or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 331

post #9901 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

I apologize ahead of time for the fact that this is coming from an Apple site, but it was reporting on Brian White's (of Topeka Capital Markets) thoughts on the TV biz and he seems to have mentioned the following....

"Of note at this year's show is Samsung's Evolution Kit, a hardware upgrade that will boost functionality in last year's HDTV sets. The kit is expected to be available in the second quarter of this year, and Samsung has promised a three-year commitment to customers, so that a 2012 smart TV can use 2015 features."

That stands in contrast to the supposed confirmation that the Evo Kit would be out in March and to the video of the Samsung exec saying it would be supported for 4 years, so that a 2012 smart TV can use up to 2016 features.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/01/10/2013-smart-tvs-dismissed-as-not-that-smart-leaving-opportunity-for-apple
March is almost the second quarter I don't think it's that far off. And I'm betting that the whole Evolution Kit thing's success will depend on what new features one gets for their several hundred bucks, how many hundred bucks it costs, and how many original owners like us buy into it. If it doen't do much, costs a lot, and nobody buys it it will probably go the way of the Microsoft Zune.
post #9902 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post

March is almost the second quarter I don't think it's that far off. And I'm betting that the whole Evolution Kit thing's success will depend on what new features one gets for their several hundred bucks, how many hundred bucks it costs, and how many original owners like us buy into it. If it doen't do much, costs a lot, and nobody buys it it will probably go the way of the Microsoft Zune.

I wouldn't even think of adding an Evolution Kit until they can prove to me that my tv is running correctly. Right now it's not!
post #9903 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

Wow, awesome. Can you come organize my stuff!? lol...I might have more questions on this, so keep near.

Ha sorry, just saw this being it was on the previous page. I've never posted pics of my ES here because it's hard to get exactly what's seen in person, but now you have an idea of what mine looks like in a completely dark room. And ask away, but you may want to make it a PM because I doubt anyone else here would want to read about it. smile.gif
post #9904 of 16126
Is it just me or is smart hub running extremely slow lately
post #9905 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

Cinema Black was initially taken away for the ES line but showed up again on the ES9000. Based on this article, it may be back with the F series. This was a hardware feature before though so I wouldn't expect this from the Evo Kit.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-ue60f8000_TV_review

So I guess we can assume the F8000 is an edge lit local dimmer? How poorly marketed it's been thus far. You would think they would have more specs/features listed for it already. Right now the general public has no clue that it's any different from the ES8000 except with a faster processor and better hub

I would be a little jealous of the edge-lit dimming, but I'm really not at the end of the day because of banding concerns. When I had the D8000, it was a crapshoot for most peple trying to get a good panel, and banding was way more widespread even on the 55". They returned mine no questions asked, and the person I spoke to knew it was a problem with that model

Which made me wonder if it was just a problem with Samsung's edge-lit dimmers, but looking into Sony's HX850 series and many of them seem to suffer from banding as well. I think for me Full array local dimming or no hardware software dimming is the way to go - unless you want to play the panel lottery
post #9906 of 16126
some more pics guys




also my smart tv apps are gone too and can't logon to get other apps... error 002, 003, ...
wtf is going on!? it took me like 30 min to get into samsung apps... (samsung server overcharged?)
got youtube, plex, skype, and more... and today everything is gone...


ps: my tv doesn't has this options at all...

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]
and
Black Enhancer: Off

maybe because of the software version!?
Edited by vartaxe - 1/10/13 at 4:08pm
post #9907 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman123 View Post

hello

Was it Best Buy Geek Squad who did the calibration in the past?
Did they use a light meter?
How much did you pay?

Yeah it was them, they did use a light meter and paid 100 bucks
post #9908 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by vartaxe View Post

some more pics guys





also my smart tv apps are gone too and can't logon to get other apps... error 002, 003, ...
wtf is going on!? it took me like 30 min to get into samsung apps... (samsung server overcharged?)
got youtube, plex, skype, and more... and today everything is gone...


ps: my tv doesn't has this options at all...

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]
and
Black Enhancer: Off

maybe because of the software version!?

Your missing apps because theres a hub update, i recieved the update and it took a super long time to download.. Im still having connectivities problems and the hub is super slow. Also would be wise to take your serial # down wink.gif
Edited by rckrz6 - 1/10/13 at 2:04pm
post #9909 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckrz6 View Post

Your missing apps because theres a hub update, i recieved the update and it took a super long time to download.. Im still having connectivities problems and the hub is super slow. Also would be wise to take your serial # down wink.gif

thats such bull ****... does the hub update itslelf? because i got no notification at all... and they shouldn't update/delate anything without confirmation!!! whats a faillure from samsung... imagine the day that samsung stop giving our tv support... somehow we need to factory reset the tv... and how the hell are we getting the apps again!?

samsung shame on you
post #9910 of 16126
also i just found this: (probably old news but im new to samsung tv's...)

[23:34] * Now talking in #samygo
[23:34] * Topic is 'SamyGO Project - Wiki: http://wiki.samygo.tv - Forum: http://forum.samygo.tv - Compatibility: http://*******/neUgKN'

also for lg people (wich i own too)

[19:44] * Now talking in #openlgtv
[19:44] * Topic is 'Open LG TV firmware modding community: http://openlgtv.org.ru/'


both irc channels are on freenode
post #9911 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckrz6 View Post

Your missing apps because theres a hub update, i recieved the update and it took a super long time to download.. Im still having connectivities problems and the hub is super slow. Also would be wise to take your serial # down wink.gif

so now without plex can't watch my movies... great.


btw why take the serial down? what can people do with that information!? i mean i paid the tv and have my ticket lol
post #9912 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by vartaxe View Post

thats such bull ****... does the hub update itslelf? because i got no notification at all... and they shouldn't update/delate anything without confirmation!!! whats a faillure from samsung... imagine the day that samsung stop giving our tv support... somehow we need to factory reset the tv... and how the hell are we getting the apps again!?

samsung shame on you

Open hub and let it sit for a min.. an update window should apear and reinstall everything
post #9913 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckrz6 View Post

Open hub and let it sit for a min.. an update window should apear and reinstall everything
So this Smarthub thing updates itself automatically right, when you open it up? It just does it, it doesn't give you the option to click and say NO. The actual firmware doesn't do that unless you tell it to, and if you start it by accident you can abort the update (I did that once). I wonder why those 2 things are differerent, it doesn't make sense. The only thing I can think of is that Samsung gets paid by Netflix and Hulu to pimp their stuff on the screen so they have to update those companies stuff and they don't trust you to allow that. In that regard has anyone ever tried to or been successful at deleting an app from the Smarthub (and if so how)? I've installed a couple that I'd like to get off the screen. I wager that we cannot delete the ones that came with the TV, just like you can't get rid of some of the bloatware apps that Verizon sends to your phone.
post #9914 of 16126
From AV Forums today - Credit to the original posters for the information
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLL 
I've got a support reply from Samsung saying, that their whole Smart Hub server backbone went down last Saturday. So Samsung are working on bringing them online full functioning again. But it could take some time before everything was up and running normal again. And they didn't say anything about which countries that where hit with the problems
I guess this explain the strange loosing apps + other SH problems. They said nothing about when everything should be running again, so I guess we have to wait and see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaNorway 
Everything should be back online by 18:00 CET today if all goes well

Just got off the phone, the problem with the servers appears more serious than first thought, the latest info is "within the next day or two" to have the service back to full speed . . .

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1727401-samsung-ue-es8000-owners-thread-part-9-a-3.html
Edited by gamermwm - 1/10/13 at 3:48pm
post #9915 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

Am I the only one out here still on FW 1013? That is what was on it when delivered in June and I never let it connect. For reasonable money many of you may like using the Sammy smart hub via their bluray players. No drama for using the e6500.

In still 1013. Not hard wired. No cable or satellite. Use Leaf antennae and enjoy free HD. And no annoying update messes.
post #9916 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDragoon View Post

Yeah it was them, they did use a light meter and paid 100 bucks

I saw this website:
http://www.geeksquad.com/services/tv-video/tv-calibration.aspx
I mentions ISF calibration (=meter), with written assessment, for 249.99$.

So for your 100bucks, what did you buy? Do you have any documents showing what kind of service is offered for 100$?
post #9917 of 16126
J
Quote:
Originally Posted by vartaxe View Post

thats such bull ****... does the hub update itslelf? because i got no notification at all... and they shouldn't update/delate anything without confirmation!!! whats a faillure from samsung... imagine the day that samsung stop giving our tv support... somehow we need to factory reset the tv... and how the hell are we getting the apps again!?

samsung shame on you

You need to bear in mind that this whole Smart TV malarkey is still in its infancy. For the most part, it's an afterthought in panels ATM... I have used the pana, samsung and Sony smart TV functions and they all feel tacked on to some degree. I don't use them at all, they don't really do anything that a PS3, QNAP, 360 or even a few files on a USB thumb drive can't do.

1000
post #9918 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevess View Post

I'm having a problem the last few days of the app screen popping up for a split second, then the show comes back. It flashes up so fast, sometimes I can barely tell what it is, other times it must pop up for a longer time or something because I can tell it looks like that app screen I never use.

Has anyone else seen this issue? I looked back a few pages in the posts, but the only thing close seems to be some network connectivity problems with the Smart Hub.

Everyone is complaining about this in multiple post over at the CNET Samsung forum. Scroll down and read the many different smart hub complaints. Alot of folks don't know what to call this "glitch" . So there are many different post. But smart hub appears to flash up only once, within the first few minutes of power up. This problem has been like this for months now with no fix,, just broken promises. They were supose to have an update out in late December, but that went south fast and did not happen. Then a few days ago my smart hub apps automatically deleted itself and was messed up bad. I eventually got it back, but it was on the same glitching firmware. This is very upsetting. How Samsung can enjoy themselves at CES 2013, by bragging of upcoming goodies when we all have messed up firmware in our TV's is a shame. There seems to be no priority on the smart hub glitch. This is unexceptable. frown.gif

http://forums.cnet.com/samsung-forum/?tag=rb_dnaWrap;rb_content

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-580089/smart-hub-glitch/

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-582310/no-application-on-my-smart-tv-where-did-alla-of-them-go/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-582396/smarthub-issues/?tag=contentBody;threadListing
Edited by badabing - 1/11/13 at 3:59am
post #9919 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post

Everyone is complaining about this in multiple post over at the CNET Samsung forum. Scroll down and read the many different smart hub complaints. Alot of folks don't know what to call this "glitch" . So there are many different post. But smart hub appears to flash up only once, within the first few minutes of power up. This problem has been like this for months now with no fix,, just broken promises. They were supose to have an update out in late December, but that went south fast and did not happen. Then a few days ago my smart hub apps automatically deleted itself and was messed up bad. I eventually got it back, but it was on the same glitching firmware. This is very upsetting. How Samsung can enjoy themselves at CES 2013, by bragging of upcoming goodies when we all have messed up firmware in our TV's is a shame. There seems to be no priority on the smart hub glitch. This is unexceptable. frown.gif

http://forums.cnet.com/samsung-forum/?tag=rb_dnaWrap;rb_content

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-580089/smart-hub-glitch/

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-582310/no-application-on-my-smart-tv-where-did-alla-of-them-go/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-582396/smarthub-issues/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

Great info. I guess I didn't real know how big a deal this was. I have not done much, if anything at all with the SH since owning the set. (nearly 8 months) I do see the quick flash glitch after power up still. Shame they can't get a handle on it. Thanks for sharing.
post #9920 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post

Everyone is complaining about this in multiple post over at the CNET Samsung forum. Scroll down and read the many different smart hub complaints. Alot of folks don't know what to call this "glitch" . So there are many different post. But smart hub appears to flash up only once, within the first few minutes of power up. This problem has been like this for months now with no fix,, just broken promises. They were supose to have an update out in late December, but that went south fast and did not happen. Then a few days ago my smart hub apps automatically deleted itself and was messed up bad. I eventually got it back, but it was on the same glitching firmware. This is very upsetting. How Samsung can enjoy themselves at CES 2013, by bragging of upcoming goodies when we all have messed up firmware in our TV's is a shame. There seems to be no priority on the smart hub glitch. This is unexceptable. frown.gif

http://forums.cnet.com/samsung-forum/?tag=rb_dnaWrap;rb_content

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-580089/smart-hub-glitch/

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-582310/no-application-on-my-smart-tv-where-did-alla-of-them-go/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-582396/smarthub-issues/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

It seems like mine is now almost back to normal. Guess they fixed whatever was wrong.
post #9921 of 16126
I was streaming from the SmartHub last night via my e6500 player with no issues. I may expose myself to "stupidity" here but if the SH is having issues, wouldnt I see it manifest in some way using the apps via my Samsung bluray player SH?

I have had no glitches in the past week using Vudu, Netflix, Hulu, Pandora and a few others. The only item that is not available is Flixster but I get a Flixster specific message as opposed to system message saying "service available soon"
post #9922 of 16126
Some apps on my ES8000 are still missing and all apps specific settings are gone. Apps are installed on the TV, NOT on their server. Why Samsung Network send out commands to delete apps? Were they hacked or they don't know what they are doing? Mistake can happen once, but not twice on big scale server like thiers' !!!
post #9923 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 View Post

J
You need to bear in mind that this whole Smart TV malarkey is still in its infancy. For the most part, it's an afterthought in panels ATM... I have used the pana, samsung and Sony smart TV functions and they all feel tacked on to some degree. I don't use them at all, they don't really do anything that a PS3, QNAP, 360 or even a few files on a USB thumb drive can't do.

1000

+1 I agree.


Cheers!smile.gif
post #9924 of 16126
- 1
I disagree with both of you; we are in 2013 and adding computing components to large screens are not exactly state-of-the-art WoW factors anymore. I opened my ES8000 and there are only 2 motherboards sits on both sides and a camera module on top – that’s it. Most Smartphone have better CPU, RAM, Storage and GPU. Sadly our TVs are not evolving towards all-in-one computing/screen device fast enough because all manufacturers are very good at price fixing instead of offering more innovation with quality products. Apple should get into the segment of the market ASAP with their superior know how and challenge all other incumbents.
post #9925 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post

So this Smarthub thing updates itself automatically right, when you open it up? It just does it, it doesn't give you the option to click and say NO. The actual firmware doesn't do that unless you tell it to, and if you start it by accident you can abort the update (I did that once). I wonder why those 2 things are differerent, it doesn't make sense. The only thing I can think of is that Samsung gets paid by Netflix and Hulu to pimp their stuff on the screen so they have to update those companies stuff and they don't trust you to allow that. In that regard has anyone ever tried to or been successful at deleting an app from the Smarthub (and if so how)? I've installed a couple that I'd like to get off the screen. I wager that we cannot delete the ones that came with the TV, just like you can't get rid of some of the bloatware apps that Verizon sends to your phone.

You are correct smart hub updates itself automatically unlike firmware. To delete highlight icon press tools on remote then choose delete in the menu
post #9926 of 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserES8000 View Post

- 1
I disagree with both of you; we are in 2013 and adding computing components to large screens are not exactly state-of-the-art WoW factors anymore. I opened my ES8000 and there are only 2 motherboards sits on both sides and a camera module on top – that’s it. Most Smartphone have better CPU, RAM, Storage and GPU. Sadly our TVs are not evolving towards all-in-one computing/screen device fast enough because all manufacturers are very good at price fixing instead of offering more innovation with quality products. Apple should get into the segment of the market ASAP with their superior know how and challenge all other incumbents.

Yea I had my tv serviced. . Main board, power supply board and camera module.. for being dual core the tv has very poor performance.. my old single core cell phone runs circles around this tv
Edited by rckrz6 - 1/11/13 at 8:53am
post #9927 of 16126
Sure enough after I post yesterday about my Smarthub not needing updates it updated itself last night. Took all the apps away and then updated/added them back in stages. Took about 10-15 minutes and if I switched to watch TV in the middle of it the update process halted. I also hate that I have to sign into Netflix every day that I use it. You can't connect to it without signing on using that cumbersome remote thingy.
EDIT: My Smarthub does not "flash".
Edited by thebignewt - 1/11/13 at 10:54am
post #9928 of 16126
Am I the only one that thinks the Smart Hub glitch is getting a little blown out of proportion? Is it annoying? Yes. Especially for myself because when it does the "flash" my AVR goes into ARC mode, which it should do when the Smart Hub activates, but it doesn't come back like it does when I actually access and exit the Smart Hub. So, I have to tell my AVR to go back to my watching source each time it does that. Not that big of a deal for me, but my wife for whatever reason can't figure that out. If it happens and I'm not at home, she simply can't watch TV.

Anyway, there's just some comments in this thread that seem a little dramatic. Like the mention that Samsung being at CES and doing what they're doing there is "shameful" because of the Smart Hub glitch. Seriously? Do you expect Samsung to not be at CES revealing their new stuff because the Smart Hub flashes a few minutes after the TV is turned on? Do you really think the reps at CES have anything to do with getting that glitch resolved?

Also, to say that most smart phones have a better CPU, memory and GPU than this TV has is simply not even close to being true. To say your smart phone isn't slow like this TV is comparing apples to oranges. Your smart phone isn't doing anywhere near the processing this TV is doing, so you can't compare the two. Your smart phone probably does have more storage than the TV does, so that's a valid statement.

Finally, I usually try to look at things like this from an optimistic point of view. Am I going to get worked up about something like this when I am so blessed in life? Absolutely not! I'm also a software engineer so I tend to try to figure out what may be going on with this glitch. For example, if I had to guess, I would say that the glitch wasn't fixed sooner because maybe they weren't able to find a way to fix it with a simple update and finally had to do a complete reinstall of a new version of the Smart Hub app. Maybe that's why some people have experienced all the apps missing and then being added or downloaded again. That makes sense to me, but who really knows other than the people at Samsung that are working on this stuff. At the very least it should confirm that there is work and attention being placed on the Smart Hub app from Samsung.

As I mentioned I'm a software engineer so I understand the process of writing and releasing software. No matter how much internal testing is done, you will never find every single bug or glitch until it goes to production and pushed live to the masses.

Am I seriously missing something? Is this Smart Hub flash doing more to people than just flashing on the screen for a second? Also, I noticed that my TV did not do that this morning when I turned it on, so maybe they did fix it? Is anyone still having the flash at startup?
post #9929 of 16126
Jestered,

I see your point of view. First of all, we all wanted a good smart TV, hence we bought this one. I like this TV, but would you agree Samsung is one of the top tech companies in the world? And they should have a very good QA section in their coding team? Half baked things are not baked, Period smile.gif Your apple and orange argument - because you are a software engineer you'll understand - what type of GPU is needed to process 1080p resolution and little multi tasking? For example, you should check the specs of Galaxy Note II and compare with ES8000. You'll know how Samsung is making billions smile.gif quarter after quarter. I opened the TV and I know what is inside smile.gif

I love everything about the ES8000 except:
* Clouding (I buy the argument of light bleeding inherent to edge lit panel, but not clouding).
* Can't type in Netflix and YouTube with Samsung Made keyboard.
* SmartHub reliability and poor integration.
* Voice and Motion control (I'll let this slide because it’s their first attempt).
* No remote app for their flagship device (i.e., Galaxy SIII) iOS? No. Remote App is " Samsung SmartView" for iOS and "Alshare™ Control for Android. (Thanks to Jestered and mshawqi)
Edited by UserES8000 - 1/11/13 at 2:22pm
post #9930 of 16126
I bought my 8000 for the picture quality only and always planned on keeping it dumb and disconnected as opposed to "Smart"....i am glad I stuck to my agenda.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread