or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 225

post #6721 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtm73 View Post

I will be happy to be the guinea pig for firmware updates here. I haven't seen a step backward and the last update was compellingly better on smoothing the CE dimming issue to the point where I haven't even bothered with the workaround.

Not to be argumentative, but I think that is a matter of perception more than any solid evidence that they addressed it in any way, shape or form. I have the latest update and my auto-dimming is every bit as aggressive as ever - Just the other day I tested this by reverting my settings so as to not use the workaround (really all you have to do to check this is drop the brightness down to 46, play something preferably with alternating shots of dark and bright scenes, and pull up the on-screen menu and watch what happens). The auto-dimming was every bit as bad as before. To be honest I would be surprised if Samsung actually bothered to address this in any way, so I'm not convinced the latest update did anything.

This is just my observation.
post #6722 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolk11 View Post

Hi there,
Hi THere I have an es7000. I dont know if i understand the problems just right but... when i am using smart hup I can set it up to communicate dd5.1 or DTS surround othrough spdf. The normal setting is PCM so this will give stereo sound.
You have to go to menu and than go to the SPDif settings (I believe in system) while playing the movie than u can set PCM to DTS or Dolby Digital depends on the file your playing. after that it will sent DTS or Dolby Digital to the receiver.
It is strange it works this way but... it works!

I did notice this myself when playing files off the internal player from a USB flash drive. If I play a file with DTS or Dolby Digital it defaults to PCM - I have to manually select the 5.1 stream by selecting Dolby Digital or DTS in the SPDIF settings like you mentioned. I haven't tried streaming anything over their apps yet so I haven't tried to see how that works with streaming, but it makes sense that this would solve the issue with getting 5.1 through the apps.
post #6723 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by norse360 View Post

This might be stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway smile.gif
Is there any way to make a "shortcut" to the game mode? I have a PS3 connected through a receiver and I use it for both games and movies. I feel a huge difference in lag when using game mode and I would like to activate it easily when gaming without going through the menus.

I really wish there was a way to make a few often-used "shortcuts". It is a royal pain to have to dig several layers deep into the menu to make a simple change, especially to something that might be used often like game mode.
post #6724 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by norse360 View Post

This might be stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway smile.gif
Is there any way to make a "shortcut" to the game mode? I have a PS3 connected through a receiver and I use it for both games and movies. I feel a huge difference in lag when using game mode and I would like to activate it easily when gaming without going through the menus.

Mine automatically sets it to game mode when I turn on the PS and install a game to be played. Strange....
post #6725 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffstik View Post

Ok...im sold. Going to pick up this set.
...You wont be sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndeaverouX View Post

that's funny, you sound like a DOOMS DAY PREPPER...lol Gosh forbid your TV doesn't communicate to the outside world, but your bluray player can....lol..double standard dont you think....lol
I do agree with you, these new smart tvs are a GIMMICK, I have the UN46ES7500.....NOT IMPRESSED with smart hub at all..... but the picture is amazing....
these days, if you want the best tv, unfortunately they will bundle it with the Smart Hub non sense....
Its tough (maybe impossible) to find a better or equal samsung tv (UNxxES8000) without the smarthub...its the top of the line flagship model!
....I know right! I knew all along that I wanted an amazing pic and that I'd be forced to "bundle" things. The biggest benefit of the 8000 for me is the fact that I had no big interest in 3d....until I watched 3d at home with this...WAY BETTER than the theater... I'll turn on some voice command for the holidays to let it stretch it's legs a little while family is over on x-mas eve...then i'll pull the plug.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtm73 View Post

I will be happy to be the guinea pig for firmware updates here. I haven't seen a step backward and the last update was compellingly better on smoothing the CE dimming issue to the point where I haven't even bothered with the workaround.
....This is the first compelling and decisive post I remember that clearly speaks as specifically to a feature with regard to a FW....That said, I am FAR from letting my 8000 talk to the outside world.....I have a hunch I will never update the FW on this bad boy. In this day and age of convergence blah blah blah I doubt any update will adress video performance...It's all about hub, streaming etc etc...My 6500 bd player is happily lifting the load with communication..I have to name everything so.... It's called "the bridge" and my Harmony is "Hal 9000"..... I actually dont want anything on my pic changed. At this point only the minimal flashlight effect is an aspect that i'd take action on and I dont think that is a software issue..

This may not be a perfect TV but guess what....Neither was the Elite when I was doing all the hard core shopping! Neither was any plasma...actually no plasma even came close to this when I thought about parting with cash....The new Sony not perfect and causes zero buyer remorse for me...and I love Sony.....This is exactly what I expected at this price point.
post #6726 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Not to be argumentative, but I think that is a matter of perception more than any solid evidence that they addressed it in any way, shape or form. I have the latest update and my auto-dimming is every bit as aggressive as ever - Just the other day I tested this by reverting my settings so as to not use the workaround (really all you have to do to check this is drop the brightness down to 46, play something preferably with alternating shots of dark and bright scenes, and pull up the on-screen menu and watch what happens). The auto-dimming was every bit as bad as before. To be honest I would be surprised if Samsung actually bothered to address this in any way, so I'm not convinced the latest update did anything.
This is just my observation.

I did perform the firmware update last night and there were no negative effects. This time, I turned off my Directv STB and went through the menu like normal.

Maybe it is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak, but auto dimming looked less aggressive to me - - at least less visually noticeable. I'll find out this weekend when we watch 3D Underworld Awakening - - which has a lot of dark scenes.
post #6727 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Garnoch - glad to see you've got power! By the way - - any chance that the artifacts for Directv have any relation to the power outage and resumption?
By the way - - AVS Forum http://www.3d-blurayrental.com/ (3D Content) - with other folks experiences. Just watched 3D Spiderman. Looking forward to Men in Black III - later this month.
I might try the update - - if it helps dimming, that that's beneficial. Here I go again....

Thanks! And thanks for letting me know about the 3D haha smile.gif

I was thinking the same thing about losing power for that long, or that it was always this bad and I wasn't seeing it until getting TV back after all that. I've restarted the STB a few times with no change. Then last night I watched a new recording from NBC and it looked amazing. Then I knew I wasn't crazy and went back to the two CBS recordings I had that looked like crap. They came up as 1080i, and still looked like crap, so I manually switched to 720p in the STB and they looked great all of a sudden. That made no sense because CBS is 1080i like NBC. When I switched back to the native 1080i, it still looked great. My guess is something wasn't working right in the STB and by switching resolutions, I triggered something to "fix" it. That barely makes sense though so I'll see what happens moving forward.
post #6728 of 16125
Anyone know why when you buy Blu-ray, the digital copies are SD? I would buy BD MUCH more often if the digital copies were HD.
post #6729 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Not to be argumentative, but I think that is a matter of perception more than any solid evidence that they addressed it in any way, shape or form. I have the latest update and my auto-dimming is every bit as aggressive as ever - Just the other day I tested this by reverting my settings so as to not use the workaround (really all you have to do to check this is drop the brightness down to 46, play something preferably with alternating shots of dark and bright scenes, and pull up the on-screen menu and watch what happens). The auto-dimming was every bit as bad as before. To be honest I would be surprised if Samsung actually bothered to address this in any way, so I'm not convinced the latest update did anything.
This is just my observation.

In a continued effort to be fullsome it is worth, again, pointing out that there is another, and likely more important, variable at play here other than just Eagle having greater perception. I am commenting on the ES8000. Eagle is commenting on the ES7500 (I believe).
Edited by gtm73 - 11/16/12 at 7:01am
post #6730 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

.......This is the first compelling and decisive post I remember that clearly speaks as specifically to a feature with regard to a FW.....

I wouldn't call my post decisive as it is merely my opinion, but for what I paid for the firmware upgrade I am very happy with the improvement (perceived or real).
post #6731 of 16125
I seem to be having the TV rebooting/restarting problem that was discussed several months back. Looking back it seems to have been network related and was fixed by a firmware update. I've had my set since May and never had this issue until about a week ago. It happens both when watching TV through dish receiver and also occurred while watching Netflix through Smart Hub. I'm on the latest firmware 1041.1 and have all audio through a receiver. Dish via hdmi to receiver and then to ES8000 and Smart Hub audio is through optical. Any suggestions? I disconnected the LAN cable to the TV last night but haven't watched enough to see if that fixes it as it can sometimes happen every 5 minutes or not once in hours.
post #6732 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtm73 View Post

In a continued effort to be fullsome it is worth, again, pointing out that there is another, and likely more important, variable at play here other than just Eagle having greater perception. I am commenting on the ES8000. Eagle is commenting on the ES7500 (I believe).

This is true. I do find it hard to believe that the auto-dimming would be that much more noticeable in the 7500 vs the 8000 though. Don't they both share the same firmware? Plus from what I've seen all of their models have suffered from this for years, with no signs of them addressing the issue. I'm still unclear about the "shadow detail" setting they used to include in their settings but took away. According to Samsung's own literature, it was supposed to reduce or eliminate the amount of auto-dimming during dark scenes, but they took that option out for some reason. Look it up if you're interested - I posted what they had to say about "shadow detail" quite a while back in this thread.
post #6733 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

Anyone know why when you buy Blu-ray, the digital copies are SD? I would buy BD MUCH more often if the digital copies were HD.

I have thought this many many times. It's another example of how the studios just don't get it. You can download, from any number of sites, very high quality 720p or 1080p blu-ray rips, and you can make you're own too from your discs, for the convenience of taking the files on the go. You would think the studios would want to compete by offering their own digital files. So what do they do? Include a SD rip with your HD blu-ray! Did that make sense to anybody who came up with this idea? A high-quality HD rip would easily fit onto a DVD-9 in most cases. Why not include an HD rip on a bonus DVD with blu-rays, instead of including a SD rip or a SD DVD? I always hate how I have to buy a 2-disc set just so they can bump up the cost a bit to make it look like you're getting more for your money when really, the 2nd disc is a lousy DVD, and the special features aren't even included on the DVD most of the time - only on the BD. If the studios started including 1080p HD files, DRM-free with your blu-ray purchase, none of this ultraviolet crap, then that would be a huge incentive to customers to buy more BD. It would certainly be more appealing to me.

Sorry if this isn't exactly on topic, I just had to comment on this post.
post #6734 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

This is true. I do find it hard to believe that the auto-dimming would be that much more noticeable in the 7500 vs the 8000 though. Don't they both share the same firmware? Plus from what I've seen all of their models have suffered from this for years, with no signs of them addressing the issue. I'm still unclear about the "shadow detail" setting they used to include in their settings but took away. According to Samsung's own literature, it was supposed to reduce or eliminate the amount of auto-dimming during dark scenes, but they took that option out for some reason. Look it up if you're interested - I posted what they had to say about "shadow detail" quite a while back in this thread.

I find it harder to believe that your powers of perception are greater than the other contributors to this thread who just happen to own 8000s. There are signs of them addressing this issue... just read back through this thread, if you are interested, and you will note many contributors far more experienced than me saying that they have noticed an improved auto dimming.

Garnoch put it best when he said that although it seemed to be pointing in the direction that the 8000 has a softer feeling auto dim that he just didn't want to believe it because he has a 7500 (paraphrasing as best I can, apologise if I am putting the wrong words in your mouth, Garnoch).
post #6735 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

I did notice this myself when playing files off the internal player from a USB flash drive. If I play a file with DTS or Dolby Digital it defaults to PCM - I have to manually select the 5.1 stream by selecting Dolby Digital or DTS in the SPDIF settings like you mentioned. I haven't tried streaming anything over their apps yet so I haven't tried to see how that works with streaming, but it makes sense that this would solve the issue with getting 5.1 through the apps.
So this is a way to get streaming Netflix or VuDu movies from the Smarthub to play true 5.1 sound? Pardon me for asking but where are the SPDIF settings located, and what does PCM stand for?
post #6736 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

I have thought this many many times. It's another example of how the studios just don't get it. You can download, from any number of sites, very high quality 720p or 1080p blu-ray rips, and you can make you're own too from your discs, for the convenience of taking the files on the go. You would think the studios would want to compete by offering their own digital files. So what do they do? Include a SD rip with your HD blu-ray! Did that make sense to anybody who came up with this idea? A high-quality HD rip would easily fit onto a DVD-9 in most cases. Why not include an HD rip on a bonus DVD with blu-rays, instead of including a SD rip or a SD DVD? I always hate how I have to buy a 2-disc set just so they can bump up the cost a bit to make it look like you're getting more for your money when really, the 2nd disc is a lousy DVD, and the special features aren't even included on the DVD most of the time - only on the BD. If the studios started including 1080p HD files, DRM-free with your blu-ray purchase, none of this ultraviolet crap, then that would be a huge incentive to customers to buy more BD. It would certainly be more appealing to me.
Sorry if this isn't exactly on topic, I just had to comment on this post.

The studios get it just fine, they are optimizing the P*Q-C value equation. Little to no impact on Q (quantity), increased P (price) and little to no increase on C (cost). You said it yourself, you buy the two disc set and then just complain about it. Across the whole they don't sell LESS product, they sell the same product for a greater price.

Eagle, the man isn't out to get you, he just wants to make the best profit he can. You aren't entitled to stuff for free just because you want it.
post #6737 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by norse360 View Post

This might be stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway smile.gif
Is there any way to make a "shortcut" to the game mode? I have a PS3 connected through a receiver and I use it for both games and movies. I feel a huge difference in lag when using game mode and I would like to activate it easily when gaming without going through the menus.

what kinda lag are you talking about? you mean audio delay? if its audio you can sync the sound between the TV & avr by going to the audio menu setttings....

I hope you are not talking bout video lag...most people have crappy wifi reception during game playing...Personally, use an ethernet cable direclty to your router....I never lag....

Now if you are using DSL or netzero dial-up services, I feel sorry for you.....

But I never heard of video lagging due to any tv settings...thats the 1st for me.....
post #6738 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtm73 View Post

I find it harder to believe that your powers of perception are greater than the other contributors to this thread who just happen to own 8000s. There are signs of them addressing this issue... just read back through this thread, if you are interested, and you will note many contributors far more experienced than me saying that they have noticed an improved auto dimming.
Garnoch put it best when he said that although it seemed to be pointing in the direction that the 8000 has a softer feeling auto dim that he just didn't want to believe it because he has a 7500 (paraphrasing as best I can, apologise if I am putting the wrong words in your mouth, Garnoch).

You kind of are. What I said was that it wouldn't surprise me is the 7500's dimming is more active and noticeable because of the possibility that CE Dimming is being activated my the "Micro Dimming zones", and as we know, the 8000 has more zones to finesse whatever it is that it's doing. Had I know about the dimming issue, I may have gone with the 8000, but I needed a certain footprint and preferred the 7500 stand and black bezel. Now that I have a way around the dimming though, I'm glad I went with the 7500.
post #6739 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPWingN View Post

Gtm: I respectably disagree. I disagree because...... Uh.... Because....
Dammit! I have a 7500! I disagree because I don't want it to be true.
So there.
The above post was done tongue firmly in cheek.
No offense was neither implied nor intended.

Garnoch, I apologise for misquoting you. I attributed BPWingN's comment to you.

I meant to say "I believe that BPWingN put it best in the quote shown above."
post #6740 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

I have thought this many many times. It's another example of how the studios just don't get it. You can download, from any number of sites, very high quality 720p or 1080p blu-ray rips, and you can make you're own too from your discs, for the convenience of taking the files on the go. You would think the studios would want to compete by offering their own digital files. So what do they do? Include a SD rip with your HD blu-ray! Did that make sense to anybody who came up with this idea? A high-quality HD rip would easily fit onto a DVD-9 in most cases. Why not include an HD rip on a bonus DVD with blu-rays, instead of including a SD rip or a SD DVD? I always hate how I have to buy a 2-disc set just so they can bump up the cost a bit to make it look like you're getting more for your money when really, the 2nd disc is a lousy DVD, and the special features aren't even included on the DVD most of the time - only on the BD. If the studios started including 1080p HD files, DRM-free with your blu-ray purchase, none of this ultraviolet crap, then that would be a huge incentive to customers to buy more BD. It would certainly be more appealing to me.
Sorry if this isn't exactly on topic, I just had to comment on this post.

You didn't go off topic, I did haha. But we talk about 3D BD here with our Samsungs and wanted everyone's opinions or knowledge. I don't think they get it either for one simple reason.... I would buy more discs if I could have HD digital copies from iTunes. Therefore they are losing money from me, and from what I read, more and more people are doing what I have been doing - getting away from discs. The perceived quality difference between 1080p on Blu-ray and from iTunes is small enough that I prefer to have everything on my server and in the cloud. My entire movie, home movie, music and picture collection is at my family's fingertips on every TV in the house because of this. The only time I bought a disc in the past few years was the Avengers in 3D and it gave me an SD copy. There are other 3D movies I'm considering buying but I'm not sure now. Let's take Pixar's Brave for instance. This movie will get watched in my house probably at least 10 times, but if I buy it in 3D, it will only get watched in 3D probably once - when I watch it with the family. Every other time, will be my kids either playing it through an Apple TV or on a device on a trip. So what makes more sense, buying the disc with an SD download or buying the download in HD? The studio gets my money either way, but I would buy the Blu-ray if it also gave me an HD download. I could buy a Blu-ray drive to rip into the computer, but the studios would prefer I don't do that. Therefore they don't get it.... yet. It seems to be turning around in the last couple months. I started reading after I made that post that certain discs are popping up with HD downloads. If I can confirm that Brave is one of them, I would buy the disc. Otherwise I won't.
post #6741 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

You didn't go off topic, I did haha. But we talk about 3D BD here with our Samsungs and wanted everyone's opinions or knowledge. I don't think they get it either for one simple reason.... I would buy more discs if I could have HD digital copies from iTunes. Therefore they are losing money from me, and from what I read, more and more people are doing what I have been doing - getting away from discs. The perceived quality difference between 1080p on Blu-ray and from iTunes is small enough that I prefer to have everything on my server and in the cloud. My entire movie, home movie, music and picture collection is at my family's fingertips on every TV in the house because of this. The only time I bought a disc in the past few years was the Avengers in 3D and it gave me an SD copy. There are other 3D movies I'm considering buying but I'm not sure now. Let's take Pixar's Brave for instance. This movie will get watched in my house probably at least 10 times, but if I buy it in 3D, it will only get watched in 3D probably once - when I watch it with the family. Every other time, will be my kids either playing it through an Apple TV or on a device on a trip. So what makes more sense, buying the disc with an SD download or buying the download in HD? The studio gets my money either way, but I would buy the Blu-ray if it also gave me an HD download. I could buy a Blu-ray drive to rip into the computer, but the studios would prefer I don't do that. Therefore they don't get it.... yet. It seems to be turning around in the last couple months. I started reading after I made that post that certain discs are popping up with HD downloads. If I can confirm that Brave is one of them, I would buy the disc. Otherwise I won't.

Are you positing that the studio's don't see any money when you purchase a movie on iTunes?
post #6742 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndeaverouX View Post

what kinda lag are you talking about? you mean audio delay? if its audio you can sync the sound between the TV & avr by going to the audio menu setttings....
I hope you are not talking bout video lag...most people have crappy wifi reception during game playing...Personally, use an ethernet cable direclty to your router....I never lag....
Now if you are using DSL or netzero dial-up services, I feel sorry for you.....
But I never heard of video lagging due to any tv settings...thats the 1st for me.....

Maybe I misunderstood, but the purpose of game mode is to remove as much extra processing to the picture as possible because that stuff does create lag. The same lag you can see in the audio when listened to a certain way, which is also why the TV has a built in audio delay to help offset the lag created in the picture. If I remember right, and I might not, the lag with the standard video processing on is about 60 or 80 ms and game mode minimizes it to around 30ms. Again, I could be very wrong about those numbers, but that's the gist.

I don't know of a shortcut and don't really use Game mode but will be checking it out when the Wii U arrives next week. I assumed if you turned it on for a certain input, it would stay on for that input. That's not how it works?
post #6743 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtm73 View Post

Are you positing that the studio's don't see any money when you purchase a movie on iTunes?

Nope, which is why I wrote, "The studio gets my money either way". But it is possible that they'll make more money off me if I'm buying a 4 disc 3D set.
post #6744 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtm73 View Post

Garnoch, I apologise for misquoting you. I attributed BPWingN's comment to you.
I meant to say "I believe that BPWingN put it best in the quote shown above."

No worries
post #6745 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post

So this is a way to get streaming Netflix or VuDu movies from the Smarthub to play true 5.1 sound? Pardon me for asking but where are the SPDIF settings located, and what does PCM stand for?

Think of PCM as an encoding method, like MP3 is. It stands for Pulse-code modulation.
post #6746 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

Nope, which is why I wrote, "The studio gets my money either way". But it is possible that they'll make more money off me if I'm buying a 4 disc 3D set.

It certainly is possible that on that particular sale their revenue could be higher...I trust that if there is money in it, after considering costs, that the smart folks in the "studio's" will finally "get it"....I also trust that if there isn't as much money in it we won't see it regardless of how much we feel entitled to it...
post #6747 of 16125
Hopefully. I'm not one of those that feel entitled to it though, as I know many do. It's just an added incentive to buy a disc instead of buying or stealing download, or ripping it yourself which then could wind up in other people's hands. But based on the reason's it exists, more studios need to get with it.
post #6748 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

You didn't go off topic, I did haha. But we talk about 3D BD here with our Samsungs and wanted everyone's opinions or knowledge. I don't think they get it either for one simple reason.... I would buy more discs if I could have HD digital copies from iTunes. Therefore they are losing money from me, and from what I read, more and more people are doing what I have been doing - getting away from discs. The perceived quality difference between 1080p on Blu-ray and from iTunes is small enough that I prefer to have everything on my server and in the cloud. My entire movie, home movie, music and picture collection is at my family's fingertips on every TV in the house because of this. The only time I bought a disc in the past few years was the Avengers in 3D and it gave me an SD copy. There are other 3D movies I'm considering buying but I'm not sure now. Let's take Pixar's Brave for instance. This movie will get watched in my house probably at least 10 times, but if I buy it in 3D, it will only get watched in 3D probably once - when I watch it with the family. Every other time, will be my kids either playing it through an Apple TV or on a device on a trip. So what makes more sense, buying the disc with an SD download or buying the download in HD? The studio gets my money either way, but I would buy the Blu-ray if it also gave me an HD download. I could buy a Blu-ray drive to rip into the computer, but the studios would prefer I don't do that. Therefore they don't get it.... yet. It seems to be turning around in the last couple months. I started reading after I made that post that certain discs are popping up with HD downloads. If I can confirm that Brave is one of them, I would buy the disc. Otherwise I won't.

Garnoch - making consumer's lives easier has never been major movie studio's main objective. They are constantly worried about digital rights (understandably so) but do not adapt very well to new technology that they cannot control.

That being said, I understand the convenience of streaming and I stream primarily Amazon Prime to my Sammy 65" but I mostly use Bluray and 3D Bluray.

Here's why - - picture quality and features, first and foremost. Even with a fast connection, your pixels will stream at a max of around 10 mbps. Bluray is up to 36 mbps - - plus any added features on the disk. And when it gets to 3D Bluray discs - - without a doubt, it's a much better format and the full audio soundtrack is available, as well (7.1 in many instances). VUDU will stream 3D, but not 3D with a 7.1 soundtrack.

I hope I'm not off topic relative to your comment, but I agree with you that if you are going to shell out the bucks for a Bluray movie, they should be able to provide the same quality streaming experience - - or as close as they can via the "cloud" or iTunes & other formats.

I'm not the norm - - I still belong to Blockbuster as well as 3D Bluray Rental for 3D flicks. The latter was in lieu of buying every 3D disk I watched or renting (streaming) and paying a five to six buck cost per movie - - without the benefit of the full soundtrack. I may eventually cancel Blockbuster if I can get 3D Bluray Rental to provide more discs and a lower price. I watch a lot of movies but if it's a stinker and doesn't pass the five to fifteen minute test, it's out of the player and back to the store.

I have a hard time watching regular DVD's - - even though they are upscaled via my Bluray player and receiver. The Bluray disc quality - - ESPECIALLY on our Sammy sets is unbelievable. A 65" screen in my man cave with full theater sound (9.1 - Yamaha) with this 3D technology is unreal. It's really brought me and my girlfriend a lot of enjoyment - - especially Saturday night - - 3D night. And the drinks and popcorn are a lot cheaper, too!
post #6749 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtm73 View Post

I find it harder to believe that your powers of perception are greater than the other contributors to this thread who just happen to own 8000s. There are signs of them addressing this issue... just read back through this thread, if you are interested, and you will note many contributors far more experienced than me saying that they have noticed an improved auto dimming.
Garnoch put it best when he said that although it seemed to be pointing in the direction that the 8000 has a softer feeling auto dim that he just didn't want to believe it because he has a 7500 (paraphrasing as best I can, apologise if I am putting the wrong words in your mouth, Garnoch).

It has really never been much of an issue for myself. I did notice it a bit in the beginning, but none really since the last update.
post #6750 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Op's Guy View Post

It has really never been much of an issue for myself. I did notice it a bit in the beginning, but none really since the last update.

I wonder if that is because you have an ES8000 or because Eagle is just more perceptive than you?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread