or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Darbee vision darblet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Darbee vision darblet - Page 196

post #5851 of 7863
Your question was answered a few posts up, but bottom line, the only difference is the absence of 3D support, and it passes that through without the need to take the Cobalt out of the line.

I will point out you can get the original for just $10 more at Solid Signal many days. (I do not work there or know them other than having bought from them)
post #5852 of 7863
Thanks for the confirmation, I had looked but was a bit confused if it was exactly the same minus the 3D. I took your advice and checked again and Solid Signal has an open-box Darblet for the $10 more you mentioned. Thanks!smile.gif
post #5853 of 7863
That's how I bought my second one, never a problem.
post #5854 of 7863
That's how I bought my first and only. Trouble-free.
post #5855 of 7863
Quote:
I will point out you can get the original for just $10 more at Solid Signal many days. (I do not work there or know them other than having bought from them)

Not $10 more than Amazon's new price of $244 for the Cobalt. Anybody know if that's a temporary thing or likely to continue?
post #5856 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Hemi View Post

Not $10 more than Amazon's new price of $244 for the Cobalt. Anybody know if that's a temporary thing or likely to continue?

Well... so now it's $25 more... still not much.
post #5857 of 7863
Alex, haven't seen a Cobalt perform and know zero about its electronics and programming. That said, most people on this thread would say go Darbee for all the dozens of reasons recited over these 200 pages. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
post #5858 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post

Alex, haven't seen a Cobalt perform and know zero about its electronics and programming. That said, most people on this thread would say go Darbee for all the dozens of reasons recited over these 200 pages. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

It's the same as the Darblet - the 3D.
post #5859 of 7863
Thanks for all the responses! I'm going to talk to the customer rep tomorrow and order the open box Darblet if it's still available then. They do say all sales are final but I searched "open box" on this thread and no one seems to have had any issues, so that's what I'll go for. I'll report back when I get it hooked up. I have only a 12 foot viewing distance so I probably will be able to see a difference quite easily! biggrin.gif
post #5860 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdad54 View Post

Thanks for all the responses! I'm going to talk to the customer rep tomorrow and order the open box Darblet if it's still available then. They do say all sales are final but I searched "open box" on this thread and no one seems to have had any issues, so that's what I'll go for. I'll report back when I get it hooked up. I have only a 12 foot viewing distance so I probably will be able to see a difference quite easily! biggrin.gif

FYI - I purchased an open box from Solid Signal. I'm sure there are other companies that sell "open box," as well.

I was concerned that if I had a problem, I'd be stuck. They said this - -"If it doesn't work because it's faulty, we'll replace it. You just can't return it because you don't like it!"

That closed the deal for me. And...my Darbee Darblet worked like a charm from the get go. It was packaged as if "new." I couldn't tell the difference and I've tried the Darbee before with my Samsung LCD/LED 65" TV. I ended up returning to Amazon because I really didn't see the difference in my picture on the LED.

The projector? Night and day. Some folks say using the Darbee Darblet is like "lifting the veil" off your projector. I like to think of it as going to the eye doctor and getting your eyes checked - - and if you need a correction - - one or two, three or four. That's it - - four works best! (The Darblet!) smile.gif
post #5861 of 7863
Playing around to see how the Darblet and Epson 6020 react to each other, in both 2D and 3D, using both Dish Network (720) and BluRay (1080) source material.

Still early in the process for me, but here are a couple thoughts in response to the PM's I've been getting asking what changes I see in the Epson's performance:

1. First take is that I'm starting to see the three processing options (HD, Gaming and Full Pop) as simply three different options that are not limited by the manufacturer's descriptions of what they do. They just seem to be three options to me, and what works "best" with any particular source material is still kind of a look and see exercise. I just don't think anyone should get hung up thinking that if you have a 1080p source, that the HD setting is necessarily the best option. It might be. It might not. Depends on content and personal preference. Fool around with all of them and don't get hung up on the names assigned to the three setting options.

2. The universal truth that I see is that the Darbee, even still clumsily operated by its new owner, adds significant detail and clarity benefits to virtually everything I watch. Yes it is often subtle, but the more you play around with it, the more you appreciate what it does. And what it does is not at all times a subtle improvement.

3. Which brings me to the Avatar 3D experience I had today. With all the CGI, I experimented more in Full Pop mode at a higher setting range (85) than I have typically used on other material. Wow. The impact was huge. Stunning depth and detail. Sort of the OMG thing you hope for, but don't dare expect. It was killer.

I went into this Darbee experiment with an open mind, as ready to be disappointed as pleased. I can already tell that I can't imagine not having the Darbee, and that it gives my projector a boost that I would only expect to see at a significantly higher price point.

Getting calibrated by Jeff Meier next week. More after that.
post #5862 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdad54 View Post

...
I have only a 12 foot viewing distance so I probably will be able to see a difference quite easily! biggrin.gif

It all depends on how big your screen is. Viewing distance is only half the information.
post #5863 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post

Playing around to see how the Darblet and Epson 6020 react to each other, in both 2D and 3D, using both Dish Network (720) and BluRay (1080) source material.

Still early in the process for me, but here are a couple thoughts in response to the PM's I've been getting asking what changes I see in the Epson's performance:

1. First take is that I'm starting to see the three processing options (HD, Gaming and Full Pop) as simply three different options that are not limited by the manufacturer's descriptions of what they do. They just seem to be three options to me, and what works "best" with any particular source material is still kind of a look and see exercise. I just don't think anyone should get hung up thinking that if you have a 1080p source, that the HD setting is necessarily the best option. It might be. It might not. Depends on content and personal preference. Fool around with all of them and don't get hung up on the names assigned to the three setting options.

2. The universal truth that I see is that the Darbee, even still clumsily operated by its new owner, adds significant detail and clarity benefits to virtually everything I watch. Yes it is often subtle, but the more you play around with it, the more you appreciate what it does. And what it does is not at all times a subtle improvement.

3. Which brings me to the Avatar 3D experience I had today. With all the CGI, I experimented more in Full Pop mode at a higher setting range (85) than I have typically used on other material. Wow. The impact was huge. Stunning depth and detail. Sort of the OMG thing you hope for, but don't dare expect. It was killer.

I went into this Darbee experiment with an open mind, as ready to be disappointed as pleased. I can already tell that I can't imagine not having the Darbee, and that it gives my projector a boost that I would only expect to see at a significantly higher price point.

Getting calibrated by Jeff Meier next week. More after that.

I would be curious to hear what Jeff has to say about the Darblet in your system. I read his blog about him testing it before, but he didn't end up raving about it nor did he keep it in his system. I had Jeff calibrate my Pioneer Kuro 141 a year ago & I've been tempted to give the Darblet a test drive.
post #5864 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

It all depends on how big your screen is. Viewing distance is only half the information.

I have a 92" Elite Sable ER92-WH1.
I'm very much a beginner at this having only done the WOW calibration at the s basic level but I thought I'd give the Darblet a try. after reading this thread....
post #5865 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdad54 View Post

I have a 92" Elite Sable ER92-WH1.
I'm very much a beginner at this having only done the WOW calibration at the s basic level but I thought I'd give the Darblet a try. after reading this thread....

Yup. It's quite amazing. I'm a fan of pixel-for-pixel, no "yuck" insertion video and the Darblet is the first processing device I've happily inserted in my chain. I make a distinction between "processing" and "calibration", however. I've been doing the whole calibration bit with a Radiance for a while.
post #5866 of 7863
mentioned thhis thing to a friend and of course he poo pooed it right away as another EE device that will show ringing, blah blah blah, I can't wait to bring it to his system and plug it in...
post #5867 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

2 Data points for darblet un-wanted re-set and display logo:

Turned on the HT, nothing unusual to the sequence, saw the logo....This happened last week (these photos) and again last night (no photos taken for that)




I have my darblet at the end of the signal chain, sitting atop my PJ as shown, the HDMI goes into it from my Denon 4520CI, then I use a 6' HDMI cable into my Sony VW60

This is an annoyance, and every time it happens I will post here and recommend others do so as data points for the manuf to study.
I work for an Auto OE and do realize the amount of HW/SW debugging needed for a robust product....for whatever reason the darblet is resetting itself w/o command from user, that is simply a bug in it and needs to be fixed.

Here it is 4 weeks later and all good until tonight, then my darblet reset itself again......adding another data point ....this is 3rd data point then in 4 weeks time.....now where is that tiny remote....
post #5868 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Yup. It's quite amazing. I'm a fan of pixel-for-pixel, no "yuck" insertion video and the Darblet is the first processing device I've happily inserted in my chain. I make a distinction between "processing" and "calibration", however. I've been doing the whole calibration bit with a Radiance for a while.
Maybe it's my being a noob but what is "no "yuck" insertion video"?......smile.gif
post #5869 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdad54 View Post

Maybe it's my being a noob but what is "no "yuck" insertion video"?......smile.gif

Ha... sorry... many purists consider video processing such as noise reduction, sharpening, and just general enhancements of all sorts to be "yuck" that we don't want inserted into our picture. I separated this out from the calibration processing I do because I consider processing to get correct gamma, grayscale and color to not be "yuck". Deinterlacing and scaling of NTSC to HD when necessary is also OK if nicely done. So, normally I'd consider the Darblet to be "yuck" processing. Except... I saw it demo'd at a fellow AVS'er's theater and my "yuck" turned to "wow". Now I have one and am pleased as punch with my outlay for it.
post #5870 of 7863
That certainly is the overwhelming feelings of others here who would consider themselves purists, or at the least not normally attracted to devices like this.
post #5871 of 7863
Will 4K require a redesigned model?
post #5872 of 7863
My Darbee did a reset again last night, ugh, why is the factory default to display the logo???

Hello, can I get this fixed?
Is anything being done on the product side?


Sent from my 32GB iPhone4 using Tapatalk
post #5873 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano18 View Post

I would be curious to hear what Jeff has to say about the Darblet in your system. I read his blog about him testing it before, but he didn't end up raving about it nor did he keep it in his system. I had Jeff calibrate my Pioneer Kuro 141 a year ago & I've been tempted to give the Darblet a test drive.

He'll be in Saturday and I'll post his comments once I've got things sorted.
post #5874 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

Will 4K require a redesigned model?

You mean a new unit and not just a fw upgrade? I'd say chances are pretty close to 100%.
post #5875 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

My Darbee did a reset again last night, ugh, why is the factory default to display the logo???

Well, on the plus side, seeing the logo is a very quick indication that something is wrong and needs to be adjusted.
post #5876 of 7863
Quote:
... many purists consider video processing such as noise reduction, sharpening, and just general enhancements of all sorts to be "yuck" that we don't want inserted into our picture. I separated this out from the calibration processing I do because I consider processing to get correct gamma, grayscale and color to not be "yuck". Deinterlacing and scaling of NTSC to HD when necessary is also OK if nicely done. So, normally I'd consider the Darblet to be "yuck" processing. Except... I saw it demo'd at a fellow AVS'er's theater and my "yuck" turned to "wow". Now I have one and am pleased as punch with my outlay for it.

Nice way of putting it. I like my Darbee - one of the most interesting items I've added to my theater in the last 5 years!
post #5877 of 7863
I don't think I've ever had a device give so much bang for so little buck.
post #5878 of 7863
Just now got HD cable service from Comcast and the DVR seems to have an issue with my Darbee or vice-versa. The sound will go on and off but I'm unable to get any sort of picture. I tried different cable configs to no avail. Works just fine without the Darbee in the chain. A search of this thread told me I'm not alone in this regard so there may be a little comfort there.
Is there a fix? I have the oldest version firmware wise.
My receiver is a Pioneer Elite so I could use the Darblet for blu-ray using the second hdmi out but then I would need to change the inputs on my display each time. I also would prefer not having to buy another pair of hdmi cables not to mention enduring the looks I'm going to get from my wife when I tell her why we have to do this.tongue.gif

Edit: Problem solved by replacing the Motorola DCT 34xx, which looked like a dog bone, with the smaller better looking DCX 34xx. So now my Darblet is back at the end of the chain where it belongs.smile.gif
Edited by fishinbob - 6/25/13 at 6:03am
post #5879 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Well, on the plus side, seeing the logo is a very quick indication that something is wrong and needs to be adjusted.

Good point.
post #5880 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbob View Post

Just now got HD cable service from Comcast and the DVR seems to have an issue with my Darbee or vice-versa. The sound will go on and off but I'm unable to get any sort of picture. I tried different cable configs to no avail. Works just fine without the Darbee in the chain. A search of this thread told me I'm not alone in this regard so there may be a little comfort there.
Is there a fix? I have the oldest version firmware wise.
My receiver is a Pioneer Elite so I could use the Darblet for blu-ray using the second hdmi out but then I would need to change the inputs on my display each time. I also would prefer not having to buy another pair of hdmi cables not to mention enduring the looks I'm going to get from my wife when I tell her why we have to do this.tongue.gif


What is the length of the HDMI cables your using? seems a lot of people were reporting problems with 3" HDMI cables...iif that is the case with you,try 6'cables..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Darbee vision darblet