or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 253

post #7561 of 16125
ha2unamu.jpg

frown.gif
post #7562 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagz View Post

ha2unamu.jpg
frown.gif

Very, very sad.

I truly wanted a 65ES8000. I even tried to talk myself into even after reading this entire thread. Very, very sad. I will be purchasing another manufacturer's


m
post #7563 of 16125
Pisser is. Wife don't care. I'm the guy that notices a spec of dust on screen.

Pretty sad you spend 3k and you have a camera that is pulled from bezel and lighting like that. Other than that I love this tv.

What to do.....
post #7564 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagz View Post

Pisser is. Wife don't care. I'm the guy that notices a spec of dust on screen.
Pretty sad you spend 3k and you have a camera that is pulled from bezel and lighting like that. Other than that I love this tv.
What to do.....

I have owned a 55B8000 for a few years now. The PQ is fantastic. Edge lighting like yours but it never really bugged me because of the PQ.

I want to go bigger this time and this time get a TV without all the blooming, flash lighting, etc., etc.
post #7565 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

Alrighty, I spent 11pm to 3am last night setting up the 616. First, so far I am VERY happy with my purchase, especially since I snagged it for only $300 refurbished....

Sound. As some of you know, and I know I've mentioned it before though I don't talk about it, I'm a sound designer and re-recording mixer in NYC. My home system is pretty low end though when all is said and done. I have the Onkyo and a 10 year old set of Cambridge Soundworks satellites though I do have a nice sub and will be upgrading the speakers to Polk satellites in a few months. I could spend a fortune and still not hear what I hear all day, so there isn't much point, plus it gives me a better idea of what most people will hear by having smaller speakers, stereo or surround... I did the Audyssey 2EQ calibration ...

The expert sound guy with the funky little HT sound system-that's funny, man. Glad it's sounding so much better-and that you're planning further speaker upgrades. wink.gif I very much appreciate your contributions here and in no way mean any disrespect by the follwing info, intended for folks shopping for an AVR.

I'm a guy who's WAY into the SQ of my combined stereo/surround/HT sound system. But it's in my fam rm, so acoustic treatments to improve the SQ aren't practical. So I really value what Audyssey does for SQ and have learned quite a bit about it in the process of owning several AVRs including all versions of Audyssey except 2EQ. 2EQ is the weakest version, and is not capable of EQing the sub channel. As the low freqs are most critical to EQ in residential-size rooms, I generally encourage folks with a sub to look p to an AVR with MultEQ.

There are several quite inexpensive Denon AVRs with MultEQ; This post discusses several good choices in curent Denon models. AFAIK the 1613 and 1713 (even better Audyssey MulteqXT) are available new with OEM warranty from authorized online resellers in the $300-$400 range. Last years models if still available would be even less.
post #7566 of 16125
i just got this 60" tv for less than 3 weeks and experiencing a quick 1 second flashing/blinking of the smart tv menu screen. this happened like 2-3 per week. i wonder if this could have other negative impact on the tv. has this issue been discussed?
post #7567 of 16125
What's a good Soundbar for this TV? Thx.
Sent from THE GODFATHER (Samsung Galaxy Note II)
post #7568 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

The expert sound guy with the funky little HT sound system-that's funny, man. Glad it's sounding so much better-and that you're planning further speaker upgrades. wink.gif I very much appreciate your contributions here and in no way mean any disrespect by the follwing info, intended for folks shopping for an AVR.
I'm a guy who's WAY into the SQ of my combined stereo/surround/HT sound system. But it's in my fam rm, so acoustic treatments to improve the SQ aren't practical. So I really value what Audyssey does for SQ and have learned quite a bit about it in the process of owning several AVRs including all versions of Audyssey except 2EQ. 2EQ is the weakest version, and is not capable of EQing the sub channel. As the low freqs are most critical to EQ in residential-size rooms, I generally encourage folks with a sub to look p to an AVR with MultEQ.
There are several quite inexpensive Denon AVRs with MultEQ; This post discusses several good choices in curent Denon models. AFAIK the 1613 and 1713 (even better Audyssey MulteqXT) are available new with OEM warranty from authorized online resellers in the $300-$400 range. Last years models if still available would be even less.

Ha, no offense taken. It's a joke with many of us in sound. I have yet to meet someone in my field with a killer system. Even the music mixers I've known, maybe 10% of them had a good system at home. It's a joke. Someday when I'm in my next and possibly final home before I'm in a retirement village, I'll be building a great system. For now it's not practical for may reasons. My cars on the other hand... sound quality is a big part of my purchase decision and before that I would have custom systems put in. smile.gif

Everything you said is 100% correct too. 2EQ is the weakest and I almost went with an 818 which isn't that expensive for MultEQ and some nice video processing, but it just didn't make sense for my house at the moment.
post #7569 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nguyen View Post

i just got this 60" tv for less than 3 weeks and experiencing a quick 1 second flashing/blinking of the smart tv menu screen. this happened like 2-3 per week. i wonder if this could have other negative impact on the tv. has this issue been discussed?
Yeah a few pages ago this was discussed. I can't remember now if it's a bug with the latest firmware or what but it's not the norm. Maybe let Samsung know. I would expect to be fixed fairly soon as there are many people experiencing this all of a sudden.
Edited by Garnoch - 12/8/12 at 5:19pm
post #7570 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

I watched a rather darkly-lit film last night (Silent Night - it wasn't very good, a re-make of sorts of the original Silent Night, Deadly Night). I had a light on in my room during the whole film - my normal background light isn't working for some reason so I had a dim room lamp on. Even with my light on, I could not help but see that V-shaped cloud during virtually the entire film, since the film took place mostly at night. This was in standard, with the CE-dimming workaround, and a brightness of 8, with the black tone on low and dynamic contrast on low. I just couldn't ignore that clouding since it was noticeable the whole time.
What a shame. When I'm watching brightly-lit scenes, the screen really does look fantastic, but dark movies just make me sad on this set thanks to the panel flaws that Samsung will not cover under their warranty, even after telling me repeatedly it is covered. The horizontal dark bands in 3D mode are also really aggravating me. Who was it way back in this thread that said Samsung will definitely make sure that in the end you will be happy with your set one way or the other? That didn't turn out that way for me.

For anyone following this thread for input on whether or not to buy this set, but not willing to wade through every page, it is important to note that E2s problems and inability to resolve them with Samsung are as a result of his approach to life and not reflective of the broader experience here. Anyone interested pop over to the AVS plasma threads and check out his commentary there for better context on how he approaches TV.
post #7571 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post

Very, very sad.
I truly wanted a 65ES8000. I even tried to talk myself into even after reading this entire thread. Very, very sad. I will be purchasing another manufacturer's

m

The good news is that after maybe 3 weeks I did notice an improvement on the clouding a flashlight, maybe half. Plus for a room that dark, it looks like your backlight may be too high. I'm kind of assuming you're in Movie mode too looking at that. With the correct tweaks, that will diminish greatly. In Standard mode, it will diminish even more. If you watch in lighting like that at night but in a brighter environment during the day. Take advantage of Eco mode. Set your backlight during the day, then at night, find what back light works best. Rest your backlight for the daytime number and set Eco to the nighttime number. Then just let the TV do the rest. Good luck.
post #7572 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

Yeah a few pages ago this was discussed. I can't remember now if it's a bug with the latest firmware or what but it's not the norm. Maybe let Samsung know.

Hey. I'm getting the same thing --a quick flash of the hub and then it goes away. I thought it might be Garnoch peeking in with his camera.

E2 - I also got the quick update in the right top of my screen so it looks like they're watching me too!

Wait a minute. I think I just heard a noise upstairs! Better check it out.
post #7573 of 16125
Ha, hope you got a good show last night. I figured it was only fair to check in on you. smile.gif
post #7574 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

Congrats! Which size? Is it true that although you joined in 2009, it took this TV to make your first post? It's that good, right? smile.gif
To answer your question is basically impossible. All panels will be a little different and on top of that we all may want to see things differently. I can point you towards the Disney WOW Blu-ray. If you'd like to try the AVS files that can be found here, CNETs Movie setting, my Movie settings, or one of my two Standard settings, links to all those can be found by clicking on my name. Otherwise there are several people that have also posted their settings through these 252 pages. Good luck!

I picked up the 60" es8000 for $2349.99 and the $200 gift card bonus. I don't think I've ever seen somebody get that kinda price!! Thanks for the help and suggestions with the TV calibration settings. On a side note, I see you're into classic mustangs. I just bought a '65 Coupe this past summer. Pony's all the way!
post #7575 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post

Very, very sad.
I truly wanted a 65ES8000. I even tried to talk myself into even after reading this entire thread. Very, very sad. I will be purchasing another manufacturer's

m
What is your backlight and brightness at?
I know mine was bad but settled after a few weeks but this looks more like blown settings.
post #7576 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Hey. I'm getting the same thing --a quick flash of the hub and then it goes away. I thought it might be Garnoch peeking in with his camera.
E2 - I also got the quick update in the right top of my screen so it looks like they're watching me too!
Wait a minute. I think I just heard something upstairs, better go check it out

Lmao!
post #7577 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJPicardo View Post

I picked up the 60" es8000 for $2349.99 and the $200 gift card bonus. I don't think I've ever seen somebody get that kinda price!! Thanks for the help and suggestions with the TV calibration settings. On a side note, I see you're into classic mustangs. I just bought a '65 Coupe this past summer. Pony's all the way!

You're welcome. I'm working on a Wiki. NICE car, man!!!!
post #7578 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Gosselin View Post

What is your backlight and brightness at?
I know mine was bad but settled after a few weeks but this looks more like blown settings.

Yeah it does. Combine that with some of the settling after a couple weeks and I would assume it won't be a bother. Also, he could look up screen massaging. It does surprisingly help, but you have to be gentle and careful.
post #7579 of 16125
Hey all was hoping someone here might be able to help me out a bit.

I'm trying to understand this visual anomaly with The Avengers blue-ray that I can't figure out. When I watch all my other movies be it DvD blue-ray or stream from PS3 media server they all look good. However The Avengers has this grayish (really noticable on blacks) has across it. Its almost like the brightness on the set would be set way to high. In order to make it look somewhat normal I have to set HDMI black level to low.

Have others seen this same behavior? Its kind of puzzling cause I have the rest of my settings pretty much based of the stuff people have posted here but this one movie just looks really odd.

Thanks in advanced for any help!
post #7580 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagz View Post

ha2unamu.jpg
frown.gif

Very, very sad.

I truly wanted a 65ES8000. I even tried to talk myself into even after reading this entire thread. Very, very sad. I will be purchasing another manufacturer's


m

What are you looking into?

My backlight is at 16 in movie mode. Used settings from calman in his thread. Not sure of link cause I just printed settings.

It me it hurts to spend that kind of $$ for a tv with these flaws. If I spend 1/2 the price I'd still take back, lol but it would be expected to not be top of the line.
post #7581 of 16125
16 with a bright room is great for movie mode, but at night in a dim room, I'm at 4 in Movie mode, with Black Tone on it's lowest setting, which some people can take or leave. i don't remember calman's settings though.
Edited by Garnoch - 12/8/12 at 7:15pm
post #7582 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagz View Post

What are you looking into?
My backlight is at 16 in movie mode. Used settings from calman in his thread. Not sure of link cause I just printed settings.
It me it hurts to spend that kind of $$ for a tv with these flaws. If I spend 1/2 the price I'd still take back, lol but it would be expected to not be top of the line.

jeezz that is super high... Backlight to 5 max in dark room conditions and 9 or higher in high light. In dark room mine is set between 3 and 5
post #7583 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagz View Post

What are you looking into?
My backlight is at 16 in movie mode. Used settings from calman in his thread. Not sure of link cause I just printed settings.
It me it hurts to spend that kind of $$ for a tv with these flaws. If I spend 1/2 the price I'd still take back, lol but it would be expected to not be top of the line.

First I wanted the 65ES8000 in a very big way---too many problems. Then Sony's 65HX950--also problems
Then I thought plasma, even though I love the look of the 3d-like, sharp picture of the LEDs. So, I looked at Samsung 65E8000--problems.
Then a day or so ago, I looked at the Panasonic 65VT50--nice PQ, great blacks BUT too film-like for me. Once again, I like a sharp picture.

I started looking the Sharp Elite 60-- great PQ, fantastic blacks, very sharp PQ. I decided it might be OK to drop down to a 60" from what I wanted, a 65". So, the Elite it is until my wife stepped up and said to get the 70". That is what I will be ordering, the Sharp Elite 70"




m
post #7584 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post

Very, very sad.
I truly wanted a 65ES8000. I even tried to talk myself into even after reading this entire thread. Very, very sad. I will be purchasing another manufacturer's

m

Good luck with whatever you end up with.
post #7585 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagz View Post

ha2unamu.jpg
frown.gif

Very sorry.

I noticed that area of clouding near the bottom of the panel, in the center, that creates almost the letter "V". That is exactly what I have, and Samsung told me they will ot cover this under warranty, as it is considered "within spec". So that's what passes for quality form Samsung. That is exactly how my set looks with the V-shaped clouding. I don't have corner flashlighting nearly that bad unless I crank up the backlight really high, but even on a backlight setting of 8 or under, my V-shaped cloud looks exactly like that, and it is just as noticeable when watching most dark scenes.

I believe now that this is a flaw with multiple size panels, as mine is a 46" ES7500 panel purchased a few months ago. If this same exact shape of clouding - the 2 longer clouds that form the "V" - are on different sizes and models, then there must be some sort of design flaw that maybe presses up behind the screen possibly, creating that area of clouding. Just a hypothesis, as I'm no designed or technician - all I know is what are the chances that many different people would have that same pattern of clouding at the same exact spot on the tv? If I didn't know better I would guess that was my panel judging simply by that V on the panel. I hope you have the option of a refund or exchange. I was denied a return, and Samsung told me to get lost basically when I had a tech look at my set. How can a tech not think that is unacceptable? By the way, I know some people say that their clouding has improved over time - mine has not at all, it is every bit as bad as it was out of the box the first day, and my set is a few months old now and has gotten a fair amount of use by now.

And the worst part for me was - I asked very nicely if Samsung would send over another tech just to re-evaluate the set and take a second look, and office of the president simply denied my request coldly.

So I feel your pain. It's disappointing to have a set end up looking like that when you were so hopeful.
Edited by eagle_2 - 12/8/12 at 10:23pm
post #7586 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nguyen View Post

i just got this 60" tv for less than 3 weeks and experiencing a quick 1 second flashing/blinking of the smart tv menu screen. this happened like 2-3 per week. i wonder if this could have other negative impact on the tv. has this issue been discussed?

It started recently with a firmware update that must have created this bug. I get it every time I turn on the tv, within 2 minutes of starting it up. It's been mentioned by several readers, and a youtube video has been posted of the issue. Hopefully Samsung corrects this - of course even if they do they won't tell us, so we'll just have to see if it stops happening at some point. Calling them would do nothing.
post #7587 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post

First I wanted the 65ES8000 in a very big way---too many problems. Then Sony's 65HX950--also problems
Then I thought plasma, even though I love the look of the 3d-like, sharp picture of the LEDs. So, I looked at Samsung 65E8000--problems.
Then a day or so ago, I looked at the Panasonic 65VT50--nice PQ, great blacks BUT too film-like for me. Once again, I like a sharp picture.
I started looking the Sharp Elite 60-- great PQ, fantastic blacks, very sharp PQ. I decided it might be OK to drop down to a 60" from what I wanted, a 65". So, the Elite it is until my wife stepped up and said to get the 70". That is what I will be ordering, the Sharp Elite 70"

Let's us know how it works out. It looks like a great set! A little pricey for me. I love the look. Even though the Sammy is sleek looking, I'm more of a traditionalist and prefer a solid black bezel and stand. Nothing to interfere with the picture.

I must be lucky since my 65" panel has none of the flashlighting, clouding or 3D problems.

I also am in Standard Mode with backlight at 12 in my mancave with no Eco used.

Garnoch - five or six seems pretty low to me. I know all TV's are not the same and I am now running my set thru a Pioneer SC-65. Soon to ne attaching the Darbee Darblet.







m
post #7588 of 16125
Personally, I find a backlight setting of 8 to be as low as I would want to go in standard, with the workaround enabled. I'd like to bump it up a bit higher but every notch higher just makes that clouding that much worse.
post #7589 of 16125
I am sorry if this has been asked before. I took delivery of my un65es8000 this week, I ordered online and got an ok deal. It has a 3/4 inch black frame/border between the silver surround and the screen. All pictures I see online has the screen going all the way up to the silver frame. I got a 60" 8000 model last year and that one had no black border. Is this normal?

Again, I apologize if asked before, I did some searching.
post #7590 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post

First I wanted the 65ES8000 in a very big way---too many problems. Then Sony's 65HX950--also problems
Then I thought plasma, even though I love the look of the 3d-like, sharp picture of the LEDs. So, I looked at Samsung 65E8000--problems.
Then a day or so ago, I looked at the Panasonic 65VT50--nice PQ, great blacks BUT too film-like for me. Once again, I like a sharp picture.
I started looking the Sharp Elite 60-- great PQ, fantastic blacks, very sharp PQ. I decided it might be OK to drop down to a 60" from what I wanted, a 65". So, the Elite it is until my wife stepped up and said to get the 70". That is what I will be ordering, the Sharp Elite 70"

m

Sharp Elite and generally Quattron's are known for inaccurate colours. Refer to the TVshootout earlier this year.
You can live with it if you don't know. Oops, too late.
OK if you do not intent to calibrate. Otherwise you will get a surprise.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread