or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Deadline Has Been Set (and Re-Set...) Theater Build
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Deadline Has Been Set (and Re-Set...) Theater Build - Page 17

post #481 of 534
Thread Starter 
Thanks Spaceman. I only posted 6. Doesn't mean there aren't a dozen others of a remarkably similar angle and depth just waiting to be unleashed. cool.gif

Not sure why you would assume the final seats would be black...biggrin.gif

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #482 of 534
Not to thread jack but I had a chance to watch Pacific Rim and Hobbit on my AE-8000 this week in 3D and they were amazing biggrin.gif
post #483 of 534
Thread Starter 
Nice. Those two are on my rental list. I haven't actually watched any 3D with my 8000 yet. Might be because I didn't get in on the glasses rebate...mad.gif
post #484 of 534
one of the driving factors for the Panasonic was I had 6 pairs of the glasses from my 55" 2011 GT30 TV wink.gif
post #485 of 534
Thread Starter 
That would help. I'm not a huge 3D fan to begin with, so not very excited to shell out the $ for the good glasses. Maybe down the road, but not right now...
post #486 of 534
Thread Starter 
A quick vent/rant. So I get a call today from the carpet people. She asks me how I like the carpet and if I was happy with it. I say everything is great, very happy (assuming this was just a customer service follow up call). She then tells me that the installers spent more time on the install than they planned. Said they wanted to charge an extra $300ish dollars because of the riser and stage, but they would settle for an extra $100ish (the "ish's" are mine as I don't remember the actual amounts. I was a little peeved at the time). I reminded her that her people came out and did the measurements, they had two people internally come up with the work order to make sure it was correct, and that I had signed the work order and agreed to pay the original amount (which is already paid BTW). It's not my fault that they hosed it up. Also, I was there the entire time the installers were working (including their two 30 minute smoke breaks...). Not once did anyone mention that this was more than they expected, and there might need to be an upcharge. Finally got her to understand that I would not be paying the extra. Told her the other option was for them to come and rip everything out.

I like the carpet, think they did a good job installing and had no complaints. Was even telling everyone that came over to see the carpet, where it came from and how great they were to work with. Then I get this call and it just pissed me off and put a dark cloud over a relatively good day. I'm not going to tear them down about the carpet and installation quality. However, I won't be giving them any recommendations or referrals any time soon. I also find it a bit curious that the upcharge was about $20 more than the price reduction that they gave me when I bought the carpet...

OK, now I feel better. Carry on.
post #487 of 534
Nothing like asking for more money AFTER the job is done. rolleyes.gif Glad you are happy with the carpet and the quality of work. Looks great in pictures and I'm sure feels great in person.
post #488 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

A quick vent/rant. So I get a call today from the carpet people. She asks me how I like the carpet and if I was happy with it. I say everything is great, very happy (assuming this was just a customer service follow up call). She then tells me that the installers spent more time on the install than they planned. Said they wanted to charge an extra $300ish dollars because of the riser and stage, but they would settle for an extra $100ish (the "ish's" are mine as I don't remember the actual amounts. I was a little peeved at the time). I reminded her that her people came out and did the measurements, they had two people internally come up with the work order to make sure it was correct, and that I had signed the work order and agreed to pay the original amount (which is already paid BTW). It's not my fault that they hosed it up. Also, I was there the entire time the installers were working (including their two 30 minute smoke breaks...). Not once did anyone mention that this was more than they expected, and there might need to be an upcharge. Finally got her to understand that I would not be paying the extra. Told her the other option was for them to come and rip everything out.

I like the carpet, think they did a good job installing and had no complaints. Was even telling everyone that came over to see the carpet, where it came from and how great they were to work with. Then I get this call and it just pissed me off and put a dark cloud over a relatively good day. I'm not going to tear them down about the carpet and installation quality. However, I won't be giving them any recommendations or referrals any time soon. I also find it a bit curious that the upcharge was about $20 more than the price reduction that they gave me when I bought the carpet...

OK, now I feel better. Carry on.
Wow. Is this a big name carpet company? Sounds like someone screwed up on the backend with pricing and were trying to see if you'd be a sucker and pay up. Good for you for standing your ground.
post #489 of 534
Thread Starter 
Thanks blipszyc. They are a locally owned franchise of a national carpet company. I hate to be critical of them, as they did a good job both in the HT, and in my prior house when I had them replace all the upstairs carpet. Am second guessing now why I went with them over the people who did all the other flooring in the new house.

$100 isn't a huge amount, but it ain't chicken feed either. Just extremely annoyed with how they tried to re-coup it.
post #490 of 534
Well if you all remember my builder was paying for everything as we went. At closing he said to me man you hosed me on that theater carpet the labor was ridicules. He said I guess it was the patterns the risers and the stage which all needed lining up. Not sure if he paid the up charge or since he builds a lot of houses they ate it but either way it was invisible to me biggrin.gifcool.gif
post #491 of 534
We had great success with a more local (haven't dug into their history) when we did our whole basement, including the home theater, stairs, and my riser.

Here is a picture of the riser before carpet...
There is an overhang, and the step, etc. The installers had no idea what they had gotten in to, but they got it done, and I never saw anyone complain or ask for more money.

post #492 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

Well if you all remember my builder was paying for everything as we went. At closing he said to me man you hosed me on that theater carpet the labor was ridicules. He said I guess it was the patterns the risers and the stage which all needed lining up. Not sure if he paid the up charge or since he builds a lot of houses they ate it but either way it was invisible to me biggrin.gifcool.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

We had great success with a more local (haven't dug into their history) when we did our whole basement, including the home theater, stairs, and my riser.

Here is a picture of the riser before carpet...
There is an overhang, and the step, etc. The installers had no idea what they had gotten in to, but they got it done, and I never saw anyone complain or ask for more money.

I can see a builder/installer getting in over their head if they didn't come out and view the room ahead of time and just went on rough measurements. Considering they had come out to do a final measurement, I'm shocked to hear them ask for more.

My installer actually increased his estimate by about $75 after he came out and saw my stage. I had no problem with that because it was upfront and the original estimate was based on sq. footage alone. In the end, his guys really f*ed up my walls, but he was a real stand up guy, so he refunded me a couple hundred for repairs and repainting.
post #493 of 534
Did they quote you the job or estimate it? Because it certain lines of work, estimates are just . . . estimations. I've never had carpet done, so I don't know.

Seems slimy to me, though. rolleyes.gif
post #494 of 534
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the comments guys. They actually started with an estimate based off of my drawings and measurements. Then their person come out for an official measure. The quote (that was worked up by two people independent of each other, then compared and adjusted to be "correct") came in $300 higher than the original estimate. I got them to knock off about $80 and signed the quote/work order authorizing them to charge my account. The charge for the entire project (installation included) went through before the carpet was ordered, so there's no way they can claim it was an "estimate".

I know she was just trying to recoup costs, but it just left a sour taste. I will keep an eye on the account though...just in case...
post #495 of 534
Come on now pick a name already (BLACK HOLE) biggrin.gif
post #496 of 534
The Coal Mine?
post #497 of 534
G44
post #498 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

Finally got the Grafik Eye wired up this weekend. No more halogen work lights in the room!



Glad I decided against adding the sconces to the walls. This is plenty of light for me, and I don't have the rope light yet. I'm sure that will brighten the room even more.

Carpet is next. Starting to get it narrowed down to a couple different styles. Nothing too fancy. Will post pics of the choices after the next carpet guy comes through this week.

How many zones did you make?

What gang box did you use?

Did you just use one marrett for the neutral and one for the ground?

I have 6 zones with 12/2 wire and seems like it could get pretty jamb packed back there.
post #499 of 534
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

How many zones did you make?

What gang box did you use?

Did you just use one marrett for the neutral and one for the ground?

I have 6 zones with 12/2 wire and seems like it could get pretty jamb packed back there.
I made 5 zones.

- Cans in light tray
- Pucks above screen
- Step lights
- Behind screen speaker spots
- Rope lights for ceiling

Don't have the rope lights in yet, but everything is wired at the GE.

I used a 4 gang old work box similar to this one from Lowes.
4 gang old work box

I know others have used the metal masonry boxes. Those may give you a bit more room. It is very tight in there now, and not sure there would have been room if I would have used all 6 zones.

Had to look up marrett, we just call them wire nuts down here...tongue.gif Yep. Tied all the neutrals together and all the grounds with one wire nut each, and had a pigtail to the posts.

It is definitely tight in there. Get the biggest box you can.
post #500 of 534
Yah i just did mine, not too bad, i took two of these and cut about an inch off the back of one and joined the 2 together, had lots of room. Can you see the little tabs from the box and your staples from the top side too?
post #501 of 534
Thread Starter 
That's the box I used. Couldn't find a pic of it on the Lowes site for some reason.

I can't see the tabs because the fabric is actually over top of them. There are a couple of staples that decided they didn't like to be hidden. I hit them with a black sharpie, and now I don't notice them. Not visible from a distance at all, and you have to be up close looking for them in order to find them.
post #502 of 534
I've used a sharpie to hide things like that before. Genius!
post #503 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

I know others have used the metal masonry boxes. Those may give you a bit more room. It is very tight in there now, and not sure there would have been room if I would have used all 6 zones.

Had to look up marrett, we just call them wire nuts down here...tongue.gif Yep. Tied all the neutrals together and all the grounds with one wire nut each, and had a pigtail to the posts.

It is definitely tight in there. Get the biggest box you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

Yah i just did mine, not too bad, i took two of these and cut about an inch off the back of one and joined the 2 together, had lots of room. Can you see the little tabs from the box and your staples from the top side too?

From experience, get yourself a handful of these: http://www.gordonelectricsupply.com/index~text~5608486~path~product~part~5608486~ds~dept~process~search?gclid=CJHD6Y-ogLsCFRBnOgodzEYArw

One used for grounds, one for neutrals. Lies flat in the back of the box without the thickness of wire nuts and the extra depth required for twisted wire. No need to join boxes or go to a metal masonary box.
post #504 of 534
Thread Starter 
Those look great TMcG! Wish I would have known about those a few months ago. Don't think I want to re-wire the GE again though. Twice is enough for me...rolleyes.gif
post #505 of 534
Yah i could of used something similar but it was Sunday and i was in the "lets get this thing wired and finished" mood, so i used some larger wire nuts and extended the box and called it done. smile.gif
post #506 of 534
TMcG, that IDEAL 30-090J 8 port connector looks great! I can think of many times that they could have saved me a lot of hassle and space.

Thanks for mentioning them!
Edited by Nick in Manitou - 12/11/13 at 10:19am
post #507 of 534
GWCR - I just went through your thread after finding it referenced in the Iowa Meet thread. You've made very good progress and have done a really nice job on everything. Love the stage and soffit design!

Good luck in the homestretch.

kjlewie
post #508 of 534
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post

GWCR - I just went through your thread after finding it referenced in the Iowa Meet thread. You've made very good progress and have done a really nice job on everything. Love the stage and soffit design!

Good luck in the homestretch.

kjlewie

Thanks! Haven't done much (anything) since before Thanksgiving. Most weekends now are overtaken by basketball tournaments. Have a break from those coming up, so hopefully I can get back in there and make some more progress!
post #509 of 534
Bump! Two months since your last update smile.gif
post #510 of 534
Thread Starter 
Dang it! Thought my 2 year anniversary would come and go without this getting bumped up...rolleyes.gif Good to see you making progress again 235.

Mostly just trim work left here, and I should be able to start knocking that out in the next month. Only 3 weeks of basketball left, then a short break before baseball season kicks in. Hope to post some updates soon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Deadline Has Been Set (and Re-Set...) Theater Build