or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 4

post #91 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit View Post

I dont own either. I work retail and sell these products. I sometimes forget to mention that. I like LEDs, i think their great for dynamic environments, but im a plasma guy at heart.

hey bro ,i say what every u like best stick with it ,what matters most is if u enjoy the product ,and that all,me i am a LCD and LED and i enjoy plasma i dont own one but i am sure maybe later on in my life i will try it out.change is good if u are up to it ,that's what i have learned aot in my life so far lol 21 years being alive and i think i come ok to the changes in my life.it's part of growing up.good luck and happy shopping in tec
post #92 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph10704 View Post


hey bro ,i say what every u like best stick with it ,what matters most is if u enjoy the product ,and that all,me i am a LCD and LED and i enjoy plasma i dont own one but i am sure maybe later on in my life i will try it out.change is good if u are up to it ,that's what i have learned aot in my life so far lol 21 years being alive and i think i come ok to the changes in my life.it's part of growing up.good luck and happy shopping in tec

Exactly. All that matters is that you are enjoying what you bought. Thanks man.
post #93 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit View Post

Exactly. All that matters is that you are enjoying what you bought. Thanks man.

hey bro anytime buddy ,it's always good to have the same person that agree's
post #94 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit View Post

Exactly. All that matters is that you are enjoying what you bought. Thanks man.

Not to be cold, but I really don't understand why we have to keep reminding ourselves this. If you truly enjoy what you bought, it really shouldn't matter to you when other people criticize it. Maybe we can start a separate thread for you guys to discuss your emotional relationships with your televisions if this is a problem.

Now, if we can, please, let's get back to discussing the technical specifics, pros, cons, etc. of these televisions.
post #95 of 16125
My review of the 55" 8000.

My cousin work at best buy, she's been ready to call me when they got in any 8000 or 7500 to put out. I got the call a little bit ago.

I got there just as they were hanging it up, no settings change. Picture out of the box was amazing. I did zero adjustment before watching multiple things.

I watched standard def TV (nothing much changed since last year's model.) I watched a standard Blu-Ray in 1080p, was amazing, looked wonderful next to the plasma. Plasma was noticeably darker with less rich blacks, that kind of blew me away. (was a Panasonic plasma, didn't think to check model number.) 3d Blu Ray was amazing. I've seen the tree burning scene from Avatar in theater, Imax, on multiple Sony LCD's and a Panasonic Plasma (including this one.) The 3d was best on the Samsung and Panasonic. No huge difference between the two. Incredibly pleased with all formats I viewed.

In no mode, type of programming, or anything, did I see ghosting "soap opera effect," or banding.

Now..I stayed until closing and asked my cousin if they could turn the lights off or at least down, she couldn't get her manager to let her. But we did try something else. The TV was in a cabinet that had a large lip. We turned on the camera app and then rolled the camera up so it was pitch black. We then took two large pieces of cardboard and cover as much of the cabinet as we could, it was pretty dark in the cabinet. I could see no "flashlighting" at all. Not incredibly scientific, but I feel safe ordering the TV now.

When I tried the voice command and 'gestures' there were a lot of people around, never had an issue though. It understood me fine all but one time and I have a Texan/Cajun accent. The gestures worked well considering all the movement behind me.

Now for the negatives:

I actually don't like the bezel. The LG bezel is way more attractive in my opinion. The Samsung had almost..jagged corners. They were not flush, the corners would stop short of touching each other. Almost like they were hammered into place. Really dislike that. Though I do like how LITTLE bezel there is.

The camera lags behind by 1/2 to 3/4 of a second. Noticeably more than my netbook or my PC's webcam. Less lag than a PS3 or Kinect though.

Voice command negatives weren't many, but if there was one, something I thought would be on for sure was not. I said "Channel 36." and it said unrecognized command. I thought for sure I was saying it with too much accent..no they informed me. You can only say channel up or channel down. Really disliked that. I'm on channel 3 (local NBC HD) and want to go to another channel we watch constantly? I have to say "Channel up" 312 times.

Overall:
8.5/10

I love the screen quality, a lot of fears were put to rest for me. The price is still too high (though I am buying.) The voice commands need an update to add more to them. Loved the apps, loved the 3d functionality. Can't wait to own one. If they could bring the voice commands up, i'd give it a 9. If they lowered the price by 300 dollars, a full 10.


edit: I will be going back tomorrow to play around with one in the back room (darker in there.) and can do any more tests asked of me. If I forgot something, ask me and I'll either answer or have an answer for you tomorrow.
post #96 of 16125
Glad to see you guys are enjoying your set's. It makes me even more impatient to get my pn60es8000, from samsung. They said it is being shipped by kw . Anyway, I am thinking about getting either a un60es8000 or the
pn64e8000, it just depends on the reviews from you guys. I have seen the
pn64es8000 price get ridiculusly low for an upcoming sale on April 18th, it will be $700. less than the upp. That means I could get it calibrated and still be about $350. less than an uncalibrated panny65vt50. If you guys can post pics, I would greatly appreciate it.
OH you should be able to say "channel 154" or whatever, per samsung-- and videos.

god bless
post #97 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldRommel View Post

My review of the 55" 8000.

My cousin work at best buy, she's been ready to call me when they got in any 8000 or 7500 to put out. I got the call a little bit ago.

I got there just as they were hanging it up, no settings change. Picture out of the box was amazing. I did zero adjustment before watching multiple things.

I watched standard def TV (nothing much changed since last year's model.) I watched a standard Blu-Ray in 1080p, was amazing, looked wonderful next to the plasma. Plasma was noticeably darker with less rich blacks, that kind of blew me away. (was a Panasonic plasma, didn't think to check model number.) 3d Blu Ray was amazing. I've seen the tree burning scene from Avatar in theater, Imax, on multiple Sony LCD's and a Panasonic Plasma (including this one.) The 3d was best on the Samsung and Panasonic. No huge difference between the two. Incredibly pleased with all formats I viewed.

In no mode, type of programming, or anything, did I see ghosting "soap opera effect," or banding.

Now..I stayed until closing and asked my cousin if they could turn the lights off or at least down, she couldn't get her manager to let her. But we did try something else. The TV was in a cabinet that had a large lip. We turned on the camera app and then rolled the camera up so it was pitch black. We then took two large pieces of cardboard and cover as much of the cabinet as we could, it was pretty dark in the cabinet. I could see no "flashlighting" at all. Not incredibly scientific, but I feel safe ordering the TV now.

When I tried the voice command and 'gestures' there were a lot of people around, never had an issue though. It understood me fine all but one time and I have a Texan/Cajun accent. The gestures worked well considering all the movement behind me.

Now for the negatives:

I actually don't like the bezel. The LG bezel is way more attractive in my opinion. The Samsung had almost..jagged corners. They were not flush, the corners would stop short of touching each other. Almost like they were hammered into place. Really dislike that. Though I do like how LITTLE bezel there is.

The camera lags behind by 1/2 to 3/4 of a second. Noticeably more than my netbook or my PC's webcam. Less lag than a PS3 or Kinect though.

Voice command negatives weren't many, but if there was one, something I thought would be on for sure was not. I said "Channel 36." and it said unrecognized command. I thought for sure I was saying it with too much accent..no they informed me. You can only say channel up or channel down. Really disliked that. I'm on channel 3 (local NBC HD) and want to go to another channel we watch constantly? I have to say "Channel up" 312 times.

Overall:
8.5/10

I love the screen quality, a lot of fears were put to rest for me. The price is still too high (though I am buying.) The voice commands need an update to add more to them. Loved the apps, loved the 3d functionality. Can't wait to own one. If they could bring the voice commands up, i'd give it a 9. If they lowered the price by 300 dollars, a full 10.

edit: I will be going back tomorrow to play around with one in the back room (darker in there.) and can do any more tests asked of me. If I forgot something, ask me and I'll either answer or have an answer for you tomorrow.

Take pics when u head out there tomorrow
post #98 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldRommel View Post

edit: I will be going back tomorrow to play around with one in the back room (darker in there.) and can do any more tests asked of me. If I forgot something, ask me and I'll either answer or have an answer for you tomorrow.

Please throw these slides onto a USB flash drive and see if you can get them to display on the TV(s).

Flashlight Test

What to look for: flashlighting in corners.

Uniformity Test

What to look for: vertical banding.

If both, or even either, of these issues is corrected in the ES8000, kudos to Samsung. That said, I'm not holding my breath until I see photos of these slides (or similar), or David Katzmaier's CNET review is complete.
post #99 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxrmero View Post

Take pics when u head out there tomorrow

Cannot take pictures. My Nexus One (only camera) literally blew up a couple weeks ago. Replacement phone doesn't come out till April. (HTC One X)

I'll take a USB up there with those two images and try them out if they'll let me.
post #100 of 16125
as I promised, quick review of the UN46ES8000
the set is very nice, very stylish, I like the stand, unfortunately I won't use it, as I am hanging the TV
I did not calibrate the TV, but I feel picture is sharper than my D8000, I dd not see any flashlighting dung dark scenes, picture is uniform to me, in the test that Tempest261 recommended, I hardly see kind of darker screen in the lower part of the TV horizontally, no vertical banding, the horizontal banding that you will see in the pics is just a camera artifact, it's not there in reality
quite satisfied with set, panel is TS01, voice and gesture control is cool but not a big plus for me, 3D is simply stunning, no Xtalk, brighter and at least better than D8000 which was thought to have the best 3D so far, 4 3D glasses come with the set, very light and comfortable

Enjoy the pics














post #101 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by anis_ber View Post

as I promised, quick review of the UN46ES8000
the set is very nice, very stylish, I like the stand, unfortunately I won't use it, as I am hanging the TV
I did not calibrate the TV, but I feel picture is sharper than my D8000, I dd not see any flashlighting dung dark scenes,

Looks great so far. Can you show us a pic of this slide on the TV?

EDIT: no flash please
post #102 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

Looks great so far. Can you show us a pic of this slide on the TV?

EDIT: no flash please

here you go, look previous post
post #103 of 16125
I envy all of you.

Now how about somebody hook up a CRT and do a lag test =P

Wondering if Samsung ever got around to doing what they gotta do to imrove on input lag. I ditched my gaming on my 50" B650 Samsung Plasma for my 27" Samsung LCD PC monitor, it's just better on this little monitor for some reason - waiting for a 55" to match at minimum whatever the input lag is on this monitor, which is very very minimal an close to CRT-like.
post #104 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by anis_ber View Post

here you go, look previous post

Wow, I think we can call it. The ES8000, or at least anis_ber 's unit, doesn't have flashlighting, clouding, or banding. That or my slides are bogus.

Color me impressed. I didn't think they could do it after the disaster that the D8000 was. I look forward to more examples as people get their units in.

Thanks anis_ber! I might be considering this set now instead of a plasma. The ES8000 might truly be a kick-ass TV.
post #105 of 16125
ty 4 sharing the pix!!!
post #106 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

Wow, I think we can call it. The ES8000, or at least anis_ber 's unit, doesn't have flashlighting, clouding, or banding. That or my slides are bogus.

Color me impressed. I didn't think they could do it after the disaster that the D8000 was. I look forward to more examples as people get their units in.

Thanks anis_ber! I might be considering this set now instead of a plasma. The ES8000 might truly be a kick-ass TV.

Not to go too off topic, but I don't think my UN55D8000 looks much different then his pics. Or at least doesn't look bad to me. My grayscale pics look a little worse. Can see bands in both models pretty much. But every TV has something wrong. Under normal use I'm overall happy with my D8000.









post #107 of 16125
^^ u got a good tv dude...don't have buyers remorse, even though deep in your gut..i bet u do...hehe..judt kiddin' I bought a 65d8000 last month and got a good price but after seeing more info on the new es line, I haulted the shipment half way to my door, and was lucky that the online retailer ate the shipping and I got out of it with a free RMA...I am patiently waiting for the es8000 65" to ship....I want it bad!!!
post #108 of 16125
So the TechRadar review basically says: "Lower the backlight a ton and the flashlighting, non-uniformity, clouding, etc. disappears."

That's not impressive.

We need someone who actually can calibrate it and tell us about uniformity with settings that are actually optimized for proper light output, not optimized to mask a flaw.
post #109 of 16125
Diverge, your D8000 pics look pretty sick as well! So what's better in action I wonder? A good D8000 with hardware dimming (+ software dimming) or a good ES8000 with micro dimming ultimate (software dimming only)
post #110 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by anis_ber View Post

as I promised, quick review of the UN46ES8000
the set is very nice, very stylish, I like the stand, unfortunately I won't use it, as I am hanging the TV
I did not calibrate the TV, but I feel picture is sharper than my D8000, I dd not see any flashlighting dung dark scenes, picture is uniform to me, in the test that Tempest261 recommended, I hardly see kind of darker screen in the lower part of the TV horizontally, no vertical banding, the horizontal banding that you will see in the pics is just a camera artifact, it's not there in reality
quite satisfied with set, panel is TS01, voice and gesture control is cool but not a big plus for me, 3D is simply stunning, no Xtalk, brighter and at least better than D8000 which was thought to have the best 3D so far, 4 3D glasses come with the set, very light and comfortable

Enjoy the pics















Thank u for the picture's from what u have showed me i am for sure going to be getting this tv if it's still gettting mark's like this,i dont care if people say different ,but price need's to come down ,and i would like to get a bigger size a 55 inch is fine by me .But cost is important to me .Anyway's thank u ,and have a good one with the new tv .Keep posting more picture's when u can and update use from time to time on how it still look's in the comeing month's and hope u get the right calibration from what i herd if u get the right calabration this v can be reallly stunning to look at.
post #111 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

So the TechRadar review basically says: "Lower the backlight a ton and the flashlighting, non-uniformity, clouding, etc. disappears."

That's not impressive.

We need someone who actually can calibrate it and tell us about uniformity with settings that are actually optimized for proper light output, not optimized to mask a flaw.

I'm not a pro calibrator but I have played with a bunch of TVs in my time, including the 2 LCD set up I'm using for my computer, and I've never seen a set that didn't have side effects when the brightness/backlight was cranked to the max. Even my CRT out in the living room now doesn't look good during dark scenes and in between commercials if the brightness is maxed and the room is dark.

So the fact that the article even states that you have to turn the backlight down to a reasonable level is kind of stupid. Most people should already know that, unless they like eye strain and headaches.
post #112 of 16125
got the un55es7500 coming from samsung on an "exchange upgrade" in a few days ... after reading this cant wait to get this set. i understand only difference between 8000 and 7500 is more micro dimming spots in the 8000.. (8000 has micro dimming ultimate and 7500 has micro dimming plus) i am coming from a un55d6400 so i am betting this is going to be a HUGE improvement.
cant wait to get a official samsung un55es7500 thread started,
patiently waiting!!!
post #113 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by slreno View Post

got the un55es7500 coming from samsung on an "exchange upgrade" in a few days ... after reading this cant wait to get this set. i understand only difference between 8000 and 7500 is more micro dimming spots in the 8000.. (8000 has micro dimming ultimate and 7500 has micro dimming plus) i am coming from a un55d6400 so i am betting this is going to be a HUGE improvement.
cant wait to get a official samsung un55es7500 thread started,
patiently waiting!!!

Im amazed at how giving Samsung seems to be with these ES models. This is now two people that have got upgrades through Samsung. I love my D8000 but I hope it goes to hell before my one year is up so I can get an ES lol.
post #114 of 16125
mine wasnt free though.. mine was 300 smackers from my wallet. but figured the upgrade from a d6400 was way worth the 300 bucks so jumped on it quick.. that d6400 is total junk.. clouding, flashlighting, no web, 3d is not in full hd!, list goes on and on.
post #115 of 16125
It was a late night last night, and I don't think I looked at the anis_ber greyscale pictures close enough. I do see the banding pretty well now that I've had some sleep . I also see the edge blooming that drove me nuts on the D8000. But I think you'll see edge blooming on any thin, edge-lit LED TV. I think you really need a thicker light guide and thicker bezel to prevent these kinds of issues.

I've also uploaded some new test patterns, if you guys have the patience to try them. I never got to test the previous ones on my D8000, which definitely had all of the D8000 reported issues (that weren't catastrophic anyway).

Greyscale #2

Flashlight Test #2

Another good test would be to see the TV do the flashlight test with the micro dimming off. If we see flashlighting then, it's not necessarily a BAD thing- it means that the credit is due to the new/improved micro dimming system. However that would also mean additional input lag when gaming, which is a negative- but not a huge deal, especially for those who just want the TV for movies/broadcast.
post #116 of 16125
tempest, how do i do these test? i am wanting to do these before the delivery guys even leave my house. do i download them to a thumb drive?
post #117 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by balla01 View Post

Im amazed at how giving Samsung seems to be with these ES models. This is now two people that have got upgrades through Samsung. I love my D8000 but I hope it goes to hell before my one year is up so I can get an ES lol.

I agree. If anything, Samsung has proven their customer support, and ultimately "doing the right thing". Despite which TV I get next (LCD or Plasma), it'll likely be a Samsung because of all of these stories I keep hearing.
post #118 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by slreno View Post

tempest, how do i do these test? i am wanting to do these before the delivery guys even leave my house. do i download them to a thumb drive?

Yeah it should be as easy as that. The TV should have an "app" that is designed to show off photographs. These should be interpreted as no different (they're jpegs).
post #119 of 16125
0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanielagasse View Post

www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN46ES8000-46-Inch-1080p-Silver/dp/B0074FGMA6

Finally available at amazon, wasnt comfortable with ordering it anywhere else. From looking at the review its important to update the firmware.

It's been available for over a week .

If you guys will notice, the Amazon ES8000's have a 23% discount off of MSRP. The dreaded UPP was about 2% off of MSRP. To me, this means that the UPP threats were either bogus (how the hell is Samsung going to say no to Amazon?) , or Amazon is simply ignoring them.
post #120 of 16125
Since most people have cable or satellite and a DVR box hooked up to their tv, what good would voice control be for things like telling it to change to " channel 35" ? Cuz the Channels are changed through the DVR box ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread