or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 321

post #9601 of 16125
My Smarthub just updated. Oddly, it re-installed all apps. Current version is: 4.519-5.0
post #9602 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

Very odd. I'll go check now then edit this post....
EDIT:
Sorry I don't use the hub too often but I think you were referring to the Samsung Apps app. When I tried to launch it, it said I needed to update it first. I did. Then it launched and worked fine.

Thanks, I did several reinstalls by highlighting the empty space where the Samsung App Store resides and finally populated!
Edited by badabing - 1/6/13 at 6:03pm
post #9603 of 16125
Great to hear and thanks for sharing! Early adopter too. Which size?

On a side note, maybe Samsung is updating some things, getting ready for their announcements tomorrow.
post #9604 of 16125
I am trying to connect my ES8000 65" Smart Hub to my Home Network through AllShare Play. For some reason I cannot see my network. I am connected to the internet wirelessly. Am I missing something? Please help.

Thanks,
post #9605 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

Same here - it's starting to make sense haha. My house embarrassingly looks like an Apple Store on paper. smile.gif

Know what you mean. I still have my original 128K Mac! MacBook Pro's, Air's, iPads, iPhones, the list goes on. However, I do have a Dell and an HP laptop running Windows 7N so it's balance, sort of wink.gif
post #9606 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by matnick2127 View Post

I am trying to connect my ES8000 65" Smart Hub to my Home Network through AllShare Play. For some reason I cannot see my network. I am connected to the internet wirelessly. Am I missing something? Please help.
Thanks,

Do you have a DLNA server running on your computer at home?
post #9607 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabesh View Post

My Smarthub just updated. Oddly, it re-installed all apps. Current version is: 4.519-5.0

That's what triggered my issue.. It did an automatic update, but 4.519-5.0 is the same exact version i had before the update. My apps are back to normal now. smile.gif
Edited by badabing - 1/6/13 at 6:36pm
post #9608 of 16125
Is there a way to save settings in movie mode and standard mode so you don't have to change everything when you switch from one mode to another?
post #9609 of 16125
sorry for the repeated posts. Is there a way to delete a post?
Edited by terry1hockeyfan - 1/6/13 at 6:39pm
post #9610 of 16125
The custom colors space unfortunately stays the same, but if you find one you like in say Movie mode, you can move to Standard and try to tweak it from there by adjusting the three white balance offsets.
post #9611 of 16125
Thanks Garnoch. You are always very helpful and informative.
post #9612 of 16125
sorry, I don't know why it keeps posting like this.
post #9613 of 16125
Do our LED colors look different from different angles and distances? Seems when I'm walking around the room where my LED is, looking at the shows on TV, they always seem washed out from angles and the colors aren't as vivid, but when I sit down on my couch in front of it they are back to normal, or when I'm way back in my dining room/kitchen area the TV looks good there too. I'm know this is vague but it just seems weird. I think its more of the AT&T UVerse box issue again, but wondered if most owners have these same types of visuals when viewing their TVs?
post #9614 of 16125
chrisjmccord- yep our tv has horrible viewing angles and not the UVerse.

Garnoch- I made it to the movies a few weeks ago and bought my ticket for the hobbit but than I asked if it was the 48 version...no luck, I had to come back in 3.5 hours if I wanted to watch it in that version. I'm still trying to make time to go watch it. BTW I like the soap opera effect on the 65es8000.
post #9615 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needis View Post

chrisjmccord- yep our tv has horrible viewing angles and not the UVerse.
Garnoch- I made it to the movies a few weeks ago and bought my ticket for the hobbit but than I asked if it was the 48 version...no luck, I had to come back in 3.5 hours if I wanted to watch it in that version. I'm still trying to make time to go watch it. BTW I like the soap opera effect on the 65es8000.

Ok thanks, guess the plasmas are the ones with the good angles, not that I need angles...just wondered if it was that bad or just me.
post #9616 of 16125
post #9617 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needis View Post

chrisjmccord- yep our tv has horrible viewing angles and not the UVerse.
Garnoch- I made it to the movies a few weeks ago and bought my ticket for the hobbit but than I asked if it was the 48 version...no luck, I had to come back in 3.5 hours if I wanted to watch it in that version. I'm still trying to make time to go watch it. BTW I like the soap opera effect on the 65es8000.

Ah, I definitely suggest checking it out then. I'd love to hear your take on it!
post #9618 of 16125
Im wondering if we get the hub update without the evo kit

Edit: looks like you will need the kit for any of the new features
Edited by rckrz6 - 1/6/13 at 10:14pm
post #9619 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruegway View Post

For those of you who may be interested, the banding that occurs on and LED/LCD backlit television comes from one of the layers of film uses to diffuse the backlight on the edges, and the darker lines you see are areas of higher or lower stress inherent in the film when the film was manufactured. I was involved with the development of a "diffuser film" made from polycarbonate from a major plastics manufacturer, and we sell film to Samsung, as do several other plastics manufacturers-multiple suppliers for the same product in case one has issues supplying Samsung.
There can be as many as six or seven layers of film in a LED/LCD array. I believe the" diffuser layer" is the layer causing the banding. The diffuser film spreads the backlight across the entire width of the film, instead of just lighting the area near the LED's, and on the 65" model, you can see where multiple pieces of diffuser film have been glued together to make the entire array. From the 60" and below samples of TV's I have seen at retailers, they look like 1 complete piece of film across the width of the screen-no gluing or splicing pieces together to get the screen width. No one can apparently make a 65" wide piece of diffuser film-the film is extruded on a calendaring line, and width is limited by the die and width of the calendaring rolls, which put the diffuser texture on the film. At our plant, I know we are not capable of making making greater than 60" wide diffuser film.
The narrower diffuser film used in 60" and below sets is easier to manufacture without stress lines (Banding), and on my first 65" front panel, there was a very clear demarcation line right down the middle of the set, one side being 2 or three shades darker than the section it was attached to. You can also see where the film is sliced horizontally along the width using a zig zag pattern. Wouldn't it be about right for me to have been involved with the development of film that is now biting me in the a$$ with my present TV?

That is really interesting info thank you but ....
That does not explain why we see 5 or 6 lines of vertical banding.
Should there not just be one band where the film is joined together, why so many.
If 60" and below are in one piece, surely 65" should be just 2 pieces and then just one band where thery join ?
post #9620 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabesh View Post

My Smarthub just updated. Oddly, it re-installed all apps. Current version is: 4.519-5.0

That's what triggered my issue.. It did an automatic update, but 4.519-5.0 is the same exact version i had before the update. My apps are back to normal now. smile.gif
That's odd. I wonder if mine was the sane version before the update too!
post #9621 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin View Post

That is really interesting info thank you but ....
That does not explain why we see 5 or 6 lines of vertical banding.
Should there not just be one band where the film is joined together, why so many.
If 60" and below are in one piece, surely 65" should be just 2 pieces and then just one band where thery join ?


That's a real good point - - I suspect that the bands are where the LED's are? But it doesn't explain why some 65" panels are better than others. Less light leakage?

My vertical banding TV (sent back) - had horrific bands - - very noticeable on all content. My current panel has very slight banding and only visible if you know what to look for and on specific shots - - like fast panning, golf, "cam" or sky shots.

Sports are pristine - - CNN - - not a hint of banding - - anywhere. I also believe that some "shots" lend themselves to banding - - if you have constant light and not dramatic changes from light to dark, you will see no banding (at least on my set).
post #9622 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

That's a real good point - - I suspect that the bands are where the LED's are? But it doesn't explain why some 65" panels are better than others. Less light leakage?
My vertical banding TV (sent back) - had horrific bands - - very noticeable on all content. My current panel has very slight banding and only visible if you know what to look for and on specific shots - - like fast panning, golf, "cam" or sky shots.
Sports are pristine - - CNN - - not a hint of banding - - anywhere. I also believe that some "shots" lend themselves to banding - - if you have constant light and not dramatic changes from light to dark, you will see no banding (at least on my set).

Hey Rico.... Your description fits my set to a tee also. Certain movies like the expendables 2 or Kung fu panda 3d that I recently watched had virtually no banding and was only visible by staring at the sky in certain shots. Where as looper had a fast panning scene and a light to dark sky shot that was really noticeable. But overall, the banding only really is noticeable when you specifically look for on certain shots. Underwater scenes seem to bring out the banding as well such as the seal scene in under the sea near the end. But then you see the potato fish scene and it makes it all worth it.

I'll be interested to see if the 2013 65 inches still suffer from banding.
post #9623 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Hey Rico.... Your description fits my set to a tee also. Certain movies like the expendables 2 or Kung fu panda 3d that I recently watched had virtually no banding and was only visible by staring at the sky in certain shots. Where as looper had a fast panning scene and a light to dark sky shot that was really noticeable. But overall, the banding only really is noticeable when you specifically look for on certain shots. Underwater scenes seem to bring out the banding as well such as the seal scene in under the sea near the end. But then you see the potato fish scene and it makes it all worth it.
I'll be interested to see if the 2013 65 inches still suffer from banding.

All Edge lit LED/LCD's will have banding to some degree. I can spot banding on everyone. Some, of course are worse than others.
post #9624 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt989 View Post

All Edge lit LED/LCD's will have banding to some degree. I can spot banding on everyone. Some, of course are worse than others.



...... really ?


We have a Samsung Series 6 LED in our dining room and that has a perfect unifom none-banding screen.

I have never seen banding before, prior to seeing it on the 65" Series 8.
post #9625 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt989 View Post

All Edge lit LED/LCD's will have banding to some degree. I can spot banding on everyone. Some, of course are worse than others.
I've read all of this banding stuff, and I maybe saw it once on my TV for about 2 seconds on a view of very light sky. I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't been looking for it because of this forum. I have the impression that in order to have it piss you off you need to be showing a "slide" of almost a white screen with the backlight cranked up and stare at that. Normal TV won't really show it unless your TV isn't made right. And that may happen too often with this set, but I don't really know that. Just my 0.02.
post #9626 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post

I've read all of this banding stuff, and I maybe saw it once on my TV for about 2 seconds on a view of very light sky. I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't been looking for it because of this forum. I have the impression that in order to have it piss you off you need to be showing a "slide" of almost a white screen with the backlight cranked up and stare at that. Normal TV won't really show it unless your TV isn't made right. And that may happen too often with this set, but I don't really know that. Just my 0.02.

If you have a 65, banding is noticeable on any content, not just slides. It's a limitation of the design. If you don't see it, you are fortunate but it is still there. You just may not be as sensitive to it in the same way others aren't bothered or don't notice buzzing on plasma or dead pixels, etc.
post #9627 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

es8000 bro's, I highly recommend the VUDU and it's UltraViolet section whether you stream from bluray player or the 8000. It's quality stuff, easy to setup, easy to build your library in the cloud.
You can stream std, 720 or 1080. I'll be curious how other 8000's perform on this. Mine is streamed via my e6500 bluray player cuz you all know I'm on FW minus 00003 LOL!!!
It looks like an amazing way to upgrade some ownership and archive in the cloud as opposed to buying the sets if you dont want to store the discs.

Speaking of Vudu, it was announced today that you'll be able to convert your library from home, even SD to HD. I may have to get in on that.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/vudu-disc-to-to-digital-at-home-ios-downloads/
post #9628 of 16125
no. I don't. Where do I get that?
post #9629 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

Do you have a DLNA server running on your computer at home?


No I don't have the DLNA server on my computer. Where do I get that and do I need for every computer I have in the house?
post #9630 of 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

If you have a 65, banding is noticeable on any content, not just slides. It's a limitation of the design. If you don't see it, you are fortunate but it is still there. You just may not be as sensitive to it in the same way others aren't bothered or don't notice buzzing on plasma or dead pixels, etc.

^Perhaps you've mis/overstated?

I'd say that the kind of content likely to produce visible banding has been well documented on this thread-and what I've read is consistent with what I see on mine. AFAIK blue or green color, as in blue sky or soccer field, will tend to bring it out. Combine that with a panning shot and/or motion in some of the content and it is more likely to be evident. (Let's refer to that for the moment as "banding-prone content")

AFAIK the extent of banding appears to vary considerably panel-to-panel. On the best 65" panels, it is barely noticable/minimal even with "banding-prone content". With the worst panels, it is very distracting with "banding-prone content" and may well be evident on other content.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread