or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Darbee vision darblet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Darbee vision darblet - Page 89

post #2641 of 7863
Thanks guys. I will post my impressions when I get it hooked up and play with it for a while.
post #2642 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtv View Post

I am using an Epson 5010 projector fed to a Darbee then fed into a Visio Wireless extender then fed into a Denon 2312 receiver. On power up sometimes I get a green tinted image. For you guys that have Epson 6010/5010 projectors, are there any setting that I can try to change to avoid the color space problems. I have looked thru all the menus and could not find anything that can be adjusted. Thanks in advance!

I have the same issue with my 6010. Cycling my hdmi switch corrects the green image. Unlike the other Epson poster, I did not have the green image on startup, prior to adding the Darby.

I will also get a strange result when viewing 3D, if I go to a menu on the disc. The image gets cut, with only the middle third showing on the screen. Panasonic BDT300

I have a new hdmi switch inc, and will see if that corrects my issue. New 6' 22 AWG cables didn't help. Removing the darby from the chain eliminates the issues I've had. For now, cycling the switch is an easy work around, but accessing menus on a 3D bluray, that aren't being displayed correctly, is troublesome.
post #2643 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Likewise the 60" Elite. smile.gif
Very happy.

Hi guys, I came looking for this thread on AVS because I just finished reading the review at "Home Theatre" magazine by Kris Deering......Wow!!! This thing seems impressive, to say the least.
Now, as some others here have mentioned before, this seems to be geared for those with projectors or larger screen sizes. Is this true?. I have a 60" Kuro (seating distance = 8' ). Can anyone else with a plasma besides Ken Ross, confirm/deny what Kris has written in his article. I have always tried to read reviews and after subjective viewing and listening, made up my mind whether to buy the product or not. In this case, I can't test this at my local AV dealer or Brick & Mortar store.

SO, BE HONEST HERE, IS KRIS EXAGERATING ON THE PERFORMANCE OF THIS UNIT? PLEASE BE HONEST!!

OR IS THIS WORTH THE $300.00 FOR WHATEVER IMPROVEMENT YOU GET?

Thanks

Paul

I also have a Pioneer 600M which I sit about 10' from. I feed it from my Oppo 93 > Denon 4311 > Monoprice 5/1 HDMI switcher > Darblet > 600M. Other feed is Fios/Motorola 7232-2 DVR > HDMI switcher > Darblet > 600M. I agree with everything that folks who like the Darblet are saying including Kris. I run my Darblet at HD 45%. As has constantly been said here the better the video quality of the feed (especially scenes with lots of small detail) the better the result on my display. I will say I have tried POP mode/45% on animated blu-rays like Kung-Fu Panda 2 and How To Train Your Dragon and the images really do POP more and I like it for well done animated movies. But there is no video noise or grain on animated films so there is no real downside with those being overly exaggerated like on movies shot on film with pronounced grain or poorly mastered. IMO HD broadcast TV over Fios is certainly improved by the Darblet but generally speaking not to the extent you will see on sharp well mastered blu-rays. Also poorly compressed feeds with compression artifacts will not be served well with the Darbee on.

But basically YES you will see the same things Kris was speaking of on your 60" Kuro, at least based on my experiences with mine.
post #2644 of 7863
What issue of Home Theater Magazine are you talking about? I just went through the new September issue and don't see it.
post #2645 of 7863
A review has been posted on the Hometheater website LINK
Not sure if it's been posted but Avforums in the UK have also reviewed it LINK

I´m very interested in how the Darblet compares to the Epson(NEC chip) "SuperResolution". I know zombie10k has reviewed both the Epson and the Darbee... any comparisons? Do they do similar things? Would be awesome to get some pics on how they each work and possibly if they can both be used at once.
post #2646 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

What issue of Home Theater Magazine are you talking about? I just went through the new September issue and don't see it.

Hometheater.com Not the magazine.
post #2647 of 7863
Thought I'd share these images while experimenting with settings. As always, these still frames captured by a camera from a projected surface really don't do the image justice. The point I wanted to demonstrate was the increase in sharpness, detail and volume as the settings of Nvidia and Darbee image enhancements are stacked upon each other. When viewed as 1080P full motion video from the correct viewing distance, the combined settings produce an amazingly detailed and three-dimensional picture.
Anybody else stacking Darbee enhancements with other algorithms? Got pics?


Original


Nvidia EE 80%


Nvidia EE 80% + Darbee POP 50%
post #2648 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

I have the same issue with my 6010. Cycling my hdmi switch corrects the green image. Unlike the other Epson poster, I did not have the green image on startup, prior to adding the Darby.
I will also get a strange result when viewing 3D, if I go to a menu on the disc. The image gets cut, with only the middle third showing on the screen. Panasonic BDT300
I have a new hdmi switch inc, and will see if that corrects my issue. New 6' 22 AWG cables didn't help. Removing the darby from the chain eliminates the issues I've had. For now, cycling the switch is an easy work around, but accessing menus on a 3D bluray, that aren't being displayed correctly, is troublesome.
Do the issues occur if you turn off the Darbee so it's not doing any processing?
post #2649 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjschaff View Post

I still feel uncertain about the internal processing of the Darblet, but I've not detected a great deal of difference in choosing one color space over another in my setup.
What's interesting is DarbeeDr's statement re: Full Pop and its utility with respect to low quality, low resolution material. He's encouraging its use for that content, despite what many of us have experienced, including, I gather from his review, Kris Deering. I don't get the feeling that Kris believes Full Pop has any place in any of his sources. But then again, he's probably concerned with only the best sources he has in his environment. (And I've yet to re-install any VHS technology into my setup to see how that might benefit from the Darblet; maybe others have tested this or some DVD B pictures).
From my experience, and what DarbeeDr says as well, Full Pop is warranted when the source is exceptionally "clean" video (rather than film sources) and can take advantage of the full Darbee effect. But then I'm using it for over the air high def channels, and he is using a satellite source that, as I understand it, has been compressed by DirecTV. So maybe that's why his experience is very different from my own.

I did not read Kris' review until after I put that document together, but as I read the review, I was thinking about what DarbeeDR had said, and what comments Kris might have about his post or my edited document. I have not done much playing with it on the projector. I will probably do more when I get my RS-35 and get it installed.

Mark
post #2650 of 7863
WE have some coming in tomorrow and can fulfill a few new orders. I am traveling tomorrow but you can email me or call Mike or Jason. Thanks
post #2651 of 7863
Like the sample images on the Darbee site, Mimioguy's still images do looked a little "cooked," but the live presentation is much more natural. Marcel is using the same combination I am with similarly impressive results. Take special note of the increased detail in the Nvidia-only image, all without the expected sharpening artifacts. It's quite remarkable, far better than I would have guessed before I experimented with the Nvidia edge enhancement.

I wouldn't be so quick to denigrate the potential in a $60 video card or dismiss the the Darbee/NVidia combo as something that is "fun ... to play around with." The combination of enhancements produces a very potent result regardless of the incredibly attractive price. smile.gif
Edited by boblinds - 8/23/12 at 9:53pm
post #2652 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

Greetings everyone smile.gif
I'm hoping to get some feedback on a very unique and different situation regarding why I'm considering buying this product.
I have a defective 2010 Samsung PN50C6500 plasma. Long story short- Samsung refused to refund/ exchange it from day1 saying that it was within spec and have been stuck with it ever since. It suffers from an extremely noisy picture in all presets as well as dithering that I'm forced to watch it with Dynamic contrast set to high and digital and MPEG noise filters set to medium to get any kind of usable picture out of it. Of course this is to the determinant of shadow detail and artificial sharpening not to mention overall picture quality.
Would the darbee help me with my situation? The Home Theatre review says it won't hurt but I wanted to get thoughts/ opinions from some owners here. Iam looking to purchase the Panasonic 65ST50 in the next couple of months so the worst that could happen is that I get to use it with that set instead.
Thanks!


Anyone?
post #2653 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvy111 View Post

I tried the Darbee using my PS3 instead of the cheap Panasonic bluray I had been using and oddly enough I'm getting better results now. With the Pana player, anything above 25%hd looked off to me, with the PS3 I can crank it to 45%-50% before this happens. Seems like the Darbee might be player sensative, either that or I'm going blind.

I did some further testing today and it must have been a placebo effect because I no longer see any difference between the players when comparing them back to back using the Darbee. Without the Darbee the PS3 does have a slightly better image though, but I already knew that.

I still find inconsistent results with the Darbee set to 45-50%hd. Some images will look better and others will look worse. To me the Darbee functions alot like sharpness settings do, they're good for about 2 or 3 notches but anything higher and the image starts to look worse. For me 25%hd is still the best setting I think, it seems to add a slight amount sharpness and depth on some images without making others look worse.
post #2654 of 7863
Anyone know if price increase in September is because of a new generation of the device with upgrades and design changes?
post #2655 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

Anyone know if price increase in September is because of a new generation of the device with upgrades and design changes?

Or maybe just demand!
post #2656 of 7863
Would love two HDMI inputs.
post #2657 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvy111 View Post

I did some further testing today and it must have been a placebo effect because I no longer see any difference between the players when comparing them back to back using the Darbee. Without the Darbee the PS3 does have a slightly better image though, but I already knew that.
I still find inconsistent results with the Darbee set to 45-50%hd. Some images will look better and others will look worse. To me the Darbee functions alot like sharpness settings do, they're good for about 2 or 3 notches but anything higher and the image starts to look worse. For me 25%hd is still the best setting I think, it seems to add a slight amount sharpness and depth on some images without making others look worse.

It is not a placebo effect for me, it is more likely the fact that my Sony BR goes direct to the PJ, and HTPC has Nvidia helping with the processing. I havenot tried any of Nvidia EE yet, but I will.
post #2658 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by boblinds View Post

Like the sample images on the Darbee site, Mimioguy's still images do looked a little "cooked,"

Totally over-cooked and on purpose. smile.gif
post #2659 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimioguy View Post

Totally over-cooked and on purpose. smile.gif

notice there is no Darbee notification on the screenshots too!
post #2660 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

notice there is no Darbee notification on the screenshots too!

Why would anyone want that enabled while watching video content?
post #2661 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

Anyone know if price increase in September is because of a new generation of the device with upgrades and design changes?

The lower price was an introductry price (that is my understanding). Since the product is only a couple months old, I wouldnt' expect a new version of the basic darbee this soon. I know they will be talking about their future products at CEDIA....but as far as a new version of the basic darbee shipping next month...no
post #2662 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post

Why would anyone want that enabled while watching video content?
it displays off and on when changing settings..these photos look like crap and no proof a darbee was used. Even without it the photo looks terrible to start with
post #2663 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

Anyone know if price increase in September is because of a new generation of the device with upgrades and design changes?

Over and over I post the same thing. I know. I am telling. You heard it here first, again and again.

There are no changes coming nor any replacement product. There is a price increase as to MSRP and minimum selling price has not been set yet. Presently minimum selling price is $269 and it will likely increase to at least $299. All orders received by AV Science before September 16th will be honored at the $269 price.

We have a batch arriving today and can immediately fulfill a limited amount of new orders. Please call any on our sales staff or email us. Thanks
post #2664 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvy111 View Post

I did some further testing today and it must have been a placebo effect because I no longer see any difference between the players when comparing them back to back using the Darbee. Without the Darbee the PS3 does have a slightly better image though, but I already knew that.
I still find inconsistent results with the Darbee set to 45-50%hd. Some images will look better and others will look worse. To me the Darbee functions alot like sharpness settings do, they're good for about 2 or 3 notches but anything higher and the image starts to look worse. For me 25%hd is still the best setting I think, it seems to add a slight amount sharpness and depth on some images without making others look worse.
Which movie & format(blu-ray, DVD, cable) did you test?
Do you have DNR or have the sharpness on your display enabled or a high setting?
Do you have frame interpolation of any kind enabled?
post #2665 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimioguy View Post

Totally over-cooked and on purpose. smile.gif

Please state your purpose in "over cooking the Image". I read your first post, but why would you over cook the image to "what end"?
post #2666 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Which movie & format(blu-ray, DVD, cable) did you test?
Do you have DNR or have the sharpness on your display enabled or a high setting?
Do you have frame interpolation of any kind enabled?

Only bluray was tested, Harry Potter 5,6,7, Lord of the rings, Sucker Punch, Transformers, Despicable Me, Xmen origins, Tron legacy were some of the titles.
Epson 6010 : thx picture mode DNR and sharpness on 0, Super Resolution tried it on 0 and up to 5, Frame Interpolation on low(I'm pretty sure I tried it off at some point)
post #2667 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Please state your purpose in "over cooking the Image". I read your first post, but why would you over cook the image to "what end"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimioguy View Post

The point I wanted to demonstrate was the increase in sharpness, detail and volume as the settings of Nvidia and Darbee image enhancements are stacked upon each other.
post #2668 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimioguy View Post


So you are saying that over-cooking is a good thing or a bad thing? Sorry for the confusion, but your initial post that you quoted above seem very positive. Then your post following the screen shots seemed like you were pointing out the negative by over cooking the image. Hence my confusion and asking what the net was for your system.

I think this is one of those products that does require a home demo. Fortunately, you can use AVS's return policy to do so and be out less than the cost of a new release Blu Ray for shipping costs. IMHO, with what most have invested in their systems, this is a good value whether you keep it or not. It appears from an antidotal stand point, most seem to be keeping them.
post #2669 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjschaff View Post

Agree totally. And I'd have to say that his experience with the Darblet is nearly the same as mine. And given that I too have a JVC-RS 35 and Lumagen Radiance and Oppo Blu-ray and other Blu-ray sources the range of Hi Def for the Darblet that he's been using is the same with me. My only difference with his experience is my video source. It's a Tivo HD and I'm using it only for Over-the-Air broadcasts here in the S.F. area. Least compression I know of (had both DirecTV and Comcast and these were much less quality, likely due to their compression). So, that's where I take DarbeeDr's guidance and use Full Pop for quality broadcasts like last evenings S.F. Giant's game in L.A. (sorry Dodgers).

Hello Sjschaff & rboster,

First, let me say that I have always had the greatest of appreciation for Kris' reviews and impressions of AV gear for as long as I have been reading HT mag. Perhaps "exaggeration" was the wrong word to use. However, the only reason I was and still am calling his review into question, was because of the comments that some made here in direct response to that review. That is, they are not having the same POSITIVE experience, not even close, as he did or like you guys are having.
I know sometimes we have to make a call on this and it is a subjective thing.....however like I mentioned before, its not like I can walk into my local AV store and see the Darbee in action. I would love to test this out and see if I too can experience the positive things that others here have said. Believe me after reading Kris' review I am itching to get my hands on one of these. I just read that AVS has some units in stock.

Thanks again

Paul

PS. Does anyone know if there is a full money back return policy if your order this unit?
Edited by hidefpaul - 8/24/12 at 9:24am
post #2670 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

Hello Sjschaff & rboster,
First, let me say that I have always had the greatest of appreciation for Kris' reviews and impressions of AV gear for as long as I have been reading HT mag. Perhaps "exaggeration" was the wrong word to use. However, the only reason I was and still am calling his review into question, was because of the comments that some made here in direct response to that review. That is, they are not having the same POSITIVE experience, not even close, as he did or like you guys are having.
I know sometimes we have to make a call on this and it is a subjective thing.....however like I mentioned before, its not like I can walk into my local AV store and see the Darbee in action. I would love to test this out and see if I too can experience the positive things that others here have said. Believe me after reading Kris' review I am itching to get my hands on one of these. I just read that AVS has some units in stock.
Thanks again
Paul
PS. Does anyone know if there is a full money back return policy if your order this unit?
YMMV.... folks see differently, and screen size, viewing distance, contrast ratio, quality of program material all affect the "darbee" effect. I think if you were to add up the numbers well over 90% of the folks who've used one overwhelming favor the Darbee in their system. That's a pretty damn fine batting average I think. You can try it or not but Kris stated what he saw and many see it similarly. All it costs you is the price of return shipping if you decide it's not for you so it's not a huge gamble (Yes, AVS will refund it for 30 days) .....really, there is no need to agonize over it or question the reviewers positive comments.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Darbee vision darblet