or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 165

post #4921 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

Lamonsasa,
I've mentioned this to you before. You have the 6500 which is a totally different TV than the one were discussing here. You will find out better info pertaining to your set on the ES6500 Owners Thread.

That's right, I've mentioned that before too.
Edited by Garnoch - 10/3/12 at 1:50pm
post #4922 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanhvt View Post

I think the same. That's why I'm still choosing standard mode over movie mode. It still gives the best image. I even can not understand why people would choose movie mode anyway. The grayed blacks are ruining the screen if you ask me, which makes me welcoming all the dimming techniques instead, even ce dimming. It may not work perfectly yet, but for me it's much better than the washed out image movie mode is producing.

I'm using Movie actually, and am very happy with it by using those other features - I just have a hard time with the CE Dimming in Standard, otherwise I love it. I find Black Enhancer creates a similar yet less noticeable effect as CE, and I'm back to having that off as of last night. I go back and forth.
post #4923 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by badwilly View Post

I have another not totally on subject question but wanted your opinions. My Sony BD players BDP-CX960 and BDP-S790, the Denon AVR-A100 and of course the TV all can convert a lower resolution video source to 1080P. Any thoughts as to which would provide the best picture. At the moment, I let the Denon up-convert lower resolution signals.

Being you're going through it with everything, I probably would do the same, but I honestly don't know for sure which would be best. That wasn't too off topic though smile.gif
THIS is off topic... I'm debating crushed ice for my friend Jack tonight instead of ice cubes, how's crushed ice sound?
post #4924 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

Being you're going through it with everything, I probably would do the same, but I honestly don't know for sure which would be best. That wasn't too off topic though smile.gif
THIS is off topic... I'm debating crushed ice for my friend Jack tonight instead of ice cubes, how's crushed ice sound?

That was great. I was laughing reading your post.
post #4925 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by badwilly View Post

I have another not totally on subject question but wanted your opinions. My Sony BD players BDP-CX960 and BDP-S790, the Denon AVR-A100 and of course the TV all can convert a lower resolution video source to 1080P. Any thoughts as to which would provide the best picture. At the moment, I let the Denon up-convert lower resolution signals.

BadWilly - - actually a good question and I will explain why. I use a Yamaha RX-A2000 receiver which handles the video processing for my Directv satellite, Sony BDP S790 Bluray Player (including streaming from Amazon Prime Video) and Micca EP350 Digital Media Player.

It's much more convenient this way and improves the signal from 720P or 1080i to 1080P. There is some debate on whether this helps the picture or not, but in my case, it has. Plus - - with a push of a button on my receiver remote - - I can verify the audio/video signal - - which is nice, especially with soundtracks to confirm Dolby 5.1, Dolby EX, DTS, etc.

A lot of folks on this forum go direct from their source to the TV without a receiver (or with a receiver - no video processing - just "pass thru" video mode). If your receiver can handle "3D" - - then all the better.

I can speak, directly, on my experience with the Sony BDP S790. Since it has two HDMI connections (one for video and one for audio) - I initially connected two separate HDMI cables - - one for audio, on for video. But there was a problem - - I no longer had the option of converting 2D to 3D via my Sony bluray player - - it just didn't work. So, I reconnected with one HDMI cable for audio and video to my Yamaha RX-A2000 receiver and now everything works great. I have the option of converting 2D to 3D from the Sony BDP S790 or the Samsung TV itself. And...I can verify audio/video signals on the TV screen via my Yamaha remote.

So - long winded answer but I believe it is best to route everything through your receiver and optimize that way.
post #4926 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

Lamonsasa,
I've mentioned this to you before. You have the 6500 which is a totally different TV than the one were discussing here. You will find out better info pertaining to your set on the ES6500 Owners Thread.

That has nothing to do with anything, our TV's have nearly identical settings.
post #4927 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

BadWilly - - actually a good question and I will explain why. I use a Yamaha RX-A2000 receiver which handles the video processing for my Directv satellite, Sony BDP S790 Bluray Player (including streaming from Amazon Prime Video) and Micca EP350 Digital Media Player.
It's much more convenient this way and improves the signal from 720P or 1080i to 1080P. There is some debate on whether this helps the picture or not, but in my case, it has. Plus - - with a push of a button on my receiver remote - - I can verify the audio/video signal - - which is nice, especially with soundtracks to confirm Dolby 5.1, Dolby EX, DTS, etc.
A lot of folks on this forum go direct from their source to the TV without a receiver (or with a receiver - no video processing - just "pass thru" video mode). If your receiver can handle "3D" - - then all the better.
I can speak, directly, on my experience with the Sony BDP S790. Since it has two HDMI connections (one for video and one for audio) - I initially connected two separate HDMI cables - - one for audio, on for video. But there was a problem - - I no longer had the option of converting 2D to 3D via my Sony bluray player - - it just didn't work. So, I reconnected with one HDMI cable for audio and video to my Yamaha RX-A2000 receiver and now everything works great. I have the option of converting 2D to 3D from the Sony BDP S790 or the Samsung TV itself. And...I can verify audio/video signals on the TV screen via my Yamaha remote.
So - long winded answer but I believe it is best to route everything through your receiver and optimize that way.

Thanks for the great and comprehensive response.
post #4928 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

Being you're going through it with everything, I probably would do the same, but I honestly don't know for sure which would be best. That wasn't too off topic though smile.gif
THIS is off topic... I'm debating crushed ice for my friend Jack tonight instead of ice cubes, how's crushed ice sound?

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Well, since I have to wait a couple of days for the new equipment to arrive to continue the pursuit of the perfect picture. I think I'll call my friends over tonight Ron (Bacardi), Jimmy (Beam), Jack (Daniel's) and discuss the job at hand over the next week!!! smile.gif
post #4929 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Well, since I have to wait a couple of days for the new equipment to arrive to continue the pursuit of the perfect picture. I think I'll call my friends over tonight Ron (Bacardi), Jimmy (Beam), Jack (Daniel's) and discuss the job at hand over the next week!!! smile.gif
Whenever I have those guys over they mess with my TV settings and I have to fix everything in the morning lol.
post #4930 of 16125
Man, those last two posts were really funny!
post #4931 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Well, since I have to wait a couple of days for the new equipment to arrive to continue the pursuit of the perfect picture. I think I'll call my friends over tonight Ron (Bacardi), Jimmy (Beam), Jack (Daniel's) and discuss the job at hand over the next week!!! smile.gif

Be careful on mentioning Ron, Jimmy & Jack with "job at hand" in the same sentence.
post #4932 of 16125
biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif........WOW! Funny place today!!! smile.gif
post #4933 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Be careful on mentioning Ron, Jimmy & Jack with "job at hand" in the same sentence.

Sounds like tingling of the party parts sorta. Cheers, and hoist one for us!
post #4934 of 16125
DOH!!
I went with crushed by the way. smile.gif
post #4935 of 16125
Hi - i recently bought the ES8000 and the CE dimming is driving me nusts - also i don't have the Black Enhancer option in any picture mode to try and tinker with - how can i turn the CE dimming off/on (i am not sure what stop the dimming - i belive it's off) by using the service menu?
Edited by darkar - 10/3/12 at 5:31pm
post #4936 of 16125
Welcome and congrats! CE Dimming right now can't be turned off. We've been trying to make a stink over that. That being said, if you use Movie mode, CE Dimming is automatically turned off. But.... so is the main feature of the TV - Micro Dimming. Which is why us who have moved to or stuck with Movie mode have been playing with Black Tone, Dynamic Contrast and Black Enhancer.
post #4937 of 16125
Is there any pq diff between Fit Screen vs 16:9 ?? I notice 16:9 is a tad zoom in then Fit Screen. Should I set my Uverse box to 720P or 1080i ?? Maybe I'm seeming things but 720 may seem clear pq ??
post #4938 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDenham View Post

Is there any pq diff between Fit Screen vs 16:9 ?? I notice 16:9 is a tad zoom in then Fit Screen. Should I set my Uverse box to 720P or 1080i ?? Maybe I'm seeming things but 720 may seem clear pq ??

I tried the Fit Screen but notice the bottom screen a static like :-/ went back to 16:9
post #4939 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDenham View Post

I tried the Fit Screen but notice the bottom screen a static like :-/ went back to 16:9

Same here - - even on HD content. I thought it might be confined to non HD source material, but I changed back to 16:9 and got rid of the squiggly lines - - which even appeared on CNN.
post #4940 of 16125
I've only noticed it on a couple of 4 x 3 SD things so I went back to screen fit because the picture was a tad soft when zoomed in, but if you're more comfortable with it on 16 x 9, go for it.
post #4941 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

I've only noticed it on a couple of 4 x 3 SD things so I went back to screen fit because the picture was a tad soft when zoomed in, but if you're more comfortable with it on 16 x 9, go for it.

Or u on 720 ?
post #4942 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Same here - - even on HD content. I thought it might be confined to non HD source material, but I changed back to 16:9 and got rid of the squiggly lines - - which even appeared on CNN.

Or u set to 720p ?
post #4943 of 16125
I don't have Uverse, I have DirecTV which is set to output each channel at it's native resolution.
post #4944 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDenham View Post

Or u set to 720p ?

Directv (Native Resolution) - either 720p or 1080i upscaled to 1080p via Yamaha RX-A2000 receiver. Since I'm seeing the squiggly lines on even HD content, I've reverted back to the 16:9 setting.

If you're going direct from your satellite or cable box to the TV - then your situation and picture might be different.
post #4945 of 16125
I have been a Standard mode fan since we got our 55" 7500. I never really cared for Movie mode, but, i thought I'd check it out again this evening.
The latest firmware didn't do much I could see in Standard, but Movie mode looks much better to me now. I have just done some initial adjustments, but am quite liking it.
Not sure if I'll stay with Movie, or go back to Standard.... Whereas before the firmware, I really didn't care for Movie mode.
post #4946 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

I'm using Movie actually, and am very happy with it by using those other features - I just have a hard time with the CE Dimming in Standard, otherwise I love it. I find Black Enhancer creates a similar yet less noticeable effect as CE, and I'm back to having that off as of last night. I go back and forth.

I've watched a couple blu-rays over the last couple days in movie mode and I can say now definitely that turning on Black Enhancer causes some brightness fluctuations in the image - according to the review that was linked to the other day, enabling Black Enhancer does cause the image to auto-brighten, and I definitely noticed it constantly during the last 2 films I saw, both which were rather dark. The thing is I never noticed this happening before - and I've had Black Enhancer on for a long time now - only in the last few days (after the last update) did I notice brightness fluctuations like this. I'm thinking more and more that something has changed sine the last update. I certainly would have noticed if this was happening before.

I finally disabled Black Enhancer mid-way through the second film, and from then on there were no more fluctuations. Keep in mind it's subtle - but with darker films it happens constantly since Black Enhancer is trying to make objects in dark scenes brighter (from what I understand). But - as I noticed the other day and confirmed again tonight - turning Black Enhancer off causes the image to auto-dim, just like in standard mode, but not as dramatic. This makes me sad, because this means that no matter what you set Black Enhancer to, the set will auto-something in movie mode.

If off, it auto-dims when the screen is very dark, making dark scenes even darker and harder to see (why???).
If on, it auto-brightens when the screen is very dark, causing brightness fluctuations.

Either way, even movie mode has auto-tampering that can't be turned off. Why can't there be ONE SINGLE MODE that we can just use without auto-dim, auto-brighten, auto-anything? I don't want dark scenes to be darkened more, and I don't want dark scenes to be brightened more - I want them to be shown the way they are. I gave up on plasmas partly because of the endless ABL brightness limiter that constantly dimmed the screen if it got too bright, wrecking havoc with bright movies. Now I'm going through just the opposite with Samsung's LCDs. So Samsung plasmas are good with dark scenes but bad for bright scenes, and their LCDs are good with bright scenes but bad for dark scenes. So frustrating.

I'm also still wrestling with trying to get some descent color. The movies looked terrible color-wise - very greenish and lifeless. I reset everything today and I'm trying again - so far it seems to be a big improvement, but faces sometimes look way too pink. Other times faces look just right. More often than not they look a bit too pink. Flesh tone doesn't seem to help enough, and if I'm not real careful things quickly go from too pink to too greenish. Where's the pink setting? wink.gif
post #4947 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

Did you read that review I posted yet? It mentions that the Micro dimming is tied to the Dynamic Contrst and Black Enhancer/black Tone.. Have you messed around with those 3 settings to see if it helped at all yet?
I know this must be frustrating for you, and I'm really trying to get to the bottom of this and I'm starting to get a little pissed that I don't have any answers yet. I'm sure the Email that I sent to them had a lot of technical questions that she has no idea about, and needs to investigate a little before she gets back to me.

I mentioned this over a month ago:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/3360#post_22370680

It's not micro dimming in movie mode with Dynamic Contrast and Black Enhancer ON, but they are similar to what Micro-Dimming really does. Those two settings control dimming, but don't do it based on zones as Micro-Dimming is supposed to be doing. My guess as to why black enhancer is greyed out of the other modes except for Movie is that with "CE Dimming" (or whatever name you want to give it) together with black enhancer would cause the screen to shut completely off during really dark scenes in movies. Checkout the scene in The Avengers when Thor grabs Loki and jumps out of the plane. In Standard mode, the backlight dims down similar to having it at 0. It does not do this in Movie with Black Enhancer ON.

When I posted a month ago that I was using backlight as low as 2 in Movie Mode to get darker blacks, people laughed. The interesting thing about the review you posted is that he upped gamma to +2 while having a lower backlight, which I am now going to experiment with.
post #4948 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

I'm using Movie actually, and am very happy with it by using those other features - I just have a hard time with the CE Dimming in Standard, otherwise I love it. I find Black Enhancer creates a similar yet less noticeable effect as CE, and I'm back to having that off as of last night. I go back and forth.

The thing is, ce dimming has never bothered me so much. I said before, I think it does a very great job. The subtleness is well done. Of course you can see it if you pay attention, and you will notice some differences in natural appearance when you combine a dimmed screen with an undimmed screen. But this is just the way it is right now and is does not limit my movie experience. It only does that when the screen becomes to dark so it becomes unwatchable.
post #4949 of 16125
Eagle, I don't see what you see with Black Enhancer. What happens on mine is a dimming effect during dark scenes, similar but much more subtle than CE. With it off, I have none of that. Wonder what's going on.
post #4950 of 16125
RaylanG (new name?), I totally agree with everything you said except I still think 2 is a little too low. That's just personal preference though so go for it. I could maybe do 3 in Movie mode if the film where bright but using a dark film for reference in a dark room, I went with a backlight of 4.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread