or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 524

post #15691 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

Yeah I have Amazon Prime too, I got mine for that same price, minus a $5.00 credit they gave me for a previous return issue, so I did good, it will be here on Friday. I love Amazon Prime and the returns, can't beat that, best $75/year I spend.

Hearing what you are saying about the Cable UI, I'm exited, can you even run your DVR from the new Samsung UI or is it just basic channel surfing features? If I can run my DVR, that would be awesome. I have AT&T Uverse DVR and its ok, but a fresh change would be nice. I am excited now to get mine!

I thought it was just basic channel and guide browsing, but there is a "DVR" button on the new remote, so I'm guessing you can access the DVR there. I don't know if it will bring up just the normal STB interface though. I am going to mess with it later and see how the DVR portion of the UI and new remote work.

Once it learns what you watch, it will also notify you with onscreen notifications that those shows are coming on. Unless I can figure out how to get this to all work with my URC remote, I probably won't really use it, but it's pretty cool.
post #15692 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

Yeah I have Amazon Prime too, I got mine for that same price, minus a $5.00 credit they gave me for a previous return issue, so I did good, it will be here on Friday. I love Amazon Prime and the returns, can't beat that, best $75/year I spend.

Hearing what you are saying about the Cable UI, I'm exited, can you even run your DVR from the new Samsung UI or is it just basic channel surfing features? If I can run my DVR, that would be awesome. I have AT&T Uverse DVR and its ok, but a fresh change would be nice. I am excited now to get mine!

You can run the DVR, although, it is your cable company's interface that the new remote brings up.
post #15693 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

I thought it was just basic channel and guide browsing, but there is a "DVR" button on the new remote, so I'm guessing you can access the DVR there. I don't know if it will bring up just the normal STB interface though. I am going to mess with it later and see how the DVR portion of the UI and new remote work.

Once it learns what you watch, it will also notify you with onscreen notifications that those shows are coming on. Unless I can figure out how to get this to all work with my URC remote, I probably won't really use it, but it's pretty cool.


It pulls up my comcast DVR. I had to disable all of the STB commands though as the power prompt was driving me nuts.
post #15694 of 16125
I can't get my UVerse DVR screen to come up, any tips to work this?

I also got the Samsung keyboard remote and it seems to only control basic features? Do I have to do something to get it to work? CH+/- doesn't even work?
post #15695 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

I can't get my UVerse DVR screen to come up, any tips to work this?

I also got the Samsung keyboard remote and it seems to only control basic features? Do I have to do something to get it to work? CH+/- doesn't even work?

Did you add the DVR as a device on the new remote (Menu-> System-> Device Manager-> Universal Remote Setup)? I'm able to bring up the DVR on DirecTV (Genie), but it may not be fully compatible with UVerse. I would be surprised that it wouldn't work with UVerse though.
post #15696 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

Did you add the DVR as a device on the new remote (Menu-> System-> Device Manager-> Universal Remote Setup)? I'm able to bring up the DVR on DirecTV (Genie), but it may not be fully compatible with UVerse. I would be surprised that it wouldn't work with UVerse though.

I'll go see if I did that. It works with a lot of the features, but not the DVR. So if I have AppleTV hooked up to my AVR, I guess I need to add that there too, BluRay and Xbox as well?

Also, did any of the TV settings experts share their picture settings for the TV after the EVO Kit was installed? Or should I just refer back to the same settings that I used from their posts from before?
post #15697 of 16125
So my AT&T box is there, it was added in the initial setup, then I added my bluray player and my denon AVR for the "home theater system", but thats all the devices it allows me to add.

So how do I use this new setup with my AppleTV and Xbox etc?

And the DVR still doesn't come up.
post #15698 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjcat View Post

You can run the DVR, although, it is your cable company's interface that the new remote brings up.

I can't seem to get the AT&T UVerse DVR menu to come up at all, if it did that would be great.

The issue I'm having is all my devices are connected to my AVR via HDMI inputs, and the TV and this new EVO Kit interface doesn't seem to know how to switch the HDMI inputs, its just accounting for whatever is on the HDMI Input 2 source at that time.

How can I teach it to do the switching or is that not possible?

I guess if this new remote and smarthub is not possible to work with my devices, I'm going to have to figure out how to disable it all and just go back to my Harmony remote and the original functions of that.
Edited by chrisjmccord - 8/4/13 at 6:54am
post #15699 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

I can't seem to get the AT&T UVerse DVR menu to come up at all, if it did that would be great.

The issue I'm having is all my devices are connected to my AVR via HDMI inputs, and the TV and this new EVO Kit interface doesn't seem to know how to switch the HDMI inputs, its just accounting for whatever is on the HDMI Input 2 source at that time.

How can I teach it to do the switching or is that not possible?

I guess if this new remote and smarthub is not possible to work with my devices, I'm going to have to figure out how to disable it all and just go back to my Harmony remote and the original functions of that.

Hmm, this is what I did to get my DVR to work with my new remote. Go to the Menu>system>setup>, on the 2 page of setup you will see channel source, mine is set to Set top box, and under that is Source, I had to change this setting, it seemed to default to HDMI1/DVI. I changed this to HDMI2. Actually, it is whatever you have your set top box HDMI set on. I run through the ARC, so mine is on the HDMI2. Next page will offer a zip code and enter that and then the page after that will show a list of providers in your area. I have Directv, I did see as I scrolled down that UVERSE is an option. Just follow through this set up and see if you have any luck.
I don't know if this will help...worth a shot. wink.gif
post #15700 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjcat View Post

Hmm, this is what I did to get my DVR to work with my new remote. Go to the Menu>system>setup>, on the 2 page of setup you will see channel source, mine is set to Set top box, and under that is Source, I had to change this setting, it seemed to default to HDMI1/DVI. I changed this to HDMI2. Actually, it is whatever you have your set top box HDMI set on. I run through the ARC, so mine is on the HDMI2. Next page will offer a zip code and enter that and then the page after that will show a list of providers in your area. I have Directv, I did see as I scrolled down that UVERSE is an option. Just follow through this set up and see if you have any luck.
I don't know if this will help...worth a shot. wink.gif

Thats exactly what I did, it controls the normal TV functions fine, CH +/-, etc...but the DVR button doesn't do anything. Thats all.
I'll run it through again to make sure there weren't any other AT&T UVerse Options.

Is yours UVerse DVR?
post #15701 of 16125
Finally got it to work the DVR!

I'm still not sold on this setup, unless I can figure out how to switch my Denon inputs from the remote, to matchup with the difference sources I go to, its no good to me.

Is there a way you all do this? I can't even get my AppleTV or Xbox now on the other HDMI inputs.
It seems the Samsung Device Manager only allows me to add a BluRay and AVR, nothing after that.
It really just has where I can add "BluRay" or "Home Theater System".
Edited by chrisjmccord - 8/4/13 at 10:19am
post #15702 of 16125
Also, anyone know how to get the SamsungTV apps audio to come through my Denon AVR?
post #15703 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

Also, anyone know how to get the SamsungTV apps audio to come through my Denon AVR?

I use an optical audio cable from the tv to the receiver, and when I want to use a TV app, I just hit 'TV Audio' input button on my Denon remote. Otherwise, you can enable HDMI CEC on both the receiver & the tv and allow it to auto switch (if your Denon also has audio return) but I've found that I don't like the issues HDMI CEC presents so I just use the optical cable
post #15704 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

I use an optical audio cable from the tv to the receiver, and when I want to use a TV app, I just hit 'TV Audio' input button on my Denon remote. Otherwise, you can enable HDMI CEC on both the receiver & the tv and allow it to auto switch (if your Denon also has audio return) but I've found that I don't like the issues HDMI CEC presents so I just use the optical cable

I think mine does, but I'm not sure I have it turned on or know what the issues are? I have seen the HDMI CEC stuff on the Samsung TV stuff, but wasn't sure what it all was.
post #15705 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

I think mine does, but I'm not sure I have it turned on or know what the issues are? I have seen the HDMI CEC stuff on the Samsung TV stuff, but wasn't sure what it all was.

I think you have to use HDMI2 which is labeled ARC. Also there is a setting somewhere in the TV menu where I turned off the TV's internal speaker. I have a Yamaha receiver and it works.
post #15706 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

I think mine does, but I'm not sure I have it turned on or know what the issues are? I have seen the HDMI CEC stuff on the Samsung TV stuff, but wasn't sure what it all was.

I think you have to use HDMI2 which is labeled ARC. Also there is a setting somewhere in the TV menu where I turned off the TV's internal speaker. I have a Yamaha receiver and it works.

I'll try the Denon thread, maybe more info there.
post #15707 of 16125
I found using the optical cable was easier than playing with ARC, just swap the input on your AVR
post #15708 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post

I found using the optical cable was easier than playing with ARC, just swap the input on your AVR

Here is the deal, I'm not as worried about the apps from the TV and their sound, because I'd rather use like Netflix via my AppleTV, and Pandora via my AVR, so a lot of the Smart Hub apps I rarely use. The Amazon Prime from time to time, would be nice to have the sound through AVR, so getting a optical cable would help there, unless I guess I setup the ARC.
post #15709 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

Here is the deal, I'm not as worried about the apps from the TV and their sound, because I'd rather use like Netflix via my AppleTV, and Pandora via my AVR, so a lot of the Smart Hub apps I rarely use. The Amazon Prime from time to time, would be nice to have the sound through AVR, so getting a optical cable would help there, unless I guess I setup the ARC.

Just pick up a toslink cable for $2-4 from monoprice, piece of cake.
post #15710 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post

Just pick up a toslink cable for $2-4 from monoprice, piece of cake.

I think I may have one in my old cable pile, that I removed when I went all HDMI.
post #15711 of 16125
Just finished installing my evo kit.. for the calibrators here who installed the kit, did you guys notice any changes to your settings afterwards and are you still using the settings posted earlier pre-evo kit?.. Just curious
post #15712 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by prme19 View Post

Just finished installing my evo kit.. for the calibrators here who installed the kit, did you guys notice any changes to your settings afterwards and are you still using the settings posted earlier pre-evo kit?.. Just curious
The Evokit does reset your picture settings. I couple of the calibrators recalibrated their sets after the install, but as I recall their settings were more or less the same as pre-Evo. I used Garnoch's pre-Evo settings (he isn't here much if at all and I'm sure he doesn't have the kit). The set looks as good or better than it did prior. My wife thinks it looks better, and she's a better judge than me.
post #15713 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post

The Evokit does reset your picture settings. I couple of the calibrators recalibrated their sets after the install, but as I recall their settings were more or less the same as pre-Evo. I used Garnoch's pre-Evo settings (he isn't here much if at all and I'm sure he doesn't have the kit). The set looks as good or better than it did prior. My wife thinks it looks better, and she's a better judge than me.

I agree with you, the set looks a little better now.. I did a full system reset after the installation and i noticed the settings were different from the original factory settings before.. And like what somebody mentioned before (not sure if it was from this forum or the evo kit forum), it must be the f series factory settings now.. So, i was wondering if using some of the popular settings from that series will be applicable now or not?.. i'm gonna leave the settings as it is now, as I dont have any calibration devices and use mainly the disney wow disc..
post #15714 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by prme19 View Post

I agree with you, the set looks a little better now.. I did a full system reset after the installation and i noticed the settings were different from the original factory settings before.. And like what somebody mentioned before (not sure if it was from this forum or the evo kit forum), it must be the f series factory settings now.. So, i was wondering if using some of the popular settings from that series will be applicable now or not?.. i'm gonna leave the settings as it is now, as I dont have any calibration devices and use mainly the disney wow disc..

I'm not sure if you're referring to what I said in this thread, but my calibrated settings were way off after installing the evo kit. I installed the kit and immediately put in my calibrated settings from before. Something looked "off", so I pulled up the test pattern that's built into the TV and immediately noticed that my whites and blacks were being crushed. I don't just mean a little either. They were being crushed bad. I didn't have time at that moment to pull out the meter and go through a full calibration so I decided to perform a full reset on the TV and then put my calibration settings back in. That resolved the issue with the crushed black and whites. I still haven't put my meter on it since installing the kit, but after performing the full reset the TV basically looks exactly like it did before. I do plan on putting the meter back on to fine tune it again, but I think it's pretty much the same as before. I have noticed since that the blacks seem to be improved compared to pre-kit viewing. My blacks were very dark and inky before, but every once in a while I notice something that just appears to be better than what I've been used to.
post #15715 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

I'm not sure if you're referring to what I said in this thread, but my calibrated settings were way off after installing the evo kit. I installed the kit and immediately put in my calibrated settings from before. Something looked "off", so I pulled up the test pattern that's built into the TV and immediately noticed that my whites and blacks were being crushed. I don't just mean a little either. They were being crushed bad. I didn't have time at that moment to pull out the meter and go through a full calibration so I decided to perform a full reset on the TV and then put my calibration settings back in. That resolved the issue with the crushed black and whites. I still haven't put my meter on it since installing the kit, but after performing the full reset the TV basically looks exactly like it did before. I do plan on putting the meter back on to fine tune it again, but I think it's pretty much the same as before. I have noticed since that the blacks seem to be improved compared to pre-kit viewing. My blacks were very dark and inky before, but every once in a while I notice something that just appears to be better than what I've been used to.

If you mentioned that the evo kit default settings are that of the F series, then yes.. I tried using a couple settings from the F series forum, but it just didnt look right on my tv (i have the 55 es8000 model), so i went back to the evo kit default settings (which i prefer more) and then maybe go back to my previous settings pre-evo kit.. Jestered, you being one of the popular calibrators here, i would be curious to know what you find out when you fine tune your set again.. because my set looks slightly improved even with just the default settings now.. I know that the evo kit is not supposed to affect picture quality, but somehow it did something..
post #15716 of 16125
I can understand perceived slight improvements in pic quality with the add of the EVO kit but I think we all can see from observing different threads and forums on the topic now, there is an absence of substantiated and significant or dramatic bump in the level of improvement in picture quality...IF pic quality was the only motivator to add the kit as it is in my case, I sit patiently and open minded as I continue to track progress.

I bought my 60es8000 in June 2012 and I will say that at somewhere around the 8 month mark, I realized that the vertical edges of the screen that seemed a tad lighter (about a 1.5" width) , expected for edge lit lcd, had all but disappeared.

I've played with many top 2013 models and none of them leave me "buyer remorsing" or "wanting" for a new panel when I get home. I still love this es8000. I do like the trends from many brands leaning toward ultra thin bezel but its not like our .5362" bezel is a wide crown moulding frame !!!

I appreciate you guys who have invested in the Evo. The cost of the kit has not been an issue surrounding this and that's a good thing.
post #15717 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by prme19 View Post

If you mentioned that the evo kit default settings are that of the F series, then yes.. I tried using a couple settings from the F series forum, but it just didnt look right on my tv (i have the 55 es8000 model), so i went back to the evo kit default settings (which i prefer more) and then maybe go back to my previous settings pre-evo kit.. Jestered, you being one of the popular calibrators here, i would be curious to know what you find out when you fine tune your set again.. because my set looks slightly improved even with just the default settings now.. I know that the evo kit is not supposed to affect picture quality, but somehow it did something..

The evo kit probably doesn't have much, if any, impact on PQ, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't change the starting point. So you may see a difference in what you're seeing because it's slightly different from what you were looking at before. That doesn't make it better or worse, just different. At least that's what happened to me. When I first installed it and put my numbers in, I thought that it looked different. As I mentioned I didn't think it looked better or worse, just different. It looked good! That's when I decided to pull up the built-in test patterns and noticed how badly the whites and blacks were being crushed. After the full reset it brought my test pattern back close to where they were before.

I'll definitely put the meter on the TV this weekend and report my findings. I don't think it's going to take much adjustment though. If anything I think my contrast ratio may be a little better. At least that's what it looks like during those times when I feel like the TV looks better/different. The blacks just appear to be a bit better at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

I can understand perceived slight improvements in pic quality with the add of the EVO kit but I think we all can see from observing different threads and forums on the topic now, there is an absence of substantiated and significant or dramatic bump in the level of improvement in picture quality...IF pic quality was the only motivator to add the kit as it is in my case, I sit patiently and open minded as I continue to track progress.

I bought my 60es8000 in June 2012 and I will say that at somewhere around the 8 month mark, I realized that the vertical edges of the screen that seemed a tad lighter (about a 1.5" width) , expected for edge lit lcd, had all but disappeared.

I've played with many top 2013 models and none of them leave me "buyer remorsing" or "wanting" for a new panel when I get home. I still love this es8000. I do like the trends from many brands leaning toward ultra thin bezel but its not like our .5362" bezel is a wide crown moulding frame !!!

I appreciate you guys who have invested in the Evo. The cost of the kit has not been an issue surrounding this and that's a good thing.

If PQ is all you're looking for, the evo kit is definitely not for you. I believe there's a slight difference in contrast ratio, but nothing that really jumps out at you. And even then you have to be watching a scene that is going to take advantage of the contrast ratio to begin with, so the difference is not noticed all the time.

I like the kit and the upgrades that it's provided, especially for the $160'ish that I paid. I was pretty amazed at all that it did. I was expecting it to be only the Smart Hub, but it's not. I think some people that are not interested because it's only a Smart Hub upgrade would actually like it and be surprised by it. That being said, again, if you're only looking for PQ upgrades, the kit isn't for you.
post #15718 of 16125
Thanks Jestered. Your input is appreciated and valued and pricing is definitely fantastic. I imagine i will buy the 2nd or 3rd generation Evo before a new panel in 2016.
Edited by Bladerunner1959 - 8/8/13 at 6:37pm
post #15719 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

I like the kit and the upgrades that it's provided, especially for the $160'ish that I paid. I was pretty amazed at all that it did. I was expecting it to be only the Smart Hub, but it's not. I think some people that are not interested because it's only a Smart Hub upgrade would actually like it and be surprised by it. That being said, again, if you're only looking for PQ upgrades, the kit isn't for you.
I agree, I loved my PQ before the kit and after the kit about the same. Jestered that's funny that you benefitted from a factory reset after you installed the kit. I say that because the kit basically replaces all of the original harware chips, so it should make the TV "factory" out of the box. Maybe your kit's "factory" was off somehow.
post #15720 of 16125
bignewt your absolutely right... the EVO kit installs the latest 2013 software completely from scratch so essentially it is doing a factory reset. Obviously the processing is different so therefore your previous settings will most likely look different...

Jester be interested to hear what you find after re-calibrating...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread