or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 523

post #15661 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by raist3001 View Post

What method do you guys use to prevent the es8000 from dialing home?

Never, ever play the movie E.T. on it
post #15662 of 16127
Guys,

What is the best 3D glasses out there for the ES8000.. I'm not digging the including ones, there uncomfortable and let a lot of light in on the sides.
post #15663 of 16127
What's the latest FW update version out ? I'm currently still on 1047
post #15664 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDenham View Post

What's the latest FW update version out ? I'm currently still on 1047

1051 is the latest as of this writing... And if your thinking of installing the Smart Evolution Kit, 1051 or up firmware is needed. 1047 will cause you "alot" of problems with the SEK installation.

*Here are the release notes;

This firmware is for TV Model(s): UN**ES7500 and UN**ES8000.
The version is 1051.2
This firmware update will improve the following:

- Supports 2013 Evolution Kit(SEK-1000)

- Solves Netflix login issue

- Support iOS Smart view app..

- Support Angry Birds app. and Yahoo SyncPlus app..

- Improves performance of Smart Hub

- Adds print function in photo applications such as the Photo function of AllShare Play or Picasa.

- Supports Samsung Audio Dock and Wireless Keyboard VG-KBD1500

- Resolves compatibility issue with DLNA devices and network router/switch.

- Improves picture quality.

- Enhances Voice Recognition feature.

- Change the TV Power On command from ''Hi TV'' to ''Hi TV Power On'' or ''Smart TV'' to ''Smart TV Power On.''
All OS

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN60ES8000FXZA
Edited by badabing - 7/25/13 at 5:15am
post #15665 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post

1051 is the latest as of this writing... And if your thinking of installing the Smart Evolution Kit, 1051 or up firmware is needed. 1047 will cause you "alot" of problems with the SEK installation.

*Here are the release notes;

This firmware is for TV Model(s): UN**ES7500 and UN**ES8000.
The version is 1051.2
This firmware update will improve the following:

Blah blah blah, the same release notes that every single FW release follow this.

I tried installing the EVo kit with 1047 and nothing happened, but nothing bad happened either.
post #15666 of 16127
Gotcha. So the 1051 update is mainly for the SEK INSTALL ?
post #15667 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post

This is what my es8000 looks like. smile.gif


Nice. What image is that?
post #15668 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonSplitter View Post

Nice. What image is that?

I took that photo with my iPad. It's from a commercial. I was watching Comcast Cable at the time. smile.gif
Edited by badabing - 7/26/13 at 6:02pm
post #15669 of 16127
Hi ...

I am new here and i would really appreciate some help.
Like most of you, i have a UN65ES8000...

However, there's a problem with it. It's okay in 3D mode, and the cosmetic condition of it is excellent.
However, the pictures are in negative in 2D mode. Hence, i was wondering if the cause of this is a faulty T-Con Board.

Will it be worthwhile to repair it? Or are there more reasons as to why the 2D pictures are in negative and will repairing be not as simple as replacing the T-Con Board?
Also, can i just purchase a T-Con Board from eBay as long as it's for the same model? Because i am not sure if the same T-Con Board is used for every TV of the same model.
Will be grateful to anyone who could give me advices on my issue here.

Thank you very much.
post #15670 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by aikawa7 View Post

Hi ...

I am new here and i would really appreciate some help.
Like most of you, i have a UN65ES8000...

However, there's a problem with it. It's okay in 3D mode, and the cosmetic condition of it is excellent.
However, the pictures are in negative in 2D mode. Hence, i was wondering if the cause of this is a faulty T-Con Board.

Will it be worthwhile to repair it? Or are there more reasons as to why the 2D pictures are in negative and will repairing be not as simple as replacing the T-Con Board?
Also, can i just purchase a T-Con Board from eBay as long as it's for the same model? Because i am not sure if the same T-Con Board is used for every TV of the same model.
Will be grateful to anyone who could give me advices on my issue here.

Thank you very much.

I don't think many on this forum could tell you what part(s) to replace. You'd need a repairman, hopefully from Samsung. Isn't the TV under warranty still?
post #15671 of 16127
Theres only 3 things you can replace on these things, the screen, the power board, and the processing board.

You could try picking up an EvoKit from a place with a return policy as that will bypass the native processing board. Might be worth a shot.
post #15672 of 16127
Hi everyone- It's been awhile since I've posted in this thread. I check it every now and then, but have been busy tinkering with other things. Anyway, I just installed the evo kit and have spent about an hour messing with it. My initial observations:

The Good-
*The new remote is awesome. So much better than the old one. Either way I doubt I'll use it much.
*The new Smart Hub is way better than before. I might actually use it more now.
*There are small UI changes during normal use that I really like. For example, there's no longer the big ugly source box in upper-left corner of the screen when changing sources. You now have a smaller (non-box) source indicator that isn't so obtrusive. You also get the date and time in the other corner.

The unexpected-
*My calibrated settings from before are WAY off! Blacks are severely crushed and so are whites. Definitely need to recalibrate badly. I know my TV calibrated quite differently that most others before, so I'm assuming the evo kit kind of brought it back in line with everyone else. I'm assuming my numbers will be close to what others have reported. We'll find out. The colors seemed close, but blue needs a big adjustment. The biggest change was the white and black levels though. I'm betting my gray scale is all out of whack right now.

The bad-
*The TV won't connect to my 802.11n wifi network any longer. Well, it connects to the router, but tells me it's not getting an internet connection. Doesn't make any sense. I can connect it to the 802.11b/g network on the same router (so it's the same internet connection) and can connect. Not sure what's happening there.
*Even though I can connect to the slower wifi network, it won't let me check for a firmware update. It tells me that my internet connection is unstable and to contact my ISP. That can't be right. I have no problems with any other wireless devices, so I'm not sure what it's complaining about. Also, I can bring up the web browser on the TV and it works fine. No stability issues there, so... Because of this I can't run a firmware update on the TV or the kit right now. I currently have 1003 installed. Not sure if that's the latest firmware for the kit or not.

Anyway. Just thought I'd throw that out there. So what's the latest firmware for the TV with the kit installed?
post #15673 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

Hi everyone- It's been awhile since I've posted in this thread. I check it every now and then, but have been busy tinkering with other things. Anyway, I just installed the evo kit and have spent about an hour messing with it. My initial observations:

The Good-
*The new remote is awesome. So much better than the old one. Either way I doubt I'll use it much.
*The new Smart Hub is way better than before. I might actually use it more now.
*There are small UI changes during normal use that I really like. For example, there's no longer the big ugly source box in upper-left corner of the screen when changing sources. You now have a smaller (non-box) source indicator that isn't so obtrusive. You also get the date and time in the other corner.

The unexpected-
*My calibrated settings from before are WAY off! Blacks are severely crushed and so are whites. Definitely need to recalibrate badly. I know my TV calibrated quite differently that most others before, so I'm assuming the evo kit kind of brought it back in line with everyone else. I'm assuming my numbers will be close to what others have reported. We'll find out. The colors seemed close, but blue needs a big adjustment. The biggest change was the white and black levels though. I'm betting my gray scale is all out of whack right now.

The bad-
*The TV won't connect to my 802.11n wifi network any longer. Well, it connects to the router, but tells me it's not getting an internet connection. Doesn't make any sense. I can connect it to the 802.11b/g network on the same router (so it's the same internet connection) and can connect. Not sure what's happening there.
*Even though I can connect to the slower wifi network, it won't let me check for a firmware update. It tells me that my internet connection is unstable and to contact my ISP. That can't be right. I have no problems with any other wireless devices, so I'm not sure what it's complaining about. Also, I can bring up the web browser on the TV and it works fine. No stability issues there, so... Because of this I can't run a firmware update on the TV or the kit right now. I currently have 1003 installed. Not sure if that's the latest firmware for the kit or not.

Anyway. Just thought I'd throw that out there. So what's the latest firmware for the TV with the kit installed?

Hi, same observations here plus a i noticed a few missing picture options as noted before by others.. The latest firmware is 1006.. I can connect to do a software update just after the TV is turned on, after that i get the same error message as you are having.. I suspect this will be fixed in future firmware.. My calibration was way off after the kits installation.. I now have it back where I like it, but it took alot of work.. I did not have any pro calibration equipment so hopefully someone that does will post an updated calibration.. The kit adds a lot of goodness but also has growing pains. Again, looking forward to future firmware updates. smile.gif
post #15674 of 16127
I am using your calibration with slight twist on brightness to my room (WOW). When I have the panel replaced, my calibration changed a little bit. It's interesting to see you say your calibration is way off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

Hi everyone- It's been awhile since I've posted in this thread. I check it every now and then, but have been busy tinkering with other things. Anyway, I just installed the evo kit and have spent about an hour messing with it. My initial observations:

The Good-
*The new remote is awesome. So much better than the old one. Either way I doubt I'll use it much.
*The new Smart Hub is way better than before. I might actually use it more now.
*There are small UI changes during normal use that I really like. For example, there's no longer the big ugly source box in upper-left corner of the screen when changing sources. You now have a smaller (non-box) source indicator that isn't so obtrusive. You also get the date and time in the other corner.

The unexpected-
*My calibrated settings from before are WAY off! Blacks are severely crushed and so are whites. Definitely need to recalibrate badly. I know my TV calibrated quite differently that most others before, so I'm assuming the evo kit kind of brought it back in line with everyone else. I'm assuming my numbers will be close to what others have reported. We'll find out. The colors seemed close, but blue needs a big adjustment. The biggest change was the white and black levels though. I'm betting my gray scale is all out of whack right now.

The bad-
*The TV won't connect to my 802.11n wifi network any longer. Well, it connects to the router, but tells me it's not getting an internet connection. Doesn't make any sense. I can connect it to the 802.11b/g network on the same router (so it's the same internet connection) and can connect. Not sure what's happening there.
*Even though I can connect to the slower wifi network, it won't let me check for a firmware update. It tells me that my internet connection is unstable and to contact my ISP. That can't be right. I have no problems with any other wireless devices, so I'm not sure what it's complaining about. Also, I can bring up the web browser on the TV and it works fine. No stability issues there, so... Because of this I can't run a firmware update on the TV or the kit right now. I currently have 1003 installed. Not sure if that's the latest firmware for the kit or not.

Anyway. Just thought I'd throw that out there. So what's the latest firmware for the TV with the kit installed?
post #15675 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by parodielin View Post

I am using your calibration with slight twist on brightness to my room (WOW). When I have the panel replaced, my calibration changed a little bit. It's interesting to see you say your calibration is way off.

It's actually fine now. I was finally able to update the firmware and can consistently connect to the internet using my slower network. Anyway, once I updated the firmware I checked the patterns again and was still seeing the same badly crushed blacks and whites. For the hell of it I performed the full system reset (not just picture reset) and put in my calibrated numbers again. All is back to normal! I haven't put the meter on the TV yet again, but it's very close to how it was before (if not exactly the same). So, it wasn't that my calibration needed to be overhauled, I simply needed to perform a full reset and put the old calibration numbers in again. There has been a lot of discussion in this thread before whether or not a full reset is necessary. I can say that a lot of times it's probably not, but I learned tonight that there is no doubt that the full reset made a huge difference in how my settings displayed on the panel. Before the reset, when I had the test pattern on (the built in pattern), I was barely able to see half of my white and black boxes across the top. They were getting crushed badly. After the full reset, everything was back to normal. So, people can believe it or not, but I know for a fact that a full reset can make a big impact on PQ.

At this point the only things that's wrong after installing the evo kit is that I can't connect to my faster n network. I'll try to figure out what's going on with that later. So far I'm pretty impressed with the kit. Oh, and I also was getting that stupid message about the STB not being found. I just turned all that off and am not seeing it anymore, but would like to figure out what's causing that. I'm guessing it's a bug and needs to be fixed.
Edited by Jestered - 7/30/13 at 7:40pm
post #15676 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post

Hi, same observations here plus a i noticed a few missing picture options as noted before by others.. The latest firmware is 1006.. I can connect to do a software update just after the TV is turned on, after that i get the same error message as you are having.. I suspect this will be fixed in future firmware.. My calibration was way off after the kits installation.. I now have it back where I like it, but it took alot of work.. I did not have any pro calibration equipment so hopefully someone that does will post an updated calibration.. The kit adds a lot of goodness but also has growing pains. Again, looking forward to future firmware updates. smile.gif

I plan on recalibrating mine this weekend and I'll post my updated settings. I don't expect them to be too much different, but...
post #15677 of 16127
...
Edited by Highland Logan - 1/3/14 at 3:40am
post #15678 of 16127
Hi all.

My two year old has managed to get his grubby little hands on my screen, full hand prints and some fingers.
Wondering what you all use to clean these off, I know the TV came with a cloth, but do you use any liquids at all, or just elbow grease and that cloth?

Thanks.
post #15679 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

Hi all.

My two year old has managed to get his grubby little hands on my screen, full hand prints and some fingers.
Wondering what you all use to clean these off, I know the TV came with a cloth, but do you use any liquids at all, or just elbow grease and that cloth?

Thanks.

Just use the cloth that came with the TV and barely get it wet with water. If the cloth slides easily across the screen, you've used to much water. You want it to be kind of sticky to the screen and it will take all that oil off the panel. It doesn't wipe off easy, so you'll have to keep wiping/rubbing, but it will come off.
post #15680 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

Just use the cloth that came with the TV and barely get it wet with water. If the cloth slides easily across the screen, you've used to much water. You want it to be kind of sticky to the screen and it will take all that oil off the panel. It doesn't wipe off easy, so you'll have to keep wiping/rubbing, but it will come off.

Thanks that did it. There were a lot more greased hand prints than I originally saw, once I started looking at it from all points of view.
post #15681 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

Thanks that did it. There were a lot more greased hand prints than I originally saw, once I started looking at it from all points of view.

Yeah I had to do the same thing to my TV last night after pulling it off the wall to put the evo kit in. When I first got the TV and hung it on the wall there were fingerprints on the screen, so I used some panel cleaner solution on it and it was a mess. It just left greasy streaks all over the screen. I then used the water method I told you to use and it got everything off nicely. The screen cleaner solution you can buy at Radio Shack and other places does not work on these glossy panel TVs. It works great on my old Sammy A550, but that TV doesn't have the really glossy screen like we have now.
post #15682 of 16127
I didn't realize the evo Kit was out now. I haven't been on the forum in a few months.
So I need to go back and read through.

$250 dollars, is that worth the upgrade price? I love upgrades, but wonder how much better this makes my set?
Edited by chrisjmccord - 7/31/13 at 11:43am
post #15683 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

What is this evo kit you're speaking of, have they come out with an upgrade for the sets now?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450292/official-samsung-smart-tv-evolution-kit-thread
post #15684 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

I didn't realize the evo Kit was out now. I haven't been on the forum in a few months.
So I need to go back and read through.

$250 dollars, is that worth the upgrade price? I love upgrades, but wonder how much better this makes my set?

It's been out for a little while now. I just finally got around to getting one. I got mine off Amazon for $167. Absolutely worth the upgrade for my needs/wants.
post #15685 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

It's been out for a little while now. I just finally got around to getting one. I got mine off Amazon for $167. Absolutely worth the upgrade for my needs/wants.

Did you buy new/used? Mind sharing who on Amazon you bought it from, at that price?
I found a used one for $152, but used kind of scares me.
Edited by chrisjmccord - 7/31/13 at 12:56pm
post #15686 of 16127
RE: Evo Kit

Any picture improvements? I'm wondering if I buy next years or the year after - - will it be worth it? I do not use the "Smart Hub" at all.

Does anyone know if Samsung will be coming out with a new Evo Kit for our TV's every year? For a maximum of what - - five years? And then you have to buy a new TV?

Best,
Rico
post #15687 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

RE: Evo Kit

Any picture improvements? I'm wondering if I buy next years or the year after - - will it be worth it? I do not use the "Smart Hub" at all.

Does anyone know if Samsung will be coming out with a new Evo Kit for our TV's every year? For a maximum of what - - five years? And then you have to buy a new TV?

Best,
Rico

I don't use the SmartHub at all right now as is, before the EVO kit, but looking at the features it has in the kit it seems like I might be using it.
I like how it scans whats on TV and gives suggestions with the cool movie poster art etc...the speed seems twice as fast too. So I'll go ahead and bite this year as well as future years.
I love that I can turn my 2012 into a 2013 pretty easily.
post #15688 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

Did you buy new/used? Mind sharing who on Amazon you bought it from, at that price?
I found a used one for $152, but used kind of scares me.

I bought mine new. It was sold and fulfilled by Amazon. They have it right now for $175 with Prime shipping. I don't know if you have a Prime account or not. I do so I got it with free two-day shipping. You can't beat dealing with Amazon when it comes to returns and stuff like that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

RE: Evo Kit

Any picture improvements? I'm wondering if I buy next years or the year after - - will it be worth it? I do not use the "Smart Hub" at all.

Does anyone know if Samsung will be coming out with a new Evo Kit for our TV's every year? For a maximum of what - - five years? And then you have to buy a new TV?

Best,
Rico

I thought it was going to be mainly SmartHub stuff, but it's so much more than that. The UI is different in everything, not just the SmartHub. There's some new settings as well (haven't really looked into what they actually do yet). The extra processing power allows it to have some pretty nice eye-candy as well. For example, when you go to SmartHub, the video you're watching zooms back, live and without stopping, to sit in the little box. When you exit the SmartHub it does the same thing. It zooms out to full screen. There's a lot I like about the updates to the UI and most don't have anything to do with the SmartHub.

I think they are supposed to support your TV for 4 years with the evo kit, then you're on your own. So I should be able to get a new kit for the next three years.

I haven't put my meter on it yet, but I don't think there's much, if at all, PQ change with the kit. It still looks as awesome as it did before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

I don't use the SmartHub at all right now as is, before the EVO kit, but looking at the features it has in the kit it seems like I might be using it.
I like how it scans whats on TV and gives suggestions with the cool movie poster art etc...the speed seems twice as fast too. So I'll go ahead and bite this year as well as future years.
I love that I can turn my 2012 into a 2013 pretty easily.

That was actually one of the things I was impressed with the most! You can set it where when you first turn on the TV, you get a large preview of what's on the cable or sat box, but yo have all these suggestions for what's on now and you can pick the cover art and it tunes to that channel. I was expecting all that to be for antenna only, but it works with your cable or sat provider box using the new remote. Also, another real cool thing is you can hit the "Guide" button on the new remote and it brings up a very nice guide, but it's got all my DirecTV data in it, not the OTA stuff. I actually like the guide on the TV better than the guide in my DirecTV box. If you want you can actually control all of your TV watching through the TV without ever seeing the sat or cable box UIs.

I'm very happy with it and need to mess around with it more when I get home from the office.
post #15689 of 16127
Sorry for the late respond.
Thanks so much for all your help.... I'll try and update my findings soon smile.gif
post #15690 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

I bought mine new. It was sold and fulfilled by Amazon. They have it right now for $175 with Prime shipping. I don't know if you have a Prime account or not. I do so I got it with free two-day shipping. You can't beat dealing with Amazon when it comes to returns and stuff like that too.
I thought it was going to be mainly SmartHub stuff, but it's so much more than that. The UI is different in everything, not just the SmartHub. There's some new settings as well (haven't really looked into what they actually do yet). The extra processing power allows it to have some pretty nice eye-candy as well. For example, when you go to SmartHub, the video you're watching zooms back, live and without stopping, to sit in the little box. When you exit the SmartHub it does the same thing. It zooms out to full screen. There's a lot I like about the updates to the UI and most don't have anything to do with the SmartHub.

I think they are supposed to support your TV for 4 years with the evo kit, then you're on your own. So I should be able to get a new kit for the next three years.

I haven't put my meter on it yet, but I don't think there's much, if at all, PQ change with the kit. It still looks as awesome as it did before.
That was actually one of the things I was impressed with the most! You can set it where when you first turn on the TV, you get a large preview of what's on the cable or sat box, but yo have all these suggestions for what's on now and you can pick the cover art and it tunes to that channel. I was expecting all that to be for antenna only, but it works with your cable or sat provider box using the new remote. Also, another real cool thing is you can hit the "Guide" button on the new remote and it brings up a very nice guide, but it's got all my DirecTV data in it, not the OTA stuff. I actually like the guide on the TV better than the guide in my DirecTV box. If you want you can actually control all of your TV watching through the TV without ever seeing the sat or cable box UIs.

I'm very happy with it and need to mess around with it more when I get home from the office.

Yeah I have Amazon Prime too, I got mine for that same price, minus a $5.00 credit they gave me for a previous return issue, so I did good, it will be here on Friday. I love Amazon Prime and the returns, can't beat that, best $75/year I spend.

Hearing what you are saying about the Cable UI, I'm exited, can you even run your DVR from the new Samsung UI or is it just basic channel surfing features? If I can run my DVR, that would be awesome. I have AT&T Uverse DVR and its ok, but a fresh change would be nice. I am excited now to get mine!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread