or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 463

post #13861 of 16126
Yesterday I decided to give the UN60ES a 3D test. I found some content on the Smart Hub and watched several 3D videos including Machu Picchu, scuba diving off the coast of Thailand and a fairly long video of the 2011 Indy 500. As I've been saying all along, I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the latest techno gagdgetry nor 3D, however, I must say that I'm pretty much impressed with the 3D capabilities of this set. The scuba diving video was most impressive.

Due to reading much of what's been posted here, I decided to look for the misgivings that the HS01 panel are supposed to have. From the content that I watched, I did see the occasional double imaging but it was very seldom. Hardly enough to ruin the 3D experience. I even got the wife to try it out thinking that if she can watch it without experiencing any motion sickness, it can't be that bad. She actually enjoyed it. Now, she's looking for 3D movies to watch on Bell Expressvu. Good luck. 3D content is pretty slim there.

I'm not suggesting that anyone take my endorsement of the UN60's 3D capabilities as gospel. However, from one layman to another, I think it's pretty good. But, again, I've never watched 3D on a TV with "excellent" 3D capability.
post #13862 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post

great.. now the guy is going to look for it and then find some and be mad.

if you were nice, you should just tell him to do himself a favor don't worry about it. lol

nah i already read the forums before I got my TV so i kind of knew what to expect but since having my TV i really havent had any complaints, but didnt know if I was looking for it correctly.
post #13863 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post

great.. now the guy is going to look for it and then find some and be mad.

if you were nice, you should just tell him to do himself a favor don't worry about it. lol


umm you have a 60 inch that is gorgeous in comparison to what he has in his 65. I thought I was doing him a favor by steering him towards the one he even says looks best, the 60 rolleyes.gif
post #13864 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycshadow View Post

nah i already read the forums before I got my TV so i kind of knew what to expect but since having my TV i really havent had any complaints, but didnt know if I was looking for it correctly.

if you don't care its all good. I think its best to go into these things eyes wide open while you still have an exchange period, that way you get the choice. I very nearly missed my exchange window with amazon while samsung warranty service put me through hoops to get to a rejected claim. I wish more people had given me the hard facts before hand...that's why I come to video/audiophile central in the first place. Enjoy the tv.
post #13865 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

if you don't care its all good. I think its best to go into these things eyes wide open while you still have an exchange period, that way you get the choice. I very nearly missed my exchange window with amazon while samsung warranty service put me through hoops to get to a rejected claim. I wish more people had given me the hard facts before hand...that's why I come to video/audiophile central in the first place. Enjoy the tv.

i hear what you're saying I just bought mine 2 weeks ago, plus i have the extended warranty with Best Buy so I think i'll be good now, i'm waiting for a football (NFL) game to come on to really decide since that's what I am really looking forward to watching on this tv.
post #13866 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Yes, BigNewt and Rico are two regulars who have 65ES8000s that they are happy with. But as mentioned, banding will be present to a certain degree on ANY led set 65 and larger especially on panning sequences.... So it's not just a Samsung issue, rather an issue with manufacturing and the technology in general for these large panels.

Also, don't be too hard on yourself. At some point you would have noticed the banding and found your way in here. Better to know now and have realistic expectations when you do choosr a tv than being stuck with a tv that you are not happy with or mired in a warranty claim.

Add me to that list.
post #13867 of 16126
I spent another 30 minutes with ES8000. It's funny. I cannot accept the out of the box performance of 7100. The ES8000 out of the box looks great - better than 7100. Blacks are better and images are sharper (Could be due to the black). I spent hours calibrating 7100 b/c I wasn't happy. I can actually live with ES8000 before tweaking.

It could be that when I opened the 7100, I came from the Panasonic GT50. Now I come to 8000 from 7100. The 7500 I saw didn't move me but 8000 did.
post #13868 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by parodielin View Post

I was actually going to give vertical banding a try. The uniformility is not as good as HS01 but that might be acceptable. The light pixel now bothers me.

Return it, i had 3 dead pixels on an old sammy LCD 2 in corner & 1 DEAD center while gaming.
After 3 months of that sucker dead center of the screen eye balling me i ended up punching it.
RETURN before u spazz out like i did, gamers HATE dead pixels/input lag like sports fans HATE vert band, like movie lovers hate uniformity issues & light flashlighting !!
Edited by OugaBooga - 3/21/13 at 12:29pm
post #13869 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanin1979 View Post

Ha. I also feel stuck as I must have a 65"+ in order to fit my space. I am leaning towards just pulling the trigger already on the 65ES8000 from Amazon. But what seems to keep me from doing so is the doom and gloom in this thread. Is anyone really happy with their 65" panel? I really think if I had avoided this thread I probably could have just lived with the banding but now if I am to buy the TV I am going to look for the banding every minute I watch. eek.gif Hope I will eventually be able to get over it since I am not sure I can wait for the F panel anymore and will be a bit too pricey on a TV currently.
I'm more than happy with mine. I only saw the flashlighting thing once during a movie where the entire screen went all black, and something started to appear in the center. I could see a little bit of light leaking in from the bottom corners. I think I have seen a little vertical banding watching golf, but if I hadn't come to this forum I would have assumed it was just the way the sky/fairwar looked, or the camera. But I don't put pure color slides up and look at them or anything. I pretty much stick to Garnoch's Standard settings, and I think I turned on the Black Enhancer to low. I might also add that the 3D experience on this set is superb. I rent discs from that 3d-blueray website for $16/month and have loved every one of them using the stock glasses. I even like the BD picture setting that it sometimes automatically selects when I put in a disc.
Edited by thebignewt - 3/21/13 at 12:16pm
post #13870 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarob View Post

Yesterday I decided to give the UN60ES a 3D test. I found some content on the Smart Hub and watched several 3D videos including Machu Picchu, scuba diving off the coast of Thailand and a fairly long video of the 2011 Indy 500. As I've been saying all along, I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the latest techno gagdgetry nor 3D, however, I must say that I'm pretty much impressed with the 3D capabilities of this set. The scuba diving video was most impressive.

Due to reading much of what's been posted here, I decided to look for the misgivings that the HS01 panel are supposed to have. From the content that I watched, I did see the occasional double imaging but it was very seldom. Hardly enough to ruin the 3D experience. I even got the wife to try it out thinking that if she can watch it without experiencing any motion sickness, it can't be that bad. She actually enjoyed it. Now, she's looking for 3D movies to watch on Bell Expressvu. Good luck. 3D content is pretty slim there.

I'm not suggesting that anyone take my endorsement of the UN60's 3D capabilities as gospel. However, from one layman to another, I think it's pretty good. But, again, I've never watched 3D on a TV with "excellent" 3D capability.

I agree 100%. I have had the HS01 60" for several months and have been searching for something to complain about regarding 3D... But I love it. Never experienced "opposite-of-buyer's remorse" ever like with this TV. Big hockey fan, no banding no problem. Big golf fan, no banding no problem. Big 3D fan, no banding no problem. Just bought the Hobbit 3D and can't wait to watch. I now own over a dozen 3D movies, and to date I probably ever bought a dozen movies dating all the way back to VHS. Call it an addiction if you want, I just keep feeding it... Can't recommend the 60” ES enough.
post #13871 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by OugaBooga View Post

Return it, i had 3 dead pixels on an old sammy LCD 2 in corner & 1 DEAD center while gaming.
After 3 months of that sucker dead center of the screen eye balling me i ended up punching it.
RETURN before u spazz out like i did, gamers HATE dead pixels/input lag like sports fans HATE vert band, like movie lovers hate uniformity issues & light flashlighting !!

I'll try a game tonight. I'll try a golf game (VB?). I really cannot see it when watching programs. But gaming might be a different story.

The other question is: Can dead pixel be fixed? or fixing means replace the screen?
Edited by parodielin - 3/21/13 at 1:29pm
post #13872 of 16126
Quick question for anyone that has either "dead pixels" or stuck pixels.

I never noticed this before but when I mounted my 65" Sammy, I noticed around three pixels (white) that didn't change much - - I tried the pixel flipper (maybe I didn't use it long enough) but it really didn't change anything.

They don't always stay white and it doesn't affect the picture at all. I mean, you can't see them unless you are literally on top of the screen - a foot or closer to the screen. Could this be dust in the panel?

To me, it's not worth sending back or even trying to send back because it really doesn't affect the picture.

I was curious, however, as to Samung's "Pixel Policy?" I know that dead pixels are inherent in the technology - - but with a total white background - - you don't see them at all.
post #13873 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Quick question for anyone that has either "dead pixels" or stuck pixels.

I never noticed this before but when I mounted my 65" Sammy, I noticed around three pixels (white) that didn't change much - - I tried the pixel flipper (maybe I didn't use it long enough) but it really didn't change anything.

They don't always stay white and it doesn't affect the picture at all. I mean, you can't see them unless you are literally on top of the screen - a foot or closer to the screen. Could this be dust in the panel?

To me, it's not worth sending back or even trying to send back because it really doesn't affect the picture.

I was curious, however, as to Samung's "Pixel Policy?" I know that dead pixels are inherent in the technology - - but with a total white background - - you don't see them at all.

If they are not "growing", I'm perfectly OK keeping mine. I have the same case. When it is black, no light pixel. It will happen in some colors and I cannot see ttat in viewing distance.

That said, my HS01 is perfect. No banding nor light pixel. But I have a nice discount that I don't want to pass on for the 65. It really comes down to cost. After 5 years, I probably would have another TV. How much would one dead pixel and VB cost me vs. do I want a bigger screen than the 60.
post #13874 of 16126
Just bought an 55ES8000 for $1668 on Amazon, thought it was too good a deal to pass up.

Upgrading from a 40" Sony 40XBR4, hoping the picture will be much better.
post #13875 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post

Just bought an 55ES8000 for $1668 on Amazon, thought it was too good a deal to pass up.

Upgrading from a 40" Sony 40XBR4, hoping the picture will be much better.

Damn good price. The 55 is a good set.
post #13876 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by OugaBooga View Post

Return it, i had 3 dead pixels on an old sammy LCD 2 in corner & 1 DEAD center while gaming.
After 3 months of that sucker dead center of the screen eye balling me i ended up punching it.
RETURN before u spazz out like i did, gamers HATE dead pixels/input lag like sports fans HATE vert band, like movie lovers hate uniformity issues & light flashlighting !!

That is extreme...but I feel the same way.

I have many returns and more Samsung service calls( have one next week).

I also have 1 dead pixel....eek.gif
post #13877 of 16126
hello,
did your connection problems resolve themselves?
i was having the same issues,
the tv is at a vacation home and i havent been back,
i was there about 2/18.
also, how are you liking 1047 firmware, i updated too.
thx,
post #13878 of 16126
I just bought the UN55es8000 for $1718. It's arriving tomorrow and I can't wait. Is there anything I should do right out the box? Should I break it in without calibrating it first?
post #13879 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by parodielin View Post

I'll try a game tonight. I'll try a golf game (VB?). I really cannot see it when watching programs. But gaming might be a different story.

The other question is: Can dead pixel be fixed? or fixing means replace the screen?

When i said my old samsung LCD i didn't mean this model, this was a model from 2005/6, i forget the yr i bought it.
As for dead pixels, Yes it will drive u INSANE if it's in the center"ish" part of the screen & u use it as close as i do.I view the es8000 4 feet away from my face, with the old 2005/6 i was about 2-3 feet away.
Yes, some dead pixels CAN be "massaged" away & there are other tools that can help but i have had numerous hard drives dye & am not sure if i can get u all the info, I WILL try to find it for you.
Basically use that nice blue micro fibre cloth u got with the tv in the spot of the dead pixel & massage it, start lightly & then increase pressure without BUSTING the glass or messing up the screen too much.
Usually pixels that can be fixed this way will blink on/off as u massage.
My experience has been that "colored" pixels usually can be massaged, i have NEVER had a black pixel so i don't know bout that.
Tis the best i can say ATM......do some google searches, thats where i found most of my tips yrs ago.

Also, my memory isn't great but i think AVS forum had some stuff on exactly this stuff, or maybe it was AV forums, i can't remember...GL
post #13880 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

That is extreme...but I feel the same way.

I have many returns and more Samsung service calls( have one next week).

I also have 1 dead pixel....eek.gif

Xtrem? lol, that samsung policy for dead pixels was extreme, back then u had to have like 8-10 in order to get an exchange & i got my set with futureshop which didn't do crappola to help me.
1 dead pixel isn't bad, it's the location & what color it is, depending on what u use ur tv for the color matters.
Black pixels never bothered me cause i NEVER had 1.
It's the color pixels like white,red & green i have had that bother me but the WHITE pixel REALLY pisses me off & it was DEAD center, lol, no pun intended.
If ur dead is a REAL dead which is BLACK then i wouldn't worry if ur gaming & i imagine same goes for movies since u want something theater like.
I personally have removed & put green & red pixels back into their wake mode just by rubbing/massaging.
You won't cure them all but atleast u can wake them up.
Green seems to me the next MOST forgiving distraction in gaming after blue.
Edited by OugaBooga - 3/21/13 at 7:04pm
post #13881 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeLA View Post

I just bought the UN55es8000 for $1718. It's arriving tomorrow and I can't wait. Is there anything I should do right out the box? Should I break it in without calibrating it first?

How bout u share info like when it was made & what panel it is using.
congrats to a great viewing experience. (i hope)

P.S. ALL u lucky dawgs getting better pricing then me.......
1 other thing, i haven't noticed ANY PQ changes with 1047 but some items in menu are not greyed like before.... might be the booze eh ??
Edited by OugaBooga - 3/21/13 at 7:20pm
post #13882 of 16126
Download the 1046.2 FW from Samsung's website and install to your ES8000 via flashdrive. I've heard the best reviews of this particular FW. 1047 has come into question since it is not actually listed for download from the website.
post #13883 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post

Just bought an 55ES8000 for $1668 on Amazon, thought it was too good a deal to pass up.

Upgrading from a 40" Sony 40XBR4, hoping the picture will be much better.

That was my upgrade path as well, except I went from the 46XBR4 to the 55ES8000. The picture improvement is significant, but you're also getting a ton more screen real estate. And likely for a lot less than you purchased the XBR4 for.
post #13884 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

That was my upgrade path as well, except I went from the 46XBR4 to the 55ES8000. The picture improvement is significant, but you're also getting a ton more screen real estate. And likely for a lot less than you purchased the XBR4 for.

good to know
post #13885 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjcat View Post

Thanks Arenaman!

Arenaman,

I have a March 26th service call, and the lady said they are replacing the panel.....this is even before I sent a picture in. So, we will see how it goes...eek.gif
post #13886 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post

I tried the VUDU and HULA apps tonight..... For some reason Samsung has set the TV so it locks out the P. Size button in Smart Hub Video apps. I could not zoom up on anything that was widescreen. I feel the option to zoom or not zoom should be up to the TV's owner. Other manufacturers have the aspect choices active all the time. This is BS. frown.gif

I tried my Netflix through the Smart Hub and the aspect ratio does not work on mine either...
post #13887 of 16126
I read somewhere that once firmware 1047 is installed, it cannot be changed. Is that correct?

If so, what exactly are the drawbacks fo 1047? When I checked my set, it already had 1047 installed. Personally, I haven't experienced anything outwardly negative or objectionable. Might be due to not knowing what to expect.

Your comments will be appreciated.
post #13888 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarob View Post

I read somewhere that once firmware 1047 is installed, it cannot be changed. Is that correct?

If so, what exactly are the drawbacks fo 1047? When I checked my set, it already had 1047 installed. Personally, I haven't experienced anything outwardly negative or objectionable. Might be due to not knowing what to expect.

Your comments will be appreciated.
You can't downgrade firmware. There are no drawbacks to 1047.
post #13889 of 16126
Just an update to my strange pattern on the screen issue. Engineers have just been out and said it's the panel, they're going to change the panel next week. Hmm, not too sure I'm happy about this. I'm going to take plenty of photos of the uniformity of this one which is pretty good and if the new one is worse there'll be a large can of whooparse opened.
post #13890 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by arenaman View Post

Just an update to my strange pattern on the screen issue. Engineers have just been out and said it's the panel, they're going to change the panel next week. Hmm, not too sure I'm happy about this. I'm going to take plenty of photos of the uniformity of this one which is pretty good and if the new one is worse there'll be a large can of whooparse opened.

That's interesting. That may confirm my suspicion that my issue had something to do with something OTHER than the main board that they replaced twice. They never even considered touching the panel. Keep us posted on the results.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread