OK small update
I spent last week at my in-laws framing a box for their fireplace. Overally it came out real nice and they are ready for the fireplace company to come in and install the fireplace.
As for this weekend, I started building the frame for the screen. As usual it was over built it. I think you can hang a tank from:cool:
I could have planned it a little better and used quite a bit less wood but once I set the top plate and bottom plate I was stuck with my plan. I ended up running 5 studs vertically on each side which I really should have run 3 for what I was looking to do but no biggie. I'm real happy with the outcome and only need to build the 45* corners at this point. Everything for the 45* corners is cut but I really needed to do some homework so I had to stop.
Here are some pics of the progress.
I finished the top and bottom with 3/4" maple ply and finished the sides with 3/4" MDF. I would have used all 3/4" Maple but I didn't have enough and at $40 a sheet I wasn't going to buy more.
I used my laser level to set the Seymour / Screen Excellence brackets. That thing is awesome, I checked the accuracy at ~20' and it is spot on. Saved me quite a bit of time in leveling.
I screwed up the sconce lighting for the screen. I think when I did my measurements early on I intended on the screen being about 6" closer to the seating area so I dropped my wiring about there. Looks like I missed the mark so it'll be a little bit of a PITA to fix but shouldn't be too bad.Edited by Larry M - 1/20/13 at 6:58pm