or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Darbee vision darblet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Darbee vision darblet - Page 4

post #91 of 7863
I have had my unit for a few days now and have been playing with the settings a bit. I love the overall effect the unit has on sharpness. Really quite amazing.. it is like when you get your vision checked and they are trying different lenses...you do not know until you see the comparisons what you are missing... It is perhaps a bit like having your cataracts removed///from how I have heard that described.
I do have a question as far as settings... I am not sure what LED brightness is doing... how is in comparison to the brightness setting on my LEDTV. LG 55LW5600. It has 4 settings...high ,dim, dimmer and off. Right now I have it to off but am confused if I should use this option instead of the brightness in my set.
BTW I am using HD set at about 75%.
post #92 of 7863
That's just for the LEDs on the unit to dim or turn them off.

Based on Jeff Meier's comments and what I have seen it would seem the best starting point on your display would be to first set the detail, clarity, sharpness, etc controls at zero and then let the Darblet handle the level of look you want. It does it much better and I'd guess it might be counter productive to piggyback on top of display settings.
post #93 of 7863
Will this work over HDMI 1.3?
post #94 of 7863
I'm getting mine today. Very excited, except the feedback so far seems often to lack specifics on display equipment, settings, connection details, and most importantly, media. I plan to use the Darblet to enhance my film viewing experiance which is primarily blu-ray, many of them classics, like Casablanca, and The Graduate, and I am also looking forward to the improvement in some of my DVD classics that have not moved on the Blu-ray such as A Raisen In the Sun, or Damn Yankees. I'll definitely post about these and other films improvements starting tonight.
post #95 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpman View Post

Will this work over HDMI 1.3?

I had this question on the phone today and the answer is "backwards compatible."
- DD
post #96 of 7863
I tested the Darblet on HDMI 1.3 equipment and it worked fine.
post #97 of 7863
Would the unit be of any benefit with single chip DLP projector? Does it enhance contrast also or just sharpens the picture?
post #98 of 7863
There's definitely some sharpening there too.
post #99 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

Would the unit be of any benefit with single chip DLP projector? Does it enhance contrast also or just sharpens the picture?

I just purchased my first DLP projector and it's single chip, the BenQ W7000. It's pretty amazing as it looks pretty sharp on good material, while I have the early firmware problem and confirmed non 1x1 pixel mapping. 3D looks really sharp. For me coming from always LCOS it should look really, really sharp when I'm able to get that fixed.

The Darblet works very well with it and I commented in the projector thread that at least this particular DLP unit seems to take higher levels of effect in stride compared to usually lower settings on my RS50. I really like the motion handling on the BenQ with sports. Whatever setting of Darbee unit I am happy with on a particular telecast if I occasionally pop it off to compare there is no way at that point I would leave it there.
post #100 of 7863
This sounds similar to the Contrast enhancement adjustment in the Lumagen Radiance
post #101 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

Would the unit be of any benefit with single chip DLP projector? Does it enhance contrast also or just sharpens the picture?

It's signal processing, so I don't know why the projector technology would matter.
post #102 of 7863
I had a Luminance XD. Would Darbee still give me perceived improvement in terms of sharpness and "take out a thin film" look?
My projector is JVC RS55.
post #103 of 7863
My Review is coming early next week.
post #104 of 7863
Joe the jock you are will really appreciate it with sports. That said.....it's like any of the other incredible images we can now see at home that drop our jaws to the floor.....the more pristine from the truck signals we get for HDTV from whichever provider you have the better you will be able to work with the Darblet.

I had a super clean Eagles vs some NFL team in the playoffs from 2011 (which fries me Tivo deleted from my que after I specifically said a couple days ago "keep until I delete"). It was just clean as hell. No noise reduction needed, nothing. Darbee in those conditions with a high end, LARGE display can sing.

You've seen even from same events, the quality of a camera at a certain vantage point just looks so much better and more dimensional vs the others. I only say this because someone who watches a lot of sports on TV can often forget just how good their system is until boom there's a another beauty from a production truck somewhere.
post #105 of 7863
I just hooked mine up, Larry Thanks for the speedy fed ex. all I can say is wow, this thing is great, I was wondering if it was like my razorvision but it is nothing like it, I might put that in the mix just to see what happens.

It reminds me of the picture quality jump going from my RS2 to the Sony eshw30, sharper and more detailed.

My picture looks amazing. I'm running the source thru a DVDO duo (audio to Yamaha zx11) and video to an EEcolor box and then thru the Darbet to a Sony eshw30. the 2d looks sharper and has more punch to the image, I had to use Fifth Element (reminesent of the CRT days) and star wars ep. 3 the opening scene just pops out off the screen.
the 3d (no EEcolor) has more depth, and some colors looked brighter, don't know why. I used Cars2 and Happy feet 2 Blurays. All in all I love it but I need to play with the settings from all the toys to get it just right.
post #106 of 7863
I just received my Darblet this afternoon. My video chain is now:

Oppo BDP-95 -> Lumagen Radiance XE-3D -> Darblet -> JVC RS60

Full Pop mode does add image artifacts. Gaming mode looks much better, but after a quick check of the other modes I left the Darblet in "Hi Def". Viewing a few scenes from Casino Royale and The Fifth Element left me with the impression that even Hi Def mode can be set to an enhancement level that can look artificial at times. I was very pleased with the image at 35-40% strength however. At that level the image has a subtle but noticable improvement in clarity & detail with no artifacts or artificial appearance.

Here's a split-screen pic of The Fifth Element in Hi Def mode at 80% strength. The Darblet-enhanced side is on the right, as you can hopefully tell. (I was afraid that my preferred 40% level might be a bit too subtle for a screen shot.):



My first impression is very favorable. Although I haven't had much time to play with it, I can tell this little gadget will be a keeper!
post #107 of 7863
I have an iScan Duo that I use primarily for the CMS capabilities. I'm having a difficult time understanding how the Darblet will interact what. I'm sure it will have a positive effect on image sharpness (which is good, since I don't care much for the Duo's sharpening). How will this effect grayscale, gamma and colors?

I use a Display 3 and CalMan to calibrate my Duo and 65ST30. Will this accomplish anything in my video chain?
post #108 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post

Here's a split-screen pic of The Fifth Element in Hi Def mode at 80% strength. The Darblet-enhanced side is on the right, as you can hopefully tell. (I was afraid that my preferred 40% level might be a bit too subtle for a screen shot.):



My first impression is very favorable. Although I haven't had much time to play with it, I can tell this little gadget will be a keeper!

I look at that picture, and it looks like the color balance has changed subtly (or maybe it's the contrast and/or gamma). It certainly looks pleasing, but have you measured any test patterns to see if everything is being reproduced accurately? You're using a CMS, so I'd love to get some measurements from you.
post #109 of 7863
I might just have to bite and use this as my father's day gift.
I had a BD93 and a Lumagen XD and JVC RS55, so it is probably comprable to your setup.
post #110 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post

I look at that picture, and it looks like the color balance has changed subtly (or maybe it's the contrast and/or gamma). It certainly looks pleasing, but have you measured any test patterns to see if everything is being reproduced accurately? You're using a CMS, so I'd love to get some measurements from you.

I was never able to get trustworthy readings from my colorimeter so I can't provide any measurements. (I had my pj & Radiance professionally calibrated.) I've only done subjective testing.

The effect looks like Photoshop's sharpening filter and a slight boost in color saturation. I didn't notice any gamma manipulation. For example, in the Star Trek remake the first shot of Nero is a very dark close-up of his face. The right side of his face fades into black. An overall gamma change would either lift more of his face out of the shadow or crush more of his face into the shadows. I didn't notice either effect. What I did observe was Nero's beard stubble, pores, and tattoos standing out a bit more. It's as if the Darblet-enhanced image was in better focus.

Different content benefited from different levels of enhancement. While the movies I described looked better to me at a more reserved level, a Super Bowl Blu-ray looked better at much higher enhancement levels. There was nothing wrong with leaving the level at 40 for sports, but the brighter image didn't suffer negative consequences using the higher settings while the improved "pop" was appealing. I look forward to doing a lot more viewing with the Darblet this weekend.
post #111 of 7863
Mark is visiting Alan this week and took his Darbie down to Alan. Alan put it in his setup and now Mark has to buy a new Darbie, because Alan is not giving it up. With Alan's 4K Barco setup he likes the Dardie on 50%. Mark liked 80% with the VW1000ES and Lumagen Mini 3D. When I get one I will let you know what setting I like using a JVC and Lumagen. At this cost, this looks like a nice device to have in the chain.
Reply
Reply
post #112 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Mark is visiting Alan this week and took his Darbie down to Alan. Alan put it in his setup and now Mark has to buy a new Darbie, because Alan is not giving it up. With Alan's 4K Barco setup he likes the Dardie on 50%. Mark liked 80% with the VW1000ES and Lumagen Mini 3D. When I get one I will let you know what setting I like using a JVC and Lumagen. At this cost, this looks like a nice device to have in the chain.

Would there be any benefit with a PDP display?
post #113 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker View Post

Would there be any benefit with a PDP display?

I would think so. I know one customer that is planning on trying it on his Kuro when he gets his.
Reply
Reply
post #114 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Mark is visiting Alan this week and took his Darbie down to Alan. Alan put it in his setup and now Mark has to buy a new Darbie, because Alan is not giving it up. With Alan's 4K Barco setup he likes the Dardie on 50%. Mark liked 80% with the VW1000ES and Lumagen Mini 3D. When I get one I will let you know what setting I like using a JVC and Lumagen. At this cost, this looks like a nice device to have in the chain.

Would be great to hear from them what they think of the enhanced depth and roundness of 2D without need of glasses, if they are adventurous enough to run at those levels. And in Full Pop mode as well. Like anything else in the A/V chain affecting IQ it's source dependent and some look great and some.....not so much. Check out with high quality 1080P landscape or scenic photography too if you have any saved on a drive you can use. I have about 60 that are prime examples and with RS50 / 2.8 HP 16x9 8.5' wide screen combo and the Darblet these can really demonstrate this. Don't have to worry about what's happening to the pixels all the time...... Have some fun!
post #115 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Mark is visiting Alan this week and took his Darbie down to Alan. Alan put it in his setup and now Mark has to buy a new Darbie, because Alan is not giving it up. With Alan's 4K Barco setup he likes the Dardie on 50%. Mark liked 80% with the VW1000ES and Lumagen Mini 3D. When I get one I will let you know what setting I like using a JVC and Lumagen. At this cost, this looks like a nice device to have in the chain.

Yes, please let us know. I have RS55 and Lumagen as well, so I am so tempted now!! The sad thing is it only have 1 output. Now, how do I make this work with both of my display and with XD?
post #116 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post

I just received my Darblet this afternoon. My video chain is now:

Oppo BDP-95 -> Lumagen Radiance XE-3D -> Darblet -> JVC RS60

Full Pop mode does add image artifacts. Gaming mode looks much better, but after a quick check of the other modes I left the Darblet in "Hi Def". Viewing a few scenes from Casino Royale and The Fifth Element left me with the impression that even Hi Def mode can be set to an enhancement level that can look artificial at times. I was very pleased with the image at 35-40% strength however. At that level the image has a subtle but noticable improvement in clarity & detail with no artifacts or artificial appearance.

Here's a split-screen pic of The Fifth Element in Hi Def mode at 80% strength. The Darblet-enhanced side is on the right, as you can hopefully tell. (I was afraid that my preferred 40% level might be a bit too subtle for a screen shot.):



My first impression is very favorable. Although I haven't had much time to play with it, I can tell this little gadget will be a keeper!

I might be a bit off base here, I can see this catching on with general public, but Im a bit surprised avsforum is taking to it. THat picture to me looks artificially sharpened, and contrast boosted, this is something many of us are against and speak out against on the blu-ray forum.
post #117 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Yes, please let us know. I have RS55 and Lumagen as well, so I am so tempted now!! The sad thing is it only have 1 output. Now, how do I make this work with both of my display and with XD?

Radiance -> Darblet -> RS55
post #118 of 7863
Just ordered a Darblet today and can't wait to try it on one of my Kuro's. Will upload a demo mode photo when I get it but you guys will have to wait a bit until it arrives ... as I am in Australia !
post #119 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

I might be a bit off base here, I can see this catching on with general public, but Im a bit surprised avsforum is taking to it. THat picture to me looks artificially sharpened, and contrast boosted, this is something many of us are against and speak out against on the blu-ray forum.

I made the 80% screenshot because I thought folks might not see much difference in a compressed, size-reduced photo at my preferred 40% level. The effect at 40% is much more subtle and does not look artificial. The Darblet gives you a lot of flexibility to choose the effect level that looks best for the particular content & your preference.
post #120 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post

I made the 80% screenshot because I thought folks might not see much difference in a compressed, size-reduced photo at my preferred 40% level. The effect at 40% is much more subtle and does not look artificial. The Darblet gives you a lot of flexibility to choose the effect level that looks best for the particular content & your preference.

No i really appreciate the screenshot, its just that any artificial sharpening, or contrast boosting subtle or not, is considered bad, at least us in the blu-ray forum (where i spend most of my time on here) hate it.

To each his own though everyone is entitled to there opinion, if you enjoy it, thats what matters.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Darbee vision darblet