or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Which one to get??.Panasonic GT30 Vs Sammy D8000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which one to get??.Panasonic GT30 Vs Sammy D8000

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
Hi Guys,

I'm a soon to be a LCD/DLP to Plasma convert. I currently have a 47inch Toshiba DLP from 7 yrs ago and a 5yr old LCD. I'm definitely due for an upgrade!

I've been browsing these boards daily and have plasma reviews coming out my ears. I have narrowed it down to two, and been having sleepless nights weighing out one vs the other =)

Samsung 59D8000
&
Panasonic 55GT30

I saw both TVs side by side and noticed that Sammy had a slightly brighter picture and the colors seemed to POP more vs the Panny. I do not think the Panny had its optimum setting tweaked (was on THX mode, I bumped contrast and brightness up so whites matched the Samsung) Samsung looked like it had deeper (inky) blacks, but lost detail in the blacks/shadows. I also saw the ST30 and thought that the picture was too dim.

My 4 main concerns are:

1) Black Levels ("Inky" w good shadow detail)
2) Brightness (good daytime viewing, not expecting LED/LCD brightness)
3) Motion Processing (hate the judder of LCDs)
4) Build Quality/Reliability (will be keeping this one for 5-8yrs)

Out of the two, which one do you think fulfils those qualities better, it's currently a $500 price difference on Amazon?

Help me make a decision so I can sleep peacefully!!!!
post #2 of 35
I'd go with the D8000 personally, based on nothing more than size alone. It should also have a better picture.
post #3 of 35
The Sammy 8000 is the top-of-the-line while the Panny GT30 is the mid upper model behind the VT30. If you cn get a good deal on the 8000 go for it but the 7000 is no slacker and closer to the GT30.


CNet Panasonic GT30 Review.... http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...?tag=mncol;txt

CNet Samsung 7000 Review..... http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...topProds;prod2

FlatpanelsHD Panasonic GT30 Review.... http://flatpanelshd.com/review.php?s...&id=1300800238
post #4 of 35
Looking at your 4 concerns, it's really a toss up for you.

1) Black Levels ("Inky" w good shadow detail)
Shadow detail is probably better on the Pansonic.

2) Brightness (good daytime viewing, not expecting LED/LCD brightness)
Brightness is a Samsung win.

3) Motion Processing (hate the judder of LCDs)
Something you really have to decide yourself, could go either way depending whom you ask.

4) Build Quality/Reliability (will be keeping this one for 5-8yrs)
Probably about equal, though some may give Panasonic a slight nod, but Samsung seems to really take care of customers well lately, up to and including replacing a TV with the newer year's model at change over.
post #5 of 35
Thread Starter 
Thanks for everyone's replys.

You're right, it is a toss up between the two. If only someone could make a plasma with great shadow detail AND brighter picture, I'd be set.

Going today to look at the 2 sets side by side again, hopefully I'll have a winner.
post #6 of 35
If you are comparing GT30 to D8000 why wouldn't you compare the 60GT30 to the PN59D8000 since the size is within 1 inch?

That said, I went through this recently. Chose the PN59D8000 mostly because of reviews. The VT30 isn't available in a near 60 inch and the 65 is too big and too $$$.

I didn't trust store display conditions whether set to defaults or adjusted by the sales people. My PN59 is just a week old, but I am very pleased with it so far.
post #7 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hofffam View Post

If you are comparing GT30 to D8000 why wouldn't you compare the 60GT30 to the PN59D8000 since the size is within 1 inch?

That said, I went through this recently. Chose the PN59D8000 mostly because of reviews. The VT30 isn't available in a near 60 inch and the 65 is too big and too $$$.

I didn't trust store display conditions whether set to defaults or adjusted by the sales people. My PN59 is just a week old, but I am very pleased with it so far.

How are the blacks/shadow detail on yours? At the store I noticed the Sammy had deeper blacks, but lost details vs the Panasonic. I couldn't tweak the Sammy as the TV had no remote, I got the brightness pretty even on the Panny, but blacks weren't as "inky" as on the Sammy BUT had more detail.
post #8 of 35
Panny has deeper blacks than Sammy (although you may not be able to appreciate that with store lighting).
post #9 of 35
I would go with the GT30. The better blacks on it will give it an edge in overall PQ. The D8000 technically has more accurate color (after pro cal'd), but the greater contrast on the GT30 will stand out more in real viewing and in THX mode still has excellent color.
post #10 of 35
Thread Starter 
I guess it's better blacks vs brightness. Those with the GT30, how's the daytime viewing? Blacks don't washout and picture stays vibrant?
post #11 of 35
I've seen calibration reports of the 60" GT30 in THX mode pushing out 51 fl when calibrated. That should be bright enough, however, I do not know if the 55" pushes out that much (although I assume it does). I have a 65" ST30 that puts out 48 fl calibrated and that seems fine for daytime viewing and I get plenty of sunlight in my room, but every situation can vary. I think reflections can be a bigger issue for some, but the blacks are excellent on these sets (day or night).
post #12 of 35
Thread Starter 
Sweet!

Just checked both sets out again, spent an hour tweaking both. The color/blacks are more natural on the Panny at least from the basic tweaks I made.

One thing I did notice is that Sammy TVs seem to have a sharper picture vs Pannys. The image appeared soft on the Panny regardless of screen size while the Sammy stayed sharp albeit introducing slight noise to flesh on close ups. I tryed tweaking sharpness, nothing helped. Is it just me or are Pannys just softer looking?

All picture enhancers such as smooth motion, dynamic lighting etc were turned off while comparing.
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeech10 View Post

Sweet!

Just checked both sets out again, spent an hour tweaking both. The color/blacks are more natural on the Panny at least from the basic tweaks I made.

One thing I did notice is that Sammy TVs seem to have a sharper picture vs Pannys. The image appeared soft on the Panny regardless of screen size while the Sammy stayed sharp albeit introducing slight noise to flesh on close ups. I tryed tweaking sharpness, nothing helped. Is it just me or are Pannys just softer looking?

All picture enhancers such as smooth motion, dynamic lighting etc were turned off while comparing.

that's my issue with my 50g25 the blacks are insane but the colors are so powerful they're almost impossible to stop a saturated look - THX mode is too dark in SD and Sports like Hockey ...movies it's great but IMO...overall it gives a soft look ....

You may wanna check the Sony NX720 55 inch LED , same Px @ Sears ...inky blacks superb color accuracy and the best looking TV you can buy ...it's a sheet of black glass.... it actually has a Plasma feel....except 10x's brighter but not stupid torch mode bright ...

TV is sensational ...in fact I was looking at another Plasma, but I may just grab another Sony 55 an be done with it...

played FIFA tonite on PS 3 with the Pioneer system ...it was mindblowing ...
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeech10 View Post

Sweet!

Just checked both sets out again, spent an hour tweaking both. The color/blacks are more natural on the Panny at least from the basic tweaks I made.

One thing I did notice is that Sammy TVs seem to have a sharper picture vs Pannys. The image appeared soft on the Panny regardless of screen size while the Sammy stayed sharp albeit introducing slight noise to flesh on close ups. I tryed tweaking sharpness, nothing helped. Is it just me or are Pannys just softer looking?

All picture enhancers such as smooth motion, dynamic lighting etc were turned off while comparing.

I noticed the same thing on my brothers 59d8000. I have the 55ST30 and I thought my brothers samsung looked a bit sharper. It also seemed to do better with HD cable but he may just have a better signal. He has Cox cable and I have comcast. I didn't notice much difference with black levels but the gt30 is supposed to be a little better with blacks than the st30. I read a really good review today for the ST50 so I would think about it as well. We should see some more pro reviews in the next few months.
post #15 of 35
Lastly IMO, Plasma people have been lying to themselves..like I did, true White is a MUST in a TV ...a MUST ..how can you buy a TV that makes whites look yellowy? / soft? have you seen snow? NHL Ice? it's blinding white....not soft....that's where Panny's flat out suck...it ruins the TV...I don't care how good Avatar looks on a Plasma...put a Hockey game on and I cringe...
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

Lastly IMO, Plasma people have been lying to themselves..like I did, true White is a MUST in a TV ...a MUST ..how can you buy a TV that makes whites look yellowy? / soft? have you seen snow? NHL Ice? it's blinding white....not soft....that's where Panny's flat out suck...it ruins the TV...I don't care how good Avatar looks on a Plasma...put a Hockey game on and I cringe...

I guess some people would rather give up a better picture on one single sport for a better picture on every other type of programming. I don't even watch hockey but I do watch a bunch of movies and football and I haven't seen an LCD near the ST30 in price that comes close to the picture quality.
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

I guess some people would rather give up a better picture on one single sport for a better picture on every other type of programming. I don't even watch hockey but I do watch a bunch of movies and football and I haven't seen an LCD near the ST30 in price that comes close to the picture quality.

The NX720 side by side with the ST30 is a better PQ ...2011 Panny's in a word? DARK.
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

I guess some people would rather give up a better picture on one single sport for a better picture on every other type of programming. I don't even watch hockey but I do watch a bunch of movies and football and I haven't seen an LCD near the ST30 in price that comes close to the picture quality.

Quote:


The Panasonic TC-P50ST30 is far from perfect, though. There were huge problems with motion artifacting. The TV also could not handle high contrast, high frequency patterns, which resulted in some crazy looking false coloration and flickering. Panasonic made a lot of noise about an improved Viera Cast for 2011, but the streaming content service is just barely keeping up with Sony and Samsung.

Overall, there's a lot to like about this TV, but you can find better, cheaper plasmas

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...Conclusion.htm
post #19 of 35
Panny VT30
Quote:


Peak brightness was weak
A lot of artifacting in some circumstances

Worst buy I ever made was this Panny I have in my LR, cannot wait to sell it in a word: Dull.
post #20 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post


I noticed the same thing on my brothers 59d8000. I have the 55ST30 and I thought my brothers samsung looked a bit sharper. It also seemed to do better with HD cable but he may just have a better signal. He has Cox cable and I have comcast. I didn't notice much difference with black levels but the gt30 is supposed to be a little better with blacks than the st30. I read a really good review today for the ST50 so I would think about it as well. We should see some more pro reviews in the next few months.

So strange. The two TVs in the store (d8000 and gt30) had 1080p signal pumped through the same HDMI switch, so it didn't seem like the sharpness was dependent on signal quality. Has anyone else noticed their Pannys giving a softer image??
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

Panny VT30


Worst buy I ever made was this Panny I have in my LR, cannot wait to sell it in a word: Dull.

Your posts are confusing. For days you created new threads asking the most basic of questions regarding flat panel displays. In fact, just this morning you were asking if you should purchase a D7000 plasma of over a G25 Panasonic. Now all of a sudden, you are the resident expert.

This has become the problem with AVS, particularly in the FPD section. People giving recommendations based off opinion instead of facts. No wonder all the pros within the industry have left us.
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

The NX720 side by side with the ST30 is a better PQ ...2011 Panny's in a word? DARK.

Did you read my post? I did say that in the ST30s price range you will not find an LCD that looks as good. You're looking at an LCD that's twice as much as the ST30 correct? Why not just recommend the Sharp Elite to everyone since no one has a budget?

Quote:

The St30 has received plenty of good reviews but I don't think the linking all of them will prove any point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

Panny VT30


Worst buy I ever made was this Panny I have in my LR, cannot wait to sell it in a word: Dull.

And there is nothing wrong with that. I just don't see the point of trashing a TV because you didn't find it to be bright enough. I went from a Samsung 40A630 to the 55ST30 and the ST was plenty bright for me and has a much picture quality. You won't see me over in the Samsung LCD forum trashing LCDs because of my experience with the 630. Thats would be pointless.
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

Lastly IMO, Plasma people have been lying to themselves..like I did, true White is a MUST in a TV ...a MUST ..how can you buy a TV that makes whites look yellowy? / soft? have you seen snow? NHL Ice? it's blinding white....not soft....that's where Panny's flat out suck...it ruins the TV...I don't care how good Avatar looks on a Plasma...put a Hockey game on and I cringe...

It sounds like you have major calibration issues.
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeech10 View Post

So strange. The two TVs in the store (d8000 and gt30) had 1080p signal pumped through the same HDMI switch, so it didn't seem like the sharpness was dependent on signal quality. Has anyone else noticed their Pannys giving a softer image??

I watched a bluray on my brothers D8000 and the picture was a little more crisp than the ST30. I had the sharpness all the way down so it wasn’t a settings thing. I was just saying the performance on cable was hard to tell if the TV was that much better or if it was just a better cable signal. I do agree the ST30 looks a little soft when compared with the Samsung. I also thought the 3D was better on the D8000. It just seemed to have a little more pop out to it. Again it wasn't a huge difference but it was noticeable.
post #25 of 35
I owned a 64D8000, 65VT30, and 65ST30. The Samsung is slightly crisper/sharper than the Panasonics. However, I found the Panasonics to be a bit smoother and more film-like, overall.
post #26 of 35
Thread Starter 
Those of you with the Sammys, have you experienced any judder/frame dropping during panning shots? The d8000 that I saw was showing a video panning (while zooming) around an airplane And seemed like the picture would loose a frame and sort of "jump" or "stutter" while the zoom/pan action was going on. I didn't see these issues on the Panny (perhaps because of the softer/less crisp overall picture).

Im So close to making a decision! Haha
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeech10 View Post

Those of you with the Sammys, have you experienced any judder/frame dropping during panning shots? The d8000 that I saw was showing a video panning (while zooming) around an airplane And seemed like the picture would loose a frame and sort of "jump" or "stutter" while the zoom/pan action was going on. I didn't see these issues on the Panny (perhaps because of the softer/less crisp overall picture).

Im So close to making a decision! Haha


I have a feeling one of the motion enhancers was turned on or something on the Samsung. I would always leave these off.
post #28 of 35
Thread Starter 
BTW, thank you for all your suggestions, it is definitely good info to hear from people who actually experienced these sets day to day.
post #29 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post


I have a feeling one of the motion enhancers was turned on or something on the Samsung. I would always leave these off.

All the motion enhancers were turned off. Picture mode was in Dynamic.
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeech10 View Post

All the motion enhancers were turned off. Picture mode was in Dynamic.

Weird - definitely haven't had any issues like that on my Samsung. The motion looks the same (great) as my Panasonic that I have upstairs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Which one to get??.Panasonic GT30 Vs Sammy D8000