or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2012 Sharp LC-XXLE640U/XXC6400U
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2012 Sharp LC-XXLE640U/XXC6400U - Page 7

post #181 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmapper View Post

Someone made the point that with an articulated mount it isn't just the weight, but the fact that swinging it will exert a lot more pressure because the lever is longer. Is this a worry?
What do you all use? Do you think I can use the 26-47" mount? Thanks!
Thanks again!

Wish I could help you with this, but I've got a standard flat wall mount. I got mine from Monoprice.com and it's an ultra-slim type. I think I paid about $30 for it and it works great with my Sharp LC-60-640U. My TV hugs the wall and it helps a lot with improving the side viewing angles from the corners of our seating arrangement.
post #182 of 1348
Sharp Aquos LC-XX, etc. owners,

If you own a LC-60C6400U or equivalent set, do not auto update or use firmware version 217U1205161. It was implemented on 7-30-12 and at least took care of my constantly-having-to-log-in issue on Netflix by COMPLETELY deactivating it (yes, been through all the deactivate/activate, etc. menus - nothing to do with Netflix pretty much begin gone). I have been emailing back and forth with Sharp support on the problem and they wanted me to d/l and upgrade to firmware version 217U1205161. I just told them that it was already on the set and was updated the very same day as the download site said that it was released on. Uh-oh. Guess there's the issue. BTW, they told me that the Aquos auto-update feature is not working. Hmmm. Then how did the latest 4 day old version of the firmware get on the set? :-O Hope that they've got an older Firmware that i can download to get back to the old log in constantly method (better than no Netflix at all).
post #183 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbullktm View Post

Sharp Aquos LC-XX, etc. owners,
If you own a LC-60C6400U or equivalent set, do not auto update or use firmware version 217U1205161. It was implemented on 7-30-12 and at least took care of my constantly-having-to-log-in issue on Netflix by COMPLETELY deactivating it (yes, been through all the deactivate/activate, etc. menus - nothing to do with Netflix pretty much begin gone). I have been emailing back and forth with Sharp support on the problem and they wanted me to d/l and upgrade to firmware version 217U1205161. I just told them that it was already on the set and was updated the very same day as the download site said that it was released on. Uh-oh. Guess there's the issue. BTW, they told me that the Aquos auto-update feature is not working. Hmmm. Then how did the latest 4 day old version of the firmware get on the set? :-O Hope that they've got an older Firmware that i can download to get back to the old log in constantly method (better than no Netflix at all).

Mine also updated thru auto update. Once again, does anyone else have a problem with low volume on this set. I have to keep it in high 30's to low 40's to hear directv and Netflix. I am tone deaf in high frequencies, but i'm not hearing low frequencies well either. Don't want to invest in home audio system due to hearing-thinking of returning set to Best Buy before return period expires. I have all of the audio settings set corrected on tv and inputs.
post #184 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay View Post

Wish I could help you with this, but I've got a standard flat wall mount. I got mine from Monoprice.com and it's an ultra-slim type. I think I paid about $30 for it and it works great with my Sharp LC-60-640U. My TV hugs the wall and it helps a lot with improving the side viewing angles from the corners of our seating arrangement.

How did you hide your wiring or did you pre plan this?
post #185 of 1348
@urbanmapper

I used a Monoprice 8586 http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=8586&seq=1&format=2
Edited by LJUnaTiC - 8/5/12 at 6:46pm
post #186 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post

How did you hide your wiring or did you pre plan this?

I didn't really plan on how to hide the wiring; but the arrangement I chose took care of it by default. I have a Techcraft SWP60 TV stand in the seven feet of wall space between the two windows on the front wall of my living room. I didn't want to usurp a lot of the top of the SWP60 with the TV stand. Besides, putting the LC-60LE640U in the stand on top of this piece of furniture would have put it about 6 " lower than what I deemed to be the optimum viewing height. I wanted my eye level to be even with the center of the screen when seated on the sofa, love seat, or recliner.

The wall mount allowed me to put the TV at the height needed to fit my desire for mounting height. It also took care of two other things I didn't consider. I never thought about hiding cables, but my low profile Polk Audio center channel speaker sits directly under the middle of my TV bezel, on the back portion of the Techcraft SWP60's top. It completely covers the AC power cord and the HDMI cable coming from my A/V receiver (the only two cables going to my set). You can't see a hint of a cable from anywhere in the room. Secondly, this wall hugging mount pulls the 60LE640U so close to the wall that the frontmost seat on the Love Seat and the single chair opposite it on the other side of the set have a less obtuse viewing angle, and can actually view the screen fairly comfortably.
post #187 of 1348
Quote:

Heck of a deal there! If I were in need of a swivel mount, this would definitely be the way I'd go smile.gif
post #188 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadster View Post

called for service, hopefully later this week... geez

well, the techs replaced two boards - still the same 2 long, 5 short flash codes - Sharp is claiming it's the display...

waiting 48 hours for a replacement HDTV
post #189 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadster View Post

well, the techs replaced two boards - still the same 2 long, 5 short flash codes - Sharp is claiming it's the display...
waiting 48 hours for a replacement HDTV

Who is handling the replacement, Sharp or Costco? Please keep us advised as to how this progresses. You just got a bad apple from the sound of it....
post #190 of 1348
I recently picked up the 70" at Costco. This set is fantastic once properly calibrated. No complaints (a post with no complaints!) here. The IP Control is also excellent and allows for excellent HT integration. Currently running DeGamePimp's brightest Game Mode Cal. Until I found his calibrations, I was ready to take this thing back! The out of the box settings are horrific. Does Sharp really think Americans watch soap operas all day? smile.gif
post #191 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceG View Post

I recently picked up the 70" at Costco. This set is fantastic once properly calibrated. No complaints (a post with no complaints!) here. The IP Control is also excellent and allows for excellent HT integration. Currently running DeGamePimp's brightest Game Mode Cal. Until I found his calibrations, I was ready to take this thing back! The out of the box settings are horrific. Does Sharp really think Americans watch soap operas all day? smile.gif

Kudos on your purchase... I'm envious - 70" tongue.gif I wanted one but it wouldn't fit into the spot where it has to go in my living room. The 60" I have is still a step up from the 55" HDTV it replaced. Yes, the IP control is excellent!

As for DaGamePimp's settings you're using, can you link them so I can try them? He has a number of settings posted hither and yon, and I want to make sure I try the settings that you are obviously pleased with. And like you, I was ready to take this thing back with the out of the box settings... it's odd that it defaults to settings that don't seem to impress many folks.
post #192 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay View Post

As for DaGamePimp's settings you're using, can you link them so I can try them?

Here's all of his cals in one post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1376737/official-sharp-60-aquos-lc-60le632u-owners-thread#post_21454402

As my room can be fairly bright, I'm using the brightest of both (50ftL Game/40ftL Movie). I keep switching back and forth, but seem to end up on the Game mode settings.
post #193 of 1348
I found that factory "Standard" settings look better on my TV than any of DaGamePimp's settings I tried. I dialed down brightness/contract/color though.
post #194 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon7 View Post

I found that factory "Standard" settings look better on my TV than any of DaGamePimp's settings I tried. I dialed down brightness/contract/color though.

I agree; i used the standard mode with CNET's settings and PQ is great. I do NOT use gaming-only Tv and Blu ray.
post #195 of 1348
I have stated this previously but for those that may have missed it...

The 640 is different than the 632 so the odd's of any of my 632 series calibrations working are slim, if they do then you just got really lucky (or more likely just found something that you enjoy watching). wink.gif

That said there is certainly no harm in trying all the various settings that you find across the net as long as expectations are kept in check, none of these 'net' settings are likely to allow you to see the full potential of your particular display.

* As an example... I have several PRO calibrations done by ISF/THX calibrators with more experience than I have and when entering their calibration settings on my displays they do not come out accurate (varified with proper gear).

Best of luck,
Jason
post #196 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceG View Post

Here's all of his cals in one post:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1376737/official-sharp-60-aquos-lc-60le632u-owners-thread#post_21454402
As my room can be fairly bright, I'm using the brightest of both (50ftL Game/40ftL Movie). I keep switching back and forth, but seem to end up on the Game mode settings.

Thanks chanceG! Lots of good information there... I've definitely got that post bookmarked!
post #197 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

I have stated this previously but for those that may have missed it...
The 640 is different than the 632 so the odd's of any of my 632 series calibrations working are slim, if they do then you just got really lucky (or more likely just found something that you enjoy watching). wink.gif
That said there is certainly no harm in trying all the various settings that you find across the net as long as expectations are kept in check, none of these 'net' settings are likely to allow you to see the full potential of your particular display.

Yes, you have been very clear in stating that caveat. It certainly stands to reason that your settings wouldn't yield the same results, but as long as the user realizes that, I think what you've provided is a reference point. I'll try your Game settings (I've only tried your movie settings thus far, which IMO yielded better results than the default Movie settings of my 640u). I'll report back with my results after I've tried them.

BTW, I cooperated with Turbe (ControlCal) to see if my set could be calibrated remotely using the ControlCal interface. He was able to "talk" to my set but didn't get the responses needed to do a full calibration on it. I've thought about paying for an ISF calibration on my set, but I have a lot of doubts that I'd see $300 worth of improvement on this particular set.
Edited by OnlookerDelay - 8/7/12 at 1:05pm
post #198 of 1348
Hi Jason, good to see that you're checking out 640 thread too! I used to have 60LE632 and tried every setting I could find, including yours. I always had troubles with skin tones having too much green, especially noticeable in low light situation. I looked at many display 632 models at different stores and noticed same behavior. I know that store display models were not calibrated but few times I tried to enter some of the settings posted here (including yours) and saw pretty much the same picture as on my own TV. I eventually found settings that were acceptable but still wasn't fully satisfied. Good for me that my 632 developed dark spots on the screen and Sharp replaced it to brand new 60LE640. I must say 640 has completely different pre-calibrated picture out of the box. No more greenish tint on faces, colors are bright and vivid. Out of the box settings with minimal tweaking look very acceptable to me. Great screen uniformity, picture has a lot of "pop", great TV! I don't see a need to even try custom calibrations anymore.
post #199 of 1348
My TV wants to download another firmware update version with last 3 digits 181. It is not on Sharp website yet. Is it a Neflix fix?
post #200 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon7 View Post

My TV wants to download another firmware update version with last 3 digits 181. It is not on Sharp website yet. Is it a Neflix fix?

Don't do it! My update has been stuck on 67% for 40 minutes. Not sure what to do.
post #201 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post

Don't do it! My update has been stuck on 67% for 40 minutes. Not sure what to do.

85 minutes now. Unplugged cat 5 cable no effect. I guess I'll just unplug tv even thoughit says not to.
post #202 of 1348
I gave up and upgraded. It got stuck on 67% for a minute and then finished. My TV connected over Wi-Fi. I figured if Sharp released this update just few days after 217U1205161 then it must be critical enough.
post #203 of 1348
So, what did it say the update was for?
post #204 of 1348
There is no details anywhere. Update still not posted on the Sharp website. I know there was a recent update for 632 that decreased motion blur when watching sports. I watched a soccer game yesterday and looks like there is no noticeable blur on my TV. It might be subjective though....
post #205 of 1348
doesn't it usually say what its for before you download the update?
post #206 of 1348
All it said there is a new update and asked if I wanted to take it.
post #207 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post

85 minutes now. Unplugged cat 5 cable no effect. I guess I'll just unplug tv even thoughit says not to.

Just curious, did you recover from this okay? I wasn't prompted for this update; maybe I need to see if it's available manually? Then again, if it's only for Netflix, then it won't mean anything to me. I strongly prefer my XBox 360 implementation of Netflix to the app built into this set.
post #208 of 1348
Okay, I was prompted this morning to update to the "181" firmware update. Even though Sharp's support website doesn't say what the update does, I went for it. It did pause for about 2 minutes, and then finished up reportting that the update was complete. I'd love to know what benefits to be looking for though. I'll look for some golf and see if the "ghost" balls have been cured with motion enhancement (high or low) enabled.... I'm pretty doubtful that it would have.
post #209 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post

doesn't it usually say what its for before you download the update?

No, it just says a new update is available, do you want to install it now? "Yes" or "No".
post #210 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay View Post

Just curious, did you recover from this okay? I wasn't prompted for this update; maybe I need to see if it's available manually? Then again, if it's only for Netflix, then it won't mean anything to me. I strongly prefer my XBox 360 implementation of Netflix to the app built into this set.

I updated very quickly this morning; have not watched anything since. I like the sharp tv Netflix interface because it show captions for hearing impaired (as does my Panny 220 Blu ray player which I keep in another room).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2012 Sharp LC-XXLE640U/XXC6400U