or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2012 Sharp LC-XXLE640U/XXC6400U
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2012 Sharp LC-XXLE640U/XXC6400U - Page 14

post #391 of 1345
Are these the models going on sale at Walmart tommorrow Black Friday? The 60" for $998?
post #392 of 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

Are these the models going on sale at Walmart tommorrow Black Friday? The 60" for $998?

I think those are the 600 series that are on their black friday ad (not the 640).

Jason
post #393 of 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

Are these the models going on sale at Walmart tommorrow Black Friday? The 60" for $998?


No, but I noticed that Walmart will price match, and best buy has them for around 250-300 cheaper - at least today.

The problem I ran into was Walmart will not price match items you bought on line ( like me- I got the sharp 60 le 640 through their website because they didn't have one in stock.) Just walk in store purchases.

Guess it depends on who has them in stock, and /or which is closer to where you live if you want to buy one at either of those places.

BTW - fantastic TV!! Cannot get over the clarity. I knew it when I saw it in the store and compared it to about six or eight others side by side playing with the color adjustments. Spent about $3-400.00 more, but I fell in love with it when I saw it.
post #394 of 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

I think those are the 600 series that are on their black friday ad (not the 640).
Jason

Thanks. Darn.
post #395 of 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

Thanks. Darn.

From what I read, the 600 is the same as the 640, minus the "Smart" part.
I can't confirm that though. I was also eying it before I decided to go with the 640 and the breadth of information/reviews available for it.
post #396 of 1345
My local Walmart has the 60" 640u and the 70" 640u on display. So I thought maybe those were the sets going on sale.

Ive spied the panel on the 60" 640u and really like it. The then matte faux brushed aluminum plastic bezel is nice too.

If the 600u is the same minus Smart TV functions, then that is fantastic. Id just assume not have that in the TV. But Id have to confirm, and I have my doubts.
post #397 of 1345
AFAIK the 600 series does not have full calibration control (C.M.S.) available in the user menu (the 640 does if that is important to you).

Jason
post #398 of 1345
Ok, this is probably a really stupid question. I was just at costco and they have several of the 70C6400U that are still on sale through Monday. I noticed that they had two different styles of boxes. One was tan cardboard with a picture of the tv on the front, and the other was a white box with a drawing of the set. Was wondering if one is from earlier in the year and the other just off of the assembly line?
And if so, does it really matter with this set? Anybody know?
post #399 of 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post

Ok, this is probably a really stupid question. I was just at costco and they have several of the 70C6400U that are still on sale through Monday. I noticed that they had two different styles of boxes. One was tan cardboard with a picture of the tv on the front, and the other was a white box with a drawing of the set. Was wondering if one is from earlier in the year and the other just off of the assembly line?
And if so, does it really matter with this set? Anybody know?

It should not make any difference, as long as it's not a stick drawing...lol. Seriously, there should be a serial number for the set on one or both ends of the box. If you can capture the SN, give sharp a call and they can tell you the build date from that number.
post #400 of 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post

Ok, this is probably a really stupid question. I was just at costco and they have several of the 70C6400U that are still on sale through Monday. I noticed that they had two different styles of boxes. One was tan cardboard with a picture of the tv on the front, and the other was a white box with a drawing of the set. Was wondering if one is from earlier in the year and the other just off of the assembly line?
And if so, does it really matter with this set? Anybody know?

I cant comment on the specific nomenclature sticker printed on the 6400 series from Costco but the below stickers adhered to the Tan colored boxes on the 60" & 70" display cartons i still have in the garage are below:

60" Serial # B207885584 July 2012 purchased from Best Buy on Nov. 1st

70" Serial # E210820-491 Nov. 2012 purchased from Best Buy on Nov. 12th

When selecting Menu on the remotes and clicking on " Identification " the i assume software I.D. number ends in 161 on the 60" with the July Build date and on the 70" Nov. build date it ends in 181.


Regards, wink.gif
Edited by Silverfox1 - 11/24/12 at 11:25am
post #401 of 1345
I just picked up the LC-60LE640U at Walmart for $998 (Chicago area). It was listed at the store as $1,489 but when they scanned the barcode the lower price came up. So far I'm very happy.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my Harmony One to change the AVMODE to where I want it for each input, but that's not a big deal.
post #402 of 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

It should not make any difference, as long as it's not a stick drawing...lol. Seriously, there should be a serial number for the set on one or both ends of the box. If you can capture the SN, give sharp a call and they can tell you the build date from that number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox1 View Post

I cant comment on the specific nomenclature sticker printed on the 6400 series from Costco but the below stickers adhered to the Tan colored boxes on the 60" & 70" display cartons i still have in the garage are below:
60" Serial # B207885584 July 2012 purchased from Best Buy on Nov. 1st
70" Serial # E210820-491 Nov. 2012 purchased from Best Buy on Nov. 12th
When selecting Menu on the remotes and clicking on " Identification " the i assume software I.D. number ends in 161 on the 60" with the July Build date and on the 70" Nov. build date it ends in 181.
Regards, wink.gif

Thanks...guess I'm being a bit paranoid but I would like to lessen the chance of picking up one with problems. I've already decided to keep it on the stand for a couple of weeks until I'm ready to call it a keeper and then mount it on the wall. I honestly believe these are not flying off the shelf at Costco because they are not set up correctly (although they still look better side by side with some of the other models) and the new Vizio 70 inch set that people will get just to save 500 dollars. I wasn't all that impressed with the Vizio and the Vizio 65 inch I had been looking at was showing terrible banding on the one that was right next to the Sharp. That would bother me more than anything.
post #403 of 1345
I bought the LC-70LE600U from bestbuy on sale for 1800 bux. I have it so far for 3 days. It does not come with the adjusting options the 640u comes with. One thing i am disappointed in is the quality of the picture.

On Some blue rays the picture looks great as well in some HD programming. The motion blur /ghosting is what kills me but its so strange since it happens in specific movies. Iron man2 Looks awesome but inception not so great at all.

And some movies look grainy just frustrated anyways enough of my rant.

My question is should i return and go for the 640u and get the extra color/settings are they worth it???

I don't care about the smart tv aspect since i have blueray /ps3/ xbox etc.

This is really the only option i see in getting a big screen that wont cost me 4k.

Thanks
post #404 of 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by cito83 View Post

I bought the LC-70LE600U from bestbuy on sale for 1800 bux. I have it so far for 3 days. It does not come with the adjusting options the 640u comes with. One thing i am disappointed in is the quality of the picture.
On Some blue rays the picture looks great as well in some HD programming. The motion blur /ghosting is what kills me but its so strange since it happens in specific movies. Iron man2 Looks awesome but inception not so great at all.
And some movies look grainy just frustrated anyways enough of my rant.
My question is should i return and go for the 640u and get the extra color/settings are they worth it???
I don't care about the smart tv aspect since i have blueray /ps3/ xbox etc.
This is really the only option i see in getting a big screen that wont cost me 4k.
Thanks

If i were you i would definitely return the 600u and get BB to match a printed out bring along copy of the LC-70LE640U listed price from East Coast TV`s with their additional 2% discount. At present you can get the 70" with a pricematch from BB for $1914.92 :

http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/Sharp-LED-HDTV-p/lc70le640u.htm


Regards & Good Luck, wink.gif
post #405 of 1345
Greetings All. Picked up the LC-70LE640U on Friday. Unboxed it today to make sure it's all good and so far I'm impressed for an out of the box product. I'm coming from a 5 plus yr old 61'' Samsung DLP that's in need of a serious calibration after 2 lamps and a color wheel replacement. Actually I have them sitting virtually side by side for comparison purposes. My Samsung is using a cable set top box, and the Aquos is connected to my OTA Antenna. I did upgrade the firmware to ver 221U1209281 (the set made me upgrade) when I went to check out Netflix. I've read through the thread and have been running primarily in Game mode, although I've checked out Standard mode and Dynamic mode and it appears that Game mode is where I want to be. BTW the Samsung is in "standard mode" and I know it needs a cal, but it's not that far off color wise from the Sharp, which tells me the Sharp probably needs some calibration love as well.
post #406 of 1345
Is there a way to check/confirm that the hd signal you are watching is either a 720p to a 1080 i on the 640u? I notice the signal when it switches from/to either while changing channels, there is a 2 to 3 second pause, then it says what the signal is in the upper right corner (with a leaf). But it would be nice to verify without changing channels.

I really cant believe how many current college football games are shown in only 720p! Seems to be about 85% 720p. What a disappointment. There just doest seem to be as many 1080 recorded shows as I thought.
post #407 of 1345
Your television service provider is probably providing either 720p or 1080i I would imagine. On top of that, different providers provide this service at different bitrates. That said, I haven't been able to tell much difference between 720p and 1080i feeds that are sent at nearly the same bitrates, so I wouldn't get too worked up when you see 720p.
post #408 of 1345
Hey Guys,

I just bought a 640U yesterday and tried to watch some football this morning but wasn't very impressed. Everytime the QB threw the ball there was a stream coming off the end of the ball. I've gotta say i'm pretty ticked off. My 4 year old 40" Sony Bravia looked much better.

I am going to try some of Jason's settings. Can someone tell me which would be best for sports in a fairly bright room?

Thanks

Mike
post #409 of 1345
Mike, what kind of feed (service provider) are you using, and are you in game mode or something else?
post #410 of 1345
It's optic TV and I just have the TV set on standard mode, right out of the box.
post #411 of 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeka View Post

Is there a way to check/confirm that the hd signal you are watching is either a 720p to a 1080 i on the 640u? I notice the signal when it switches from/to either while changing channels, there is a 2 to 3 second pause, then it says what the signal is in the upper right corner (with a leaf). But it would be nice to verify without changing channels.
I really cant believe how many current college football games are shown in only 720p! Seems to be about 85% 720p. What a disappointment. There just doest seem to be as many 1080 recorded shows as I thought.

I've only connected an OTA antenna signal to my TV so far, so it might be different with other sources, but I just press the "display" button on the upper section of your remote between the power buttons. All the major broadcast networks "here" , i.e. ABC, CBS, and NBC broadcasted there football games yesterday in 1080i. Fox and ESPN as always broadcast in 720p.

Now as far as the audio track displayed when you depress the display button, all I've seen so far is "Surround" (assumed to be DD5.1) or Stereo (assumed to be 2 Ch stereo). I wish it displayed the actually sound track, but guess you can't have everything.
post #412 of 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonxn View Post

Hey Guys,
I just bought a 640U yesterday and tried to watch some football this morning but wasn't very impressed. Everytime the QB threw the ball there was a stream coming off the end of the ball. I've gotta say i'm pretty ticked off. My 4 year old 40" Sony Bravia looked much better.
I am going to try some of Jason's settings. Can someone tell me which would be best for sports in a fairly bright room?
Thanks
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonxn View Post

It's optic TV and I just have the TV set on standard mode, right out of the box.

Excuse my ignorance, but is Optic TV a cable set top box service? I got my 70" 640u unpacked yesterday, just so I could watch as many football games as possible, just to check that very issue (read the thread before I purchased) and I didn't see any of that "streaming trial off the end of the ball stuff) no matter what mode I was in, Standard, Game, Dynamic, etc. I am only connected to my OTA antenna.
post #413 of 1345
Vonxn,

Turn off film mode and motion processing, then report back.
post #414 of 1345
Where is everyone today...watching 70 inches of football? I'll be picking up this tv tomorrow morning so please keep the comments coming.
post #415 of 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post

Where is everyone today...watching 70 inches of football? I'll be picking up this tv tomorrow morning so please keep the comments coming.

Guilty as charged biggrin.gif and so far, loving every minute of it. I'm connected via my OTA antenna, and I haven't researched in-depth on why, but my "Motion Enhancement, Black Level and Film Mode" selections are greyed out. Is there some setting I set that caused that? I certainly didn't set those that way myself ?????
post #416 of 1345
I wish I could be enjoying this football but this TV is horrible. Watching the New Orleans game certain spots on the field look blurry. Around players shoulders looks pixelated..I'm seriously thinking of returning it for a plasma.
post #417 of 1345
Glad I saw that post. I actually own a plasma and was thinking about picking up the sharp to replace my plasma (glare issues)
post #418 of 1345
Ok guys I have a question. I picked up the 640u 52inch and I have all my sources (Blu-Ray, PS3, and Xbox) hooked up to my receiver and I am just using one HDMI to the TV in HDMI 1. I am using CNET'S settings for Blu-Ray and Jason's GameMode settings for my PS3 and Xbox, but I don't like having to switch AV modes on the remote every time I switch between watching movies and playing games. So here is my question...Is there an easier way to do this or is there a way to program the picture settings for each source?

Thanks
post #419 of 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinegts85 View Post

Glad I saw that post. I actually own a plasma and was thinking about picking up the sharp to replace my plasma (glare issues)

Keep the plasma...
post #420 of 1345
Don't keep the plasma.get the Sharp. First make sure that your source doesn't create problems since signal compression could be different on different channels. Secondary disable all video processing on the TV (try Game mode for starters). Also don't try watching this TV 1-2 feet away from the screen, use normal viewing distance. I have 60LE640U and very pleased with it. My TV has only one shortcoming - it is 60". I should have gotten 70"!

Also wanted to add... It is not worth comparing 70" TV with 40" since 70" has like 4 times bigger viewing area and all imperfections will be significantly magnified.
Edited by gordon7 - 11/26/12 at 4:51am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2012 Sharp LC-XXLE640U/XXC6400U