or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 522

post #15631 of 16127
Installed the evo yesterday. Done in under 10 minutes...install and updates and back on the wall.

First off, definitely worth the 184 dollars from costcentral. 399...not so sure.

Remote is awesome, but having the same STB issues which is annoying. Likely just continue using the harmony as well.

Can't articulate it, but really think there are subtle improvements to the picture: black levels, reduced blurring (soccer ball)....still taking it all in!
post #15632 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyDRB View Post

Installed the evo yesterday. Done in under 10 minutes...install and updates and back on the wall.

First off, definitely worth the 184 dollars from costcentral. 399...not so sure.

Remote is awesome, but having the same STB issues which is annoying. Likely just continue using the harmony as well.

Can't articulate it, but really think there are subtle improvements to the picture: black levels, reduced blurring (soccer ball)....still taking it all in!

What STB issues are you having?
post #15633 of 16127
Changing sources.....I have a Directv box, bd player, receiver plus the Sammy TV. If I change the source I'll get a similar message to the screenies above except mine allows you to click on STB or scroll to an OK button.
post #15634 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyDRB View Post

Changing sources.....I have a Directv box, bd player, receiver plus the Sammy TV. If I change the source I'll get a similar message to the screenies above except mine allows you to click on STB or scroll to an OK button.
I just press the up or down volume and it goes away.
post #15635 of 16127
Well...when it happens with me the source on the receiver changes so while one could correct the source on the TV with the new remote if that got messed up...I don't see how you can fix the source issue on the receiver with the TV remote.

Similarly i have an issue on start up where The any time cec+ function wants the source to be TV not sat/cbl so I either click the help button on my harmony 700 or manually in the device option of the harmony
post #15636 of 16127
Sounds like a different deal than mine.
post #15637 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyDRB View Post

Changing sources.....I have a Directv box, bd player, receiver plus the Sammy TV. If I change the source I'll get a similar message to the screenies above except mine allows you to click on STB or scroll to an OK button.
Mine did the same thing, I'd get the "STB/OK" message when I changed sources. And for some reasonn when I turned the set on it would default to the TV speakers too. What I did was turn off the Anynet thing. Now when I turn the TV off with the remote the AVR won't go off automatically like it did (I always have to turn the TV and AVR on separately), but I don't get the STB/OK message anymore as long as I turn the AVR on first, then the TV. That seems to do it for me.
post #15638 of 16127
I saw a UN55ES8000 today new in box for $1398 at Sears....good deal.
post #15639 of 16127
I have a new 65 panel installed today. Basically, the whole TV is a panel plus a few boards. Replacing a panel is equivalent to a new TV. When the technician came, he said my problem wasn't with the panel. It was with the connection cable between the two boards (told me he has seen many cases like mine - all fault to the connection cable). Since the panel is ordered by Samsung, it doesn't hurt to have a new one.

Replacing the cable is quite easy. Replacing the panel is quite some work.

The new panel is a few months newer to my "old panel" but it also has the vertical banding. I hope the "freezing" will be solved by the new cable.
post #15640 of 16127
Been months since I have last been in this thread. Moved to our new house and need to re-calibrate the set. I got it from Best Buy and have the free calibration, problem is during the day the 3 sliding glass doors let in a lot of sunlight and we don't like a blazing bright picture. We have tried in the 90's but since we don't have a lot of light at night our eyes were hurting. Based on my Standard settings I had the brightness at 48. I remember 47 was the magic number for something regarding flashing. Is it below 47 the flashing stops? We are seeing quite a bit right now. I'm going to work on this again Thursday night since we have family in town taking the kids and my wife and her bro are going to the TR3 concert so I finally have the time to re-do the settings.
post #15641 of 16127
The new panel "made" a difference and I'm a bit surprised. My old panel mfged Oct 2012. I exchanged one set and they are the same batch. The vertical banding are the same. The new panel dated March 2013. It has less VB. After adjusting the settings (the same as my old one), the image looks sharper. Not sure if it's the new panel effect. The out of the box dynamic mode doesn't look that bad at all (Comparing to my old one).

I did find a few light pixels (dead sub pixels) but they didn't bother normal viewing. Let's see if freezing would be fix by this service call. It's fun to watch how the TV got disasembled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parodielin View Post

I have a new 65 panel installed today. Basically, the whole TV is a panel plus a few boards. Replacing a panel is equivalent to a new TV. When the technician came, he said my problem wasn't with the panel. It was with the connection cable between the two boards (told me he has seen many cases like mine - all fault to the connection cable). Since the panel is ordered by Samsung, it doesn't hurt to have a new one.

Replacing the cable is quite easy. Replacing the panel is quite some work.

The new panel is a few months newer to my "old panel" but it also has the vertical banding. I hope the "freezing" will be solved by the new cable.
post #15642 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

Been months since I have last been in this thread. Moved to our new house and need to re-calibrate the set. I got it from Best Buy and have the free calibration, problem is during the day the 3 sliding glass doors let in a lot of sunlight and we don't like a blazing bright picture. We have tried in the 90's but since we don't have a lot of light at night our eyes were hurting. Based on my Standard settings I had the brightness at 48. I remember 47 was the magic number for something regarding flashing. Is it below 47 the flashing stops? We are seeing quite a bit right now. I'm going to work on this again Thursday night since we have family in town taking the kids and my wife and her bro are going to the TR3 concert so I finally have the time to re-do the settings.
I think what you are referring to is the level of brightness required to defeat the microdimming or the Contrast Enhancement (forget which) that occurs in Standard Mode (not Movie Mode, which is why some prefer this). I think you have to turn the brightness up to 54 to do this, which requires adjustment of something else to make it look normal again. Those settings are in Garnoch's signature (he's been away for awhile but you can search for one of his posts). The dimming/enhancement feature in Standard never bothered me but some people found it distracting in dark scenes. It seems to me there's like a culture of "Dark Scene People" who watch certain Star Wars scenes a lot in man caves and maybe drink a bit when their wives go to bed and then start changing the TV settings. I find is amusing and admit that I now pay attention to dark scenes for things like "crushed blacks" and flashlighting and turn my lights off too. I might have a beer but won't mess with the TV. It's an illness. I won't watch Star Wars or Star Treck movies, gotta put my foot down somewhere.
post #15643 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post

Do you guys know how to get this message to stop coming on? I have anynet turned off as it kept changing my receiver inputs. I leave my cable box on 24/7 so I dont know why this message it coming on.


I think I've found the only way around this issue. After the latest kit update wiped my settings, I had to go through setup again with it. Instead of selecting Dish as my STB, I selected Antannae, and then just canceled the channel scan. I am no longer getting this message when I switch sources

Of course this solution limits you if you actually use your new touch remote to control your other devices and want it to recommend shows...but if you don't mind losing that it's a decent workaround
post #15644 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

I think I've found the only way around this issue. After the latest kit update wiped my settings, I had to go through setup again with it. Instead of selecting Dish as my STB, I selected Antannae, and then just canceled the channel scan. I am no longer getting this message when I switch sources

Of course this solution limits you if you actually use your new touch remote to control your other devices and want it to recommend shows...but if you don't mind losing that it's a decent workaround

That is what I ended up doing, deleting my comcast box and receiver from the remote setup. I cant control these devices with the samsung remote anymore, but I use a harmony anyway so I dont really care.
post #15645 of 16127
New Member Here,

I have an ES8000 and the TV states that the connection speed to the internet is too slow. I have Verizon FOIS and connection to Netflix via PC is fast. I just connected my new LG BRP to my network and it connects to Netflix in a few seconds but the TV will take 15, 20 or even more seconds and then to load a program, that can take minutes. I'm currently using wireless but have also ran Ethernet cable directly from the router with no change in performance. Now don't laugh, but I have company visiting and I wanted to demonstrate 3D via the SmartHub app but it won't connect saying my connection speed is too slow.

I've downloaded the latest firmware update. Anyone experience this performance before or have anything to share?

Thanks
post #15646 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk7211 View Post

New Member Here,

I have an ES8000 and the TV states that the connection speed to the internet is too slow. I have Verizon FOIS and connection to Netflix via PC is fast. I just connected my new LG BRP to my network and it connects to Netflix in a few seconds but the TV will take 15, 20 or even more seconds and then to load a program, that can take minutes. I'm currently using wireless but have also ran Ethernet cable directly from the router with no change in performance. Now don't laugh, but I have company visiting and I wanted to demonstrate 3D via the SmartHub app but it won't connect saying my connection speed is too slow.

I've downloaded the latest firmware update. Anyone experience this performance before or have anything to share?

Thanks

I stream 3D through Netflix since I installed the Smart Kit and it became possible. It's 1080p, crisp, and besides a few very slight hiccups during a stream occasionally it's quite nice. Check out Sammy's Adventures (the turtle movie) on Netflix 3D when you have a chance - it's a mind blowing 3D experience and quite likely the strongest 3D on the market at the moment

One thing I'd like to note though, is that I don't attempt to stream 3D during the afternoon/evening as my internet provider will usually temporarily cut my 50mbps speed down to nothing for bottlenecking. If I want to stream it I'll usually wait until after midnight. I know I shouldn't have to, but most cable internet companies these days will reduce your internet speed when you use a lot of bandwidth during high traffic hours
post #15647 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

... One thing I'd like to note though, is that I don't attempt to stream 3D during the afternoon/evening as my internet provider will usually temporarily cut my 50mbps speed down to nothing for bottlenecking. If I want to stream it I'll usually wait until after midnight. I know I shouldn't have to, but most cable internet companies these days will reduce your internet speed when you use a lot of bandwidth during high traffic hours

Might be but the LG BluRay Player worked fine when I tried it earlier. I then logged out and logged in via the TV and the usual slow performance again. I was wondering whether others have experienced this as maybe I have a problem that needs attention while the TV is under warranty.
post #15648 of 16127
Hi Guys..
any suggestions on how to use the Samsung tv remote while using STB to switch channels. i am not talking about the touch remote.
please suggest.

Thanks
Raahul
post #15649 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post

Do you guys know how to get this message to stop coming on? I have anynet turned off as it kept changing my receiver inputs. I leave my cable box on 24/7 so I dont know why this message it coming on.



I noticed that you guys found a workaround to your issue... I just wanted to chime in and mention that this message has also popped up for me, but only when i set my cable box's output resolution to the word "Native" instead of 1080i or 720p. As soon as I set my cable box back to output either 1080i or 720p, and then turned my TV off, then back on, it never came up again. So it looks like a few things can trigger this message.
Edited by badabing - 7/19/13 at 8:40am
post #15650 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post

I noticed that you guys found a workaround to your issue... I just wanted to chime in and mention that this message has also popped up for me, but only when i set my cable box's output resolution to the word "Native" instead of 1080i or 720p. As soon as I set my cable box back to output either 1080i or 720p, and then turned my TV off, then back on, it never came up again. So it looks like a few things can trigger this message.

I dont think my box has a native setting? I have to manually set what outputs I allow.
post #15651 of 16127
One week into the new panel, now I believe in panel lottery. This panel is superior than the previous two. I re-watched a few movies and it continues to surprise me. Not only the vertical banding now almost gone, the contrast and black also improved. Lessons learned is that if you would like to do panel lottery, you have to wait for different batches...
Quote:
Originally Posted by parodielin View Post

The new panel "made" a difference and I'm a bit surprised. My old panel mfged Oct 2012. I exchanged one set and they are the same batch. The vertical banding are the same. The new panel dated March 2013. It has less VB. After adjusting the settings (the same as my old one), the image looks sharper. Not sure if it's the new panel effect. The out of the box dynamic mode doesn't look that bad at all (Comparing to my old one).

I did find a few light pixels (dead sub pixels) but they didn't bother normal viewing. Let's see if freezing would be fix by this service call. It's fun to watch how the TV got disasembled.
post #15652 of 16127
parodielin, glad to hear you have a sweet panel. I've had mine 14 months now and no issues. The only time any weird things ever happened was when i turned on smart features and used the smart remote. I have all that stuff turned off and i dont get any drama.

I will say that the pic quality has improved in time. Recently FIOS looks so good that i was thinking they made upgrades but i am unaware if them doing anything and i run at their highest speed for all services and bluray looks improved as well. Easily content with this until the next panel in 3 years.
post #15653 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post

I dont think my box has a native setting? I have to manually set what outputs I allow.

Oh, my Comcast Box is a Motorola 3400 with DVR.. If I turn my Cable box Off, then press the red menu button on the Comcast Remote I am taken into the Cable box's setup menu.. At that point I can highlight 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and Native and a lot of other HDMI options like RGB.. BTW...... 720p seems to produce the best looking picture from Comcast.. My friend works for Comcast and he also agrees that setting the cable box to 720p is the best option.. The box originally came set at 1080i.. But the one time I set it to Native that message kept popping up.. I use the Comcast remotes up/down left/right to highlight my new resolution choice, once selected I then press the red menu button on the Comcast remote, and then I press power to turn the Comcast cable box back on.. That STB message will pop up once because you shut the box off/on, I just select ok and it does not show again.
Edited by badabing - 7/22/13 at 12:40pm
post #15654 of 16127
So I have got clouding. The infamous V shape that I've seen a few others suffer from as well. Overall I'm mostly happy with my purchase. Should I call Samsung and go for a new panel? Has anyone had luck with getting their panel replaced and the V shape disappearing? I tried a few of the calibrated settings and the V remains.
post #15655 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatc View Post

So I have got clouding. The infamous V shape that I've seen a few others suffer from as well. Overall I'm mostly happy with my purchase. Should I call Samsung and go for a new panel? Has anyone had luck with getting their panel replaced and the V shape disappearing? I tried a few of the calibrated settings and the V remains.
Yeah I'd say so. I don't see any on my panel, so I don't think it's normal and some people complained bitterly about it. The "banding" thing is where it gets a little subjective because that depends on what you're watching, and your settings. The flashlighting thing is more for the "dark scene people" in certain scenes only. But if I saw some V all the time I'd be pissed. I don't think settings matter with that.
post #15656 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatc View Post

So I have got clouding. The infamous V shape that I've seen a few others suffer from as well. Overall I'm mostly happy with my purchase. Should I call Samsung and go for a new panel? Has anyone had luck with getting their panel replaced and the V shape disappearing? I tried a few of the calibrated settings and the V remains.

Try this, it works wonders for getting rid of the clouding and makes the letterbox bars black. smile.gif

->Press Menu, System, Eco Solution, Energy Saving, "Low".
Edited by badabing - 7/23/13 at 2:58pm
post #15657 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post

Try this, it works wonders for getting rid of the clouding and makes the letterbox bars black. smile.gif

->Press Menu, System, Eco Solution, Energy Saving, "Low".
Oh Really. I will have to try this, I have always set my display things like this to OFF.
post #15658 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

Oh Really. I will have to try this, I have always set my display things like this to OFF.

This is what my es8000 looks like. smile.gif


Edited by badabing - 7/23/13 at 4:22pm
post #15659 of 16127
Look's Good to Me
post #15660 of 16127
What method do you guys use to prevent the es8000 from dialing home?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread