or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz SR7005 vs. Comparable Processor + Amp combo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marantz SR7005 vs. Comparable Processor + Amp combo

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Looking at the Marantz SR7005 and I was wondering what you guys would suggest for a comparison between it and a processor/amp combo.

Obviously the processor/amp combo has the ability to replace the processor in the future as technologies advance.

I would like to stay in that price range ($1500-2000) for the combos.

Any suggestions?

Would like 7.1 surround (9.x would be cool but I dont see it necessary).
Video and Audio processing
Internet ready (ie pandora etc)
Audyssey or comparable.
post #2 of 14
I think it would be hard to find new products in that price range, you'll most likely have to buy used or refurbished.
The Marantz AV7005 can be found used for around $1000 or so.
Onkyo/Integra has some options around that price; a used Integra DHC-80.2 or Onkyo PRSC 5508. Integra also has the DHC-40.2, which retailed for $1200.

Seven-channel amps from Emotiva or Outlaw come up used on Audiogon once in a while, like this: http://app.audiogon.com/listings/out...y-heavy-93-lbs

Accessories4Less has some good deals on refurbs:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...plifier/1.html
post #3 of 14
Consider the Denon 4311CI (9.2) and forget about the additional amp. Features the better version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and can be found brand new on the low end of your budget by "calling" Electronics Expo or AV Science.
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Not opposed to going used...

In fact if used gets me better quality components I would be happy.

Also would not be opposed to finding 3 2 channels, 2 mono and a 7.1 or 9.2 receiver/processor
post #5 of 14
What speakers are you driving?
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post

What speakers are you driving?

Not sure yet.

I'll be piecing this system together 1 part at a time.

Though speakers are first (i have a Marantz 1120 that can power speakers for now)

You can see the suggestions and price range Im going for in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1399344

I honestly plan on one purchase a month for as long as it takes me to get everything.
post #7 of 14
jdsmoothie is right on the money. I doubt you will need any external amp with a 4311 and its an awesome piece of electronics for the money. If you find you do need an external amp(s), however, you can always add them later, like maybe a 2 channel to power the mains or a three channel to power the front three if you get into a 7 or 9 channel system. I can tell you even if you do have external power, its nice to have the internal amps as back-up power or to power the surrounds, rears, wides, etc., as needed.
post #8 of 14
i read your speaker thread...

to be honest, you are going about this backwards... you'd be much better off (if you need an avr today) to lower your sights on electronics...

spend your money on speakers and subs...
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

i read your speaker thread...

to be honest, you are going about this backwards... you'd be much better off (if you need an avr today) to lower your sights on electronics...

spend your money on speakers and subs...

so spending ~3000 on speakers/subs is not enough?
post #10 of 14
whether it's "enough" or not is up to the buyer...

but that would be it should be spent first...

using your own logic from the other thread... speakers are more immune to technology advances than electronics... and technology in electronics trickles down... the tech that is available in a totl avr today may be available in a midlevel one 2 years from now...

it's up to you what to do... but i'm comfortable with the "speakers/subs" first philosophy... you have stated that you will be acquiring stuff over time... if you were going to go out and buy everything tomorrow in one shot, the answer would be different (although i personally wouldn't spend $2k on electronics and $3k on speakers/subs, that's an individual decision)...
post #11 of 14
To OP: I agree with nailing down your front three (L/R/C) and sub(s) before worrying about the electronics. If you are buying in phases, by the time you buy the electronics the new models might have something better for cheaper and the "now current" models will likely be cheaper or on closeout. I also think you might be overestimating how much power your new speakers might need to sound both loud and clear. That's why its best to figure out exactly what speakers you are going to have before you try and determine the electronics and whether a separate amp will be required. You might be pleasantly surprised at how little you have to spend on electronics to get a great sounding system.
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post

To OP: I agree with nailing down your front three (L/R/C) and sub(s) before worrying about the electronics. If you are buying in phases, by the time you buy the electronics the new models might have something better for cheaper and the "now current" models will likely be cheaper or on closeout. I also think you might be overestimating how much power your new speakers might need to sound both loud and clear. That's why its best to figure out exactly what speakers you are going to have before you try and determine the electronics and whether a separate amp will be required. You might be pleasantly surprised at how little you have to spend on electronics to get a great sounding system.

I plan on purchasing my front stereo speakers here in the next few days. will all depend upon what is available on the market.
post #13 of 14
Exciting! Let us know what you decide on for speakers.
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post

Exciting! Let us know what you decide on for speakers.

It's going to depend what I can find on the used market. but the other thread has the suggestions.

I really will be looking for neutral sound so I will of course be reading reviews every time. (the Monitor RS6's seem nice as hell just as an idea where I am leaning)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz SR7005 vs. Comparable Processor + Amp combo