or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Darbee vision darblet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Darbee vision darblet - Page 122

post #3631 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

It's very likely darbee processing will be licensed to TV manufactures. In fact, I believe that's one of darbee's intents.
Though I'm sure it would be a advertised feature that you can adjust/turn off/on, etc.

Lets play name the TV manufacturer that's already reverse engineering it.
post #3632 of 7863
Got mine yesterday but seems I am having a handshake issue? I have it hooked up between a Pioneer SC-55 and Sony HW30 and it flickers non stop. Every once and a while the screen goes pink. It does work on my plasma downstairs, it's between my cable box and TV.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
post #3633 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo23 View Post

Help! I’m having a problem integrating the Darbee into my older DLP projection system. Have been trying to trouble-shoot it and have not been able to solve it. (BTW – I’ll post my thoughts on the product itself later.)
I’m running an Oppo BDP-83 to a Marantz VP-12S3L DLP projector - which is DVI (720p) - and project it to 110”. The effect of the Darbee works in the system, however, whenever the Darbee is physically in the chain there are numerous “sparkles” that appear, most visibly in the blacks. I’m a film guy so if this were a 35 print it looks like random flecks of dust/light at 1/24 second. They’re all over the frame, constantly popping on and off in random places – possibly a hundred at a time. The image is watchable at my normal 15’ viewing distance, but the added “noise” (or whatever it is) is not an acceptable trade-off for the benefit.
I’m hoping it’s a cable issue – since what I have is pretty make-shift right now. However, I’ve tested each cable without the Darbee in the chain and the image is fine.
Here’s the chain as I have it: Oppo 83 → Oppo HDMI cable → Darbee → HDMI cable (Male to Female) → HDMI to DVI adapter → DVI cable → Marantz projector.
I’ve tried Oppo 83 → HDMI to DVI adapter → DVI cable → Marantz. No problem, but no Darbee.
I’ve tried Oppo 83 → Oppo HDMI cable → Darbee → HDMI to DVI adapter → DVI cable → Marantz and, oddly, that gives me no image at all. It appears to need the HDMI cable (Male to Female) between the HDMI to DVI adapter and the Darbee to get an image.
Any ideas on what the sparkle effect/noise is? Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated! It’s possible that the projector is pre-HDCP, but I’ve had no problems before integrating the Oppo, for example, and the image is there, just with the added noise/sparkles.
BTW – I’ve tried quite a bit more than this – in the event a powered switcher would help. However, my original switcher was a Gefen DVI model and had the same effect. Those notes below if it’s helpful.
Originally I ran the Oppo 83 and a DirecTV receiver to a powered Gefen DVI switcher with a single DVI run to the projector. I tried installing the Darbee between the Oppo and the Gefen. Didn’t work. I removed the Gefen from the equation and bought a DVI to HDMI (female) converter and inserted the Darbee there. It worked but a got the sparkles. I removed the Darbee to test the DVI/HDMI adapter direct into the Oppo and it was clean.
I swapped out a higher quality HDMI cable between the Oppo and the Darbee and that had no effect. I then re-introduced the Gefen switcher but put it between the Darbee and the projector. That worked but had the same sparkles in the blacks.

I believe it has been posted that the Darbee will not work with a DVI set up..DVI is not HDCP compliant.
post #3634 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post

Got mine yesterday but seems I am having a handshake issue? I have it hooked up between a Pioneer SC-55 and Sony HW30 and it flickers non stop. Every once and a while the screen goes pink. It does work on my plasma downstairs, it's between my cable box and TV.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure what an SC-55 is, but if it's your pre/pro/receiver, then turn off all video processing and set it to 'pass thru'. Swap some HDMI cables around. Power down (and perhaps unplug) everything. Turn deep color to 'off' if you have that ability on your bluray player....check the settings on your projector; go into the advanced menu and play around with it.....that's all I can do to help......good luck.
post #3635 of 7863
i ordered mine, does it add any delay for gaming?
post #3636 of 7863
My darbee has reset itself twice in two weeks and both times it was when i changed my screen calibration from cal-night to cal day and tried different darbee strengths and modes.When I leave it set at gaming 46 it works fine.Am i wrong in thinking this reset thing comes from too much messing with settings too fast that confuses the darbee so it just resets itself?
post #3637 of 7863
Great!! I will try all those things. Thanks for the help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

I'm not sure what an SC-55 is, but if it's your pre/pro/receiver, then turn off all video processing and set it to 'pass thru'. Swap some HDMI cables around. Power down (and perhaps unplug) everything. Turn deep color to 'off' if you have that ability on your bluray player....check the settings on your projector; go into the advanced menu and play around with it.....that's all I can do to help......good luck.
post #3638 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanntastic View Post

i ordered mine, does it add any delay for gaming?

That's been discussed several times, most recently in the last couple of pages. If you use the search this thread engine (top of the page) and the would "lag" or "gaming" you'll find all the posts associated with the discussion.
post #3639 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

I believe it has been posted that the Darbee will not work with a DVI set up..DVI is not HDCP compliant.
DVI is a very funny connection when you mix TV and video. The connection works just fine for computer use. When plasma's first hit the market , most had DVI. Seemed to either work or not work and have unsolved issues.
post #3640 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post

Got mine yesterday but seems I am having a handshake issue? I have it hooked up between a Pioneer SC-55 and Sony HW30 and it flickers non stop. Every once and a while the screen goes pink. It does work on my plasma downstairs, it's between my cable box and TV. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Perhaps a bad DDC line in your HDMI cable.
Quote:
So what problems does HDMI regularly encounter? "Many problems have nothing to do with high-speed video," says Jeff. "The majority are issues with I2C, the serial protocol used on the DDC line for EDID (Plug and Play) and HDCP (high Bandwidth Digital content Protection).

"I2C is slow, but very susceptible to stray capacitance issues from connectors, cables or anything the electrical bus is connected to. If capacitance gets to a critical point, it slows the signal 'rise time' needed for proper communication. You can have all the high-speed data bandwidth in the world, but without DDC, you're dead in the water."

Possible results are "failures such as no audio, no picture, pink screen or flashing – it has nothing to do with the high-speed data lines. The video can be perfect, but if the DDC line has rise-time issues, the unit will not pass HDCP, and no picture will be displayed."

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/home-cinema/high-definition/common-hdmi-problems-and-solutions-923327
post #3641 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post

Got mine yesterday but seems I am having a handshake issue? I have it hooked up between a Pioneer SC-55 and Sony HW30 and it flickers non stop. Every once and a while the screen goes pink. It does work on my plasma downstairs, it's between my cable box and TV.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

I'm not sure what an SC-55 is, but if it's your pre/pro/receiver, then turn off all video processing and set it to 'pass thru'. Swap some HDMI cables around. Power down (and perhaps unplug) everything. Turn deep color to 'off' if you have that ability on your bluray player....check the settings on your projector; go into the advanced menu and play around with it.....that's all I can do to help......good luck.
I had to disable the processor (Marvell Qdeo) in my Pioneer Elite VSX-32 to stop the flickering.mad.gif Also, I'm still not able to use the pass-through on the VSX-32; that is, the VSX-32 must be on for the Darbee to reciever audio/video. Removing the Darbee allows the pass-through function, Marvell processing (when the AVR is on), and ARC (from the TV tuner and apps) to work fine. I'm looking at returning this thing, as I can't get Darbee support to respond to my multiple emails at both: and . This is very sad onsidering I like the job it does in general, but it's way too glitchy for my system...

Motorala 1200 series AT&T Uverse HDDVR => Pioneer Elite VSX-32 => Darbee => Panasonic TC P55VT50 plasma
Panasonic BMP BDT210 Blu-ray Player =>
Sony DVD/CD (480p) Megachanger =>
post #3642 of 7863
I think Solid Signal is keeping their price at $279.
post #3643 of 7863
I will turn the processor off on the receiver and see what it does to my system. If you have the same issue and an elite receiver, looks like I might be in the same boat. Hope to have time tonight to mess with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxme View Post

I had to disable the processor (Marvell Qdeo) in my Pioneer Elite VSX-32 to stop the flickering.mad.gif Also, I'm still not able to use the pass-through on the VSX-32; that is, the VSX-32 must be on for the Darbee to reciever audio/video. Removing the Darbee allows the pass-through function, Marvell processing (when the AVR is on), and ARC (from the TV tuner and apps) to work fine. I'm looking at returning this thing, as I can't get Darbee support to respond to my multiple emails at both: and . This is very sad onsidering I like the job it does in general, but it's way too glitchy for my system...
Motorala 1200 series AT&T Uverse HDDVR => Pioneer Elite VSX-32 => Darbee => Panasonic TC P55VT50 plasma
Panasonic BMP BDT210 Blu-ray Player =>
Sony DVD/CD (480p) Megachanger =>
post #3644 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post

I will turn the processor off on the receiver and see what it does to my system. If you have the same issue and an elite receiver, looks like I might be in the same boat. Hope to have time tonight to mess with it.

Well, I just heard back from Larry at Darblet support and he said the following:
Quote:
Hello Ron,

Sorry for your issues and it does take some time for our tech team to parse through each part of your issues. Thanks for your patience.

Flashes may improve to your liking, with a replacement unit as the flashes may be a software issue.
Remote quality may be satisfactory with a replacement, as we have made a small running change in our source to help there.
ARC will not be fixed with a replacement unit, we got stung by our HDMI IP vendor and are still determining what can be done, if anything.
Probably not in your case, but we do feel that we are navigating the HDMI minefield, as adroitly as most companies can.
If you would like a replacement, I'd be happy to get you out a new one.

We need your address and who you purchased the unit from.

I will then send you an RMA and shipping slip.

Larry

Also, the link provided by Mr. G (post #3640) is very educational and may help solve some of my problems when the new processor arrives.
Thank you kindly Mr. G.wink.gif
post #3645 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

I believe it has been posted that the Darbee will not work with a DVI set up..DVI is not HDCP compliant.

I hope that only applies to the display and not the cable itself.

My sources and my projector are all HDMI but my cable (installed in ceiling while my house was being built in '06) is DVI due to the lack of HDMI use back then. I have no reason to believe it won't work since I have no issues with HDCP with any of my sources to the PJ, including 3D, but I will be sure to report if there is an issue.

In my case, if worse comes to worst, I can cut the DVI ends off and pull a new HDMI cable through since I already have the cable. I would rather not have to as that always seems to be more complex than first thought.
post #3646 of 7863
Anyone try this on a crt projector with a moome input card and if so how was the results?
post #3647 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satmeister View Post

I think Solid Signal is keeping their price at $279.
I neglected to mention that I contacted Solid Signal about the same time as my original post, and learned that Solid Signal's price probably blows the Darblet price out of the water because their $269 price includes free shipping.

My 2 cents.
post #3648 of 7863
That's great news. The one I got was "new" but opened from AVS. I will contact Larry or if Larry is on here I can send an email, if one is provided.

Thanks Roxme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxme View Post

Well, I just heard back from Larry at Darblet support and he said the following:
Also, the link provided by Mr. G (post #3640) is very educational and may help solve some of my problems when the new processor arrives.
Thank you kindly Mr. G.wink.gif
post #3649 of 7863
Is the older "Checkerboard" 3D format supported?

Need to know if it must be installed before a 3DC-1000 / 3DA-1 checkerboard converter.

Hopefully the darblet can be installed last in my device chain.
post #3650 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post


I believe it has been posted that the Darbee will not work with a DVI set up..DVI is not HDCP compliant.

 

A friend of mine recently received a Darblet which he has hooked up to his older projector using an HDMI-to-DVI cable.  It works just fine.  So, it would seem that HDCP compliance only affects some DVI projectors, not all.

post #3651 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

That's been discussed several times, most recently in the last couple of pages. If you use the search this thread engine (top of the page) and the would "lag" or "gaming" you'll find all the posts associated with the discussion.

A simple yes / no isn't possible for the Guy? When Threads go long like this one, simple courtesies can mean a lot. And experience with the AVS Search feature can be "iffy" in any case, unless one knows how to refine a search using "Advanced" options.. (....although admittedly, it's better than it has been in the past....)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion View Post

If I remember correctly, the Darblet adds 6 microseconds. That's 0.006 milliseconds, as lag is usually measured. For practical purposes, that's zero lag.
post #3652 of 7863
Thank you. Very helpful. I will try another HDMI cable. I only messed with the unit for about 30 minutes. Hope to have more time to try all the help I got today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Perhaps a bad DDC line in your HDMI cable.
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/home-cinema/high-definition/common-hdmi-problems-and-solutions-923327
post #3653 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

I get that occasionally too through monoprice switcher..not splitter. Just turn tv off and then on again works for me when this happens

I recently finished my complex HDMI distribution setup with the Darblet in the mix, and wanted to say it all works like a charm, even with a mix of Blue Jeans Cable (Belden Series) HDMI cables in the following lenghts: 1-foot, 2-foot, 3-foot, 4-foot, 5-foot, 6-foot, 25-foot, and 45-foot. I am going to try two Darblets in series after I get my original one updated with the new firmware. Here is my diagram:

HDMI Distribution & Switching Diagram.pdf 985k .pdf file

Mark
post #3654 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

I think this could be detrimental for Darbee's business...out of 100 TV reviews, how many have you seen where they left the image processing on...maybe 1? It won't get used in reviews therefore no one will ever find out how good it is...

In every TV review that I've read they would test/try every feature the TV had, including image enhancing features. They then (usually) leave the image processing off for the rest of the review due to the negative artifacts most processors give. But they did at least Try the feature.
Edited by fleaman - 9/19/12 at 1:25pm
post #3655 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Lets play name the TV manufacturer that's already reverse engineering it.

Well, it's patented.
post #3656 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo23 View Post

The effect of the Darbee works in the system, however, whenever the Darbee is physically in the chain there are numerous “sparkles” that appear, most visibly in the blacks. They’re all over the frame, constantly popping on and off in random places – possibly a hundred at a time. The image is watchable ... but the added “noise” (or whatever it is) is not an acceptable trade-off for the benefit.

Thank you, Devo23, for posting this. You've saved me time in trying to describe what I'm seeing with the Darblet! I'm seeing red spaklies in black video space and sometimes dark blue sparklies in white video space. Odd thing is that they only began appearing after using the Darblet for about two hours. Prior to that point, all was working just fine. Since the sparklies just appeared late last night, I didn't spend too much time trying to figure out the problem. However, given that the sparklies remained regardless of whether I turned the Darbee processing on or off, I was suspecting a cabling issue. I just didn't understand why they'd appear all of a sudden when everything was working fine before.

For the record, I'm running HTPC (GT430) DVI > DVI/HDMI (6ft 24ga) > Darbee > HDMI/HDMI (25ft 22ga) > 720p DLP PJ.

I'm also seeing the sparklies on the default background for WMC7, so it's not just video. Otherwise, for the first two hours of watching recorded 1080i HDTV, the Darbee was performing great and I was really enjoying the effect!
post #3657 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

A simple yes / no isn't possible for the Guy? When Threads go long like this one, simple courtesies can mean a lot. And experience with the AVS Search feature can be "iffy" in any case, unless one knows how to refine a search using "Advanced" options.. (....although admittedly, it's better than it has been in the past....)

Some do not know about the search within a thread engine. Sometimes it's better to help ppl by giving them the tools to help themselves...it's always quicker to search then "wait" for a response. I would have been happy to provide the search results, but the links don't always work to search results when posted, so I've found that providing the appropriate search words is the best way to provide the help. I also find that sometimes we don't know, what we don't know...so using the search engine to research the answer provides additional information that may cover follow up questions the member hadn't thought about when formulating their first request for information.
post #3658 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by roknrol View Post

Thank you, Devo23, for posting this. You've saved me time in trying to describe what I'm seeing with the Darblet! I'm seeing red spaklies in black video space and sometimes dark blue sparklies in white video space. Odd thing is that they only began appearing after using the Darblet for about two hours. Prior to that point, all was working just fine. Since the sparklies just appeared late last night, I didn't spend too much time trying to figure out the problem. However, given that the sparklies remained regardless of whether I turned the Darbee processing on or off, I was suspecting a cabling issue. I just didn't understand why they'd appear all of a sudden when everything was working fine before.
For the record, I'm running HTPC (GT430) DVI > DVI/HDMI (6ft 24ga) > Darbee > HDMI/HDMI (25ft 22ga) > 720p DLP PJ.
I'm also seeing the sparklies on the default background for WMC7, so it's not just video. Otherwise, for the first two hours of watching recorded 1080i HDTV, the Darbee was performing great and I was really enjoying the effect!

Could be a DVI->HDMI issue??? different color bit rates/color spaces going on?
post #3659 of 7863
For those that are using this. Are you guys still calibrating your set? Just hook it up at whatever setting you want then calibrate or calibrate first then hook it up.
post #3660 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Some do not know about the search within a thread engine. Sometimes it's better to help ppl by giving them the tools to help themselves...it's always quicker to search then "wait" for a response. I would have been happy to provide the search results, but the links don't always work to search results when posted, so I've found that providing the appropriate search words is the best way to provide the help. I also find that sometimes we don't know, what we don't know...so using the search engine to research the answer provides additional information that may cover follow up questions the member hadn't thought about when formulating their first request for information.

Indeed. Just search 'lag' within this thread and it comes right up smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Darbee vision darblet