or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Darbee vision darblet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Darbee vision darblet - Page 228

post #6811 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsgoodrecord View Post

does anybody know what does the advance settings do? it says fine control- 1 percent adjustment. should it be on or off?


It's up to you.... turn it on to get finer(1%) increments of adjustment. Otherwise, the adjustments will increment in 5 percent steps....which is probably easier to use during initial setup to get your baseline settings. Then you can turn on Fine Control to really fine tune it if needed.....
post #6812 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsgoodrecord View Post

does anybody know what does the advance settings do? it says fine control- 1 percent adjustment. should it be on or off?
Would depend if 1% increments are visually needed for eliminating the smallest artifact keeping the optimum calibration strength setting for a sweet-spot. For my 65" plasma, sitting 12 ft back, the 5% increments default is fine/acceptable for averaging the effectiveness of my chair group sitting area.
post #6813 of 7856
I just discovered something with my Darbee over the weekend. While watching a lot of NCAA and NFL football, I switched the setting to Games at 50%. What an amazing improvement it made on that setting (which was already great at HD 50%). The color fidelity and lifelike imagery became like "being there". Awesome! The doesn't work as well with Blu-Ray movies IMO. Because I found it induces some White Balance clipping. I watch Blu-Ray movies on HD 30%. And it seems just perfect. But Games @50 really created the wow factor on the sports broadcasts. I guess there is no limit to how one can tweak this device to improve any video format. The Darblet 5000 is hands down the best video accessory I ever purchased. For those who are on the fence...Solid Signal is having a great sale on it right now.

http://www.solidsignal.com/Deal-Of-The-Day.asp?roi=echo4-23831682536-24097930-23407690e5391863e7052dff72d575f8&txtDDEmail=EMAILADDRESS&utm_campaign=email_dailydeal_darby&utm_medium=email&utm_source=bluehornet&location=02
post #6814 of 7856
Ive been watching all my sd dvds at gaming 48 and its pretty amazing.Not Blu-Ray but on a good transfer its pretty damn close.
post #6815 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

I've been enjoying my darbee darblet for blu ray viewing for a while now. I'll be adding a tivo roamio strictly for ota viewing in the next couple of days and would like to add the darbee to enhance the pic quality. My set is a panasonic 65ST50. Is there some kind of an input switch/ splitter that can make this work for me or am I doomed into purchasing a second darbee darblet?

Thanks!

I bought this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

It works just fine with all four of my sources, daisy-chaining two Darblets.
post #6816 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

It's up to you.... turn it on to get finer(1%) increments of adjustment. Otherwise, the adjustments will increment in 5 percent steps....which is probably easier to use during initial setup to get your baseline settings. Then you can turn on Fine Control to really fine tune it if needed.....
oh ok,silly me. understood,tks deano86 and Paul H
post #6817 of 7856
I recive my darbee today and iam pretty happy with it, this is what i looking for , and thank you for your information, and finally i recommende it for all wanna ehnence is picture quality, its a good product.
post #6818 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

I've been enjoying my darbee darblet for blu ray viewing for a while now. I'll be adding a tivo roamio strictly for ota viewing in the next couple of days and would like to add the darbee to enhance the pic quality. My set is a panasonic 65ST50. Is there some kind of an input switch/ splitter that can make this work for me or am I doomed into purchasing a second darbee darblet?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

I bought this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

It works just fine with all four of my sources, daisy-chaining two Darblets.



Thanks. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm better off with a splitter or a switch and the specs I should closely look at. For example does it need its own ac adapter, hdmi pass thru or other important features? A lot of the splitters/ switchers out there are for hdtvs with limited hdmi ports so I'm worried that my choices might be limited if Iam not careful. I'm also limited on what I can spend on one after the ungodly expense on the tivo roamio and lifetime service. I'm looking at a couple of cheaper options on Amazon for the time being like this one here and here. Anyone else have any tips/pointers for me on what I should look out for and the pros and cons of owning one?
Edited by Chere - 9/11/13 at 2:13am
post #6819 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

I've been enjoying my darbee darblet for blu ray viewing for a while now. I'll be adding a tivo roamio strictly for ota viewing in the next couple of days and would like to add the darbee to enhance the pic quality. My set is a panasonic 65ST50. Is there some kind of an input switch/ splitter that can make this work for me or am I doomed into purchasing a second darbee darblet?

Thanks!

I've been using this 1X2 powered HDMI splitter for 3 years. I've been using it for the last 3 months with my Darbee w/o any PQ problems.

It does take 10 seconds or so longer when I change inputs for the picture to reappear.

AVR > Darbee > HDMI Splitter > > 6' to TV and 35' to Projector.

Sewell has other splitters to choose from also.

http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-HDMI-1x2-Splitter-v13b.asp
post #6820 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

Thanks. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm better off with a splitter or a switch and the specs I should closely look at.

If you would describe your video chain, it would make it easier to help. Most of us are directing multiple sources through a single Darbee without the necessity of a stand alone switch or splitter. Are you using an AVR?
post #6821 of 7856
You're right. My setup is actually quite simple: Panasonic 65ST50-> Panasonic BD-T220 bluray player-> Darbee. I'll be adding the Base Tivo Roamio DVR hopefully sometime tomorrow. I have No AVR or any surround sound setup for the time being although I'd like whatever splitter/ switcher I'll end up purchasing to be as future proof as possible for such a system.
post #6822 of 7856
Has anyone used the Darbee in conjunction with an OPPO 103 and if so what has been your experience? At Sharpness setting of +1 on the OPPO, the picture appears to brittle for me.
post #6823 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE MORRILL View Post

Has anyone used the Darbee in conjunction with an OPPO 103 and if so what has been your experience? At Sharpness setting of +1 on the OPPO, the picture appears to brittle for me.

 

I have the 103 with sharpness at the default setting running through a Denon 4311ci then into the Darbee then into a Sharp Quattron™ 70". The wife and I like the picture very much and could not go back to watching it without the Darbee in the chain. I am usually around 60% HD setting on Blu-ray movies.


Edited by hometheatergeek - 9/12/13 at 12:50pm
post #6824 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE MORRILL View Post

Has anyone used the Darbee in conjunction with an OPPO 103 and if so what has been your experience? At Sharpness setting of +1 on the OPPO, the picture appears to brittle for me.

I have the OPPO 103 with a Pioneer AVR SC65 (preamp mode) with a Monoprice HDMI splitter/amplifier and I get great results with both my Samsung 65" LCD/LED and BenQ W1080st projector - - with a 100" Diagonal 16 X 9 screen.

I tried the +1 setting on the OPPO and the picture was way too harsh. The AVR has processing (Marvel QDEO) and so does the OPPO 103. I've left both processing modes on without any trouble with the Darblet - - which is set at 50% HD. Fabulous picture.
post #6825 of 7856
Another fine review. This is from HD Guru:
http://hdguru.com/darbeevision-darblet-hdtv-dvp-5000-review/
post #6826 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

Another fine review. This is from HD Guru:
http://hdguru.com/darbeevision-darblet-hdtv-dvp-5000-review/

Another review that seems good until you reach the verdict.
Quote:
Do you need the Darbee Visual Presence DVP 5000 ? That depends on what you intend to use it for. If you’ve already got a perfectionist video setup and watch mostly Blu-ray discs, then buying one to enhance that experience—maybe to make things look more like 4K!—is a course of action that I wouldn’t recommend. (Blu-ray viewed on a well-tuned 1080p display is already a fairly amazing thing to behold.) But if you still watch DVDs, or are tired of the mediocre high-def picture you’re getting from your cable provider, adding a DVP 5000 to your system could very well make you a happier camper. I know I was impressed.

The reviewer doesn't mention the size or type of HDTV display used. The conclusion that it is best used on DVD's and cable TV but not Blu-rays is bogus. This is the second review I've read recently that said the same subjective and inaccurate thing.
post #6827 of 7856
What does it matter if some "expert" gives a good,bad or mediocre review on the Darbee? There are somany factors that enter the equation making a truly objective review nigh impossible...one must really consider factors such as equipment,size,distance,etc when equating....and no one owns the same gear,sits the same distance away from the display or even daisy chains in the same fashion.Add to this the fact that everyone has different eyesight plus different values for perfection,you have a huge,huge area of differing ranges of evaluation,
IMO,if you love what the Darbee does for you...the hell with other's opinions.
post #6828 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post

What does it matter if some "expert" gives a good,bad or mediocre review on the Darbee? There are somany factors that enter the equation making a truly objective review nigh impossible...one must really consider factors such as equipment,size,distance,etc when equating....and no one owns the same gear,sits the same distance away from the display or even daisy chains in the same fashion.Add to this the fact that everyone has different eyesight plus different values for perfection,you have a huge,huge area of differing ranges of evaluation,
IMO,if you love what the Darbee does for you...the hell with other's opinions.

I agree. I see people spend tons of $$ on av gear because a "expert" told them to. I always say, buy speakers that sound good to YOU and a display that looks good to YOU! And if the Darbee improves your picture and YOU like it that's all that matters. I own a lot of av equipment. Some are "name brands" and some aren't. But I like it all! smile.gif
post #6829 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Another review that seems good until you reach the verdict.
The reviewer doesn't mention the size or type of HDTV display used. The conclusion that it is best used on DVD's and cable TV but not Blu-rays is bogus. This is the second review I've read recently that said the same subjective and inaccurate thing.
How can it be inaccurate if it is subjective??? I actually happen to agree with you but it is "subjective" i.e. a personal opinion of the reviewer, maybe he was using an old 12" CRT from across the room. biggrin.gif
post #6830 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Another review that seems good until you reach the verdict.
The reviewer doesn't mention the size or type of HDTV display used. The conclusion that it is best used on DVD's and cable TV but not Blu-rays is bogus. This is the second review I've read recently that said the same subjective and inaccurate thing.
How can it be inaccurate if it is subjective??? I actually happen to agree with you but it is "subjective" i.e. a personal opinion of the reviewer, maybe he was using an old 12" CRT from across the room. biggrin.gif

Technically it can be both "subjective" and inaccurate. Subjective being his opinion. And inaccurate if he used wrong specs etc.
post #6831 of 7856
There is absolutely no reason to not research any new electronic gear you are considering purchasing.....nor is there any logical reason not to hear/see what you are considering in person.
If you are going to purchase something sight unseen(as I did with OPPO) just make sure of the ratings of said company, CS and their return policy...
I understand that living in a small town might not allow this,but following the above suggestions make sight unseen purchases a lot more viable .
post #6832 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post

What does it matter if some "expert" gives a good,bad or mediocre review on the Darbee? There are somany factors that enter the equation making a truly objective review nigh impossible...one must really consider factors such as equipment,size,distance,etc when equating....and no one owns the same gear,sits the same distance away from the display or even daisy chains in the same fashion.Add to this the fact that everyone has different eyesight plus different values for perfection,you have a huge,huge area of differing ranges of evaluation,
IMO,if you love what the Darbee does for you...the hell with other's opinions.

If you've already formed your own opinion of the product, then the reviewer's opinion probably doesn't matter much to you. However, a review like this can have a great influence on readers who haven't been able to test the product for themselves. If they were interested in it before, they're more likely to be turned off bothering with it because the reviewer told them that it wasn't necessary or worthwhile for Blu-ray viewing.

It's fine that the reviewer has a different opinion of the product than I personally do, but his statement that it works best with low-resolution sources and not very well at all with Blu-ray is misleading and potentially factually inaccurate. Those of us who've used the Darblet extensively know that it has better results the better the quality of the source image. The Darblet enhances visibility of details in the source. A high-quality source like Blu-ray has a lot of details to enhance. A low-quality source like DVD or broadcast TV doesn't give the Darblet much to work it, and so the Darblet has little effect on those. This review states otherwise, and therefore misinforms readers who might have otherwise considered buying the product (or who will now buy it believing that it magically makes crummy TV broadcasts look like stunning high defintion, only to inevitably come away disappointed that it doesn't actually do that).
Edited by Josh Z - 9/13/13 at 10:45am
post #6833 of 7856
Got mine yesterday. Installed on a professionally calibrated Panasonic 58" VT25. The Darbee is truly like "lifting the veil". Had a great picture before; it's truly unbelievable now. My wife, who notices nothing about AV except to complain that it's "too loud" walked through the room when the Patriots/Jets game was on last night and asked "What did you do to the TV? The picture is so much sharper.". What can I say? It's great. My only complaint is that somebody over there flunked Industrial Design 101. I know that you have heard it all before, but the placement of the IO jacks is terrible. Is that really the only place they could have put them? What about the back? That is one ugly case. I guess it does make people ask "What is that?" because it is so conspicuously out of place on an A/V rack. Still, all in all, an unbelievably great product. Anyone serious about maximizing their A/V investment should order one today.
post #6834 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post

There is absolutely no reason to not research any new electronic gear you are considering purchasing.....nor is there any logical reason not to hear/see what you are considering in person.
If you are going to purchase something sight unseen(as I did with OPPO) just make sure of the ratings of said company, CS and their return policy...
I understand that living in a small town might not allow this,but following the above suggestions make sight unseen purchases a lot more viable .

Couldn't have said it better myself. I actually do live in a very rural area. I do most of my buying off the Internet. I've learned that reviews are only as good as the reviewer. I've read so many reviews were someone said a product failed to deliver in one or more ways and it was because they didn't know how to properly operate it. I've made a lot of connections and great friends right here on AVS forums. I get great info and input on possible purchases. And I always welcome every and all opinions. Then I research the company and the product as much as I can. When I feel comfortable in my choice I pull the trigger. But it's not fool proof. Sometimes it's just not exactly what I want. That's were researching the companies return polices, restocking fees etc. comes in handy.

I appreciate AVS forums a lot. Those that post and maintain the site are doing a great service. As I learn more and more I try to give back as much as possible. I want to help people make a educated decision just like I was helped. And I never get personal. Too many people see things in black and white. It's your money not mine. Who am I to tell you how to spend it.
post #6835 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmed View Post

Got mine yesterday. Installed on a professionally calibrated Panasonic 58" VT25. The Darbee is truly like "lifting the veil". Had a great picture before; it's truly unbelievable now. My wife, who notices nothing about AV except to complain that it's "too loud" walked through the room when the Patriots/Jets game was on last night and asked "What did you do to the TV? The picture is so much sharper.". What can I say? It's great. My only complaint is that somebody over there flunked Industrial Design 101. I know that you have heard it all before, but the placement of the IO jacks is terrible. Is that really the only place they could have put them? What about the back? That is one ugly case. I guess it does make people ask "What is that?" because it is so conspicuously out of place on an A/V rack. Still, all in all, an unbelievably great product. Anyone serious about maximizing their A/V investment should order one today.

Agree on the Industrial Design 101 issue. So I just treat it like a fat cable and throw it behind everything with a IR emitter taped to it.
post #6836 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

If you've already formed your own opinion of the product, then the reviewer's opinion probably doesn't matter much to you. However, a review like this can have a great influence on readers who haven't been able to test the product for themselves. If they were interested in it before, they're more likely to be turned off bothering with it because the reviewer told them that it wasn't necessary or worthwhile for Blu-ray viewing.

It's fine that the reviewer has a different opinion of the product than I personally do, but his statement that it works best with low-resolution sources and not very well at all with Blu-ray is misleading and potentially factually inaccurate. Those of us who've used the Darblet extensively know that it has better results the better the quality of the source image. The Darblet enhances visibility of details in the source. A high-quality source like Blu-ray has a lot of details to enhance. A low-quality source like DVD or broadcast TV doesn't give the Darblet much to work it, and so the Darblet has little effect on those. This review states otherwise, and therefore misinforms readers who might have otherwise considered buying the product (or who will now buy it believing that it magically makes crummy TV broadcasts look like stunning high defintion, only to inevitably come away disappointed that it doesn't actually do that).

I get what you are saying,but I have to ask how many potential users are going to take one review ,and one review only as The Gospel?
post #6837 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post

I get what you are saying,but I have to ask how many potential users are going to take one review ,and one review only as The Gospel?

That depends on how many reviews there have been for the product, how savvy the reader is with identifying good sources for trustworthy reviews, and whether the review feeds into a preconceived perception that the reader already had. If they're inherently skeptical that a device like this would benefit them, and the review they read seems to confirm that impression, why would they bother to seek out other reviews?
post #6838 of 7856
Hi Steve,
I have the Oppo 103 at default sharpness and Darbee running through a Denon 4520 to a Epson Pro 6020 projecting on a 110" Black Diamond Zero Edge. How would I describe it? IMHO, amazing.
post #6839 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Another review that seems good until you reach the verdict.
The reviewer doesn't mention the size or type of HDTV display used. The conclusion that it is best used on DVD's and cable TV but not Blu-rays is bogus. This is the second review I've read recently that said the same subjective and inaccurate thing.
His equipment: Samsung 55-inch LED LCD HDTV, OPPO Blu-ray player, Samsung HD cable receiver. All, I can say is that I love mine (using it with 65" ISF calibrated Panasonic plasma and an Oppo 103 set to HD 55) makes blu-rays look much better than without. People who are familiar with my HT always notice the uptick in quality and ask what I've done. Also if you scroll down the comments there a few links to reviews posted by some well-known reviewers like Kris Deering.
post #6840 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmed View Post

Got mine yesterday. Installed on a professionally calibrated Panasonic 58" VT25. The Darbee is truly like "lifting the veil". Had a great picture before; it's truly unbelievable now. My wife, who notices nothing about AV except to complain that it's "too loud" walked through the room when the Patriots/Jets game was on last night and asked "What did you do to the TV? The picture is so much sharper.". What can I say? It's great. My only complaint is that somebody over there flunked Industrial Design 101. I know that you have heard it all before, but the placement of the IO jacks is terrible. Is that really the only place they could have put them? What about the back? That is one ugly case. I guess it does make people ask "What is that?" because it is so conspicuously out of place on an A/V rack. Still, all in all, an unbelievably great product. Anyone serious about maximizing their A/V investment should order one today.

that's a great endorsement :-) - what setting did you have the Darbee on?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Darbee vision darblet