or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Darbee vision darblet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Darbee vision darblet - Page 212

post #6331 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

So my first post should have been written better. When you try to run a redmere cable into the Darbee and then another redmere cable from the Darbee to the display this will not work. I was referring to a post done by Big Daddy over on another forum who witness this quirk when he tried to use two redmere cables in and out of the Darbee 

I have 2 Darbees both fed by 6' Redmere cables with 6' Redmere cables going from the Darbees to a Lumagen Radiance. 6' Redmere from Radiance to display. NO problems whatsoever as long as you make sure you configure the source and display ends correctly.
post #6332 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

So my first post should have been written better. When you try to run a redmere cable into the Darbee and then another redmere cable from the Darbee to the display this will not work. I was referring to a post done by Big Daddy over on another forum who witness this quirk when he tried to use two redmere cables in and out of the Darbee 
Redmere are the only cables I use. All sources to AVR, AVR to Radiance, Radiance to Darblet, Darblet to display. No issues at all with the Redmere cables at the input and output of the Darblet.
post #6333 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post


I have 2 Darbees both fed by 6' Redmere cables with 6' Redmere cables going from the Darbees to a Lumagen Radiance. 6' Redmere from Radiance to display. NO problems whatsoever as long as you make sure you configure the source and display ends correctly.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post


Redmere are the only cables I use. All sources to AVR, AVR to Radiance, Radiance to Darblet, Darblet to display. No issues at all with the Redmere cables at the input and output of the Darblet.

Well then I stand corrected. smile.gif

post #6334 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Just got my open box DVP 5000 in, works great.

SW Version is 2.8.2214
FW Version is 1.3.21

Same version here, and I got my unit almost a year ago (8/17/12 to be precise).
post #6335 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

... The HDMI problem is another story. I like the Darbee processing enough to stay at it a while longer ... the only thing I can think of would be to get a 12' ladder and try mounting it on top of the projector, with a 3 foot run to the Z30K ...
There is a bunch of commentary on this thread and elsewhere suggesting that anything shorter than a 5 foot HDMI run can cause problems. So if you are going to go the extra mile (or ten), that may be a guide point worth considering. I spent weeks tweaking for a stable stream. Finally got there. So worth the effort in my room, hope you can make it work in yours. Good luck.
post #6336 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Redmere cables do not work with a Darbee in the chain that I know of. They are designed to go from source to display and the Darbee breaks that connection.
Not sure what you mean by that. Redmere was a key to solving my signal drop issues. All sources all run to Pioneer VSX1120, from there to Darblet, from Darblet via 40 foot Redmere to Epson 6020. Redmere to the Epson is the only powered run. All are minimum 5'. Rock solid now. Tom at Darbee helped design the fix. Goes without saying that each of our situations is unique, and it's hard to lay down black letter rules on what will work and what will not.
post #6337 of 7863
FYI - I'm sure all experiences can be different with the Darblet - - but regarding HDMI "handshake" issues and lengths of HDMI cable run - - there are two things that really helped me address these issues with my setup.

1. HDMI 1 "Out" from my Pioneer SC65 receiver only (for both displays - 65" Samsung LCD/LED & BenQ W1080ST projector). Previously, I tried to use HDMI 2 "Out" from my receiver for the projector, only, and that caused a lot of problems (HDMI handshake issues).

2. Adding a Monoprice Splitter/Amplifier that I believe boosted the signal to my projector (only a 20 foot run) that enabled me to keep everything on HDMI 1 "Out" from my A/V Receiver.

Lastly - - about the "resetting" of the Darblet on its own - - which has happened to me once. I think the poster that said that if you messed around with the Darblet a lot - - by changing the percentages or viewing choices (Hi Def, Gaming, Full Pop) - - it is more prone to "resetting" on its own is right on.

I've just left mine at 50% - Hi Def - - without changing anything and have put the remote in the drawer. Since it's always "on" for both displays, I can easily see from the lights on the unit if it is working or not. (Plus the fantastic picture!)
post #6338 of 7863
So I got my darblet yesterday and hooked it up. I only have one movie with it so far(Jack the Giant Killer) and just put it on HD 50%....toggled on and off or demo mode and I definitely like the enhancements it gives.......depth and contrast and hints of detail. I'm still waiting on carpet to finalize my HT room and move everything in. Right now I just have my low end Panny Blu player in there. Final system will be Oppo 105
> 3 ft. redmere to darblet
>50 ft. inwall redmere to 5020UB. I only had 1 handshake drop last night and it seemed to happen when put into demo mode and then never happened again when using demo, changing modes or settings.
post #6339 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

FYI - I'm sure all experiences can be different with the Darblet - - but regarding HDMI "handshake" issues and lengths of HDMI cable run - - there are two things that really helped me address these issues with my setup.

1. HDMI 1 "Out" from my Pioneer SC65 receiver only (for both displays - 65" Samsung LCD/LED & BenQ W1080ST projector). Previously, I tried to use HDMI 2 "Out" from my receiver for the projector, only, and that caused a lot of problems (HDMI handshake issues).

2. Adding a Monoprice Splitter/Amplifier that I believe boosted the signal to my projector (only a 20 foot run) that enabled me to keep everything on HDMI 1 "Out" from my A/V Receiver.

Lastly - - about the "resetting" of the Darblet on its own - - which has happened to me once. I think the poster that said that if you messed around with the Darblet a lot - - by changing the percentages or viewing choices (Hi Def, Gaming, Full Pop) - - it is more prone to "resetting" on its own is right on.

I've just left mine at 50% - Hi Def - - without changing anything and have put the remote in the drawer. Since it's always "on" for both displays, I can easily see from the lights on the unit if it is working or not. (Plus the fantastic picture!)

Whether or not you change settings often on your Darbee, makes absolutely no difference on whether it suffers from the Auto reset issue....
post #6340 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post


Whether or not you change settings often on your Darbee, makes absolutely no difference on whether it suffers from the Auto reset issue....

My experience differs.  My Darbee has reset a handful of times, each time I was quickly switching between modes and percentages...many times within a few minutes.  It has never reset outside of those times.

post #6341 of 7863
^ My (one week old) Darby would reset randomly when changing between four preset sound modes on my AVR (the AVR essentially forcing a HDMI handshake).
This and other problems, documented earlier in this thread left me with only but one choice...I sent it back.

My overall impression was it was not ready for (my) prime time.

I did like the effect, but it did not maintain a level of stability that myself and my family could endure...
Edited by pieandchips - 6/20/13 at 6:41pm
post #6342 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

My experience differs.  My Darbee has reset a handful of times, each time I was quickly switching between modes and percentages...many times within a few minutes.  It has never reset outside of those times.

Many of the people that have reported the reset have stated that they noticed it just when they powered on their systems and were making no prior changes or adjustments to the Darbee.... It is what it is... an unfortunate glitch that can happen at any time and hopefully Darbee is working to provide a fix for those affected by it.
post #6343 of 7863
I had one reset within one year of use.....It was when I was turning on the Wii, and just pushing inputs left and right on the receiver to find the right input 'game'. Other than that, It has been awesome cool.gif
post #6344 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

Darbee update:
Break for Father's Day trip, back on it.
Good news and bad. I solved the remote issue, must have been something loose as I redid everything and it started to respond. That part is working fine..
The HDMI problem is another story. By leaving the unit powered on, I can get it to work, but I have video "dropouts" with Blu-ray and DVD source. It seems to work fine with DTV...I have a distribution amp feeding 3 different displays. I'm guessing that boosts the signal enough so that it works OK with DTV. Just to make sure, I unhooked everything and took it out of the circuit. No dropouts.
I have the output from the AVR to a new 6' Mediabridge HDMI cable, then the Darbee, then a new 50' Mediabridge HDMI, to the Z30K.
I like the Darbee processing enough to stay at it a while longer.
I'm not sure what to try next. The only thing I can think of would be to get a 12' ladder and try mounting it on top of the projector, with a 3 foot run to the Z30K.
It's way up there (cathedral ceiling). I'll block out some time this week and give it a try...

Well,
It's all good.
I got a 12 foot ladder and mounted the Darbee above the Z30K.
So it's AVR to 50' inwall HDMI to Darbee to 6' HDMI to projector. So far, so good... All sources seem to be drop out free. smile.gif
Thanks to everyone here and a particular shout out to Moose and Stuart at Solid Signal. It was nice to talk to people who have an interest in what they sell. I even got an email back from Larry at Darbeevision...
They were very helpful in working with me to help resolve the problems. Excellent customer service! I can't recommend them enough. biggrin.gif
Edited by humbland - 6/24/13 at 9:42am
post #6345 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

It's all good ... drop out free ... excellent customer service ... can't recommend them enough.

Nice Humbland, glad you made it, and I hope anyone else with the "can't change the long run" scenario finds your recent posts.
post #6346 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

It was nice to talk to people who have an interest in what they sell. I even got an email back from Larry Darbee...
They were very helpful in working with me to help resolve the problems. Excellent customer service! I can't recommend them enough. biggrin.gif

Great stuff, good on them ! cool.gif
post #6347 of 7863
what did they do to Darbee Vision website? It's awful, and I was trying to show someone over the net how this thing works....now it's just a side by side video game.....I miss the still pics that were on there frown.gif
post #6348 of 7863
The following is a quote from Larry Pace at Darbeevision in an email trying to help. It says a lot about the product when the company takes the time to assist ...
"The Darblet does not have a power switch. The DC 5V power to the processor board is On when plugged in, Off when unplugged.
The Darblet's processing Modes, Settings, Demo and OSD access are controlled by the remote control.
While we do not usually recommend specific products, here is a IR extender product that is a potentially compatible device. I cannot verify its compatibility yet."
http://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Receiver-Extender-Description-Compatibility/dp/B002JSDHCY%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJ7VMODKUTIUWFY2Q%26tag%3Davsforum00-thr-mcb-lo-t-d-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB002JSDHCY

Hope it helps someone...
Now, on with the show.
smile.gif
post #6349 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

what did they do to Darbee Vision website? It's awful, and I was trying to show someone over the net how this thing works....now it's just a side by side video game.....I miss the still pics that were on there frown.gif

The Salt Labs site has a great HD video that shows off the effect very well. They also have some still photos that you can slide back and forth to show the before and after ...

http://saltlabs.net/ocule.aspx
post #6350 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

The Salt Labs site has a great HD video that shows off the effect very well. They also have some still photos that you can slide back and forth to show the before and after ...

http://saltlabs.net/ocule.aspx

Never went up to 70 on the darbee but that sure looks like the sweet spot in this video.
post #6351 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

Never went up to 70 on the darbee but that sure looks like the sweet spot in this video.

I personally find 70% to be a bit too high for normal program material, but it certainly makes it easy to see the before and after.
post #6352 of 7863
hi guys,one question,i have a darbee between my oppo 103 and my 60f8500 Samsung plasma,i can select some output settings on my oppo like RGB/4:4:4/4:2:2 which one I should select? thanks
post #6353 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBR View Post

hi guys,one question,i have a darbee between my oppo 103 and my 60f8500 Samsung plasma,i can select some output settings on my oppo like RGB/4:4:4/4:2:2 which one I should select? thanks

Auto

post #6354 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

Never went up to 70 on the darbee but that sure looks like the sweet spot in this video.

It's been said before, but the effect is clearly (Darbee humor) dependent upon the source material. They have an excellent 1080p video to work with. If you have less resolution going in, then the Darbee needs to be "dialed down" to compensate... Since most (me included) don't want to play with it, it seems like a compromise "set and forget" in the mid range is best.
It would be interesting to take a poll here and see what figure is most popular. It's probably display dependent. My hunch is that the bigger the screen, the higher the number...
post #6355 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

Never went up to 70 on the darbee but that sure looks like the sweet spot in this video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

I personally find 70% to be a bit too high for normal program material, but it certainly makes it easy to see the before and after.

I can go up to 70 for VERY clean BDs, 55-65 for other BDs, and 55-60 for 1080i HDTV (that's actually 1080p when it gets to the Darblet, via HQV Vida in Onkyo 809), all Hi-Def Mode of course cool.gif
post #6356 of 7863
It seems counter-intuitive to me to use a high HD setting for a 'very clean' Blu-ray. The better the picture the less the need for the Darbee to add any processing. I've got a 120" screen and use HD 40%, anything more especially with great looking Blu-rays adds too much detail. I posted several screen shots a few months using the Battleship movie Blu-ray set to HD zero, HD 50 and HD 120. Too much Darbee makes people's complexions look too detailed and is uncomplimentary to both male and female. I know much of this is dependent on individual setups but there is no way I could watch a movie set to HD 70%.
post #6357 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

It seems counter-intuitive to me to use a high HD setting for a 'very clean' Blu-ray. The better the picture the less the need for the Darbee to add any processing. I've got a 120" screen and use HD 40%, anything more especially with great looking Blu-rays adds too much detail. I posted several screen shots a few months using the Battleship movie Blu-ray set to HD zero, HD 50 and HD 120. Too much Darbee makes people's complexions look too detailed and is uncomplimentary to both male and female. I know much of this is dependent on individual setups but there is no way I could watch a movie set to HD 70%.

I tried HD 70% while watching a 3rd season episode of Star Trek: TNG, and Riker looked somewhat like Toshiro Mifune in Throne of Blood.
post #6358 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

It seems counter-intuitive to me to use a high HD setting for a 'very clean' Blu-ray. The better the picture the less the need for the Darbee to add any processing. I've got a 120" screen and use HD 40%, anything more especially with great looking Blu-rays adds too much detail. I posted several screen shots a few months using the Battleship movie Blu-ray set to HD zero, HD 50 and HD 120. Too much Darbee makes people's complexions look too detailed and is uncomplimentary to both male and female. I know much of this is dependent on individual setups but there is no way I could watch a movie set to HD 70%.

Not really. The Darbee makes anything clean look better, anything bad look worse.

It's not noise reduction were talking about here, that's completely different than what the Darbee does. Your logic would work for noise reduction but not the Darbee..

And full blast 120, c'mon man, who in their right mind wound ever use that..
post #6359 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

I tried HD 70% while watching a 3rd season episode of Star Trek: TNG, and Riker looked somewhat like Toshiro Mifune in Throne of Blood.

No clue what you're referring to here.
post #6360 of 7863
After owning 4 Darblets and 50% of my 2012 clients use Darblets, I still don't understand the 100%-120% range is for.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Darbee vision darblet