or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 293

post #8761 of 16125
I agree. Tried that.....same result unfortunately.
post #8762 of 16125
...and the VT50 sucks, worst tv ever made. All other plasma suxxxx. :-D The es8000 is the choice of the almighty above. Ha ha ha....Happy Holidays!!!
post #8763 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

...and the VT50 sucks, worst tv ever made. All other plasma suxxxx. :-D The es8000 is the choice of the almighty above. Ha ha ha....Happy Holidays!!!

Too Funny...biggrin.gif Happy Holidays..L.O.L.
post #8764 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

...and the VT50 sucks, worst tv ever made. All other plasma suxxxx. :-D The es8000 is the choice of the almighty above. Ha ha ha....Happy Holidays!!!


Thats why I own both tvs. My es8000 has no flashlighting or clouding either!

Happy holidays to you to blade!
post #8765 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

...and the VT50 sucks, worst tv ever made. All other plasma suxxxx. :-D The es8000 is the choice of the almighty above. Ha ha ha....Happy Holidays!!!
Man, the fanboys around here smile.gif
post #8766 of 16125
Update: It has become unstable on all sources, including PVR.
Bummer......
post #8767 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by prbear8 View Post

Hello All,
I just received my my UN65ES8000 which has a build date of Nov, 2012. The panel version is MH02. Is this a good panel? Does anyone know who makes the panel? So far I am very happy with the picture and the black levels are awesome. There is also almost no clouding and flash lighting that I can see when watching TV.
Thanks,
Dave

I went into the service menu and it seems this panel is AMVA by AUO. Not sure if it's AMVA 3 or 5. The actual panel type is: 65L2UF1E. I am very happy to report I have zero clouding or flash lighting. The was some banding when I first got the TV it has faded significantly. Maybe it's an adhesive that's curing over time?

Happy Holidays Everyone.

Dave
post #8768 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPWingN View Post

I forgot to add....I don't know if this is just coincidence, but I hadnt done the most recent update until yesterday morning, without a reset.

Do you suspect if you didn't update that you wouldn't have had problems?

Also, I seem to remember some of these types of electronics have a hard reset method that involves having it unplugged for some long 1hr plus period of time.
post #8769 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

Man, the fanboys around here smile.gif

I can't believe people in the ES8000 thread actually talk about the ES8000 - that is so weird!
post #8770 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7011jrs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

Man, the fanboys around here smile.gif

I can't believe people in the ES8000 thread actually talk about the ES8000 - that is so weird!
Lol!
post #8771 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7011jrs View Post

I can't believe people in the ES8000 thread actually talk about the ES8000 - that is so weird!

Not a fan boy here. I also own the 65LW6500 and the 65LM6200 from LG. The passive 3D is cool but the overall picture quality and clarity does not compare to ES8000. Once the 3D novelty wares off, the LG sets are disappointing and the black levels are so-so at best. Trumotion on the LG sets sucks big time!

Wife and kids get the LG TV's. The ES8000 is mine and makes a nice addition to my man cave. smile.gif
post #8772 of 16125
I can chime in here on the discussion in relation to the VT50 vs. the ES8000.

I still own a Kuro 60" LX608. It's still one of the best panels ever made and I compare everything I see in PQ back to the Kuro, always. And yes, I'm the person that replaced my VT50 with the ES8000.

The VT50 is a good panel without a doubt but my complaint with it, and reason for replacing it was two-fold. Firstly, the picture on it is, IMO somewhat "lifeless". It is almost always too dim for my liking. If I cranked up the brightness and contrast to inject some life into the picture I would then get the plasma "dithering" and noise. The THX modes are lousy, at least, on the Australian version of the VT50 (which I understand has it's light output crippled vs. the U.S. models for some crazy reason). They are way too dim and lifeless.. and it's not just the "plasma is dimmer and more accurate" argument.. my Kuro looks wonderful and it's a plasma, the VT50 looks dim and souless. The THX bright mode on the VT50 is useless.. it might up the light levels etc but it's contrast or gamma (couldn't tell which) was so high that it made some of my non-Bluray streaming content look like badly encoded You Tube videos.

My other big issue with the VT50 was the "plasma flicker". Yes, I'm sensitive to it (unlucky I guess) but let me tell you that if you have the slightest sensitivity to plasma flicker the VT50 won't be for you. I have run up 7,000 hours on my Kuro and the flicker never bothered me but I noticed it immediatley with the VT50 and almost constantly thereafter.

Which brings us to the ES8000. If I ignore the banding (which as you know from my previous post, I WON'T be) the PQ is friggin excellent. It's "punch" and the life in the picture is far superior to my eyes to the VT50's. In fact, it's very good against a direct comparison my to Kuro upstairs. Naturally, it doesn't achieve the same black levels as the Kuro but the overall PQ is full of life and shows none of the traditional LCD problems with motion, bluring etc. All the aweful artefacts I had with my VT50 are gone with the ES8000, even poor AVIs don't look too bad at all. Bluray on the ES8000 is sublime. I was watching episodes of Homeland on my VT50 on it's supposed "THX" setting with a bit of extra brightness and contrast and the dark scenes were terrible.. hard to make out any detail and made me feel like I was straining my eyes to make out the detail in all those dark scenes. I put the same episodes on my ES8000, MILES better.

I guess to summarise, even though I copped a panel with banding, I far prefer the ES8000 to the VT50. In fact, having now owned two good LCD sets I don't think I would ever buy a plasma again and the whole "true picture quality is better on a plasma" doesn't wash with me any more, Kuro and all.

1000
post #8773 of 16125
1000, Thx for that informative post. I was beginning to think that my eyesight was shot, given all the VT posts here.

I'm sure that the VT is a fine TV, for those looking for plasma related specifics. But, I'd love to see this thread back on course discussing the topic at hand (es8000).

There's really no need for posts such as 'I own both TVs, and the VT is better'. It really does get tiresome. VT aficionados should extol their device in the appropriate forum. Have a group Koombaya over there. Thx.
post #8774 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 View Post

I can chime in here on the discussion in relation to the VT50 vs. the ES8000.
I still own a Kuro 60" LX608. It's still one of the best panels ever made and I compare everything I see in PQ back to the Kuro, always. And yes, I'm the person that replaced my VT50 with the ES8000.
The VT50 is a good panel without a doubt but my complaint with it, and reason for replacing it was two-fold. Firstly, the picture on it is, IMO somewhat "lifeless". It is almost always too dim for my liking. If I cranked up the brightness and contrast to inject some life into the picture I would then get the plasma "dithering" and noise. The THX modes are lousy, at least, on the Australian version of the VT50 (which I understand has it's light output crippled vs. the U.S. models for some crazy reason). They are way too dim and lifeless.. and it's not just the "plasma is dimmer and more accurate" argument.. my Kuro looks wonderful and it's a plasma, the VT50 looks dim and souless. The THX bright mode on the VT50 is useless.. it might up the light levels etc but it's contrast or gamma (couldn't tell which) was so high that it made some of my non-Bluray streaming content look like badly encoded You Tube videos.
My other big issue with the VT50 was the "plasma flicker". Yes, I'm sensitive to it (unlucky I guess) but let me tell you that if you have the slightest sensitivity to plasma flicker the VT50 won't be for you. I have run up 7,000 hours on my Kuro and the flicker never bothered me but I noticed it immediatley with the VT50 and almost constantly thereafter.
Which brings us to the ES8000. If I ignore the banding (which as you know from my previous post, I WON'T be) the PQ is friggin excellent. It's "punch" and the life in the picture is far superior to my eyes to the VT50's. In fact, it's very good against a direct comparison my to Kuro upstairs. Naturally, it doesn't achieve the same black levels as the Kuro but the overall PQ is full of life and shows none of the traditional LCD problems with motion, bluring etc. All the aweful artefacts I had with my VT50 are gone with the ES8000, even poor AVIs don't look too bad at all. Bluray on the ES8000 is sublime. I was watching episodes of Homeland on my VT50 on it's supposed "THX" setting with a bit of extra brightness and contrast and the dark scenes were terrible.. hard to make out any detail and made me feel like I was straining my eyes to make out the detail in all those dark scenes. I put the same episodes on my ES8000, MILES better.
I guess to summarise, even though I copped a panel with banding, I far prefer the ES8000 to the VT50. In fact, having now owned two good LCD sets I don't think I would ever buy a plasma again and the whole "true picture quality is better on a plasma" doesn't wash with me any more, Kuro and all.
1000

Good read. It's nice to hear someone talk without any fanboy'ism littered throughout. I personally could care less if someone wants, buys or thinks Plasma is better. That's their decision to make and if that's what they believe then that's what they should get because they'll be happy with what they have. The same goes for myself and others in this thread that have made the decision that the 8000 is the better TV for us. It's really that simple. It was my decision to make on my own terms and for my own reasons. I don't follow blindly anyone and that includes the knowledgeable and professional calibrators and reviewers out there.
post #8775 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

Odd, you're not the first person to say those settings helped obscure banding. I'm just not sure why that would be the case.

You can still see them on an all-white screen, but at a "tolerable" level. I have a hunch they're less noticeable with ECO and subdued lighting in the room.
Interesting too that when I do see the banding it is in the exact same locations as others have shown in pics.

In any event, "the lady of the house" either hasn't noticed or hasn't mentioned them and IMO the display is otherwise magnificent.

As an aside, she does notice the soft focus of HD-Lite on our local ABC affiliate (per my .sig)
post #8776 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt989 View Post

Once the kids stop playing wii u on the es8000, i can finally calibrate it! Kids are taking over my toys!

Both the ES and the bottle of Chivas are mine smile.gif
post #8777 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 View Post

I can chime in here on the discussion in relation to the VT50 vs. the ES8000.
I still own a Kuro 60" LX608. It's still one of the best panels ever made and I compare everything I see in PQ back to the Kuro, always. And yes, I'm the person that replaced my VT50 with the ES8000.
The VT50 is a good panel without a doubt but my complaint with it, and reason for replacing it was two-fold. Firstly, the picture on it is, IMO somewhat "lifeless". It is almost always too dim for my liking. If I cranked up the brightness and contrast to inject some life into the picture I would then get the plasma "dithering" and noise. The THX modes are lousy, at least, on the Australian version of the VT50 (which I understand has it's light output crippled vs. the U.S. models for some crazy reason). They are way too dim and lifeless.. and it's not just the "plasma is dimmer and more accurate" argument.. my Kuro looks wonderful and it's a plasma, the VT50 looks dim and souless. The THX bright mode on the VT50 is useless.. it might up the light levels etc but it's contrast or gamma (couldn't tell which) was so high that it made some of my non-Bluray streaming content look like badly encoded You Tube videos.
My other big issue with the VT50 was the "plasma flicker". Yes, I'm sensitive to it (unlucky I guess) but let me tell you that if you have the slightest sensitivity to plasma flicker the VT50 won't be for you. I have run up 7,000 hours on my Kuro and the flicker never bothered me but I noticed it immediatley with the VT50 and almost constantly thereafter.
Which brings us to the ES8000. If I ignore the banding (which as you know from my previous post, I WON'T be) the PQ is friggin excellent. It's "punch" and the life in the picture is far superior to my eyes to the VT50's. In fact, it's very good against a direct comparison my to Kuro upstairs. Naturally, it doesn't achieve the same black levels as the Kuro but the overall PQ is full of life and shows none of the traditional LCD problems with motion, bluring etc. All the aweful artefacts I had with my VT50 are gone with the ES8000, even poor AVIs don't look too bad at all. Bluray on the ES8000 is sublime. I was watching episodes of Homeland on my VT50 on it's supposed "THX" setting with a bit of extra brightness and contrast and the dark scenes were terrible.. hard to make out any detail and made me feel like I was straining my eyes to make out the detail in all those dark scenes. I put the same episodes on my ES8000, MILES better.
I guess to summarise, even though I copped a panel with banding, I far prefer the ES8000 to the VT50. In fact, having now owned two good LCD sets I don't think I would ever buy a plasma again and the whole "true picture quality is better on a plasma" doesn't wash with me any more, Kuro and all.
1000

Good read. It's nice to hear someone talk without any fanboy'ism littered throughout. I personally could care less if someone wants, buys or thinks Plasma is better. That's their decision to make and if that's what they believe then that's what they should get because they'll be happy with what they have. The same goes for myself and others in this thread that have made the decision that the 8000 is the better TV for us. It's really that simple. It was my decision to make on my own terms and for my own reasons. I don't follow blindly anyone and that includes the knowledgeable and professional calibrators and reviewers out there.

Well put. My thoughts exactly.
post #8778 of 16125
Watched The Dark Knight Rises last night. Got it set to movie mode and made a few of my own very minor adjustments and the blacks were wonderful, I don't know why people complain about the blacks on this panel, and that was in a pitch black room too.
post #8779 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Do you suspect if you didn't update that you wouldn't have had problems?
Also, I seem to remember some of these types of electronics have a hard reset method that involves having it unplugged for some long 1hr plus period of time.

I don't know. It is probably coincidence, but......?
I'll do the long unplug and see what happens.
Thanks for the suggestion.
post #8780 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 View Post

Watched The Dark Knight Rises last night. Got it set to movie mode and made a few of my own very minor adjustments and the blacks were wonderful, I don't know why people complain about the blacks on this panel, and that was in a pitch black room too.

I was very surprised at how great the blacks are on this set in movie mode and have gotten the image quality dialed in almost identical to the VT50 it replaced, minus the buzzing, IR, dithering, etc.
post #8781 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

I was very surprised at how great the blacks are on this set in movie mode and have gotten the image quality dialed in almost identical to the VT50 it replaced, minus the buzzing, IR, dithering, etc.

I guess it works both ways, I don't have those issues with my VT50, but I read of a person who had a defective ES 8000 say how much better he likes his VT50.

Man I need to get out more, waisting time "defending" a tv...

Happy Holidays!
post #8782 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd68 View Post

I guess it works both ways, I don't have those issues with my VT50, but I read of a person who had a defective ES 8000 say how much better he likes his VT50.
Man I need to get out more, waisting time "defending" a tv...
Happy Holidays!

Lol good one.

Btw, 1000, i recently had a 9g kuro die on me (the best kuro there was) imo the vt50 is on par with it. Bit we all have our own opinions, right?
Edited by Bolt989 - 12/22/12 at 5:40pm
post #8783 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 View Post

Watched The Dark Knight Rises last night. Got it set to movie mode and made a few of my own very minor adjustments and the blacks were wonderful, I don't know why people complain about the blacks on this panel, and that was in a pitch black room too.

Why would you watch a tv in a pitch black room unless you were using a bias light? Even theaters use bias lighting.
post #8784 of 16125
That's right. We all look for different qualities in a panel. I like a natural picture, but one with some punch to it. Others like their PQ to look subdued, each to his own. I do like mine without banding though smile.gif
post #8785 of 16125
Ha! That was funny. I prefer a no-banding kind of look too.
post #8786 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPWingN View Post

I don't know. It is probably coincidence, but......?
I'll do the long unplug and see what happens.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Tried it. Negative on a fix though. The set came on, was fine for 3minutes, and then the madness began.
post #8787 of 16125
Did you end up getting one that was banding free ?
post #8788 of 16125
Not to get things even more off topic - but after my 55" D8000 started to look a little too small (2:35 aspect ratio in 3D anyone?) I started looking at 3D projectors

And with the problems the D8000 edge lit line was having, I decided then and there not to invest even more money on an even bigger tv when with a projector I can go up to 120" (or more) and only have to spend around $1500 (on the 3D 1080p projector I'm looking at)

So my dream setup: A 55" 3DTV for normal & gaming use, and a 3D 1080p projector for movies with around a 120" screen. All I need is the projector and I'm good to go and I won't have to frown when watching every 2:35 movie in 3Dluojie
Edited by avsforumsdsd - 12/23/12 at 4:04am
post #8789 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 View Post

Did you end up getting one that was banding free ?

The 65ES8000 that was delivered today was a Dec2012 build second generation Mexico panel and the banding is significantly less than either Nov2012 builds I sent back this past week.
post #8790 of 16125
When you say significantly less, can you see it during normal use ? Are you going to keep it ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread