or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms › Are there any good possibilities for my house?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are there any good possibilities for my house?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
My living room is my HT. Although it's pretty much dedicated, it's not made to be a dedicated HT. It's too open to the rest of the house, but I've made do pretty well with what I've got. Don't get me wrong, it's a great setup and i love it. I just want more of a dedicated theater.

Given the following, are there any ideas for a feasible way to convert?

General layout:


"Front" of room:



Current equipment:

2010 Mitsubishi 73" DLP (73738)
Onkyo TX-NR5008 (powering the rear surrounds)
B&K 7250 (powering L/C/R/SL/SR)
Klipsch (2)RF-83s, RC-64, (4)RS-62
Dual Hsu Research VTF-15H subs
PS3
Toshiba HD-A35 HDDVD
Dish Network ViP622
Wii
N64
PS2

Front DIY acoustic panels - 2" AFB, 2' x 4' x3" MDF frames, AT fabric.
post #2 of 7
Do you have a basement you could put the theater in? If you convert what you have to a dedicated space, you'll no longer have a living room and you'll have to close off the space to the rest of the house, which will throw off your traffic flow to the other adjacent rooms. You'll probably need to get rid of the fireplace as well.

You may just have to live with it until you can move into a house with a more theater friendly floor plan.
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Do you have a basement you could put the theater in? If you convert what you have to a dedicated space, you'll no longer have a living room and you'll have to close off the space to the rest of the house, which will throw off your traffic flow to the other adjacent rooms. You'll probably need to get rid of the fireplace as well.

You may just have to live with it until you can move into a house with a more theater friendly floor plan.

No basement.

I'm figuring living with it is my only option, but was looking for other ideas that someone might do with a space like this without hurting any buyer appeal the house may have. (I'm thinking I'll want to be able to sell it someday.)

I even thought about using the master bedroom for a theater, but that presents more issues, obviously.

When I say "more dedicated" I don't mean full-on cave with all the amenities of a truly dedicated HT. I just mean something in between that and what I have now.

There may not be any good options, which is fine. But that's why I'm asking.
post #4 of 7
I think you're pretty much at general home theater. Short of painting the room dark, dark carpet, there's not a ton I can really think of.

You're kinda already doing what a general home theater is. Making the best of what you got and having a space that is not full on, but not a normal living room.
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by khankewycz View Post

I think you're pretty much at general home theater. Short of painting the room dark, dark carpet, there's not a ton I can really think of.

You're kinda already doing what a general home theater is. Making the best of what you got and having a space that is not full on, but not a normal living room.

I do need new carpet, and the white doesn't work for me anyway......
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Son View Post


No basement.

I'm figuring living with it is my only option, but was looking for other ideas that someone might do with a space like this without hurting any buyer appeal the house may have. (I'm thinking I'll want to be able to sell it someday.)

I even thought about using the master bedroom for a theater, but that presents more issues, obviously.

When I say "more dedicated" I don't mean full-on cave with all the amenities of a truly dedicated HT. I just mean something in between that and what I have now.

There may not be any good options, which is fine. But that's why I'm asking.

You have done a great job with your layout, I have no further suggestions. What are the tall structures immediately adjacent to your TV? Structures to hide your dual subs? If so, why so large?
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cme4brain View Post

You have done a great job with your layout, I have no further suggestions. What are the tall structures immediately adjacent to your TV? Structures to hide your dual subs? If so, why so large?

They are AV racks. The bottom half of each one is a Hsu VTF-15H. The racks straddle the subs (3/16" clearance on all sides). Then, to hide my gear, I built a pair of doors to match the face of the subs and ordered an extra pair of grilles. The idea was to look like a quad VTF setup.

I think it turned out sweet!

My AV receiver and amp are behind the door on the right rack, and my dish receiver, PS3, and other gear are behind the door on the left rack.


I thank everyone for their comments. It's not that I'm unhappy or don't like my setup. I just wanted to see if anyone (since this IS the HT room forum) knew of any cool ideas.

I think darker carpet is the best move.

Thanks again!


EDIT: See more pictures here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1385689
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms › Are there any good possibilities for my house?