or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Darbee vision darblet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Darbee vision darblet - Page 111

post #3301 of 7863
I would like to use a harmony one for the Darbee 5000. Does the harmony data base have this already? What device should I call it as I teach the remote the codes if not.
post #3302 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post


 ... I had no issues teaching my MX900 from the Darbee remote.
- - - - -

Same with me and my (~5-6 yr old) URC100.

post #3303 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

I would like to use a harmony one for the Darbee 5000. Does the harmony data base have this already? What device should I call it as I teach the remote the codes if not.

I just used cable/set-top box for the Darbee when I taught my Harmony One the commands, but it shouldn't matter a whole lot.
post #3304 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

fleaman,
I have tested a 1x2 and a 1x4, they both work without issue on the Darblet output, if that helps at all. One of the outs on the 1x4 even then goes to a wireless HDMI transmitter and sends signal across the room to a 3D plasma and everything functions as it should, including 3D (and of course the darblet 'effect').
Jason

Thanks Jason.

Were those the passive or powered splitters? Monoprice doesn't make a passive 1x4 splitter, so that one at least is powered?

Also, do you have the the darbee on the output of a hdmi switcher? Or a HT Receiver?

In my case I'd have a switcher (4x2) and splitter (1x2), and a long 25ft hdmi cable from that to the PJ (which works fine with just the 4x2 switcher). I don't have a HT Receiver w/hdmi, hence the reason I have a 4x2 switcher.
post #3305 of 7863
I have not been able to find any information regarding the function of the "fine control " setting in the advanced menu. Can anyone shed some light on what this setting does? Thanks in advance.
post #3306 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

Thanks Jason.
Were those the passive or powered splitters? Monoprice doesn't make a passive 1x4 splitter, so that one at least is powered?
Also, do you have the the darbee on the output of a hdmi switcher? Or a HT Receiver?
In my case I'd have a switcher (4x2) and splitter (1x2), and a long 25ft hdmi cable from that to the PJ (which works fine with just the 4x2 switcher). I don't have a HT Receiver w/hdmi, hence the reason I have a 4x2 switcher.

Each splitter is powered and that is coming off an AVR with dual HDMI outs.

Jason
post #3307 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaona View Post

I have not been able to find any information regarding the function of the "fine control " setting in the advanced menu. Can anyone shed some light on what this setting does? Thanks in advance.

I would like to know the same thing (when I get mine Monday afternoon). I can't wait, and have been holding off on watching movies on my pj for the last few days....I know, I have a problem. tongue.gif
post #3308 of 7863
Fine Control simply allows the 1 step adjustments versus the default 5 step.

Jason
post #3309 of 7863
thanks Jason for all the info thus far....To let everyone know, you have a 'pimp' home theater wink.gif classy cool.gif
post #3310 of 7863
Thanks Jason, two questions addressed with your answer; I also could not understand why, with the latest software and firmware versions, I did not have the one-step adjustment capability that was said to be available with those versions..so thanks twice!

My one day, HD cable only observations: does what it claims to do, but will vary depending on source material and quality (set at Hi Def fifty %). On CNN effect would vary from camera to camera. Not tried blue ray yet as cable was my real target for improvement. Was not sure this would produce the ten to fifteen % improvement that most were seeing as the Sharp Elite panel produces a very high quality picture on it's own, but the sharpening and added depth are apparent. Based on the observed enhancements, I would expect to keep the Darbee.
post #3311 of 7863
Thanks again Terry wink.gif and glad to help Kaona.

I have been using it on multiple displays, one of which is a Sharp 60LE632 that is fully calibrated and bests most Elite's as they come out of the box pre-cal, there is a definite improvement from the darblet (which was initially shocking as I expected little to nothing on that display).

Jason
post #3312 of 7863
Darbee is showing a new product at Cedia 2012, the Darbee Fidelio, which comes in standard rack-size component, has a touch-screen interface, video EQ, multiple inputs/outputs and downloadable features for "only" $2,000.00 !
I don't understand the business proposition here : instead of designing and manufacturing an improved Darblet with USB connection, two HDMI inputs/outputs, a nicer case and selling it for around $350 they release this overpriced monstrosity, another video processing component/box.
I can understand the rack mount case as some buyers on this thread wished that the Darblet would be packaged inside a nicer case, but not with a touch-screen and for such an exhorbitant price.
I wonder how many owners would actually have use for a front panel LCD touch-screen while fiddling around with the different controls of the Darblet AND trying to see the results at the same time onscreen...
post #3313 of 7863
"overpriced monstrosity" is a bit harsh until the facts are in about what all it does. Maybe considerably more than darbee visual presence. DD has thrown hints about other areas where nothing new has happened in quite a while. Who knows at this point.
post #3314 of 7863
I wouldn't call it "monstrosity" at the time being before knowing exactly what it can do. I agree however, the $2k price is too much regardless of what it can do. The fascia looks very gimmicky at the very least.

If it can do accurate auto display calibration + Darbee video processing + convincing 2D to 3D conversion a'la KanexPro, only then it MAY deserve the $1k price. definitely not $2k.
post #3315 of 7863
Venture capitalist can drive a lot of nonsense as well.

I agree USB in
for firmware, two hdmi in, two hdmi out, in a easy to place box would be great and likely to sell the video hobby market.

However they may licensing the chip we have been using a TV makers or AVR makers which would make the low price box uncompetitive .
The more expensive box will really have to zing to be competitive.
post #3316 of 7863
So I'm returning my Darbee. Luckily I purchased it from Amazon fulfilled and they have a good return policy.

The thing is so cheaply made it's like a toy. I'm not only speaking of the unit itself, but the remote is a joke and the AC adapter came completely apart in my hand when I unplugged it.

Also, when I viewed standard definition DVDs it introduced sparkles all over the screen even though HD blu-ray discs looked fine. Unacceptable, especially for the price charged.

If they come out with an updated better version in the future, I will consider it because it did work, when it worked.

That said, now that it's out of my setup, I don't really miss it.
post #3317 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

So I'm returning my Darbee. Luckily I purchased it from Amazon fulfilled and they have a good return policy.
The thing is so cheaply made it's like a toy. I'm not only speaking of the unit itself, but the remote is a joke and the AC adapter came completely apart in my hand when I unplugged it.
Also, when I viewed standard definition DVDs it introduced sparkles all over the screen even though HD blu-ray discs looked fine. Unacceptable, especially for the price charged.
If they come out with an updated better version in the future, I will consider it because it did work, when it worked.
That said, now that it's out of my setup, I don't really miss it.

Too bad as it does exactly what it was supossed to do with my 82" mitsu.
post #3318 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

So I'm returning my Darbee. Luckily I purchased it from Amazon fulfilled and they have a good return policy.
The thing is so cheaply made it's like a toy. I'm not only speaking of the unit itself, but the remote is a joke and the AC adapter came completely apart in my hand when I unplugged it.
Also, when I viewed standard definition DVDs it introduced sparkles all over the screen even though HD blu-ray discs looked fine. Unacceptable, especially for the price charged.
If they come out with an updated better version in the future, I will consider it because it did work, when it worked.
That said, now that it's out of my setup, I don't really miss it.

Post pics of the power adapter. Never seen one come completely apart just from unplugging. Not claiming anything, just interested in what it looks like.
post #3319 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZZZY View Post

Post pics of the power adapter. Never seen one come completely apart just from unplugging. Not claiming anything, just interested in what it looks like.

The kit is already on the way back so I don't have it to take pics of unfortunately.

I can tell you it felt extremely cheap hollow and light (just like the Darbee itself). When I grabbed it to unplug it, the top part separated from the base where it was still plugged in.

Frankly, I have the impression that Darbee tried to get the absolute cheapest components possible for this Darblet device, regardless of quality.
post #3320 of 7863
I have to say... I got my Darbee today and I am really impressed. I have never been able to get any video processing to my liking (receivers, sharpness, Reon processors) to actually sharpen the picture and get out the soft muggy look you get with some movies or scenes but this thing is pretty amazing.

Yes it is cheap plastic and see through but I don't intend to show the unit off I intend to show off how amazing the picture looks with it connected. My Mitsu 73640 looks even better now. I took a shot because of all the great reviews the Darbee has been getting especially from people with big DLP TV's and in my opinion don't hesitate get one and at least try it. Very happy with it so far!
post #3321 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

The kit is already on the way back so I don't have it to take pics of unfortunately.
I can tell you it felt extremely cheap hollow and light (just like the Darbee itself). When I grabbed it to unplug it, the top part separated from the base where it was still plugged in.
Frankly, I have the impression that Darbee tried to get the absolute cheapest components possible for this Darblet device, regardless of quality.

Truthfully, I'm glad it's made out of cheap parts. When you put it in an expensive rig, they call it a Fidelio and charge you $2000 for it.

I use my Harmony One instead of the crap remote, and the Darblet stays underneath the TV. Doesn't have to move again.

Its performance is fantastic for material that it's meant for. It's not meant for DVD's, probably.

By the way, what kinds of settings were you trying? Hopefully not Full Pop at 110. wink.gif

Sorry that it didn't work out.
post #3322 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

Darbee is showing a new product at Cedia 2012, the Darbee Fidelio, which comes in standard rack-size component, has a touch-screen interface, video EQ, multiple inputs/outputs and downloadable features for "only" $2,000.00 !
I don't understand the business proposition here : instead of designing and manufacturing an improved Darblet with USB connection, two HDMI inputs/outputs, a nicer case and selling it for around $350 they release this overpriced monstrosity, another video processing component/box.
I can understand the rack mount case as some buyers on this thread wished that the Darblet would be packaged inside a nicer case, but not with a touch-screen and for such an exhorbitant price.
I wonder how many owners would actually have use for a front panel LCD touch-screen while fiddling around with the different controls of the Darblet AND trying to see the results at the same time onscreen...

Guess it all depends on what it does but fundamentally, I have to agree. $2K is a bit steep.
post #3323 of 7863
Say, what is the latest firmware for the Darblet?

Is the firmware upgradeable by the user in future?
post #3324 of 7863
Sioftware Verion: 2.8.2214
Firmware Version 1.3.21

Should be the latest as far as I know and it seems as though the current units will not be end-user updatable (although it would be great if it happened).

Jason
post #3325 of 7863
Thanks for that info.

I was just reading back a few pages. Yeah, a shame the current Darblet is not user upgradeable.
post #3326 of 7863
I was talking to a Darbee rep. at Cedia and he told me that the Darblet was basicly a runner up to the $2k model. He said the Darblet was put out there to see if the tech. would sell to the general public. The Fidelio is really the intended product, but it won't be released until 2Q of 2013. He said more info on the new model would be on their website shortly. After hearing about the new price tag I ordered another Darblet for a 2nd setup and plan on using a hdmi switcher for each setup.. I'm wondering what switcher to use. What's the difference between something from Monoprice for $40.00 and a model from Gefen for $300.00?
Thanks,
Ken
post #3327 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

Darbee is showing a new product at Cedia 2012, the Darbee Fidelio, which comes in standard rack-size component, has a touch-screen interface, video EQ, multiple inputs/outputs and downloadable features for "only" $2,000.00 !
I don't understand the business proposition here : instead of designing and manufacturing an improved Darblet with USB connection, two HDMI inputs/outputs, a nicer case and selling it for around $350 they release this overpriced monstrosity, another video processing component/box.
I can understand the rack mount case as some buyers on this thread wished that the Darblet would be packaged inside a nicer case, but not with a touch-screen and for such an exhorbitant price.
I wonder how many owners would actually have use for a front panel LCD touch-screen while fiddling around with the different controls of the Darblet AND trying to see the results at the same time onscreen...

still scratching my head..I posted this 2 days ago and the post was removed..i am assuming it was in error
post #3328 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

still scratching my head..I posted this 2 days ago and the post was removed..i am assuming it was in error

You are correct, an error was made. Your "announcement" post has been restored.
post #3329 of 7863
Here ya go:
500x1000px-LL-0846266f_darbee1.jpeg 59k .jpeg file
It's official. There'll be a new Darbee sometime next year.

From AVS at CEDIA.

Quote:
We got a chance to check out Darbee's new higher-end image enhancing product for next year, the Fidelio, at CEDIA. Just like the Darblet, the Fidelio can vastly improve upon standard visuals. While it's still a ways off -- a Darbee rep said it'll ship in Q3 of next year -- they had a prototype of it running at the show. As you can see, it's definitely for the higher-end consumer: it has a slick looking video equalizer, a touch-screen user interface, and it's wifi-enabled for downloadable features. Darbee says it'll likely retail in the $2,000 range.
post #3330 of 7863
that story is about 2 days old. There is already another thread for the Darbee Fidelio. wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Darbee vision darblet