video-pass through I emailed Samsung Support and they responded and then I sent the following email because their respons does not make sense based on my experience and also contradicts their product sheet

I was told by your support team that the HW-E450C Soundbar, which is not in your list of product on this support site, doesn't support 3D video-pass through. If that is the case then how do you explain that my 3D Samsung Smart TV displayed 3D BD when the BD HDMI was connected to the HDMI IN on the Soundbar and the HDMI OUT from the Soundbar connects to HDMI IN on the TV?

In addition to this I was told it doesn't support Dolby Digital/DTS Audio because it is a 2.1 system and not a 5.1 system. If that is true then why on the product sheet does it show that both Dolby Digital and DTS audio is supported?

Regards,
Ryan Kawecki
post #122 of 729
Was thinking of getting this, but looks it's no longer listed at Costco! :/ They just have the HW-E350 now (integrated sub)
post #123 of 729
Hi guys, I was wondering if you could help me. My grandparents will be getting this soundbar to go with their new Samsung UE40ES7000 on Wednesday and I was wondering if you could tell me the best way to set it up and what cables I will need to buy.

Along with the TV they already have a Sky+ HD box as well as a Samsung Blu Ray player (don't know the model number off hand, apologies). They will want the TV as well as the other two devices to all output sound through the soundbar. Is this possible? And if so what is the best set up to go with? I have seen a couple of debates about whether it is better to go with the optical cable or HDMI cable approach.

My understanding is that they will need to connect the BR player and Sky box to the TV via HDMI; and then connect the Soundbar to the TV via HDMI as well (in the correct ARC port). Will this then allow all three devices to output sound via the soundbar?

Sorry if that isn't written very well. Hopefully you understand what I'm trying to get at. I've never set up a sound system before so this is all pretty new to me.

Hope you guys can help. Cheers!
post #124 of 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolRuss View Post

My understanding is that they will need to connect the BR player and Sky box to the TV via HDMI; and then connect the Soundbar to the TV via HDMI as well (in the correct ARC port). Will this then allow all three devices to output sound via the soundbar?

It should. You'll probably need to make a setting change on the TV to direct audio out to "external". If you run into any problems, let us know and we'll try to help.
post #125 of 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

It should. You'll probably need to make a setting change on the TV to direct audio out to "external". If you run into any problems, let us know and we'll try to help.
Just wanted to say that I set this up today with zero problems what so ever. Thank you for your help!
post #126 of 729
I just got a new tv and soundbar I have a Samsung h450 and an insignia 50 inch both have arc hdmi connections. My dvr'd is on the other side of the room and I ran a new hdmi under the floor to connect to tv. So how do I connect the saber to tv without connect to dvr' but get the sound to work from dvr'd through tv the arc?
post #127 of 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan9960 View Post

I just got a new tv and soundbar I have a Samsung h450 and an insignia 50 inch both have arc hdmi connections. My dvr'd is on the other side of the room and I ran a new hdmi under the floor to connect to tv. So how do I connect the saber to tv without connect to dvr' but get the sound to work from dvr'd through tv the arc?

Connect an HDMI cable from the soundbar's HDMI (ARC) output to your TV's HDMI (ARC) input. You can leave the dvr connected to the TV as you have it, or you can change it to connect directly to the soundbar's HDMI input.
post #128 of 729
Hi PossumGirl
I was just searching the site for help in setting up my new soundbar and came across this thread which seems to answer my question, but could you just clarify a few things for me please?

I'm trying to find the best way to connect my kit,
a Samsung 46 UE ES8000
a Samsung HW - E450 soundbar
a Samsung Blu Ray player with anynet+
and
a Sky satellite receiver

Before I had the soundbar I just had the sky box and the blue ray running to the TV via separate HDMI cables (along with xbox on hdmi and wii on component). Now I'd like to use the soundbar for at least the TV and for the blu ray, and also the sky box if thats posible?

Your post here seems to suggest that I should use the ARC HDMI port on the TV to connect to the HDMI port on the soundbar. Is that right and will that allow me to get sound from the soundbar when watching the satellite signal on the TV?

If not, how would you suggest I connect the sky satellite box to connect to the soundbar?

You also suggest using the HDMI port on the blu ray to connect directly to the sondbar - Is that right, and will that allow me to get the sound from the soundbar AND the picture on the TV (because of the first connection between the TV and soundbar) or do I also need to run an optical cable from the blue ray to the TV at the same time to get the image?

Do I even need the tv to connect to the soundbar if it takes a feed from both the sky box and the blu ray directly? Sorry for what may be some really simple questions but I want to make sure I get the best set up possible and am not 100% sure on what can be done.

Thanks for your help.
post #129 of 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb7 View Post

Hi PossumGirl
I was just searching the site for help in setting up my new soundbar and came across this thread which seems to answer my question, but could you just clarify a few things for me please?
I'm trying to find the best way to connect my kit,
a Samsung 46 UE ES8000
a Samsung HW - E450 soundbar
a Samsung Blu Ray player with anynet+
and
a Sky satellite receiver
Before I had the soundbar I just had the sky box and the blue ray running to the TV via separate HDMI cables (along with xbox on hdmi and wii on component). Now I'd like to use the soundbar for at least the TV and for the blu ray, and also the sky box if thats posible?
Your post here seems to suggest that I should use the ARC HDMI port on the TV to connect to the HDMI port on the soundbar. Is that right and will that allow me to get sound from the soundbar when watching the satellite signal on the TV?
If not, how would you suggest I connect the sky satellite box to connect to the soundbar?
Yes, using HDMI between the ARC ports on the TV and the soundbar will send audio TO the soundbar from anything connected to the TV (Sky box, Xbox, Wii). Be sure you have Anynet+ enabled and you probably need to change an audio setting on the TV to direct audio to "external" instead of TV speakers.
Quote:
You also suggest using the HDMI port on the blu ray to connect directly to the sondbar - Is that right, and will that allow me to get the sound from the soundbar AND the picture on the TV (because of the first connection between the TV and soundbar) or do I also need to run an optical cable from the blue ray to the TV at the same time to get the image?
The HDMI connection between soundbar and TV will send video to the TV and the audio will be processed by the soundbar. Optical cables are audio only, not video. You won't need one.
Quote:
Do I even need the tv to connect to the soundbar if it takes a feed from both the sky box and the blu ray directly? Sorry for what may be some really simple questions but I want to make sure I get the best set up possible and am not 100% sure on what can be done.
Thanks for your help.
You need the HDMI between TV and bar because anything connected to theTV has to send audio OUT and whatever source device is connected to the bar has to send video TO the TV. This should all work just fine, but if you have any issues with ARC not working as it should, you can run an optical cable from TV to bar in addition to the HDMI connection. I doubt that will happen though. smile.gif
post #130 of 729
In the market to get the HW-E450. Before pulling the trigger, i want to make sure i can hook everything up. I have a Sony EX500 TV and HDMI 1 supports ARC. Basically have a DVR, PS3, Xbox 360. The TV doesn't have HDMI outs. In order to use ARC i would hook each device to HDMI IN 2-4 and run an HDMI cable from HDMI 1 IN (ARC Port) from the TV to the HDMI IN on the sound bar. Everything should have sound right??? I'm used to a full receiver and this is my first move into soundbars. Want to use this in the bedroom where space is limited. Thank you all for your help!!!

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Sony CT-150 soundbar? It has multiple HDMI's IN but i'm not sure which one soundbar sounds better. Thanks again!
post #131 of 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by entermymatrix View Post

In the market to get the HW-E450. Before pulling the trigger, i want to make sure i can hook everything up. I have a Sony EX500 TV and HDMI 1 supports ARC. Basically have a DVR, PS3, Xbox 360. The TV doesn't have HDMI outs. In order to use ARC i would hook each device to HDMI IN 2-4 and run an HDMI cable from HDMI 1 IN (ARC Port) from the TV to the HDMI IN on the sound bar. Everything should have sound right??? I'm used to a full receiver and this is my first move into soundbars. Want to use this in the bedroom where space is limited. Thank you all for your help!!!
I think you have HDMI ins & outs mixed up. eek.gif TVs do not have HDMI outs, only ins for connecting source devices; however, an HDMI(ARC) port does function as an audio out when connected to an external audio system that also supports ARC. You would connect a high-speed HDMI cable between your TV's ARC port and the HDMI(ARC) out port on the soundbar. If you want, you could connect one of your source devices, probably the PS3, directly to the soundbar's HDMI "in" port rather than having the PS3 connected to the TV. Your choice.
post #132 of 729
I thought the arc support would act as a pass through from all devices hooked Into the TV to send sound to the bar. Am I wrong in assuming that? So basically in what I described I could only hook up two of my devices for sound to this bar?
post #133 of 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by entermymatrix View Post

I thought the arc support would act as a pass through from all devices hooked Into the TV to send sound to the bar. Am I wrong in assuming that? So basically in what I described I could only hook up two of my devices for sound to this bar?

I must have explained something poorly; mea culpa. frown.gif Your understanding of ARC is correct. Audio from ALL source devices connected to the TV is sent via ARC to the external sound system. In your original post you said you'd connect to "HDMI IN on the soundbar". That part is not correct. You must connect to the HDMI OUT (ARC) port on the soundbar.

You can indeed leave all your source devices connected to the TV. But since the soundbar has an HDMI IN port, you could connect one source device to that port instead of to the TV. Again, sorry if I confused you.
post #134 of 729
AWESOME! Thank you for your help! Kinda backwards that an "in" connection on the TV hooked to an "out" connection in the bar would produce sound. Lol. I'm going to pick it up today. Thanks again!
post #135 of 729
Hi

Thanks for your help on this one. One more quick question - I've just noticed a thin purple strip down the right hand side of the picture on the TV. Do you know whats causing this and how to resolve? Or is its a fault with the tv do you think?

Thanks
A
post #136 of 729
post #137 of 729
Hi

90% of what a TV does is Speach based.
The Sony Bar is great, with music. (note the comments in the Blog !)
The Samsung is in my opinion far better at what most people do with a TV.
They listen to Speach based broadcasts rather than Music.

Just my personal opinion.

Alex
Edited by ParCan - 11/8/12 at 12:30pm
post #138 of 729
Guys any idea if I can sync this with a time warner cable remote so I can do everything with one remote? I bought a harmony remote and hate it because it responds slow and is buggy. If I could just sync this up with the volume buttons on my cable remote life would be PERFECT!
post #139 of 729
I cant answer your question chkelly but mine works fine with my harmony, no lag or any bugs. You might consider posting down in the remote section to see if the whiz kids down there can help you out because I'm thinking you may have some kind of issue with how you set up the harmony.
post #140 of 729
I am looking to purchase the Samsung E450 and a new Samsung BlueRay DVD player. I have a 2 year old Samsung LCD w/ 4 HDMI ports but none of them have ARC on them. So would my hook up have to be as follows HDMI between BlueRay (out) player and Soundbar (in) and an optical between TV (out) and soundbar (in). Is this correct? hopefully this makes sense. smile.gif Thank you!
post #141 of 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by nala6820 View Post

I am looking to purchase the Samsung E450 and a new Samsung BlueRay DVD player. I have a 2 year old Samsung LCD w/ 4 HDMI ports but none of them have ARC on them. So would my hook up have to be as follows HDMI between BlueRay (out) player and Soundbar (in) and an optical between TV (out) and soundbar (in). Is this correct? hopefully this makes sense. smile.gif Thank you!

Correct, but you also need HDMI from soundbar (out) to TV (in).
post #142 of 729
I'm running an HDMI switching to this soundbar then running the output to my TV. I'm experiencing an annoying little bug where the sound will cut out for just a second, at completely random times. It's not from switching signals, as it will happen while watching a movie from my ps3. Has anyone else experienced this?
post #143 of 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Correct, but you also need HDMI from soundbar (out) to TV (in).

I am looking into doing pretty much the same thing with a few other goodies on top. As it stands, I have an HD DVR, Samsung Blu-Ray player, and XBox 360 Kinect connected to my TV via HDMI. My TV does NOT support ARC. Based on what I am reading here, I want to do the following:

Connect HD DVR to TV via HDMI
Connect XBox 360 Kinect to TV via HDMI
Connect BluRay to SoundBar (in) via HDMI
Connect SoundBar (out) to TV via HDMI
Connect TV to SoundBar via optical

If correct, I was going to omit the bolded above and just run everything to the TV via HDMI and then run the optical from the TV to the SoundBar but, based on what I'm reading here, connecting the BluRay player directly to the SoundBar via HDMI will provide better sound quality when watching BluRay movies. Is this correct?

Sorry for the babble.
post #144 of 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

.... If correct, I was going to omit the bolded above and just run everything to the TV via HDMI and then run the optical from the TV to the SoundBar but, based on what I'm reading here, connecting the BluRay player directly to the SoundBar via HDMI will provide better sound quality when watching BluRay movies. Is this correct?
Sorry for the babble.
Correct and correct; however you may want to try connecting the BD player both ways to see if you hear differences, particularly with DTS audio. If you decide to leave the BD player connected to the TV, you won't need an HDMI cable between the soundbar and TV.
post #145 of 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Correct and correct; however you may want to try connecting the BD player both ways to see if you hear differences, particularly with DTS audio. If you decide to leave the BD player connected to the TV, you won't need an HDMI cable between the soundbar and TV.

Understood. Thanks. Before a few days ago, I didn't know what ARC was. I thought that since my TV didn't have it, I was SOL when it came to running HDMI to or from the soundbar from my TV. My wife is putting up a fight, especially because we are in an apartment, but I have a month to convince her before Santa comes.biggrin.gif
post #146 of 729
I bought the E450 today and hooked it up with the digital optical connection. However, I am getting no sound. I have changed the TV settings to external speakers. I have an Insignia 42" plasma. Anyone have suggestions?
post #147 of 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWWEATHER View Post

I bought the E450 today and hooked it up with the digital optical connection. However, I am getting no sound. I have changed the TV settings to external speakers. I have an Insignia 42" plasma. Anyone have suggestions?

This may sound dumb but I always start with simple possible solutions and then move to more complex options. Assuming that the TV, soundbar, and cable are all in working order, I would try making sure that the protective ends have been removed from the optical cable. I would also make sure that the optical cable is properly seated in both the TV and the soundbar. Next, I would make sure that I have the soundbar set to the proper setting. I believe that it is "D.IN" for an optical connection. If that doesn't work, I would read the manual for your specific TV. If you don't have it, there's a good chance that you can find it online. Different manufacturers sometimes have funky settings so I don't like assuming anything.

I apologize if this seems too simple but I always do it this way. You haven't given much information as to what you have already done besides changing the speaker setting in your TV. Good luck.
post #148 of 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWWEATHER View Post

I bought the E450 today and hooked it up with the digital optical connection. However, I am getting no sound. I have changed the TV settings to external speakers. I have an Insignia 42" plasma. Anyone have suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

This may sound dumb but I always start with simple possible solutions and then move to more complex options. Assuming that the TV, soundbar, and cable are all in working order, I would try making sure that the protective ends have been removed from the optical cable. I would also make sure that the optical cable is properly seated in both the TV and the soundbar. Next, I would make sure that I have the soundbar set to the proper setting. I believe that it is "D.IN" for an optical connection. If that doesn't work, I would read the manual for your specific TV. If you don't have it, there's a good chance that you can find it online. Different manufacturers sometimes have funky settings so I don't like assuming anything.
I apologize if this seems too simple but I always do it this way. You haven't given much information as to what you have already done besides changing the speaker setting in your TV. Good luck.


I have the same problem. I have no sound when connecting via optical [digital audio cable-Toslink] between the HW-E450 and my RCA 42" Plasma HDTV, model # 42pa30rq. I also have Charter cable connected by them via a component cable system .Both the manuals for the samsung soundbar and the tv are proving absolutely useless! I have tried all options in the above reply to no avail. The tv does not have an ARC HDMI port, so no help there. I am able to get the soundbar to work with the included audio cables, but that does not push sound from my connected to tv devices to to the soundbar, so it only works when watching tv. To add to this frustration, I now need to use 2 remotes every time I watch tv, one for volume and one for TV channels. Question one: is there any way to get the optical cable connection to work???? Question two: My motorola cable box does have an HDMI port that is not being used. Can I maybe connect the sound bar to the cable box without affecting the cable going to the tv through the component cables? Question three : If not, then how can I get the sound bar to work with my Toshiba Blu-ray and my Nintendo Wii [at least the blu-ray as that is a much higher priority for me then the wii]. I am getting so disgusted with this whole process that I am really considering just boxing this soundbar back up and returning it. Thanks in advance for any help with this!
post #149 of 729
Hi Possum Girl,
I am considering buying this sound bar from Best Buy, model HW-E450ZA, my concerns are like others, i want one remote to handle tv, dvr and sound bar,

I have a LG 3D tv, that has ARC support in HDMI 1, Direct HD-DVR and PS3 to hook up.

I am looking to use my Directv remote to control the TV and Soundbar. i have a separate ps3 remote to control blu-ray etc.

From what I read, I should be able to get this to work by

1) Connecting Directv receiver to hdmi arc in soundbar arc

2) turning arc option on TV.

is this correct? will the directv remote turn it off and control volume?

also, how do i integrate the ps3 into the sound bar?

any help would be appreciated?

It seems most soundbars have integration issues, really want to upgrade sound on tv, but it needs to be able to work with directv remote.
post #150 of 729
^^^
I can give you suggestions on connecting, but I don't know if HDMI-CTL works well between the Sammy bar and LG TVs. Based on all the posts in this thread and the many others about the 450, it seems this soundbar is somewhat finnicky about what equipment it wants to play nice with. smile.gif

Use a high-speed HDMI cable to connect the soundbar's HDMI (ARC) out port to the HDMI (ARC) in port on your TV. Connect one of your source devices (either the PS3 or the sat box) to the HDMI in port on the soundbar. Connect your other source device to an available HDMI port on the TV. Enable HDMI-CTL (CEC) on the TV. I think LG calls it SimpLink.

HDMI-CTL is the part that should allow you to control volume, mute & off with any remote that works with the TV.

ARC is the part that should output audio from anything connected to the TV to the soundbar.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Soundbars
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Soundbars › Samsung HW-E450 Soundbar