or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 44

post #1291 of 16128
Nitra,

Plugged in your settings.. and the picture is fantastic! So far, so good. I don't see any clouding or flashlight effects. I popped in one of the Harry Potter movies and it was a tad bit dark in a few scenes. What settings would I change if I wanted to brighten up the picture just a tad?

Thanks!
post #1292 of 16128
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyjake View Post

Nitra,

Plugged in your settings.. and the picture is fantastic! So far, so good. I don't see any clouding or flashlight effects. I popped in one of the Harry Potter movies and it was a tad bit dark in a few scenes. What settings would I change if I wanted to brighten up the picture just a tad?

Thanks!

I would suggest upping the brightness in the pic settings a couple notches and also try upping the backlight as well.
post #1293 of 16128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave1693 View Post

Is the es8000 any better than the es7500. I like the black border on the es7500 better than the shinny border on the 8000. I also like the swivel stand that comes with the es7500. The es7500 is available at my local bestbuy and I have to order the es8000.

The only difference I believe between the two sets is:

- Samsung's "clear motion rating" which is a bit higher on the ES8000 but likely not noticeable in practice - somebody can correct me here if I've misunderstand the CMR but I thought that was in reference to using the motion interpolation, and the smoothness which can be achieved through it. For normal viewing without frame interpolation enabled (judder reduction), I didn't think the CMR rating applied. Is this incorrect?

- The ES7500 has micro dimming pro, the ES8000 has micro dimming ultimate. From what I've heard in interviews, they use the same techniques, but the ultimate has twice the zones for analyzing, means potentially more accurate image processing using micro dimming. I'm not sure how visible the difference is in the real world, but it sounds like a plus. Otherwise the micro dimming analyzes everything the same - both the pro and the ultimate look at multiple factors when analyzing the image, as opposed to the micro dimming standard, which only considers 1 factor.

Also, the stand is different. The ES8000 doesn't swivel due to it's design.

I just bought the ES7500 a couple weeks ago and I think the image looks pretty stunning. It really does. Yes there's some clouding, and the viewing angle isn't super, but the set is really pretty amazing. I couldn't afford the ES8000 - we just couldn't justify the added expense, but the ES7500 was doable for us. And I liked the swivel stand which is invaluable for us, especially with the viewing angle being so limited.
post #1294 of 16128
Thanks Nitra and Eagles_2 for your replies. I went ahead and order the 60 inch ES8000 which I should be getting by friday.

Thanks again.
post #1295 of 16128
Awesome. You're in for a treat.

The more I watch on this set, the more I'm amazed at the image quality. Just flipping through FiOS channels is unbelievable. Everything looks almost three dimensional there's so much detail and clarity. And the motion is superb.

Just be sure to tweak the settings when it arrives. It looks horrible out of the box, but it doesn't take much to get it looking first-class. Between CNET's posted settings for the D8000 which I think work fantastic, or other calibrated settings posted by Nitra and others, I'm sure you'll find something you're happy with.
post #1296 of 16128
anyone here get a tv from east coast tvs there prices are really cheap
post #1297 of 16128
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyjake View Post

Nitra,
Plugged in your settings.. and the picture is fantastic! So far, so good. I don't see any clouding or flashlight effects. I popped in one of the Harry Potter movies and it was a tad bit dark in a few scenes. What settings would I change if I wanted to brighten up the picture just a tad?
Thanks!

Bump up the ECO sensor a notch.
post #1298 of 16128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmithoh23 View Post

anyone here get a tv from east coast tvs there prices are really cheap

i almost did, but I was able to have Amazon price match a competitor and get the TV for cheaper than East Coast TV's smile.gif
post #1299 of 16128
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitra View Post

Bump up the ECO sensor a notch.


I have my eco sensor to bottom out at 4. I've noticed in order for that to work it has to be pitch dark in your room (no light from other rooms/other TV's/computer screens etc.) Which I have at night time and the picture just pops like you wouldn't believe. If the other room light is on and some of the light is coming into the room I've noticed the picture looks a tad bit to dark. I would not go higher than around 5 or 6 with the eco though in dark rooms because then you will have a pic that looks a tad bit washed out. The eco sensor at 4 for me works in pitch dark and looks fantastic!
post #1300 of 16128
Well I received my first 55ES7500 yesterday. Dead pixel on right side of screen, so automatic no go on this one. What I did notice though (after calibrating based on Nitra's settings) is that their was still pronounced clouding in the top left and top right corners when watching in a dark room. Even in brighter scenes on movies and TV you can see a greyish cloud over the picture. Plus an almost needle-like light from the bottom left corner which makes me believe the TV was probably dropped on the corner and bent the light tube. Lastly, the infamous "V" of clouding light was apparent above the Samsung logo.....even when I turned the light off it was still there. Please tell me I just got a realllllly bad set, and the next one "should" be better. I have gone from 3 LG 55LM7600's (horrible flashlighting) to 3 Samsung PN60E7000's (terrible directional buzz) and have now chosen the ES7500 as my last hope for a normal TV.
post #1301 of 16128
I think that if you are to be happy, you'll have to accept the limitations of the technologies of either plasma or LCDs. Seven sets seems like a lot to go through. Your expectations may not be realistic. That being said, you should probably play the panel lottery since you got a below average panel. Best of luck to you.
post #1302 of 16128
well i think im sending the vt50 back i have put alot of thought in to it and its a beautiful tv it really is and the blacks are pretty damn amazing the show the universe looks great but at times objects flash and in horz pan shots there is bad juttering and flashing and it looks horrible and the picture isnt as clear as it should be i know that the es has decent blacks but its so much more brighter . but to the eye is there a big difference . and i want to know a good place to get the 55es8000 or the 55es7500 from if i have flashlighting or clouding , bleeding, dead pix so i can send it back till i get one that is really good and anyone here switch from the vt50 to the es series thanks
post #1303 of 16128
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenDokuYaku View Post

I think that if you are to be happy, you'll have to accept the limitations of the technologies of either plasma or LCDs. Seven sets seems like a lot to go through. Your expectations may not be realistic. That being said, you should probably play the panel lottery since you got a below average panel. Best of luck to you.

I agree that it is alot of sets to go through, but I think my luck is just worse than my expectations. Half the sets have had dead pixels, the other half (LG) were booting off/on because of some issue they have.

I could be wrong, but aren't these thin LED/LCD sets supposed to be transported standing upright and not standing on their side or flat? I told Best Buy when the delivery truck arrived, they were pulling the TV out from being sandwiched between a bunch of other boxes and it was transported on its side the whole day. I would imagine the fragile light tubes in the sides of the TV would be easily bent causing damage....could be wrong but the GM of the store looked pissed when I told him how it was delivered.

Who really knows, but hope the next one atleast has no dead pixels.
post #1304 of 16128
Heck ya they are supposed to be transported standing up. Don't settle for anything less than that. That could no doubt affect it. Geez, I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck. At least you're buying from a place with a good return policy. I didn't mean to imply that you were too picky. You deserve to get a decent panel with the kind of money you spent. I have a feeling your next panel will be a good one. :-)

Let us know.
post #1305 of 16128
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfin3591 View Post

Lastly, the infamous "V" of clouding light was apparent above the Samsung logo.....even when I turned the light off it was still there.

I wish I knew what this was about. I have that "V" shaped clouding above the Samsung logo also, and the logo is off. It's actually pretty large, and if that was gone, it would make quite a difference on the amount of clouding visible on the screen. My girlfriend noticed it right away and said it looked like a "V", and that was before I ever mentioned to her that others have noticed the same thing.
post #1306 of 16128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmithoh23 View Post

well i think im sending the vt50 back i have put alot of thought in to it and its a beautiful tv it really is and the blacks are pretty damn amazing the show the universe looks great but at times objects flash and in horz pan shots there is bad juttering and flashing and it looks horrible and the picture isnt as clear as it should be i know that the es has decent blacks but its so much more brighter . but to the eye is there a big difference . and i want to know a good place to get the 55es8000 or the 55es7500 from if i have flashlighting or clouding , bleeding, dead pix so i can send it back till i get one that is really good and anyone here switch from the vt50 to the es series thanks

I just exchanged my 65VT50 for the 60ES8000. So far I'm happy, but I have noticed the flashlight effect and the extreme sharpness takes some getting used to. This TV is sexy as hell! I was watching a Harry Potter Bluray yesterday and couldn't tell where the letterbox bars ended and the picture began in a few scenes! How's that for black, blacks! I could see the letterbox/image on the VT50 and I had calibration settings plugged in and tried all of the VT50's "special" modes.
post #1307 of 16128
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyjake View Post

I just exchanged my 65VT50 for the 60ES8000. So far I'm happy, but I have noticed the flashlight effect and the extreme sharpness takes some getting used to. This TV is sexy as hell! I was watching a Harry Potter Bluray yesterday and couldn't tell where the letterbox bars ended and the picture began in a few scenes! How's that for black, blacks! I could see the letterbox/image on the VT50 and I had calibration settings plugged in and tried all of the VT50's "special" modes.
well im going to exstange it with amazon im tired of having to be careful what i watch even after the break in period i still get ir yah it goes away but it gets on my nerves what do you like most about the es over the vt
post #1308 of 16128
i might just order the vt50 down the road after the price falls more i was gonna keep it and get the es anyway but if i send the vt back and order the es now cause the price for the vt is 200 cheaper than i paid after 20 days so i fig if i order it later this year i will get it for alot cheaper and i will have the es as my main tv and i can put the vt in the back room
post #1309 of 16128
anybody know of any es7500 reviews i cant find any anywhere
post #1310 of 16128
I haven't found a single review of the ES7500 anywhere. I read the reviews on the ES8000 because they're so close. I'm surprised CNET hasn't reviewed the ES8000 yet.
post #1311 of 16128
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

I haven't found a single review of the ES7500 anywhere. I read the reviews on the ES8000 because they're so close. I'm surprised CNET hasn't reviewed the ES8000 yet.
yah i know you would have figured how long its been out they havent done it yet
post #1312 of 16128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmithoh23 View Post

well im going to exstange it with amazon im tired of having to be careful what i watch even after the break in period i still get ir yah it goes away but it gets on my nerves what do you like most about the es over the vt

I didn't like the VT50 for the following reasons;

These are all issues with plasma technology but in some instances the VT50 is worse than other plasmas

1) Dithering
2) Buzzing
3) Flickering
4) Power consumption
5) Lack of brightness
6) Heat produced
7) Stupid eye piercing red led when the tv is on
8) Lack of sharpness
9) VT50 lack of ability to clearly process fios hd signals

So far the ES8000 has been great. You will have to deal with clouding & the flashlight effect to some degree depend on what calibration settings you decide to use. Also the extreme sharpness take getting used to. I believe this is what is called the Soap Opera Effect?
post #1313 of 16128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmithoh23 View Post

i might just order the vt50 down the road after the price falls more i was gonna keep it and get the es anyway but if i send the vt back and order the es now cause the price for the vt is 200 cheaper than i paid after 20 days so i fig if i order it later this year i will get it for alot cheaper and i will have the es as my main tv and i can put the vt in the back room

Just before Father's Day Sears had the 65VT50 for $2,999.98 and I had Best Buy price match it so I got a good price. I just couldn't deal with the plasma's issues. I definitely think prices will continue to fall, especially once the OLED & 4K sets hit the market later this year.
post #1314 of 16128
Just wanted to let everyone know that the 2012 Panasonic TY-ER3D4MU 3D glasses work with the ES8000 series tv's. Amazon has them for $52 a pair right now. In my opinion they are superior to the Samsung glasses because of the feel & fit. They fit like regular sunglasses and block out light from your peripheral view which is a must when viewing 3D content for a submersive experience.

Both the Samsung & Panasonic glasses use Bluetooth and must be synced with the TV.
post #1315 of 16128
well im gonna send the vt50 back and get the es either the 55es8000 or the 60es7500 and then down the road get the vt50 when the price is alot lower or the st50 cause its pretty similar and alot cheaper
post #1316 of 16128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmithoh23 View Post

well im gonna send the vt50 back and get the es either the 55es8000 or the 60es7500 and then down the road get the vt50 when the price is alot lower or the st50 cause its pretty similar and alot cheaper
east caost tvs has the 55es8000 2320 and the 60es7500 for 2402 so pretty similar prices
post #1317 of 16128
any of you have the d8000 also i was thinking about that to if its the right price is the picture quality better on the es8000 or the d8000
post #1318 of 16128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmithoh23 View Post

any of you have the d8000 also i was thinking about that to if its the right price is the picture quality better on the es8000 or the d8000
I had my old d8k exchanged due to various reasons. I much prefer the es, haven't seen clouding or flashlighting yet.
post #1319 of 16128
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenDokuYaku View Post

Heck ya they are supposed to be transported standing up. Don't settle for anything less than that. That could no doubt affect it. Geez, I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck. At least you're buying from a place with a good return policy. I didn't mean to imply that you were too picky. You deserve to get a decent panel with the kind of money you spent. I have a feeling your next panel will be a good one. :-)
Let us know.

No worries man...no offense taken. I sure hope I get a "well cared for" tv, if that even exists in the delivery/transport world. I'm staying optimistic about this set though.
post #1320 of 16128
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

I wish I knew what this was about. I have that "V" shaped clouding above the Samsung logo also, and the logo is off. It's actually pretty large, and if that was gone, it would make quite a difference on the amount of clouding visible on the screen. My girlfriend noticed it right away and said it looked like a "V", and that was before I ever mentioned to her that others have noticed the same thing.

I have the ES7150, and had to go through 3 sets, not by choice, and all have that v shape clouding that has been mentioned. The third one isn't too bad but is still there and I'm hoping it goes away a little more with use.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread