or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 246

post #7351 of 16126
I finally got my set calibrated professionally, here's my settings:

Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 10
Contrast: 88
Brightness: 51
Sharpness: 11
Color: 49
Tint: G50/R50
Screen Adjustment: Screen Fit

Advanced Settings
Dynamic contrast Off
Black Tone Off
Flesh tone 0
RGB mode off
Color Space Native

White Balance
R-Offset: 23
G-Offset: 24
B-Offset: 23
R-Gain: 26
G-Gain: 29
B-Gain: 15
10p white balance off
Gamma: 0
Expert pattern off
xvYCC off
Motion lighting off
Black enhancer off

Picture Options
Color tone Warm 2
Digital Noise Filter Auto
MPEG Noise Filter Auto
Auto Motion Plus Standard
LED motion plus Off
post #7352 of 16126
Thanks for your expendant reply, I will try your suggestions. I have the latest firmware I believe, 1041.1 I think......Thanks again for your kind help. I will let you know if it helps.
post #7353 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

OFF for sports? Interesting. Thanks, I'll check that out myself, I'm curious.

Yes, I found this a couple of months back, always had it set to clear and only noticed blur on the golf (Sky HD source) I spent a lot of time pausing and rewinding the same scenes with all the motion settings and Off was the only one which had zero blur
post #7354 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by arenaman View Post

Switch your motion processing off, set to clear and I can see the flight of a golf ball blurring, switch it off and it's perfect.
post #7355 of 16126
Thanks arenaman I will check it out! I will let you know what the picture does.
post #7356 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDragoon View Post

I finally got my set calibrated professionally, here's my settings:
Pf

Thanks for your post, which panel do you have? TS01 or HS01?
post #7357 of 16126
So I'm still trying to figure out which Samsung to get , I spent a couple of hours at BB yesterday and ended up walking out with just a new harmony remote ! The magnolia guy was nice enough , but he is a plasma guy and wanted to talk about the Panasonic Viera .
Any I trying to figure out what the difference is on the UN60ES8000FXZA , UN60ES7100FXZA , UN60ES7150FXZA , or UN60ES7500FXZA . Looking at Samsung's web site the best I can tell is Dynamic Contrast Ratio , Clear Motion Rate and the 8000 has
Dynamic Noise Filter . Anything else you guys could point out that would justify the higher price tag for the 8000 or 7150 ?


Thanks
Harvey
post #7358 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

I'm pretty sure that's just them taking a picture of your junk. No need to worry.

ROTFL
Seriously, though, does the camera function as the ECO sensor? If not, it'd be easy enough to just cover it .
post #7359 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDragoon View Post

I finally got my set calibrated professionally, here's my settings:
Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 10
Contrast: 88
Brightness: 51
Sharpness: 11
Color: 49
Tint: G50/R50
Screen Adjustment: Screen Fit
Advanced Settings
Dynamic contrast Off
Black Tone Off
Flesh tone 0
RGB mode off
Color Space Native
White Balance
R-Offset: 23
G-Offset: 24
B-Offset: 23
R-Gain: 26
G-Gain: 29
B-Gain: 15
10p white balance off
Gamma: 0
Expert pattern off
xvYCC off
Motion lighting off
Black enhancer off
Picture Options
Color tone Warm 2
Digital Noise Filter Auto
MPEG Noise Filter Auto
Auto Motion Plus Standard
LED motion plus Off

Thanks for the post and congrats. All panels are different and if it looks good, then that's all that matters, so please don't take this the wrong way. I'm just curious if you posted the right settings for a few reasons. One, a professional should have done the Cal-Day and Cal-Night modes instead of Movie mode, although Movie mode in addition would have been nice. Two, if he did do Movie mode, he should have set the 10p settings, plus a Brightness of 51 seems like it might wash the picture out, and your blacks may suffer in a darkened room. So my question is, are you sure he didn't actually calibrate Cal-Day and Cal-Night for you but you posted Movie mode instead? If this isn't the case, be careful. There have been firmware updates that will reset everything to factory settings - except Cal-Day and Cal-Night. Thanks, man.
Edited by Garnoch - 12/4/12 at 4:36pm
post #7360 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by arenaman View Post

Yes, I found this a couple of months back, always had it set to clear and only noticed blur on the golf (Sky HD source) I spent a lot of time pausing and rewinding the same scenes with all the motion settings and Off was the only one which had zero blur

I haven't even bothered with it off for sports, although I do like off sometimes. That seems backwards but cool info and I'll try that out. Thanks again for that, man.
post #7361 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

ROTFL
Seriously, though, does the camera function as the ECO sensor? If not, it'd be easy enough to just cover it .

Hmmm I don't know, but being it can just be rolled up and away, I assumed not. Even so, they can still hear the "pillow talk". I was going to say grunts and moans, but that would have been rude.
post #7362 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

ROTFL
Seriously, though, does the camera function as the ECO sensor? If not, it'd be easy enough to just cover it .

YES THE CAMERA WORKS WITH THE ECO SENSOR, I THINK.
post #7363 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

Hmmm I don't know, but being it can just be rolled up and away, I assumed not. Even so, they can still hear the "pillow talk". I was going to say grunts and moans, but that would have been rude.
The camera on the 65" is integral to the frame. In a dark room I shined a flashlight on the camera for awhile and it had no effect on the pic I could see.
post #7364 of 16126
ECO sensor is separate. The ES7100 has the ECO option (as well as other models) and does not have a camera.
post #7365 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Interesting that it seems you've decided to sell the B prior to making critical evaluation of the E? I gather the B is somewhat of a holy grail set, being back lit + local dimming whereas the E is edge lit. Any comment here on relative quality differences?
Agreed. Why did he downgrade is the real question. Newer does not mean better.
post #7366 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDragoon View Post

I finally got my set calibrated professionally, here's my settings:
Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 10
Contrast: 88
Brightness: 51
Sharpness: 11
Color: 49
Tint: G50/R50
Screen Adjustment: Screen Fit
Advanced Settings
Dynamic contrast Off
Black Tone Off
Flesh tone 0
RGB mode off
Color Space Native
White Balance
R-Offset: 23
G-Offset: 24
B-Offset: 23
R-Gain: 26
G-Gain: 29
B-Gain: 15
10p white balance off
Gamma: 0
Expert pattern off
xvYCC off
Motion lighting off
Black enhancer off
Picture Options
Color tone Warm 2
Digital Noise Filter Auto
MPEG Noise Filter Auto
Auto Motion Plus Standard
LED motion plus Off
I agree with Garnoch that this looks a bit strange.
Color Space Native means that the gamut of the colors were not calibrated. If it was calibrated , then setting would be Custom, instead of Native. Brightness 51 looks too high. Generally, a setting of 45 or 46 would give lowest blacks.
Was this really calibrated, or were other picture modes calibrated?
post #7367 of 16126
Hello all,

I'm just recently started with a basic calibration on my set. I've seen some tutorials and basic ideas and now I'm curious on what you all think. I assume that all the people that have used the AVS calibration files know this video tutorial:

http://revision3.com/hdnation/hdcalibration
http://revision3.com/hdnation/calibratepart2
http://revision3.com/hdnation/calibrationpart3
http://revision3.com/hdnation/calibrationpart4

I'ts a nice introduction but I'm questioning some certain aspects. To be exact:

1. Gamma

2. Color tone

First of all the gamma setting. The introduction explains brightness and contrast very well, but it does not mention the gamma setting all. To what value should this be set during the calibration? I assume it should be set to 0. I also noticed on first impression that 0 is the best way to go anyway. -1 seems to procure a lack of detail, the picture is just to dark. And next to that, what exactly is the gamma setting anyway? Is this just a dynamic setting or more than that ?

As second also color tone confused me. I've seen many people in this thread that were concerned with the high amount of red push this set has. What I discovered however is that by changing the color tone from the level of warm2, what most calibrations suggests, to standard, the red push is resolved completely. So what to set here? I still have to run the calibration on color tone myself but I have seen certain people that were convinced that warm2 looked awful anyway.

I hope someone can make this points clear. Thanks in advance,
Edited by Stefanhvt - 12/4/12 at 6:47pm
post #7368 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman123 View Post

I agree with Garnoch that this looks a bit strange.
Color Space Native means that the gamut of the colors were not calibrated. If it was calibrated , then setting would be Custom, instead of Native. Brightness 51 looks too high. Generally, a setting of 45 or 46 would give lowest blacks.
Was this really calibrated, or were other picture modes calibrated?

Can't believe I missed Color Space.
post #7369 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtm73 View Post

Much like your incessant whining adds nothing to the conversation. All for the airing of technical concerns...tired of the "Woe is me" drama you propogate and I am hoping against hope that by openly discussing it with you that we can retain your technical input wihout your simpering.
I am assuming your first question was simply rhetorical in an effort to push our your view on my drama creation. In response to your second question I am neither in love with Samsung nor on their paycheck.

And...blocked. Seriously, you are the first person I have ever felt the need to block on a forum, and I've seen a lot of drama in forums over the years. You've even insulted me in pm's previously. Everyone else had been very helpful and courteous with each other. Ever since you first started posting you've had issues with me and other members. At least now I no longer need to read your argumentative posts.
post #7370 of 16126
Does anyone place a center channel speaker right in front of the tv? If so what kind. TV stand we just purchased does not have a place for a "center" speaker. Will be off to left or right.

Thanks all
post #7371 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagz View Post

Does anyone place a center channel speaker right in front of the tv? If so what kind. TV stand we just purchased does not have a place for a "center" speaker. Will be off to left or right.
Thanks all

Mine is on the tv stand, directly behind the screen. It's the only place I could put it in my small apartment. That means the center channel isn't really in the center of the room, but there's nothing I can do about that with the way things are set up here. I don't mind it though - the dialog comes from behind the screen so it seems natural to me.
post #7372 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagz View Post

Does anyone place a center channel speaker right in front of the tv? If so what kind. TV stand we just purchased does not have a place for a "center" speaker. Will be off to left or right.
Thanks all

Only a thought here - I've seen an installation where the center channel was placed on a shelf immediately above the display (but otherwise centered). Second choice would be behind it. Your "center" channel is so named because centered is where it's supposed to be. Only you can be the ultimate judge of the effect of offsetting it to one side or the other. In a rear (behind the display) location, try also pointing the speaker backwards, i.e., directing the sound towards the wall. (using the wall as a passive reflector).
post #7373 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

And...blocked. Seriously, you are the first person I have ever felt the need to block on a forum, and I've seen a lot of drama in forums over the years. You've even insulted me in pm's previously. Everyone else had been very helpful and courteous with each other. Ever since you first started posting you've had issues with me and other members. At least now I no longer need to read your argumentative posts.

For clarity sake such that you won't continue to propagate falsehoods at my expense...At no point have I had an issue with you or any other people. I have simply taken issue with the content of some of your posts over time, much as I have taken issue with the content of previous posts from others for various reasons. As you likely haven't managed to divine discussing quests against Samsung in general and whining about bout the man ripping you off fall into the same useless category.

Looking forward to getting back to basics...
Edited by gtm73 - 12/4/12 at 9:24pm
post #7374 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Gosselin View Post

I'm quite contant with my set at the moment but if you find a sceen in dark knight that produces the issue for you, i'll give it a look to see if it's on mine aswell.

Well after a few hours of watching some content that used to produce the harsh dimming effect (Dark Knight from Blu Ray and Boardwalk Empire from the cable box) I haven't yet managed to identify any sections for you to go look at. It simply isn't happening here.

Perhaps next time you notice it on a movie you are watching you could shoot out a note with the movie and the scene and I'll check it out.
Edited by gtm73 - 12/4/12 at 9:25pm
post #7375 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

The camera on the 65" is integral to the frame. In a dark room I shined a flashlight on the camera for awhile and it had no effect on the pic I could see.

The 65" has a lens cover you can flip to off. it's either on, or flipped to off. Mine has never been on.
post #7376 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Op's Guy View Post

The 65" has a lens cover you can flip to off. it's either on, or flipped to off. Mine has never been on.

And that's why you're not beating female Samsung employees off you with a stick.
post #7377 of 16126
Ha!!! Nice!
post #7378 of 16126
Note to self: when all else fails, RTFM!biggrin.gif

You should check to see whether there is a sticker attached to the rear of the TV Camera. In order to adjust the TV Camera angle, you must first remove the sticker.for LED 7500 – 8000 Series and PDP 8000 series.
When you are finished using and don't want to use the TV Camera anymore, we recommend rotating the TV Camera lens and tucking it into the bezel of the TV. for LED 7500 – 8000Series and PDP 8000 series
This will prevent any inadvertent and unintentional TV Camera functionalities and Face Recognition and Motion Control will
not be functional.

Sticker removed, camera rotated.smile.gif

And there's this amusing tidbit a team of lawyers labored on no doubt for months:

Before using the TV Camera, you should be aware that under some circumstances and under certain legal conditions your use/misuse of the TV Camera can result in legal liability for you, and that you may be subject to the obligations of local privacy laws regarding protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and possible other laws (including criminal laws) regulating camera surveillance both in the workplace and elsewhere. By using the TV Camera, you agree that you will not use the camera (i) in locations where cameras are generally prohibited (such as bathrooms, locker rooms or changing
rooms), (ii) in any manner that will result in an invasion of a person’s privacy or (iii) in violation of any applicable laws, regulations or statutes.
post #7379 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Note to self: when all else fails, RTFM!biggrin.gif
You should check to see whether there is a sticker attached to the rear of the TV Camera. In order to adjust the TV Camera angle, you must first remove the sticker.for LED 7500 – 8000 Series and PDP 8000 series.
When you are finished using and don't want to use the TV Camera anymore, we recommend rotating the TV Camera lens and tucking it into the bezel of the TV. for LED 7500 – 8000Series and PDP 8000 series
This will prevent any inadvertent and unintentional TV Camera functionalities and Face Recognition and Motion Control will
not be functional.
Sticker removed, camera rotated.smile.gif
And there's this amusing tidbit a team of lawyers labored on no doubt for months:
Before using the TV Camera, you should be aware that under some circumstances and under certain legal conditions your use/misuse of the TV Camera can result in legal liability for you, and that you may be subject to the obligations of local privacy laws regarding protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and possible other laws (including criminal laws) regulating camera surveillance both in the workplace and elsewhere. By using the TV Camera, you agree that you will not use the camera (i) in locations where cameras are generally prohibited (such as bathrooms, locker rooms or changing
rooms), (ii) in any manner that will result in an invasion of a person’s privacy or (iii) in violation of any applicable laws, regulations or statutes.

Damn so now I have to move my TV out of the locker room and back to the living room of my house? What a pain.
post #7380 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post

Hi,
I am thinking of getting the 60" ES8000.. Any advice or regrets with the 60" panel.. My concerns are; flash-lighting in the letterbox bars, banding, clouding, and i would also like to know how dark the letterbox bars are during movie watching and if the adobe flash browser plays flash movies play smooth.

I have no regrets at all. Love it. I'm not sure I've heard of a 60" here with banding , but I doubt you'll be able to get away with not having a little flashlighting or clouding. Depending on your settings though, it can be a non-issue. My letterbox bars are very dark, sometimes impossible to see or visible on if I look directly at them. It was my understanding that the TV does not play Flash. Good luck!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread