or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Big performance, small package
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Big performance, small package

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I am guessing this has been addressed on here before, but I could not find the right keywords when searching.

I am looking to upgrade my two fronts and center speaker, and am constrained by the 20" x 6.25" compartments in the entertainment unit. I am willing to spend about $1500 total for the three speakers. Any suggestions on the best performing speakers I should research for this situation?

Thanks,
Ryan
post #2 of 20
Try paradigm millennia one. Each speaker is $250, and for their size they sound wonderful.
post #3 of 20
Maybe see what NHT has that fits. They're sealed so should work better in a compartment.

Can you wall mount outside the cabinet?
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby3r View Post

I am guessing this has been addressed on here before, but I could not find the right keywords when searching.

I am looking to upgrade my two fronts and center speaker, and am constrained by the 20" x 6.25" compartments in the entertainment unit. I am willing to spend about $1500 total for the three speakers. Any suggestions on the best performing speakers I should research for this situation?

Thanks,
Ryan

Something in the Mythos series might fit.

http://www.definitivetech.com/produc...hosSeries.aspx

Scroll down the page to the bottom.

I have no experience with them though, I am just saying some of them fit your space and price limits.

I was going to suggest the Cambridge S30 but it looks like it is a tiny bit oversized.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_779S30D...ak.html?tp=186

Crutchfield has an awesome return policy, so there is only there is not a lot of risk.
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby3r View Post

I am looking to upgrade my two fronts and center speaker, and am constrained by the 20" x 6.25" compartments in the entertainment unit. I am willing to spend about $1500 total for the three speakers. Any suggestions on the best performing speakers I should research for this situation?

What size is the room you're going to use them in?
post #6 of 20
Thread Starter 
To answer a couple of the previous questions:

1) I don't want to consider wall mounting outside of this unit, because my wife and I actually agree that wall mounting speakers of any size larger than a bose cube looks worse than a floor mounted speaker. I want to see if I can get the sound quality I want while maintaining the aesthetic appeal we have in the room now. I guess I feel like things should have developed far enough by now to make this a possibility.

2) Room size is 256 Square Feet, or 2048 Cubic Feet. Not a huge room. I have decent Mirage surrounds in the ceiling as well as a very capable Mirage Sub.

I also just noticed that my entertainment unit has a faceboard covering some of the enclosures. So given that I could probably do some maneuvering to get the speakers in there the realistic dimensional limits are 20"w x 7"h x 8"d. If there are good options above my price range, please let me know of those as well.

Thanks,
Ryan
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby3r View Post

I am guessing this has been addressed on here before, but I could not find the right keywords when searching.

I am looking to upgrade my two fronts and center speaker, and am constrained by the 20" x 6.25" compartments in the entertainment unit. I am willing to spend about $1500 total for the three speakers. Any suggestions on the best performing speakers I should research for this situation?

Thanks,
Ryan

The PSB Imagine Mini is small and gets great reviews.
post #8 of 20
The Paradigm MilleniaOne already mentioned are very nice speakers for their size, so those are a good one to investigate. A few other worth considering are:
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby3r View Post

To answer a couple of the previous questions:

1) I don't want to consider wall mounting outside of this unit, because my wife and I actually agree that wall mounting speakers of any size larger than a bose cube looks worse than a floor mounted speaker. I want to see if I can get the sound quality I want while maintaining the aesthetic appeal we have in the room now. I guess I feel like things should have developed far enough by now to make this a possibility.

2) Room size is 256 Square Feet, or 2048 Cubic Feet. Not a huge room. I have decent Mirage surrounds in the ceiling as well as a very capable Mirage Sub.

I also just noticed that my entertainment unit has a faceboard covering some of the enclosures. So given that I could probably do some maneuvering to get the speakers in there the realistic dimensional limits are 20"w x 7"h x 8"d. If there are good options above my price range, please let me know of those as well.

Thanks,
Ryan

You could go the custom route. Jim Salk could build you something great to fit in those spaces.

http://www.salksound.com/

BTW, you're not limited by the designs on the website, he can build just about anything.
post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
Thanks to all for the suggestions thus far. I am thinking of going with either the Def Tech Mythos Sevens or Aperion Audio Versus Forte Centers, both in L/C/R format due to my entertainment center's three horizontal enclosure setup.

Any thoughts between the two?
post #11 of 20
to bad you could'nt squeeze 1/4" more in width or i would of recommanded the outlaw audio lcr b-stock for $475 each. 19x7.25x8.75
post #12 of 20
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned how badly his speakers will sound shoved into a compartment. Unless the speaker is designed to fit inside your cubbyhole you will be severely hampering the quality of the sound coming from it.
post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 
Understood, it will certainly compromise the sound quality not to have the speakers out in the open, but I am trying to meet my wife in the middle on this one. She is willing to let me spend a chunk of money on speakers we certainly don't need, and so I am trying to keep the family room from looking like a rich kid's frat house with big ungainly boxes everywhere.
post #14 of 20
Sorry but please post dimensions again using this format
height x width x depth

Front ported or sealed speakers will work just fine in the cabinet.
post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 
measurements of all three cabinet enclosures: 7"h x 20"w x 8"d
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby3r View Post

measurements of all three cabinet enclosures: 7"h x 20"w x 8"d

Wow that is not a very big place to put a speaker.
Sorry, but I have no suggestions that will fit into that space.
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby3r View Post

Understood, it will certainly compromise the sound quality not to have the speakers out in the open, but I am trying to meet my wife in the middle on this one. She is willing to let me spend a chunk of money on speakers we certainly don't need, and so I am trying to keep the family room from looking like a rich kid's frat house with big ungainly boxes everywhere.

It'll do more than compromise the sound. It will make it sound downright awful. Good luck, I feel for you and your dilemma!
post #18 of 20
Take a look at Anthony Gallo A'Diva or Orb Audio.
post #19 of 20
I second the Salksound tip. This one would almost fit:

http://www.salksound.com/wow1%20-%20home.htm
post #20 of 20
http://wwstereo.com/JBL/STUDIO130

These would fit and have been had for 100-120 bucks in the last few weeks

N/m .25 inches too big
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Big performance, small package