or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "Missing" on ABC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Missing" on ABC

post #1 of 53
Thread Starter 
New drama from ABC, premieres Thursday, March 15 at 8/7c.

When Becca Winstone (Ashley Judd) learns that her son disappeared while studying abroad, she travels to Europe to track him down in a race against time...


A clip of the first act of the show:

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/missing.../_m_VD55178092

The network promo I saw reminded me just a bit of the former Alias (also on ABC). I guess time will tell if it's actually any good.
post #2 of 53
Thread Starter 
Ms. Judd (Franchitti) says 10 episodes were shot, mostly in Europe. She also performed her own stunts.
post #3 of 53
Was Missing originally supposed to air last year?
post #4 of 53
I love ashley Judd but i have a hard time buying her as a action star based on the ads i saw
post #5 of 53
Well that seals it then, any role Sean Bean takes has a clause in it that stipulates his character is to die before the end of the show/film's finish. Has a single actor's character ever "died" as much as this guy?

Enjoyed the pilot, hard to see how they can maintain the expense of all that location shooting though.
post #6 of 53
Well I really liked Taken, so I'll give the first couple of episodes a shot but I don't see how they can extend a series called Missing unless they lose someone every ten episodes.

Either her son is really kidnap-prone or they'll have to find new people to run after.

"Dammit Jack! We don't have time for comparison! I'm a mother not a CIA operative!"
post #7 of 53
My wife and I were disappointed. Judd just didn't sell herself as this character, and we didn't buy the interactions between her and her Italian ex-lover or the CIA boss. The fight scenes were pretty exciting, but unbelievable situations.

Also, the commercials were ridiculous. After 5 minutes of program, we had 5 minutes of commercials, repeat, repeat, repeat...

I think we'll find out (or whoever manages to stick with this show) that Sean Bean is still alive. After all, he's listed as a regular cast member in the opening credits. Or, maybe he'll just appear in flashbacks.

Dogu
post #8 of 53
Yeah, it was okay, actually better than I thought it would be judging from the promos. I'll give it another shot, but like a lot of these high-concept shows, you wonder how long they can keep the central premise going.
post #9 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Enjoyed the pilot, hard to see how they can maintain the expense of all that location shooting though.

Production was based in Prague, not the United States. And there's a lot of green screen work.
post #10 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

Production was based in Prague, not the United States. And there's a lot of green screen work.

Figured there was a lot of that, but I read an article where Judd says they filmed the 10 eps in about 3-4 locations around Europe.
post #11 of 53
If they can keep this pace I'll keep watching. I thought the pilot was good.
post #12 of 53
I was impressed. A beautiful hour of advertising, showing off the wonderfulness that is TV in America. Although they did annoyingly break it up occasionally with some new Ashley Judd show. Was I supposed to pay attention to that part?
post #13 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Well I really liked Taken, so I'll give the first couple of episodes a shot but I don't see how they can extend a series called Missing unless they lose someone every ten episodes.

Either her son is really kidnap-prone or they'll have to find new people to run after.

[/i]

That was what I thought towards the end.
post #14 of 53
Does anyone really believe Sean Bean's character is dead? That's too easy. We only saw the car blown up, not who was in it. Seems like a fake-out as was done in GoldenEye. That would give a plausible reason for why the son was kidnapped.
post #15 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post

Does anyone really believe Sean Bean's character is dead? That's too easy. We only saw the car blown up, not who was in it. Seems like a fake-out as was done in GoldenEye. That would give a plausible reason for why the son was kidnapped.

+1

Couldn't believe that Bean would be killed off so quickly if he was in the credits--so I fully expect to hear that he is still alive...working for the Russians or some other organization--and the "scholarship" he got was an orchestrated move to get him out of the US--and a way to draw his father out of hiding by some shadow(y) organization.
post #16 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post

Does anyone really believe Sean Bean's character is dead? That's too easy. We only saw the car blown up, not who was in it. Seems like a fake-out as was done in GoldenEye. That would give a plausible reason for why the son was kidnapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypb View Post

+1

Couldn't believe that Bean would be killed off so quickly if he was in the credits--so I fully expect to hear that he is still alive...working for the Russians or some other organization--and the "scholarship" he got was an orchestrated move to get him out of the US--and a way to draw his father out of hiding by some shadow(y) organization.

I believe he did die, for why in the world would he disappear when he had a lovely wife and a son? Was it for the "love of money"...or a "better ideology in another country"...I don't think so. I believe we will start seeing flashbacks with him in them at some point in time.

I wasn't too crazy about the 1st episode, but I liked the second. The pacing was better, as were the action scenes. I think I'm in it for the long haul...it helps too that we are treated to some exotic locations with fairly good PQ to boot!
post #17 of 53
Like the pacing of Rebecca's search my interest is waning rapidly. it's becoming a very by-the-numbers thriller and fairly indicative of the kind of programming ABC is now making. It occurred to me after watching this week and seeing the preview for Scandal that ABC is becoming a glossier version of Lifetime. I would say almost every show on ABC is now geared towards women or is fronted by a female character. Seriously the only show on the channel now that's male-dominated is Castle. And that's not exactly high on the testosterone factor.

Which is a shame, because this show really needs some testosterone. Judd needs to be more ruthless and dynamic and the pacing needs to be in the same league as 24 or it's inspiration - Taken. Instead it's wafting around garden parties stealing diamonds and rekindling soapy old romance subplots. At the least I want to see Judd have the force of will of Geena Davis in Long Kiss Goodnight. Kick every ass and knock over every rock (with extreme prejudice) to get to her son.

The show is predictable too. At this point the only thing that will surprise me is (ironically) if Sean Bean is actually dead. But c'mon, he's clearly not and buried up to his knees in the kidnapping.

I think it's going to go one of two ways. Bean's death was faked so he could go, deep, deep undercover and now the bad guys have kidnapped Michael to use as leverage against him.

Or ...

Bean is the one responsible for the kidnapping and he was a double/sleeper agent whose death was faked so he could be pulled out. All the photos watching Michael growing up? Yep, that's Bean watching his son grow from afar. Now he's taking him back because he really does love him. I wouldn't be surprised if it's for a soapy reason and Bean found out about the affair and is pissed enough to steal Michael for custody.

The biggest "clue" this episode was that "the man who killed your husband has your son" which seemed like an obvious misdirection.

The man who "killed" Rebecca's husband is probably Bean. Her "husband" was just an assumed cover and Bean destroyed that with a bomb and escaped to his original identity.

You know, just like how Darth Vader killed Luke's father.
post #18 of 53
Quote:


Ms. Judd (Franchitti) says 10 episodes were shot, mostly in Europe.

Quote:


Production was based in Prague, not the United States.

Sounds like a one time shot. Doubtful it will continue unless they move the story back to the US.
post #19 of 53
Thanks for the posts. Recorded the shows but upon reading, I'll be "missing" this show. Life is too short to waste on mediocrity or worse.
post #20 of 53
Last week's episode was filmed in Hvar, Croatia.
post #21 of 53
No Liam Neeson! No watch!
post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post

Does anyone really believe Sean Bean's character is dead? That's too easy. We only saw the car blown up, not who was in it. Seems like a fake-out as was done in GoldenEye. That would give a plausible reason for why the son was kidnapped.

Not only am I going to say he's still alive, I'm going to bet that for some reason he's the one who has his son.
post #23 of 53
I've enjoyed the episodes up until the one this week. For someone that is supposedly a (past) "super" agent, why would Judd's character join up and be such close friends with someone so emotionally insecure as "Mary"? Introducing Mary as a main part of this show ruined it for me. Mary's marriage is breaking up, so she travels half-way around the world to tell Judd's character and get a hug? What a dufus! It makes no sense to me the two would be tight friends. Otherwise, I like the camera work, scene locations, action sequences of the show. But, please, never mention/show Mary again!
post #24 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

The show is predictable too. At this point the only thing that will surprise me is (ironically) if Sean Bean is actually dead. But c'mon, he's clearly not and buried up to his knees in the kidnapping.

****SPOILER ALERT****

Do NOT read further if you want to remain in the dark!

He *may* not be dead (as you state emphatically in your post), but the link below (an interview with Sean Bean) brings out clearly that THERE WILL BE FLASHBACKS. He may turn out to be alive, even with the flashbacks, but *maybe not*.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/03/16/sean-bean-missing/

PS I should mention I JUST found this link...so it was AFTER my post above where I suggested we would see Bean in flashbacks.
post #25 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

He *may* not be dead (as you state emphatically in your post), but the link below (an interview with Sean Bean) brings out clearly that THERE WILL BE FLASHBACKS. He may turn out to be alive, even with the flashbacks, but *maybe not*.
.

Sure, he might be dead, but based on how predictable the show has become I'm not expecting it. Bean always seems to die in film and television so the bigger twist would be for him as an actor.

It's very easy to see all the beats the show is trying to hit well in advance. All the twists are blindingly obvious. Did anyone really not see the diamond smuggler taking a bullet as soon as the order was given? Instead we got a protracted rifle assembly to build up suspense but an obvious ending which wasted it. Same with the exchange last week. Who wasn't saying to the screen "why aren't you telling tell him to take the hood off?" during an obvious double cross?

This week we had the introduction of the teen love interest, who I'm guessing is going to fall for Michael and try to help him escape. That could lead to some teen adventures as they go on the run from the bad guys.

In a lot of ways the show is reminding me of the early episodes of The Event as Jason Ritter attempted to rescue his kidnapped fiancé - who nobody really liked that much.

Dumb moment this week: all the boat guards staring off into space and leaving obvious and massive blind spots. Employees like that are why the bad guys are clearly going to lose.
post #26 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Sure, he might be dead, but based on how predictable the show has become I'm not expecting it. Bean always seems to die in film and television so the bigger twist would be for him as an actor.

It's very easy to see all the beats the show is trying to hit well in advance. All the twists are blindingly obvious. Did anyone really not see the diamond smuggler taking a bullet as soon as the order was given? Instead we got a protracted rifle assembly to build up suspense but an obvious ending which wasted it. Same with the exchange last week. Who wasn't saying to the screen "why aren't you telling tell him to take the hood off?" during an obvious double cross?

Dumb moment this week: all the boat guards staring off into space and leaving obvious and massive blind spots. Employees like that are why the bad guys are clearly going to lose.

I totally agree with your sentiments above regarding the "obvious twists" and the "dumb moment" with the boat guards. In the scene with the assassin, I absolutely knew he was ordered to shoot the blonde, yet how disingenuous was it when they showed him aiming the gun (through the scope) right at Ashley Judd, as if she was the target! That is just plain deception and an insult to viewers' intelligence.
post #27 of 53
All you guys dissing this show should go back to watching the network moneymakers: "reality" shows.
post #28 of 53
It seems this show is one season only, find her son, rescue him (most importantly) and finish..

Kind of a long mini series..

Judd looks a little too oldish with that hairdo and clothes.. but hey, maybe it's supposed to be like that so flashbacks she looks younger (like when she was remembering her son's first words).

Did she performed her own stunts in episode 2? nice climbing. LOL
post #29 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post

I've enjoyed the episodes up until the one this week. For someone that is supposedly a (past) "super" agent, why would Judd's character join up and be such close friends with someone so emotionally insecure as "Mary"? Introducing Mary as a main part of this show ruined it for me. Mary's marriage is breaking up, so she travels half-way around the world to tell Judd's character and get a hug? What a dufus! It makes no sense to me the two would be tight friends. Otherwise, I like the camera work, scene locations, action sequences of the show. But, please, never mention/show Mary again!

I suspect that there is a lot more to Mary than they are letting on. Her traveling to Europe to track down Judd was really far-fetched, but when she appeared at the party, I KNEW that there was a lot more to her than what she was saying.
post #30 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I suspect that there is a lot more to Mary than they are letting on. Her traveling to Europe to track down Judd was really far-fetched, but when she appeared at the party, I KNEW that there was a lot more to her than what she was saying.

Exactly my thoughts. As soon as she said, "airport".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "Missing" on ABC