or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 501

post #15001 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post


i don't know why you just can't let this go.

Why don't you do what you preach to others and stop your long none sense posts.

post #15002 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluca1969 View Post

SERVICE MODE ES7000 / 8000
Power Off
Info
Menu
Mute
Power On

* Do not change anything if you don't know what, some changes may be irreversible.

- To exit from the Service Mode just press Power Off.
Can anyone verify if this is correct. Cannot get it to work and need to check the hours on an es7500.
post #15003 of 16127

Mute,1,8,2, power

It will reset all your settings to default values. Write them down before hand.

post #15004 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM View Post

Why don't you do what you preach to others and stop your long none sense posts.

because you keep bringing it up
Edited by howzz1854 - 5/9/13 at 10:25pm
post #15005 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM View Post

Mute,1,8,2, power
It will reset all your settings to default values. Write them down before hand.
Do you start it with the TV on or off? Sucks that it will delete my settings!

Thanks!
post #15006 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Do you start it with the TV on or off? Sucks that it will delete my settings!

Thanks!

to access the service menu, you start with the TV off.

if the above suggestion doesn't work, try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHO1CReFOLU

make sure you remember EXACTLY the steps you take, so you can back out. and try to resist the temptation of poking around the panel type menu. there're a lot of useful info in the general info menu like panel temperature, run time, and what not. i haven't personally accessed my ES8000 menu, but last time i did it on my ES6500, it was a whole lot of info that one probably wouldn't expect.
Edited by howzz1854 - 5/9/13 at 10:30pm
post #15007 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post

to access the service menu, you start with the TV off.

if the above suggestion doesn't work, try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHO1CReFOLU

make sure you remember EXACTLY the steps you take, so you can back out. and try to resist the temptation of poking around the panel type menu. there're a lot of useful info in the general info menu like panel temperature, run time, and what not. i haven't personally accessed my ES8000 menu, but last time i did it on my ES6500, it was a whole lot of info that one probably wouldn't expect.
Weird, it is not working on my TV (es7500) Wonder if the code is different. Guess I will try over in that thread although people rarely post over there.
Edited by eric3316 - 5/10/13 at 4:18am
post #15008 of 16127
The Service Menu has it.

Power Off
Mute, 1, 8, 2, On
SVC > SVC Info
Power Off

Don't do anything else in there.... eek.gif

Power On - TV starts up in Dynamic mode.

This is courtesy of Buzz in the F8000 Owners forum
post #15009 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

The Service Menu has it.

Power Off
Mute, 1, 8, 2, On
SVC > SVC Info
Power Off

Don't do anything else in there.... eek.gif

Power On - TV starts up in Dynamic mode.

This is courtesy of Buzz in the F8000 Owners forum
Will these delete all my settings as the other poster mentioned? Seems weird it would do that if I am not resetting anything?

Will try this out later when I am home....Thanks guys!
post #15010 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Will these delete all my settings as the other poster mentioned? Seems weird it would do that if I am not resetting anything?

Will try this out later when I am home....Thanks guys!
I think it does Eric.
I don't think you should be going into the service menu, but you seem bound to do it. So I thought I would post how to do it properly from someone I trust.
Good Luck I hope everything works out, you know that if you do certain things even by mistake while your in there It can cause you BIG PROBLEMS don't you.
post #15011 of 16127
Hi Everyone, 1051.2 firmware has been released today. It is for both the es7500 and es8000.

This firmware is for TV Model(s): UN**ES7500 and UN**ES8000.
The version is 1051.2
This firmware update will improve the following:

- Supports 2013 Evolution Kit(SEK-1000)

- Solves Netflix login issue

- Support iOS Smart view app..

- Support Angry Birds app. and Yahoo SyncPlus app..

- Improves performance of Smart Hub

- Adds print function in photo applications such as the Photo function of AllShare Play or Picasa.

- Supports Samsung Audio Dock and Wireless Keyboard VG-KBD1500

- Resolves compatibility issue with DLNA devices and network router/switch.

- Improves picture quality.

- Enhances Voice Recognition feature.

- Change the TV Power On command from ''Hi TV'' to ''Hi TV Power On'' or ''Smart TV'' to ''Smart TV Power On.''
post #15012 of 16127
Can't wait to see the improvements to Angry Birds! rolleyes.gif

It looks like the change is the evolution kit compatability.
post #15013 of 16127
Anyone download the update yet? Do theses updates actually improve picture quality? I downloaded the last update and it really didn't do squat to the picture quality.
post #15014 of 16127
Thanks for posting wyu177. Looks like the standard Firmware Info sheet we always get. I will wait until 10K, Mavinwow, or one of the other Calibrators tell me that it didn't mess up Picture quality. The rest I don't care about.
post #15015 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

I think it does Eric.
I don't think you should be going into the service menu, but you seem bound to do it. So I thought I would post how to do it properly from someone I trust.
Good Luck I hope everything works out, you know that if you do certain things even by mistake while your in there It can cause you BIG PROBLEMS don't you.
Well I took home a floor model 60es7500 and was curious on how many hours were on it. It has been on one of those Samsung displays for about a year so it is in pretty mint condition. Maybe I am better off not looking how many hours are on it. Everything is running good so maybe I should just not worry about it.
post #15016 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Well I took home a floor model 60es7500 and was curious on how many hours were on it. It has been on one of those Samsung displays for about a year so it is in pretty mint condition. Maybe I am better off not looking how many hours are on it. Everything is running good so maybe I should just not worry about it.

i don't know why you can't get the service menu to fire up.

but honestly it's not something you wanna mess with anyway. it deletes all your custom settings like one would clearing the CMOS on a PC motherboard. what you can do, if you haven't already, is get yourself one of those $99 costco aftermarket extended warranty. no you do not need to be a member to buy it. if that floor model decides to kick the bucket one day, with that warranty, you might get yourself a new F7500.
post #15017 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

Thanks for posting wyu177. Looks like the standard Firmware Info sheet we always get. I will wait until 10K, Mavinwow, or one of the other Calibrators tell me that it didn't mess up Picture quality. The rest I don't care about.

until they come out with a firmware that either adds real improvement to addressing clouding, banding, color, or flash lighting. i don't see the need to jump into any firmware update just for the sake of smart hub and angry birds.
post #15018 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Well I took home a floor model 60es7500 and was curious on how many hours were on it. It has been on one of those Samsung displays for about a year so it is in pretty mint condition. Maybe I am better off not looking how many hours are on it. Everything is running good so maybe I should just not worry about it.
Now your thinking right. The suggestion of the extended warranty on howzz1854 post is a good Idea. The one good thing about having a floor model with some Hours on it, is that if it had any problems it would have showed those by now. I bet your TV last a long time without any problems. On ours we just don't know yet cause we don't have enough hours.
post #15019 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanwcm View Post

Anyone download the update yet? Do theses updates actually improve picture quality? I downloaded the last update and it really didn't do squat to the picture quality.

It did solve the Netflix problem I was having (quick audio drop out every few seconds). Hard to see any real picture quality difference in Movie or Standard, but hopefully 10K can compare for us with his meter. I'm moving back to Standard mode in anticipation of micro dimming algorithm improvements with the added processing power of the evo kit
post #15020 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

It did solve the Netflix problem I was having (quick audio drop out every few seconds). Hard to see any real picture quality difference in Movie or Standard, but hopefully 10K can compare for us with his meter. I'm moving back to Standard mode in anticipation of micro dimming algorithm improvements with the added processing power of the evo kit

micro dimming ultimate for Movie mode, now THAT would be an improve picture quality "option".

i like the color of movie mode, but i can't stand not having the best looking blacks, so i am stuck with standard mode, like many others.
post #15021 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post

micro dimming ultimate for Movie mode, now THAT would be an improve picture quality "option".

i like the color of movie mode, but i can't stand not having the best looking blacks, so i am stuck with standard mode, like many others.

Yeah it seems like everyone wants more options. That would be great, but I'm just hoping they get the flagship feature of this tv to work better
post #15022 of 16127
I am like you guy's. I don't have a critical of a eye as some of the people here. But I must confess I'm a standard fan on this TV also.
post #15023 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post

micro dimming ultimate for Movie mode, now THAT would be an improve picture quality "option".

i like the color of movie mode, but i can't stand not having the best looking blacks, so i am stuck with standard mode, like many others.

I think the microdimming feature should be something you can turn on and off, like the other settings. That way you could try it and see what difference it makes. For some weird reason I think Samsung doesn't want us to see that. They just want to hype it in the ads as a reason to change top dollar for the TV. I have to admit it worked on me.
post #15024 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

Yeah it seems like everyone wants more options. That would be great, but I'm just hoping they get the flagship feature of this tv to work better

what features would that be. it's kinda hard to define flagship features. to me i think of Micro Dimming Ultimate.
post #15025 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post

I think the microdimming feature should be something you can turn on and off, like the other settings. That way you could try it and see what difference it makes. For some weird reason I think Samsung doesn't want us to see that. They just want to hype it in the ads as a reason to change top dollar for the TV. I have to admit it worked on me.

problem is that it's unavailable in movie mode, which is the most accurate mode. so in essence, a lot of people end up shelling out top dollars for the feature and not using it. that's a waste.

i personally like Micro Dimming a lot. just wish i could have the movie mode color with it.
post #15026 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post

what features would that be. it's kinda hard to define flagship features

Not really. How many other sets have micro dimming ultimate. That is what was supposed to set this tv apart from the other brands and from the lower series in the lineup
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post

problem is that it's unavailable in movie mode, which is the most accurate mode. so in essence, a lot of people end up shelling out top dollars for the feature and not using it. that's a waste.

i personally like Micro Dimming a lot. just wish i could have the movie mode color with it.

It makes logical sense that it's not available in Movie mode. With all due respect, I'm not going to go too much into it because I think it should be obvious why

As far as everyone who says they want control over the micro dimming, I will address that, because you already have control over the most critical element. Micro dimming in standard mode works more like a subtle dynamic contrast based feature. So if you don't want it at all use Movie mode. If you want to use it as it was designed to be use Standard mode. If you want to control the amout of the effect at all times use Movie Mode and use the Dynamic Contrast to control it. Because that's mostly what it is

Not too long ago I did some research reading back through more than 10 years of Samsung articles about micro dimming when it was a developing technology. And what I find out long story short is that its really just a dynamic contrast "enhancement". So if you want the most accurate picture possible whithout any post image processing features screwing with the accuracy of your tv you would obviously want to use Movie mode

But if you wanted to turn micro dimming on in movie mode and don't mind that it skewers accuracy just a bit then turn Dynamic contrast on low. Any higher than low is significantly more detrimental. It won't technically be the same thing, but since the feature is based on dynamic contrast you get the point. In Standard mode they actually use an even more subtle like 1/2x contrast effect. I believe the algorithms used in this process can be made significantly more effective with more processing power ala more "dimming zones" via the evo kit (which is why I'm looking forward to it)
Edited by gamermwm - 5/10/13 at 8:36pm
post #15027 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

Not really. How many other sets have micro dimming ultimate. That is what was supposed to set this tv apart from the other brands and from the lower series in the lineup
It makes logical sense that it's not available in Movie mode. With all due respect, I'm not going to go too much into it because it should be obvious why. And if you don't know I'm not going to spend all day explaining it to someone

As far as everyone who says they want control over the micro dimming, I will address that, because you already have control. It's just a more subtle dynamic contrast feature. So if you don't want it at all use Movie mode. If you want to use it as it was designed to be use Standard mode. If you want to control the amout of the effect at all times use Movie Mode and use the Dynamic Contrast to control it. Because that's all it is

Not too long ago I did some research reading back through more than 10 years of Samsung articles about micro dimming when it was a developing technology. And what I find out long story short is that its really just a dynamic contrast "enhancement". So if you want the most accurate picture possible whithout any post image processing features screwing with the accuracy of your tv you would obviously want to use Movie mode

But if you wanted to turn micro dimming on in movie mode and don't mind that it skewers accuracy just a bit then turn Dynamic contrast on low. Any higher than low is significantly more detrimental. In Standard mode they actually use an even more subtle 1/2x contrast effect so as not to disturb the accuracy of the picture as much. I believe the algorithms used in this process can be made significantly more effective with more processing power ala the evo kit which is why I'm looking forward to it

i could disagree.. but i am not going to spend all day explaining to someone who obviously have a very different opinion on image quality.

and how exactly would you suggest getting the flagship feature ie "micro dimming" to work better. because if by your definition of flagship, which we both agree, "micro dimming is one of them", having the option of turning it on or off could certainly be defined as better, or having a hardware based micro dimming. you can tweak the dynamic contrast all day, it still won't bring the same kind of crystal black you get in standard mode. one thing Samsung does best is ambiguity, yes, we all heard someone somewhere from samsung said it's basically just dynamic contrast mixed with black enhancer. by that definition we should always believe that their EVO kit will bring Image Quality improvement, along with every firmware update. but there's something more going on in micro dimming that does to the picture that a simple dynamic contrast with black enhancer doesn't do, one can easily tell the difference between the two.
Edited by howzz1854 - 5/10/13 at 4:54pm
post #15028 of 16127
Why argue about it when you can easily see for yourself (warning, you will lose all your settings)

Menu->Support->Self Diagnosis->Reset
After the TV boots up and gives the intro video the first or second setup screen will ask you "home use" or "store demo"
Choose "store demo"
Note the TV will reset its menu settings every 30 minutes in this mode so act quick
Go into movie mode and turn off black tone, turn dynamic contrast on low and black enhancer on
Go into standard mode and change the backlight so its same as movie mode
Switch input to your bluray player or whatever and pull up some reference material. This image really showed the difference to me - http://cdn.avsforum.com/3/36/361bfed4_7-1.png
Tools button on remote -> scroll down to micro dimming ultimate and wait
There is a loop where it shows you how it builds up the processing on micro dimming and also some side by side comparisons and finally an A/B of microdimming on/off

After you see the MD on/off in standard mode and get a feel for what that looks like, switch over to movie mode and you will clearly see that Movie+black enhancer+dynamic contrast is not the same at all.

When you are done, tools -> scroll down to "Store demo off"
post #15029 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post

Why argue about it when you can easily see for yourself (warning, you will lose all your settings)

Menu->Support->Self Diagnosis->Reset
After the TV boots up and gives the intro video the first or second setup screen will ask you "home use" or "store demo"
Choose "store demo"
Note the TV will reset its menu settings every 30 minutes in this mode so act quick
Go into movie mode and turn off black tone, turn dynamic contrast on low and black enhancer on
Go into standard mode and change the backlight so its same as movie mode
Switch input to your bluray player or whatever and pull up some reference material. This image really showed the difference to me - http://cdn.avsforum.com/3/36/361bfed4_7-1.png
Tools button on remote -> scroll down to micro dimming ultimate and wait
There is a loop where it shows you how it builds up the processing on micro dimming and also some side by side comparisons and finally an A/B of microdimming on/off

After you see the MD on/off in standard mode and get a feel for what that looks like, switch over to movie mode and you will clearly see that Movie+black enhancer+dynamic contrast is not the same at all.

When you are done, tools -> scroll down to "Store demo off"

this is a very interesting tip. thanks for the info. although i don't think i want to go into service menu again. i'd like to avoid doing that as much as possible.

it really doesn't take any fancy instrument to tell the difference. i work in the visual effects industry. part of my job everyday is look at colors and looking at other people's CG reels. so i consider myself having a pretty trained eye. and i can immediately tell the difference with and without MD ultimate on even with all the settings matched as close as possible. to me it's a big difference. the movie mode gives a more yellow/brown tint in comparison to standard mode which is slightly towards the red/pink side (favoring skin tones), all settings matched. but not having the most crystal black bothers me more than having a slight tinge of red. we all know that MD can be enabled for movie mode with a simple firmware update, but samsung is just reluctant.
post #15030 of 16127
It isnt service menu, its factory reset and then store demo mode instead of home mode when the tv first boots.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread