or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Darbee vision darblet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Darbee vision darblet - Page 206

post #6151 of 7863
Welp! just pulled the trigger on a new darbee, i found a canadian supplier that for some great reason has it for
$2 lower than amazon US.
post #6152 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Gosselin View Post

Welp! just pulled the trigger on a new darbee, i found a canadian supplier that for some great reason has it for
$2 lower than amazon US.

Congrats! You're going to love it.
post #6153 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Gosselin View Post

Welp! just pulled the trigger on a new darbee, i found a canadian supplier that for some great reason has it for
$2 lower than amazon US.

Acoustic technologies ?
post #6154 of 7863
$2.00..WOW ..that impressive savings amount was the key to your pulling the trigger for this amazing little product?wink.gif
post #6155 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly Fire View Post

Sure. I was referring to price point and models available. 4K flat screens are popping up from several OEMs -- to date
there is the one Sony projector with true 4K aimed at our market, and it is well above my budget. I would consider breaking the
bank and going for it, but the Sony doesn't support HDMI 2.0, the color depth standard for 4K is apparently still being discussed,
and in 3-4 years projectors will be $4-5000 with better specs.

JVC has their wobbulation 4K, but ironically when true 4K arrives, the JVCs will not play it.

Good point! I am looking forward in five years to upgrading my very first projector (BenQ W1080ST - Short Throw) to a 4K projector and a nicer screen.

Had I known that my first projector would look this good - - I would have spent more on the screen as opposed to the FAVI $149.00 Electric Screen (100" Diagonal - 1.3 gain) that I initially bought. Even though it curls up at the edges (gets better the longer it is down) - - the Darblet in combo with the PJ is awesome!

Here's hoping that BenQ (or whoever) in five years time - - will have a short throw, 4K projector in the $2K to $3K range. It's possible. For under a grand - - you can get a W1070 BenQ.

Who would have thought five years ago that you could get a short throw, 1080P, 1080i "3D" projector for $1,099.00? It really makes me look forward to the advanced technology and new 4K products in the future.

This is addicting. What - - every five years - - A/V & Projector/TV upgrade? At least my speakers (Paradigm including the beastly CC-690) will stay the same!
post #6156 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

...
Here's hoping that BenQ (or whoever) in five years time - - will have a short throw, 4K projector in the $2K to $3K range. It's possible. For under a grand - - you can get a W1070 BenQ.

Who would have thought five years ago that you could get a short throw, 1080P, 1080i "3D" projector for $1,099.00? It really makes me look forward to the advanced technology and new 4K products in the future.

This is addicting. What - - every five years - - A/V & Projector/TV upgrade? At least my speakers (Paradigm including the beastly CC-690) will stay the same!

Remember Sony's Quaila, not even a decade ago, was the first consumer level 1080p projector... $29,000! So, yes, I too believe the price of 4k will come down in short order. I mean, it's starting out less than 1080p did in non-inflation adjusted dollars.
post #6157 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post

$2.00..WOW ..that impressive savings amount was the key to your pulling the trigger for this amazing little product?wink.gif

Don't forget we're in CANADA over here, yes up here wink.gif

I think that was his point.. (when you order from the US you end up paying more shipping, customs fees, taxes... it never ends, like I said, that's Canada tongue.gif )
post #6158 of 7863
eh?
post #6159 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

Acoustic technologies ?
yes, its a great deal for the current going rate, cheap shipping and no customs.
post #6160 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post

$2.00..WOW ..that impressive savings amount was the key to your pulling the trigger for this amazing little product?wink.gif
is an amazing deal in Canada, if I bought from amazon it would cost over $400 with shipping and customs. 317 $ +$14 shipping sounded good to me. Canada eh
post #6161 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Gosselin View Post

yes, its a great deal for the current going rate, cheap shipping and no customs.

Yeah, that's where I got mine also ! biggrin.gifcool.gif
post #6162 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

Yeah, that's where I got mine also ! biggrin.gifcool.gif
totally off topic but... GO SENS GO!
post #6163 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post

He'll be in Saturday and I'll post his comments once I've got things sorted.


Any feedback from Jeff/Final thoughts? Thanks!! My Panny 58VT25 was already calibrated by UMR and I have the Darblet in the mix. Love it, but curious about setting recommendations from him etc. I keep moving between about 40-55 HD/Game.


Thanks!!
post #6164 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthkringle View Post

Any feedback from Jeff/Final thoughts?

Hey DK,

Jeff came in as scheduled, but we only got to talk about the Darblet, not actually play with it -- I was still working through the stability issues described above, so the Darbee was not yet back in service.

Based on his general comments, I think Jeff was initially intrigued by the Darbee. Then he began to experience some of the signal stability issues that a few of us encounter, and when that happened, he hit the eject button and took it out.

My HTS is nowhere near the reference level HTS he has. I use an Epson 6020 and throw at a 110" screen. Jeff uses a much more sophisticated pj and throws at a much smaller screen.

Since my image is much softer than what he gets, so the Darblet is probably more of a "must have" in my HTS than it ever could be in his. But given his insanely acute eye, it would have been fun to have him observe what the Darblet does in my room and hear him react to that.

I'm not hating on the 6020. I think it's terrific at its price point. Jeff did do. (Check out his blog comments.) I just think someone with an HTS like mine may have a bigger window of opportunity for the Darblet than somebody with an HTS like Jeff's.

That may be an interesting question. There's been a bunch of posting in this thread along the lines of "the better the source, the more the Darblet can do." I wonder if the reverse is generally true in terms of native display sharpness?
post #6165 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post

...
That may be an interesting question. There's been a bunch of posting in this thread along the lines of "the better the source, the more the Darblet can do." I wonder if the reverse is generally true in terms of native display sharpness?

Seeing the Darbee in action on a fellow member's JVC RS55 is what sold me on it. But the effect with e-shift on was a marked improvement over that with it off. Overall, e-shift makes the picture appear sharper. Whether it actually is or not is another matter.

So, my input is, the Darbee makes a much bigger improvement on a display that at least appears sharper. In fact, I can hardly wait until I can afford an e-shift equipped projector. The combo of the RS55 with e-shift and the Darbee was pretty danged awesome!
post #6166 of 7863
I have used Darblet for most of my clients (they buy the Darblet from various sources as I am not a store) and not only if the source is better the end result will be better, but if the projector is better it will yield an even better result.

The last install I did was running BDP-S5100 Sony BD player, playing Mastered in 4K Total Recall BD (at 34.8mbps), through the Darblet and to the Sony VPL-HW1000ES (upscaled to 4K with its internal scaler). Then we did an A/B comparison with the native 4K signal from the server directly fed to the projector. It is virtually impossible to tell which is which.
post #6167 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

I have used Darblet for most of my clients (they buy the Darblet from various sources as I am not a store) and not only if the source is better the end result will be better, but if the projector is better it will yield an even better result.

The last install I did was running BDP-S5100 Sony BD player, playing Mastered in 4K Total Recall BD (at 34.8mbps), through the Darblet and to the Sony VPL-HW1000ES (upscaled to 4K with its internal scaler). Then we did an A/B comparison with the native 4K signal from the server directly fed to the projector. It is virtually impossible to tell which is which.

That's amazing... though if you look at the angle of view charts about where the benefits of 4k become apparent, maybe it's not that surprising. Maybe with upscaled 2k-> true 4k with a Darblet[/B in the chain we're getting to the point of having to look far closer than even the closest seating distance to see any difference. Magnifying glasses anyone? smile.gif
post #6168 of 7863
That doesn't explain, however, when I play the regular TR disc (16 Mbps) direct to the projector, both of us can always tell the difference which one is upscaled and which one is native.

My client use a 100" 16:9 screen viewed from 8ft away, btw.
post #6169 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

...My client use a 100" 16:9 screen viewed from 8ft away, btw....

that's nutz lol. I am envious biggrin.gif
Full field viewing right there almost.
post #6170 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post


My client use a 100" 16:9 screen viewed from 8ft away, btw.

Damnnn eek.gifbiggrin.gifcool.gif
post #6171 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

That doesn't explain, however, when I play the regular TR disc (16 Mbps) direct to the projector, both of us can always tell the difference which one is upscaled and which one is native.

My client use a 100" 16:9 screen viewed from 8ft away, btw.

Yes, that's really interesting.

I've happily moved up to the front row with my Darbee. I sit 10' back from a 10' wide 16:9 SMX AT screen and I'm lovin' it!
post #6172 of 7863
^ There's a bigger 'DAYUM' for you! smile.gif
post #6173 of 7863
I have a 159" screen. I sit approx 12ft back. Love it! Whenever I tell someone how big my screen is they always doubt that the picture can still be good. When they actually see it in person, they're AMAZED.
post #6174 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

^ There's a bigger 'DAYUM' for you! smile.gif

Yeah... I haven't gone to the theater since 2007! My wife is trying to get me to go see the new Start Trek in a commercial theater because she doesn't want to wait for it to come out on BD. I may go... just to experience Dolby Atmos... something we won't have in our homes until... well... maybe never?
post #6175 of 7863
Hopefully you'll all invite me over for some demo flicks sometime smile.gif
post #6176 of 7863
are people using an A-lens with the darblet? I have an older panamorph lens paired with a JVC RS20, and the darblet is now a 'must have', now that I aquired a lens....anyone else with a lens feel the same???
post #6177 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

are people using an A-lens with the darblet? I have an older panamorph lens paired with a JVC RS20, and the darblet is now a 'must have', now that I aquired a lens....anyone else with a lens feel the same???

I am using a Panamorph UH380 with a JVC RS45 and the Darbee effect (set at 55% all the time) between the regular 16:9 screen and the 2.40:1 (with lens in) looks the same to me....GREAT! Of course once I widen the picture to the full 124" wide screen the Darbee effect seems more drastic because the picture is a LOT larger!
post #6178 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSport View Post

I am using a Panamorph UH380 with a JVC RS45 and the Darbee effect (set at 55% all the time) between the regular 16:9 screen and the 2.40:1 (with lens in) looks the same to me....GREAT! Of course once I widen the picture to the full 124" wide screen the Darbee effect seems more drastic because the picture is a LOT larger!

I am using the darblet with a Panamorph U480 lens coupled to a EPSON 6020ub projector, viewed on a 12X5 feet 2.4:1 Stewart, StudioTek 130 screen. My Blu-Ray player is a OPPO 103. All done in a dedicated Home Theater room. Excellent picture.
post #6179 of 7863
Hi all, I have a question regarding the Darbee. I have been sitting on the fence forever really, and was just about to pull the trigger when Sony released their 2013 range of LCD TV's.

The reason I'm bringing this up, is because those TV's as well as the 4K sets support wide colour ranges, well beyond REC.709, and even xvYCC. From what I hear, there is some hardware/software bugs which have never been fixed with the Darbee regarding colour spaces. Is this true, and does anyone know if their is going to actually be a fix made available, or a new version of the Darbee to handle wide colour spaces?
post #6180 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy88 View Post

...

The reason I'm bringing this up, is because those TV's as well as the 4K sets support wide colour ranges, well beyond REC.709, and even xvYCC. From what I hear, there is some hardware/software bugs which have never been fixed with the Darbee regarding colour spaces. Is this true, and does anyone know if their is going to actually be a fix made available, or a new version of the Darbee to handle wide colour spaces?

The other direction to look at this from is to ask what sources will you have to play that have colors beyond REC 709?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Darbee vision darblet