or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Any Blu-ray players that can do HBO Go?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any Blu-ray players that can do HBO Go?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I'm looking for a Blu-ray player that can do HBO Go. I've thought about getting a Roku, but would rather not have a separate device.
post #2 of 15
Pretty sure Samsung Smart blu ray players have HBO Go. My 2011 Smart TV does
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

Pretty sure Samsung Smart blu ray players have HBO Go. My 2011 Smart TV does

Thanks for the heads up. I may look into some Samsung players.
post #4 of 15
I'm looking for this, too. It doesn't appear to be on any blu-ray players, yet. According to Samsung's app store, HBO GO is currently only available on select HDTV's. No other devices yet.

http://www.samsung.com/us/appstore/app/G00001472450#
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzookz View Post

I'm looking for this, too. It doesn't appear to be on any blu-ray players, yet. According to Samsung's app store, HBO GO is currently only available on select HDTV's. No other devices yet.

http://www.samsung.com/us/appstore/app/G00001472450#

Yes, I stand corrected. It is on my tv, but when I looked on my E6500 Samsung blu ray player, it was not available
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzookz View Post

I'm looking for this, too. It doesn't appear to be on any blu-ray players, yet. According to Samsung's app store, HBO GO is currently only available on select HDTV's. No other devices yet.

http://www.samsung.com/us/appstore/app/G00001472450#

Correct. HBO has said they may add it to Samsung Blu-ray players in the future but they haven't given a date yet. The next device that will gain HBO GO is the Xbox in a couple of weeks. No word on what's coming after that.
post #7 of 15
I'm also not aware of any BD players with HBO Go, but a word of warning that HBO Go availability depends not only on your cable provider, but whether their agreement with HBO permits the specific device you wish to use.

I have Comcast and subscribe to HBO and can therefore use HBO Go on my iPhone. I later purchased a Roku, thinking I would be gaining HBO Go along with other channels of interest to me. Much to my dismay, Comcast is not a supported provider on the Roku version of HBO Go. I suspect that Comcast feels somehow threatened by 'big screen' HBO Go implementations. We might see similar issues once Blu-ray players start offering the service.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

I'm also not aware of any BD players with HBO Go, but a word of warning that HBO Go availability depends not only on your cable provider, but whether their agreement with HBO permits the specific device you wish to use.

I have Comcast and subscribe to HBO and can therefore use HBO Go on my iPhone. I later purchased a Roku, thinking I would be gaining HBO Go along with other channels of interest to me. Much to my dismay, Comcast is not a supported provider on the Roku version of HBO Go. I suspect that Comcast feels somehow threatened by 'big screen' HBO Go implementations. We might see similar issues once Blu-ray players start offering the service.

Correct. DirecTV does not carry HBO Go, and as of my last query of them, have no plans to. Besides, HBO ain't what it used to be. I'm watching a lot more Showtime these days.
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrondar View Post


Correct. DirecTV does not carry HBO Go, and as of my last query of them, have no plans to. Besides, HBO ain't what it used to be. I'm watching a lot more Showtime these days.

I have directv as a provider. You can get hbogo on other devices such as ipad, laptops, etc as long as you have directv.
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerOne View Post

Correct. HBO has said they may add it to Samsung Blu-ray players in the future but they haven't given a date yet. The next device that will gain HBO GO is the Xbox in a couple of weeks. No word on what's coming after that.

Don't hold your breath. I bought a 2011 Samsung TV and a Samsung bluray player in March '11 and an Amazon Video app was supposed to be coming soon

...I'm still waiting
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

Don't hold your breath. I bought a 2011 Samsung TV and a Samsung bluray player in March '11 and an Amazon Video app was supposed to be coming soon

...I'm still waiting

Actually, I found the Amazon app through my Samsung TV the other day, it was buried. It is actually an app within an app... I found it as an app download within the Yahoo Toolbar app. Kind of annoying to access especially compared to the easy access to Netflix, Hulu, HBOGO, etc, but it works.

I was excited when I found it finally, thought I'd pass it on. Created an account just to reply to this.

Anyone know when HBO GO is going to other manufacturers, such as Panasonic?
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrondar View Post

Correct. DirecTV does not carry HBO Go, and as of my last query of them, have no plans to. Besides, HBO ain't what it used to be. I'm watching a lot more Showtime these days.

HBO may not be what it used to be, but the great thing about HBO GO is that a sizable library of HBO's show's (including some great documentaries) over the past many years is available "ON DEMAND". The COMCAST HBO "ON DEMAND" library pales in comparison.

I really want HBO GO on my WDTV LIVE, but I won't hold my breath either.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyTV View Post

Actually, I found the Amazon app through my Samsung TV the other day, it was buried. It is actually an app within an app... I found it as an app download within the Yahoo Toolbar app. Kind of annoying to access especially compared to the easy access to Netflix, Hulu, HBOGO, etc, but it works.

I was excited when I found it finally, thought I'd pass it on. Created an account just to reply to this.

Anyone know when HBO GO is going to other manufacturers, such as Panasonic?

Your right. Amazon Video is a widget found within the Yahoo App. Unfortunately for me, and most people, there are only a handful of Samsung tv's that support it. Go to amazon.com for more info

It's not available on my Yahoo app on my 2011 D8000, and is not yet available on the ES 2012 series. You must have an older set, but you are lucky in this regard
post #14 of 15
Strange that this week's news about Time Warner being added to the list of providers whose subscribers can access HBO GO on TV connected devices mentions Blu Ray players... and yet, as best as I can tell, the Smart Hub on these Blu Ray players still doesn't offer HBO GO.

(I note that it's on some, but not all, of their 2011 Smart Hub TV's -- but not Blu Ray players, at least not yet.)

Quote:


As we revealed yesterday, Time Warner Cable has finally activated HBO Go streaming to TV connected devices. As seen on the new activation pages for Samsung Smart TVs and Blu-ray players...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/17/t...-available-on/

If HBO GO is in fact offered now on any of Samsung's Blu Ray players, I would love to know the model numbers...

Perhaps this news is a harbinger of things to come? I'd love to see my Samsung BD-C5500 updated to include HBO GO!
post #15 of 15
Is HBO Go currently not available on 2012 tv's? I just checked Samsung's site and I dont see the 6000 - 8500 models listed as compatible devices? And hoping that MaxGo will follow suit.

Also, pretty disappointed they've yet to add Amazon VOD to newer sets. I had it on my c650 and enjoyed using the service. Albeit, I wish it had a dedicated app, but the widget worked fine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Any Blu-ray players that can do HBO Go?