or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 356

post #10651 of 16129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post



"definitely the CE dimming is better on my panels because before I had to have brightness on 49 -50 where now, I can have it on 42 - 45 without noticing it dim on standard like I did before."

This would mean the CE dimming work-around several have been using here is then no longer need. The overly increased brightness level and white balance RGB offset values set super low.

Curious to see what others have to say.

Digimat - I've only updated. No resets and all that. I have not stated anything about PQ improvement with the latest FM. Just to clarify.
Edited by Op's Guy - 1/25/13 at 10:10am
post #10652 of 16129
Heres a pic i just took of my 65" with Comcast Cable playing

I've never had Inky black bars with NO Flash-lighting in any corners like this before my update

.
post #10653 of 16129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Op's Guy View Post

This would mean the CE dimming work-around several have been using here is then no longer need. The overly increased brightness level and white balance RGB offset values set super low.

Curious to see what others have to say. I've only updated. No resets and all that.

Yeah, I'll reset my Standard settings and check this out. It seems every time there is an update, a few people mention this but I have yet to notice it. Remember though, I'm on a 7500, and it's possible that CE is effected by the MD zones, which the 7500 has half of.... supposedly.
post #10654 of 16129
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

Clearly you all must have had a different update.... I notice no change in pic quality...

I can't say I noticed anything big, as far as colors and such, but I am noticing the difference of less clouding and flashlighting while in Movie mode, making blacks seem more in line with Standard. I think this is the first update where I could say that, except perhaps 3 or 4 weeks after I got the TV, but I think that was just my TV settling. I also think I'm noticing a brighter picture, specifically in Standard, which may mean I'll be dropping my backlight or brightness after I go through it with the WOW BD, AVS files and my eye. If that's the case, then blacks would appear even better so I'm curious how that turns out.
post #10655 of 16129
I'm pretty hesitant that even with a factory reset the same settings will have different results.... that doesn't make any sense.

If with every update I need to factory reset my TV to take full advantage of the update then that's a fail.
post #10656 of 16129
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

I'm pretty hesitant that even with a factory reset the same settings will have different results.... that doesn't make any sense.

If with every update I need to factory reset my TV to take full advantage of the update then that's a fail.

I agree, trust me! I never heard of having to do this either, until a few updates ago a member named "Nitra" who seemed to know his stuff when it came to Samsung TVs said that sometimes you have to do a reset. I never did one before this, but after I updated my set with this FW, I didn't see any change either so that's when I did a full reset. I think its ridiculous that we have to do this though.
post #10657 of 16129
contacted samsung again bout FW 001046 release notes...here's the transcript...they promised me the release notes on FW 001046 in 2 business days.... eek.gif


Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Silver'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK56402500259X

Silver: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?

Visitor: I have the un46es8000

Visitor: just updated the firmware to 001046

Visitor: what does this firmware actually do?

Silver: I'll be glad to help you with the information.

Visitor: I hope so...

Silver: Could you please provide me with the serial number of the TV?

Silver: You can find the serial number on the rear panel of the TV.

Visitor: I'm not at home now...the model number is un46es8000

Visitor: I do not have the serial number

Silver: No problem. I'll help you with the information.

Visitor: thanx

Silver: Firmware's are released to fix the comparability issues with the apps and other issues on the TV.

Visitor: such as?

Silver: Firmware is a software program resided on the TV.

Visitor: I know that

Silver: If there is an issue with certain app with poor picture quality, the firmware update can fix the issue.

Visitor: Im a software engineer

Visitor: I know how it works

Silver: If there is an other issues like video quality and sound issues then they are corrected by the firmware update.

Visitor: I need the release notes on this latest one

Silver: Sure, I'll provide you with the information.

Silver: Follow the link below for your model TV:

Silver: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN46ES8000FXZA

Silver: Click on the link to open the page.

Silver: Please go to Manuals & Downloads and select firmware.

Visitor: been there, done that...it does not state the release notes for 001046...

Visitor: only for the lastone 001041

Visitor: thats why Im contacting you in the 1st place

Silver: Click on the title " Upgrade File (Firmware) (ver.1041.1) " in the firmware title to see the notes of the latest firmware.

Visitor: 001041 is not the lastest....

Visitor: 001046 is...

Silver: I apologize for the inconvenience.

Silver: I see that the our Samsung web site has not been update with latest firmware version information.

Silver: Thanks for the information you have provided.

Visitor: yes...it need to be updates ASAP

Silver: I'll forward the details to the appropriate department so that they will work on this.

Silver: I appreciate for the information you have provided to us.

Visitor: SO YOU CANT GIVE ME ANY INFO ON 001046 HUH?

Silver: Sure, you will see the information on the Website.

Visitor: when

Silver: I'm sorry: we don't have information regarding the latest firmware update. I'll make a note on this, you can see the notes for the latest firmware with in 2 business days.

Silver: Can I be of any further assistance?

Visitor: I will hold you to that...I will be back in 2 business days...

Visitor: thanx...

Visitor: bye

Silver: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Visitor: no thnax bye
post #10658 of 16129
Your just wasting your time with them.. They will never know about this and even if they did, I wouldn't trust anything that they say. I saw recently that on Cnet forums Samsung responds to consumers questions. I wonder if that would be a good place to go to for this info.
post #10659 of 16129
Thanks for the update, EndeaverouX.

Side note: I know some of you guys have DirecTV. I believe it was yesterday that they implemented HD versions of ID, LMN, and TV Land.
post #10660 of 16129
Here's another pic I took after I hooked up my New Onkyo 818 Receiver. The Video Processor is Amazing on this Onkyo. As you can see, You can clearly see the actors makeup and pores, and this is just from Comcast Cable. Not Blu Ray..

post #10661 of 16129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

Thanks for the update, EndeaverouX.

Side note: I know some of you guys have DirecTV. I believe it was yesterday that they implemented HD versions of ID, LMN, and TV Land.

Garnoch, was it Nitra that told us all that sometimes we have to do a full reset after updating the FW? I think it was but I can't remember for sure.
post #10662 of 16129
He may have been one of them, but several people had tried it here with good results. I was surprised too, because you just shouldn't have to do it. I've never done it though.
post #10663 of 16129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

He may have been one of them, but several people had tried it here with good results. I was surprised too, because you just shouldn't have to do it. I've never done it though.

I never did either until yesterday. After Areanman told me that the picture improved a lot after the FW updates they recovered in the UK, I was ready to do whatever to see these improvements so after I did the update and didn't see any difference, then I did the reset and believe it or not, the factory settings are pretty close now. Except for the sharpness being on 50.
post #10664 of 16129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

Thanks for the update, EndeaverouX.

Side note: I know some of you guys have DirecTV. I believe it was yesterday that they implemented HD versions of ID, LMN, and TV Land.

Very nice...always love new HD content. You guys are gonna talk me into doing a full reset now. I have done it once before, and I suppose I should do it again - not looking forward to tweaking all of my settings again, but in the quest for the perfect picture, you guys have sucked me in.
post #10665 of 16129
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7011jrs View Post

Very nice...always love new HD content. You guys are gonna talk me into doing a full reset now. I have done it once before, and I suppose I should do it again - not looking forward to tweaking all of my settings again, but in the quest for the perfect picture, you guys have sucked me in.

Maybe wait until more people do it? I don't want you to get mad if you don't see any change lol! trust me though, I would be the 1st one to find Samsung's fault and say something about it and to me it seems the CE dimming is better and the panels have better black levels now.
I also have Dynamic Contrast on low and black tone on low
post #10666 of 16129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

Maybe wait until more people do it? I don't want you to get mad if you don't see any change lol! trust me though, I would be the 1st one to find Samsung's fault and say something about it and to me it seems the CE dimming is better and the panels have better black levels now.
I also have Dynamic Contrast on low and black tone on low

I usually don't notice much of a difference with the FW updates...I did notice a change to the intensity of the dimming from light to dark scenes a couple of versions back. To me it was significant enough to go from being fairly obvious to pretty much not noticeable at all.

My guess is this may the last FW update for a long time, given the pending release of the EVO kit and F Series.
post #10667 of 16129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

I agree, trust me! I never heard of having to do this either, until a few updates ago a member named "Nitra" who seemed to know his stuff when it came to Samsung TVs said that sometimes you have to do a reset. I never did one before this, but after I updated my set with this FW, I didn't see any change either so that's when I did a full reset. I think its ridiculous that we have to do this though.

FYI - I noticed the difference without the full reset - - primarily the improvement in blacks and dimming. Easily seen (scene smile.gif) - - with credits at the end of a movie. Before, they were darkened, severely! Now they show up fine.

For grins - -has anybody seen the flick "Killer Joe?" Not exactly a family movie. First scene - - hint, trailer park door opens - - let's you know that this is going to be a different movie!

And it gives a whole new meaning to KFC drumsticks.
post #10668 of 16129
Rico, as I am looking forward to testing things out with a meter I am curious about how your blacks are better. It is pretty much impossible for me to meter transient things like dimming, the meters continuous read out just isn't fast enough in the "Dark" to provide meaningful feedback, so how well dimming is working is probably going to remain subjective.

But just better blacks well maybe that is something we can measure. I wonder if it just a software adjustment that gives a flatter or more 1886 like gamma curve for "normal" settings? If that is the case, then such a firmware change might take an already flattened gamma curve and move it around....MIght be easy to measure. Anyway, just curious about what you mean by better so I can try to figure out what to test...
post #10669 of 16129
Can someone fill me in on how to do a factory reset? I'm such a sucker....
post #10670 of 16129
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

Can someone fill me in on how to do a factory reset? I'm such a sucker....

LOL! Go Into settngs, then support and go Into "self Diagnosis" and and you will see "reset" and enter 0000.

Maybe just try resetting the picture modes before doing this update? Then if you don't see any difference you can do this full reset. What I mean by reset just the picture modes is go into the picture settings and under each setting like Movie, Standard on the bottom there's a reset option. It will just reset your picture settings to the default settings.
Edited by Anthony5362 - 1/25/13 at 12:34pm
post #10671 of 16129
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman9 View Post

Rico, as I am looking forward to testing things out with a meter I am curious about how your blacks are better. It is pretty much impossible for me to meter transient things like dimming, the meters continuous read out just isn't fast enough in the "Dark" to provide meaningful feedback, so how well dimming is working is probably going to remain subjective.

But just better blacks well maybe that is something we can measure. I wonder if it just a software adjustment that gives a flatter or more 1886 like gamma curve for "normal" settings? If that is the case, then such a firmware change might take an already flattened gamma curve and move it around....MIght be easy to measure. Anyway, just curious about what you mean by better so I can try to figure out what to test...

Just my eyes, so far, in noticing the black levels and in two areas - (1) film credits, again, a real easy barometer to test. My movie credits (Standard setting, backlight at 12, Brightness at 40 - no other special processing) prior to this update always darkened, significantly (dimming?) It was very noticeable. (2) Darker movies like Harry Potter or Sherlock Holmes - - before, there was a lot of black crush - - I could see it compared to my "Movie" setting. Now, virtually gone. And I check by playing the scene (DirecTV) pausing it, then switching viewing modes and looking at the content.

I do not know if you have any reference point on my examples - - especially the movie credits at the end of the flick. That is where I really can tell the difference.
post #10672 of 16129
How does one do a factory reset? What do you mean by just resetting the picture modes? Now you've got me at the door of the airplane with the parachute on lol.
post #10673 of 16129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

FYI - I noticed the difference without the full reset - - primarily the improvement in blacks and dimming. Easily seen (scene smile.gif) - - with credits at the end of a movie. Before, they were darkened, severely! Now they show up fine.

For grins - -has anybody seen the flick "Killer Joe?" Not exactly a family movie. First scene - - hint, trailer park door opens - - let's you know that this is going to be a different movie!

And it gives a whole new meaning to KFC drumsticks.

The chicken drumstick scene was very, very amusing... I hope it was supposed to be !!!! Maybe I'm a sicko
post #10674 of 16129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Just my eyes, so far, in noticing the black levels and in two areas - (1) film credits, again, a real easy barometer to test. My movie credits (Standard setting, backlight at 12, Brightness at 40 - no other special processing) prior to this update always darkened, significantly (dimming?) It was very noticeable. (2) Darker movies like Harry Potter or Sherlock Holmes - - before, there was a lot of black crush - - I could see it compared to my "Movie" setting. Now, virtually gone. And I check by playing the scene (DirecTV) pausing it, then switching viewing modes and looking at the content.

I do not know if you have any reference point on my examples - - especially the movie credits at the end of the flick. That is where I really can tell the difference.

Rico, your settings are very close to mine. What's your contrast at? I have mine on 85 on standard mode.
post #10675 of 16129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

I can't say I noticed anything big, as far as colors and such, but I am noticing the difference of less clouding and flashlighting while in Movie mode, making blacks seem more in line with Standard. I think this is the first update where I could say that, except perhaps 3 or 4 weeks after I got the TV, but I think that was just my TV settling. I also think I'm noticing a brighter picture, specifically in Standard, which may mean I'll be dropping my backlight or brightness after I go through it with the WOW BD, AVS files and my eye. If that's the case, then blacks would appear even better so I'm curious how that turns out.

Garnoch, I noticed it being brighter as well in standard which made me lower my brightness to 42. I couldn't use standard mode before this because my eyes were too sensitive to the dimming and having the brightness at 50 to reduce the CE dimming didn't look good on my panels.
post #10676 of 16129
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post

How does one do a factory reset? What do you mean by just resetting the picture modes? Now you've got me at the door of the airplane with the parachute on lol.

You can reset a single picture mode by going into the mode, for example "Movie", and the last thing in the first page is the "Reset Settings" or something like that. That is only going to reset that picture modes settings back to default. The other reset in the "Support" menu is going to reset everything, including all picture modes back to default. The only thing that doesn't get reset is your network settings.
post #10677 of 16129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

Rico, your settings are very close to mine. What's your contrast at? I have mine on 85 on standard mode.

Anthony - Contrast at 90 - - pretty close. Backlight down to 40 - - plenty bright enough!
post #10678 of 16129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

Garnoch, I noticed it being brighter as well in standard which made me lower my brightness to 42. I couldn't use standard mode before this because my eyes were too sensitive to the dimming and having the brightness at 50 to reduce the CE dimming didn't look good on my panels.

Okay, wasn't sure if that one was my imagination. I'm still seeing less light bleed and I haven't turned anything down yet. If it bothers you, remember that a backlight lower than 46 will turn the screen off dying black scenes. This sounds crazy to me, but I may even turn my eco sensor setting down a notch to 3 on Movie mode.
post #10679 of 16129
Does anyone else's tv menus slutter real bad while scrolling. I mostly notice it with amp on standard or smooth. I swear it wasnt doing that before I had my board replaced.
post #10680 of 16129
Have never seen that one
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread