or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sunflower State Cinema - Page 20

post #571 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I agree with what Doug is saying, nothing about the room looked DIY to me.

The only exception (which to me is a positive since I would prefer it this way if it were me) was the couch in the second row. There is something about having a place to actually lay down, not just recline.

Things I was extremely impressed with:

1. acoustics in the room
2. beautiful/professional looking room - great lighting and colors too
3. AT screen with not a hint of holes/weave/whatever even right up next to it.
4. Incredible contrast, ha, I don't get blacks anywhere near that with my massive screen/entry level projector/bright room.
5. Chairs were so comfortable!
6. What a great decision to go with the Orbit Shifter! That pushed me over the edge into getting a transducer.
7. Great noise isolation from the rest of the house! Awesome!
8. Like I said, couch is the way to go.
9. Even without much if any tweaking I loved the surround.
10. 2nd row gets GREAT tactile feel - see #6 smile.gif

^^^To get 1 OS or 2, that is the question! I think I might damage something if curiosity gets the best of me.

..........

Great build and perseverance, Grant. I might add a backup pump after seeing what you went thru...one can never be too careful. I think I missed it while reading thru your thread, but did you decide what 2nd sub you plan to add...if you're still considering a 2nd, that is.
post #572 of 582
Congrats! on completing your theater Grant. Did not realize you were fully done. Its been a while since i came on the forum. It looks amazing and also your whole thread is an excellent source to refer for future DIYers.
post #573 of 582
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

^^^To get 1 OS or 2, that is the question! I think I might damage something if curiosity gets the best of me.

..........

Great build and perseverance, Grant. I might add a backup pump after seeing what you went thru...one can never be too careful. I think I missed it while reading thru your thread, but did you decide what 2nd sub you plan to add...if you're still considering a 2nd, that is.

Yes to the backup pump. I have a battery backup and I plan to install a third pump that is powered off of the city water pressure.

As far as needing one or two OS's. There are two things to consider. Output and even frequency response between the seating positions.

My room is 15 x 19 x 8 pretty well sealed up and I can tell you that output is not an issue. The OS pressurizes the room very well. I don't know exactly what spl I am getting or how low I am getting it. I will do some measurements and find out. Unless your room is very large you probably do not need 2. Some people are interested in getting meaningful output into the single digits and this is very difficult. There are simply too many other areas of my theater I would like to address before I go chasing single digits.

Most rooms will need to have multiple subwoofers to even out the frequency response between the rows of seating. I do have a balancing sub cubby built into the wall for this purpose. I currently have a Rythmik F12SE back there that I have not had time to play with yet. The balancing sub does not need to be powerful and does not need to go very low since room modes will not be very low. However, I still may have problems getting these 2 very different subs to play nice so I built the space in the wall large enough for 2-3 18'' sealed boxes.
post #574 of 582
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao View Post

Congrats! on completing your theater Grant. Did not realize you were fully done. Its been a while since i came on the forum. It looks amazing and also your whole thread is an excellent source to refer for future DIYers.

Thanks Vik! Your thread was an inspiration!

I have been enjoying having a few people over and watching movies once the kids go to bed. There are around 20 "new release" movies that I own that I have put off seeing for several years in anticipation of the completion of my room. And 40 more of my all time favorites that I have been holding off on for the same reason. Now it is time to have fun.

I still need to do all of the automation stuff with iRule on my iPad and working with my GC 100-12 has been a puzzler. I am hoping a fellow avs'er will help me out sometime.

………..And you were right. There is simply very little you can do to prevent the insane low frequency waves put out by the Orbit Shifter from shaking the entire house if you crank it up enough. Even after all of the soundproofing the OS is just a beast and will have it's way.

How was watching the new Superman movie in your room? I still absolutely love the pic of Superman gracing your screen. Where did you find that picture?
post #575 of 582
Nice work, it looks like it turned out perfectly!
post #576 of 582
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

Nice work, it looks like it turned out perfectly!

Thanks. I still remember the first time the door closed to your theater. There was a satisfying thunk and then a silence that was unlike what I had experienced before. It really encouraged me that I was doing the right thing by moving forward with the soundproofing aspect of the project.

I will probably address this in another post sometime once I gather some more information but the high frequencies are damped enough so that my wife can tolerate me listening at high volumes and not tell me to turn it down. The low frequencies shake the whole house but up on the second floor bedrooms it is kind of like a low rolling thunder and my kids can sleep through it with a fan on. They have not awoke once and I am very thankful for this.

As far as lowering the noise floor in the room I am very happy with what my ears tell me. I don't have the measuring gear to tell you what it is but it is very very quiet. I think it takes the movie and music experience to the next level and I can be completely lost in the material. The one thing that I can't completely keep out is hard footfalls from the hardwood ceiling above and I knew this would be an issue when I started. Thankfully all of my "critical" movies and music will be played after the kids are in bed so it won't be an issue. I am glad however that I decided to do the double layer of 5/8'' dw with gg on the subfloor. I can't A/B the difference of course but I would hate to have regrets now wondering how much noise could have been prevented from entering the room.

Another thing that sticks out for me about your room is the xbmc. I want to do something like this eventually and stream content from a home server type hardware. Do I understand correctly that they are not continuing support officially for xbmc? That is too bad. I really liked the interface. What are the other options?
post #577 of 582
Thanks! landshark1 posted it on my thread i think and i then did a image search online and found it. Not yet watched the new superman movie in my theater. I am rarely doing loud demos nowadays unless someone visits and wants it. I am extremely happy watching most movies between -15 to -12 or -10 depending on the soundtrack on it.

My automation is also on the pending. I got my irule programmed by a fellow member and dealer on this forum "moreilly" but after that i did not even get to reading and installing the GC and modem gateways and use it since i got busy. I will have to look for someone local to do it for me also! I mostly use the iphone apps for the insteon lights and individual equipment for now.
post #578 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Another thing that sticks out for me about your room is the xbmc. I want to do something like this eventually and stream content from a home server type hardware. Do I understand correctly that they are not continuing support officially for xbmc? That is too bad. I really liked the interface. What are the other options?


MediaBrowser3 and JRiver are two very good options for HTPC use. I use JRiver and really like it. It's tailored a little more toward the music enthusiast as there are many options for adjusting playback. The theater view is not as interesting as XBMC or MB3, though it works well and the actual video playback is right on par with the other players because it incorporates MadVR and LAV filters into one package (read less setup).
MB3 on the other hand is just gorgeous and also looks like it should have excellent playback capabilities. I haven’t had time to play with this yet, but @MFusick is all over it.
Check out this thread for some good info:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1477339/so-youve-built-your-htpc-now-what-is-next-how-to-get-the-ultimate-picture-and-sound-quality-from-your-htpc-madvr-svp-xbmc-mediabrowser-jriver
post #579 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Thanks. I still remember the first time the door closed to your theater. There was a satisfying thunk and then a silence that was unlike what I had experienced before. It really encouraged me that I was doing the right thing by moving forward with the soundproofing aspect of the project.

I will probably address this in another post sometime once I gather some more information but the high frequencies are damped enough so that my wife can tolerate me listening at high volumes and not tell me to turn it down. The low frequencies shake the whole house but up on the second floor bedrooms it is kind of like a low rolling thunder and my kids can sleep through it with a fan on. They have not awoke once and I am very thankful for this.

As far as lowering the noise floor in the room I am very happy with what my ears tell me. I don't have the measuring gear to tell you what it is but it is very very quiet. I think it takes the movie and music experience to the next level and I can be completely lost in the material. The one thing that I can't completely keep out is hard footfalls from the hardwood ceiling above and I knew this would be an issue when I started. Thankfully all of my "critical" movies and music will be played after the kids are in bed so it won't be an issue. I am glad however that I decided to do the double layer of 5/8'' dw with gg on the subfloor. I can't A/B the difference of course but I would hate to have regrets now wondering how much noise could have been prevented from entering the room.

Another thing that sticks out for me about your room is the xbmc. I want to do something like this eventually and stream content from a home server type hardware. Do I understand correctly that they are not continuing support officially for xbmc? That is too bad. I really liked the interface. What are the other options?
Mediaportal is what I've been using for years.
post #580 of 582
Any luck with the Insteon system? I'm to the point that I need to run wire, so I'm trying to decide on what to get.
post #581 of 582
Thread Starter 
Thanks Blldo and dotjun for the suggestions. I will take a look when it comes time.

d_c I am just having too much fun using the room to spend the time and frustration to set up the automation. I am waiting for MrSmithers to have some time to come help me. He knows all about it after setting his up and I have decided to wait for help rather than struggling. I was able to program the Insteon stuff though and do my scenes. I can manually push the buttons on the dimmer switches but I have not programmed everything to work with iRule yet.
post #582 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

MediaBrowser3 and JRiver are two very good options for HTPC use. I use JRiver and really like it. It's tailored a little more toward the music enthusiast as there are many options for adjusting playback. The theater view is not as interesting as XBMC or MB3, though it works well and the actual video playback is right on par with the other players because it incorporates MadVR and LAV filters into one package (read less setup).
MB3 on the other hand is just gorgeous and also looks like it should have excellent playback capabilities. I haven’t had time to play with this yet, but @MFusick is all over it.
Check out this thread for some good info:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1477339/so-youve-built-your-htpc-now-what-is-next-how-to-get-the-ultimate-picture-and-sound-quality-from-your-htpc-madvr-svp-xbmc-mediabrowser-jriver

Funny I didn't get or see any notification from the @mfusick but I just happen to be reading this thread now and see it. Does that @ function work on AVS?

As far as post content I will +1 ^ biggrin.gif

Mediabrowser for slickness and eye candy, Jriver for simple high quality that works. Mediabrowser requires a bit more set up and learning curve but you are rewarded for your efforts. Jriver has everything important under on roof, which is value enough for some.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home