or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The ch.14 "Fire Power" Theater
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The ch.14 "Fire Power" Theater - Page 3

post #61 of 333
Ah, I got ya. When you said, "the PVC that goes left head about 15' - 20' to the future bathroom" I thought the future bathroom was on the first floor. Now I see you mean that is the future vent for the basement bathroom (which is why I was curious about the 2", which as you know wouldn't work for a WC)

If that is all vent piping, then it looks good

Figure 2 that you attached depicts a vent stack and is not something I would refer to.

If I am understanding your plan, it sounds like the future bathroom will work as you describe. Between the lav vent and the sump vent you may not need any more vents if your jurisdiction allows horizontal wet venting.

Sorry for confusing the matter.

Tim
post #62 of 333
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

Ah, I got ya. When you said, "the PVC that goes left head about 15' - 20' to the future bathroom" I thought the future bathroom was on the first floor. Now I see you mean that is the future vent for the basement bathroom (which is why I was curious about the 2", which as you know wouldn't work for a WC)

If that is all vent piping, then it looks good

Figure 2 that you attached depicts a vent stack and is not something I would refer to.

If I am understanding your plan, it sounds like the future bathroom will work as you describe. Between the lav vent and the sump vent you may not need any more vents if your jurisdiction allows horizontal wet venting.

Sorry for confusing the matter.

Tim

No problem on the confusion, it makes total sense now!
Thanks for joining the thread! You made me think about the bathroom some more and now it is documented on the internet and not some random piece of paper in my house that is bound to get lost.

I'm going to glue up my PVC connections and call the town plumbing inspector to come in the next few weeks. Hopefully I can check off this round of fun

Are you good with electrical too? I plan to build my soffits this weekend and start my electrical I have about 1,000 ft of Romex split between 14-2, 14-3, and 12-2 so I'll be hopefully posting more progress.

Actually I do have another question:
The ejector pit cover has a female threaded opening for I assume the vent line. Do I cement the threaded male PVC adapter to the PVC running vertically? I ask because how the heck do I unscrew it later when it needs to come off?
post #63 of 333
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Actually I do have another question:
The ejector pit cover has a female threaded opening for I assume the vent line. Do I cement the threaded male PVC adapter to the PVC running vertically? I ask because how the heck do I unscrew it later when it needs to come off?

Well that was an easy answer, looks like another trip to HD to pick up one of these
2" PVC Union I wonder if I can use a rubber one?
post #64 of 333
Absolutely you can install a union. They make them with glue fittings so you just glue it on. Look for "S x S".

On the discharge side you need a check valve and a full port shutoff valve. It would go pit-->check- valve->full port valve.

The check is usually removable, so no union required on the discharge. Look at Home Depot sku 100180191.

Common sense reason is you need to be able to shut the valve and remove the check for servicing without sewage coming out of the pipe.

Tim
post #65 of 333
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

Absolutely you can install a union. They make them with glue fittings so you just glue it on. Look for "S x S".

On the discharge side you need a check valve and a full port shutoff valve. It would go pit-->check- valve->full port valve.

The check is usually removable, so no union required on the discharge. Look at Home Depot sku 100180191.

Common sense reason is you need to be able to shut the valve and remove the check for servicing without sewage coming out of the pipe.

Tim

Thanks Tim,

This is what I was planning on the waste side
Zoeller 30-0048 Ironically they sell one with a clear check valve...now I want to know what crazy person would want a clear check valve...maybe on a sump pump but no way on a sewage ejector

This is the pump I am going with
Zoeller M-267

Once I close that basin up...I don't want to open it ever again

Not sure which high water alarm I will go with, but right now I am planning Zoeller A-Pak
post #66 of 333
Looks good. Zoeller is a quality manufacturer.
post #67 of 333
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

Looks good. Zoeller is a quality manufacturer.

You know what is entertaining...

When you close the ball valve on your sump pump and forget to tighten the check valve and then testing the sump pump by pooring buckets of water in it

Yeah those sump pumps push a lot of water real fast
post #68 of 333
Thread Starter 
New tool added to the list
FastCap 3rd Hand Support System 57-to-144-Inches Link

I've been wanting this for a while but finally pulled the trigger late last night when I was reading Spaceman's thread and saw this


Even though his tool cost $4.82 and worked perfectly fine, I'll find a lot of use with this for putting up long runs of crown molding, installing cabinets, and several other items where I have said I wish I had someone here to help.
post #69 of 333
Thread Starter 
Next tool on the list is probably a drywall lift. I'm expecting the guy on Thursday to call me today or Tuesday. When I hear his ridiculous # I will order the lift
post #70 of 333
I rented a lift for a day and a friend and I were able to get the ceiling done. I think it was a $25 rental fee.

Tim
post #71 of 333
Thread Starter 
Well I spent about 11 hours in the basement today...sad to report I finished half of a soffit.

Building a soffit around HVAC trunks is such a difficult job. I'll probably spend the good part of tomorrow on it as well.
post #72 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Well I spent about 11 hours in the basement today...sad to report I finished half of a soffit.

Don't get discouraged, the silent lurkers here are all rooting for you..
post #73 of 333
That sounds like good progress to me!
post #74 of 333
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

Don't get discouraged, the silent lurkers here are all rooting for you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs691919 View Post

That sounds like good progress to me!

Thanks guys! I'll post up pics of the "Rocket Soffit" tonight

I finished up the soffit on Sunday, cleaned up my pile of wood. I'm shocked to see that after 5 months I still have about 15 good pieces of 10 footers, and about 8-10 good 8 footers. Total bad lumber is at about 20-25 pieces which is about 10% of my purchase so right in line with expectations.

I've got some odds and ends to go with framing (fireblocking, door header)plus the soffits in the theater and bar but those should be a little easier.

On Monday I started electrical. It really made my weekend finally getting to it. I was hoping to get most of it done but I got a good amount started so that is exciting. I'm going to try and get 1-2 hours a night in on electrical with hopes of finishing it in about 3 weeks.

I need 3 weeks because I'll run some electric through the bar and theater soffits and I won't have my help from my father in law for a little while.
post #75 of 333
Thread Starter 
I present to you the Rocket Soffit...2 days and 1 thumb later








post #76 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

I present to you the Rocket Soffit...2 days and 1 thumb later


Thanks for not posting in gruesome injury photos...
post #77 of 333
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by willscam View Post

Thanks for not posting in gruesome injury photos...

It is healing quite nicely...I can actually feel half my finger now
post #78 of 333
Thread Starter 
No significant updates, just spending more money.

I ordered a drywall lift tool from Amazon (will be here tomorrow---have to love Prime). Decided $150 was better than a rental since there is a 1.64% chance of me finishing the drywall in 4 days at which point I might as well buy it

Also ordered my soundproof material

20 putty pads for electrical outlets
20 gallons of green glue + speedload gun (4 - 5 gallon pails)
12 tubes of acoustical sealant

Once I order a door, i'll order for an automatic bottom door seal. Shout out to John Hile from SoundProofCompany. He was very helpful and as always Ted is a geat resource for the site
post #79 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

I present to you the Rocket Soffit...

Rocket Soffit indeed. You know, if you made that symmetrical, it would look like you wanted it that way...
post #80 of 333
Looking VERY nice. I would never have tackled such a project. My personality would not let me have slept until it was done --- and I would have died.

Hence, I paid someone to do what you are doing.

Not only will you have an outstanding room for music and movies, you should feel very proud of yourself for completing such a project.

GREAT job!!
post #81 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

No significant updates, just spending more money.

I might have to make this my signature!
post #82 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

You know what is entertaining...

When you close the ball valve on your sump pump and forget to tighten the check valve and then testing the sump pump by pooring buckets of water in it

Yeah those sump pumps push a lot of water real fast

It could have been worse. At least you were using clean buckets of water.
Reply
Reply
post #83 of 333
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Looking VERY nice. I would never have tackled such a project. My personality would not let me have slept until it was done --- and I would have died.

Hence, I paid someone to do what you are doing.

Not only will you have an outstanding room for music and movies, you should feel very proud of yourself for completing such a project.

GREAT job!!

Thank You!

Been in the basement since 6AM working on electrical. I needed a break...and some food and your words are inspiring and giving me motivation to get my butt back to work
post #84 of 333
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs691919 View Post

I might have to make this my signature!

Great idea
post #85 of 333
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

It could have been worse. At least you were using clean buckets of water.

Opening the sump pump for the first time and smelling the water that must of sat since they poured the concrete a few years ago was a treat...All 3 floors of my house stunk for a week...Scooping that water out into buckets was not fun eaither, I thought I may start glowing

NOT looking forward to installing the ejector pump for the bathroom and may God have mercy on me that the ejector pump never fails.
post #86 of 333
First time is DIY. After use it would become a plumbers problem in my house.
post #87 of 333
Looking good Larry!
post #88 of 333
Thread Starter 
Rocket Soffit was getting lonely so I decided to make a friend.

This one was pretty easy, it took my father in law and I about 4-5 hours. I still need to do some cross bracing but it is up there rock solid.

The hardest part was getting straight 2x8x8 at Lowes...what a load of garbage they have there. One of the pieces is a bit "cupped" but we were able to work around it.

I present to you the STOP Soffit. It will be located above the bar...I figure I could paint it red and write "If you can read this STOP drinking" with the assumption you have fell over...haha JK





I'm going to call the building inspector to come in this week, I want to go over the theater plans with him and ask him about fireblocking around the soffits I want to build in the theater.

On Saturday I finished a good bit of electrical; now the that STOP soffit is complete, I wire the lights in that and move on to the theater. Oh yeah that is my home made "junction box" in the 2nd pic, this will all be removed once I get my wiring in place
post #89 of 333
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Looking good Larry!

Thanks Tony!
post #90 of 333
Thread Starter 
For those concerned with my thumb...It is doing a lot better as of yesterday morning

Until I was putting wire staples in and missed with the hammer but didn't miss my thumb. I took my frustration out on my ladder and now I have a new tool holding slot in my ladder
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The ch.14 "Fire Power" Theater